Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2020

Amanda25 gave recommendations to Ifrrwll
@Amanda25 waaaah thank you so much for your recommendations!!! i’m so sorry i couldn’t finish any more than silver spoon (though i am still working on dusk maiden of amnesia), but i really appreciated your recs and the well thought out descriptions you sent along with them!! i will definitely get around to finishing them all at some point, so don’t worry about that :D you can check out my thoughts on silver spoon here if you haven’t seen it already: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/posts/2216412
thank you once again :love:

Sorry for my Santa @taek1230 for me being late to post here T.T I was trying to finish all the recs, but I couldn't in time :/
Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I enjoyed them a lot !
Perfect Blue was something I never considered watching (by the way, I wonder what motivated the pick, hahah?), and I think is very funny that it was recommended as I said I was avoiding mindf*cks serious anime xD But oh God it was a masterpiece, I'm really happy I watched it, and now I need to check out more about Satoshi Kon, wow! This movie needs to be more known.

Ameagari was one I was very skeptical (because age gap) at first too, but it totally impressed me, it was verry warm, GORGEOUS and really cute, it didn't went down the weird route, and I really enjoyed the ride and the ending, I love these anime that have some chill vibes and warm feels, so nice one as well!

Lastly, it was Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou that I'm still watching, and I need to thank you for reminding me about this one, it's one I wated to watch but forgot about it! I LOVE comedies so I'm having a nice time with this one too.

So, in the end, I totally liked everything, it was a pretty nice gift, thanks again and have a nice 2021 =]

I am glad you liked Good Luck Girl! I indeed thought it was funny. I heard you like to challenge yourself so hence the reason why I dropped Boys Over Flowers. Hope your holidays are beautiful and 2021 is a great year for you and yours.
Yeah, normally I would've been able to finish Boys Over Flowers on time (I remember several years back I managed to watch two 50+ episode series before Christmas), but due to a combination of getting distracted by reading fanfics and having an old and shitty laptop, I got behind on it. Anyways, I hope you had a good holidays too!

@Amanda25 waaaah thank you so much for your recommendations!!! i’m so sorry i couldn’t finish any more than silver spoon (though i am still working on dusk maiden of amnesia), but i really appreciated your recs and the well thought out descriptions you sent along with them!! i will definitely get around to finishing them all at some point, so don’t worry about that :D you can check out my thoughts on silver spoon here if you haven’t seen it already: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/posts/2216412
thank you once again :love:

Awwwwnnn I missed your post, so I'm glad you warned me! I'm SUPER happy that you liked it, your posts warmed my heart, they're really cute!

No problem at all if you don't finish them all, life can be pretty hectic at times hahah. I had a lot of fun writing up the recs, so thanks a lot =D
If you want more recs or something you can talk to me! Have a nice 2021 =]

I'm quite happy in the Santa department, but I think my recipient is either uninterested or doesn't frequent the forums, so here are my recs in case any of them strike someone's fancy for the new year:

Main:
1: March Comes in Like a Lion
An unevenly and haphazardly paced, playful - while serious underneath, or maybe back and forth - mix of depression and hopefulness, loneliness, desire and passivity, and other warring emotions. It works on the question of how to live, when you can't find anyone or anything to live for. What to do, when you're so tired of simply surviving, and just want to rest and let the world pass you by? Among other various issues each character finds themselves facing.
2: Tamen de Gushi
A sweet romance of two girls who've only just met at a busstop.​
3: Log Horizon
Person in a Strange World, Shiroe and his allies play a video-game-turned-real-life, or vice versa, and try to uncover the secrets of the world in order to get back to the real world safely. I mostly like the large cast of characters and each of their developments, as well as the science, politics, and mysteries of the world, and the camaraderie of many different competitive individuals attempting to organize themselves enough to work effectively towards a common goal.
Season 3 has been promised and delayed for many years, but we may actually hopefully possibly get it in 2021.
Bonus:
4: Orange (Anime or Manga)
A relatively short story of a group of friends who go back in time in an attempt to prevent one of the members from committing suicide. Knowing both the future and the past, what sacrifices will need to be made? And can you even save someone if they don't want to be saved?​
5: Horimiya (Manga)
A relatively typical awesome comedy / slice of life school romance. Interesting cast of characters, notably without the various unrealistic "wtf?" choices that are commonly made in this genre to spur plot development.
Story is complete, but there are still many, many "extra" chapters being published.

Last edited:
@DuoAchievement Oh my god, your recommendations were through the roof! Banana Fish was a bit underwhelming by the end, but Nozaki-kun and Fruits Basket were downright amazing from beginning to end! I unfortunately didn't get around to Wolf Children, but I'd love to watch it sometime soon. Thanks so much again, and happy holidays!

Just finished Erased, and I wanna thank my Secret Santa for this amazing recommendation.

Firstly, I was originally planning to watch Erased by my own will at some point.
Secondly, I had heard some stuff about it, either bad or good, but was still willing to give it a shot.
Thirdly, THANK YOU!

Notice: This is not really a review, but rather a small look of the series.

Erased was really good, and had me completely hooked through the whole series. I love the combination of the different themes in it, mystery + horror/thriller + serial killers + crimes + psychological manipulation + melancholic + drama + supernatural, all of that is one of my favorite combinations and got me really interested! I loved the concept and the horrific psychology of the story, but also how the Anime got time travel and supernatural phenomena throughout the series. Almost binged watched it and completed it under 2 days, would have been 1 if it hadn't been for studies, activities and school lol.
Although Erased seemed like a strong 9 or even a 10 for me, I have to express my complaints about the ending of the story, which I believe was, sadly, poorly written, so obvious and predictable and basically not as good as it could have been, it had so much potential and could have been so much better! Got me kind of disappointed, not going to lie there. Just because of the ending, Erased couldn't have been rated like a perfect or an amazing show, which is devastating to admit.

Despite that, it doesn't change my mind that this show is good, no matter how the ending was portrayed. I know there is a manga of it, which I'm planning on reading one day, that displays the ending of the show so much better and explains why the Anime ending was bad compared to it. However, many have called the show trash 'cause of it or very terrible, which I highly disagree with. I could never call Erased a bad series just because the last episodes were not well made. Of course it brings the score of the Anime lower, but not to a point where the show is bad, since it had me interested and hooked for a long time. I added it to one of my favorite Anime of all time, because I can rarely find a series that contains so many things that get me interested. I love watching young kids solving crimes or generally going through an adventure, supernatural phenomena, serial killer cases and crimes, mysteries and a horrific atmosphere, psychological issues, etc!

Having all that said, I believe Erased is a really good show for anyone looking for a mystery Anime, just don't expect too much from the ending.
ANIMATION: 7.5/10 (Not that special, but fitting with the series)
SOUND: 8.5/10 (Fitted well enough with the atmosphere and the theme of the series)
CHARACTERS: 7.5/10 (Not bad at all and sometimes enjoyable, but not that special. However, it doesn't ruin the series)
STORY: 7/10 (3 points not given because of the ending's poor direction and progression. Rest of it was purely amazing)
OVERALL: 7/10 (Very enjoyable for fans of thriller, mystery and crimes until a certain point)
DO I RECOMMEND IT? Yes, absolutely.

It's a good show, don't hold back because of other reviews that trash-talk about it because of the ending, because I truly believe the rest of the Anime is worth watching, especially if you're into these kinds of shows.

Again, THANK YOU, Secret Santa, for this recommendation and helping me finish this Anime sooner, definitely a great ride despite some flaws!
Merry Christmas and happy holidays, stay healthy!

Hi !! I’m so happy you liked it !! Did you like the other recommendations? happy holidays !!! I love your profile page

Thank you @xDrella for the recommendations! Sorry I couldn't get to more than Tanaka-kun in time, but there are a couple others that I will probably get to watching sooner or later, so I really appreciate it!
=========================================================================================

It looks like my recipient was otherwise occupied, or perhaps didn't know about the division between site and forum. So, in case anyone wants to hear about some Awesome MistLiigh Certified Recommendations™, here they are:

A Place Further Than the Universe - Four high school girls go on an emotional adventure to Antarctica with top-notch Madhouse animation.

Hinamatsuri - A yuppie yakuza suddenly finds himself caring for a psychic girl, hilarity and feels ensue.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie - A legitimately entertaining adult romance involving people who also play MMOs.

Bonus Manga Rec:
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - A cult classic, can this group of quirky characters save the world from an evil mage, even as their leader plans to destroy it herself when they're done?

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - A cult classic, can this group of quirky characters save the world from an evil mage, even as their leader plans to destroy it herself when they're done?
chefs_kiss_2.jpeg

1: March Comes in Like a Lion
An unevenly and haphazardly paced, playful - while serious underneath, or maybe back and forth - mix of depression and hopefulness, loneliness, desire and passivity, and other warring emotions. It works on the question of how to live, when you can't find anyone or anything to live for. What to do, when you're so tired of simply surviving, and just want to rest and let the world pass you by? Among other various issues each character finds themselves facing.
I might take you up on this one. I heard this anime was about mental illness and I love anime that portray it well.

Thanks so much for the awesome recs! again, sorry i didnt watch much, but i have the others added to my list so i will definitely be watching them!!!!! Hope yall had good holidayssssss
Don't feel bad for not being able to watch - things happens. I was lucky too to watch my recs right after I received them because after that everything became hell and I wouldn't be able to watch anything.
I really hope you will like my recs. Maybe because this was my first time doing it I was very anxious while choosing them to make sure they will be something you would like. This and the fact you have good taste in anime and you already watched everything I had in my mental list to recommend from the moment I joined the Secret Santa. (*˘︶˘*).。.:*♡

@sami137 Thanks for the recommendations :D! Like I posted before I'm loving them; finished Zankyou no Terror (without getting too spoilery all I'll say is that it made me cry multiple times lol) and am almost done with Inuyashiki. Happy Holidays everyone :smile:!

@Gamirosh ohh I'm so glad you liked them <3
if you have time, listen to the soundtrack of Zankyou no Terror, it's very good
Happy Holidays ✨

It just so happened that on the both sides I was paired with people leaving exactly 1 message - signing up here. Happens. Two years in a row.
BubliFcuk gave recommendations to safaq
@BubliFcuk You probably will never see this, but thank you for the recommendations nonetheless. Looking at your list, it looks like our tastes are different enough to the point where I might become a troublesome recipient. It doesn't look like you watched Anohana yourself, and that was the anime I enjoed the most out of all that were suggested to me, so I appreciate the thought.
Safaq gave recommendations to Belph3gor
@Belph3gor You also probably won't see this, but I'm sorry for not being able to match your tastes and give suggestions interesting enough for you to give them a try. Though it doesn't look like you watched/read much at all lately, so maybe time was the bigger issue. I didn't really know what to pick, since I don't really read much manga, and your anime list is quite short.

In case anyone wondering, here is what I picked:
Manga: Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru, Heads
Anime: Seirei no Moribito, Haibane Renmei

P.S. I think I'm about to rewatch Haibane myself, the series totally deserves it.

Back