Mysterious Girlfriend X

Alt title: Nazo no Kanojo X

Add review
ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jul 1, 2012

Urabe: When something makes me really happy, saliva overflows from my mouth.
… Wrong hole girl.

Mysterious Girlfriend X belongs to one of those ecchi shows that attempts to lure people in with a fetish. We have one about peeping toms of pantsu (Colorful), one about clubbing girls to the head, to the point they pee themselves (Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-Chan), one about necrophilia (Sankarea), and now one about licking other people’s drool. Yes, sounds disgusting as hell but supposed there is an anime for all tastes and these are supposed to cover those reeeeeally particular ones. The problem of course lies in the fact they are soooo specific at what they are about, they are extremely hard to be enjoyed by anyone who is not into that sort of fetish. And surely, you must have some really sick mind to enjoy licking other people’s spit. YUUUUUCK!

Ok, the truth is that there is reasoning behind all this deviance and if you somehow manage to get into its insane mindset you may even appreciate the show for what it’s all about. In this case it is pure sexual frustration to the point you find stimulation with substitutes rather that the actual thing. The rest of the paragraph is psychological mambo jumbo so skip it if you feel bored. When you believe you are incapable to please a woman in bed (something commonplace amongst virgins, people with low esteem, those who are mocked and bullied a lot, or simply all Japanese people, lol) you may end up feeling incapable of being horny at all so you find pleasure in fantasizing you are great in bed with several sex toys. And to help that illusion to work better you need some of her personal belongings that have her scent on them. The most usual fetishes are underwear and shoes but in this particular show it is body fluids, and more specifically saliva. Since intercourse involves the exchange of body fluids, in the mind of the subject licking them is a fine way to fantasize they are doing a deep tongue technique to the owner of those fluids.

Now about the actual anime, it starts in a most direct way by telling you the main characters are weird. Nothing unexpected from teenagers (especially Japanese characters) but these definitely have a few more loose screws than most. The lead boy has that low esteem virgins do and the lead girl is a plain psycho, so they end up in a weird relationship where he gets addicted to her drool and she is more than willing to provide him with it because … um, she is weird; the end. The premise is indeed out there and I guess that is what would attract most people to give it a shot. It sure sounds more interesting than some run of the mill ecchi or romance anime, that’s for sure.

The above of course counts for the premise of a show and not about the plot. Although the initial hook of ecchis and romances is usually very strong, their fishing lines tend to break up easily after a few episodes, since almost always there isn’t any progress in the initial idea of the story. They lay it out, they promise you great things to come out of it, they excite you to watch further, and then … nothing happens. Typical to ecchis and harems the relationships go nowhere and they sure as hell don’t show sex, something of which was even promised in the end of the first episode. That’s how it is with typical anime, they are so polarized to either hentai where you get non-stop sex scenes or a long winded story of romance where you get nothing but blushing and a few kisses at best. In this case you get neither, since the drool ends up being the substitute for both sex AND kisses. That’s right, sucking up fingers full of saliva is all you get. Supposed because kissing too simple and boring so there is no reason to do it.

So basically you will be enjoying this show for as long as the drooling jokes are still funny to you and you are not bothered by the complete lack of actual progress. Because that is the only thing that makes the main couple to feel a little bit different than pretty much any standard romance out there. Furthermore they are constantly trying to present Urabe as a mysterious girl that needs to be studied and see what she thinks of the lead guy. Sometimes she will be acting like an alien, others like a black ops agent, others as crazy, and others as simply a girl with a crush on him. You are never given a clear picture and because of the non-existent development any hints that are offered mean absolutely nothing. They are there to keep you guessing but never really offer anything. As soon as the feeling of deza vu starts to kick in though, you will start to like it progressively less and chances are you will lose interest before you even get to the second half.

Of course if you try to find some deeper meanings you might find out how the show’s main focus is not deviance but rather a slow procedure towards understanding one another. Subtle hints about the saliva making you see the thoughts of the other one, or the reasons behind Urabe’s weirdness seem to weight a lot more than waiting for them to kiss. But as I said it is all way too basic and even disgusting for most to bother looking for those deeper meanings. Do you think there will be many who will consider this an unorthodox show around two lovers trying to communicate? They will see saliva, a promise for sex that will never come, otaku baits, and that’s it. The hook of the show ends up overshadowing its attempt to be anything more than sick entertainment. Take for example Kare Kano, a show with much similar themes that doesn’t try to lure you in with deviance. Its appeal was purely artistic and despite its simplicity in plot and eventual degradation in the second half, it is still a far more likable and interesting show to this one.

Other than that, the production values have a very retro feeling to them, as if the original manga was made in the 80’s. This seems to fit with the style of the director, since Watanabe Ayumu has only made old style shows, such as Doraemon movies and Space Brothers. The characters are drawn in a simple way and the backgrounds have basic outlay but colored in a way to feel almost elegiac and fitting to the theme of the show. The music themes are following a similar feeling by being soft and nostalgic. It looks nice to look at coming from a minor animation studio such as Gansis. I also liked Urabe’s voice actress; this is her debut work and she sounds really special and fresh compared to the tired rehashes we get from the so called veterans.

In all, it is definitely not your average ecchi comedy or school romance but it fails to keep you interested for more than a few episodes, and the whole drool thing can easily turn you off. A distinctive show thanks to its hidden themes but far from great for messing up its priorities. The themes end up being more important than both the characters and the story, thus it is very easy to be bored and drop it midway.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 6/10
General Artwork 1/2 (generic)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 1/2 (basic)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (nice colouring to make it look elegiac)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 2/4 (typical)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 3/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 0/2 (very loose)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (doesn’t exist)

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 2/2 (rather cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (none)
Catharsis 0/2 (none)

VALUE SECTION: 3/10
Historical Value 0/2 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too little plot)
Memorability 2/4 (the drool thing makes it a bit memorable but otherwise nothing much)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Art 0/1 (looks typical)
Sound 0/2 (sounds typical)
Story 1/3 (an interesting premise that heads nowhere)
Characters 0/4 (they are typical and don’t develop)

VERDICT: 4/10

OddJobProdigy's avatar
May 3, 2015

Mysterious Girlfriend X

Ok now this show is definitely not going to be for everyone. Allot of people find this show weird and disgusting, but as for me i find it to be incredibly uniqe. The only way i could describe this show, is that it is both the strangest and most realistic love story ever, and that is saying allot lol. But trust me this show is well worth the watch and it is my favorite romance anime of all time. Not because it is lovey dovey or that it is gooey by any means. I say it is my favorite because i have never been able to relate to a love story as much as i could this one. As long as you can get past the drool aspect of the show, i feel like you will love it as much as i do. The story revolves around a young boy named Tsubaki and how he falls in love with the new transfer student named Urabe (As a side note Urabe Mikoto is my favorite female character of all time) after tasting her drool off her desk.

DATABASEERROR's avatar
Jul 14, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Comedy, Romance, School, Seinen

Additional Info: If only the author didn't have fetish on saliva then this anime would have blown the 13th dimensional world to bits.

Ending Rating: 95%

Short Review:

Nazo no Kanojo X or Mysterious Girlfriend X is an anime masterpiece. If you can bare the saliva fetish as mentioned above and shown on the coverphoto then this anime is worth your time. From the funny moments to the sweet romantic love scenes will surely excite the hell out of you. This masterpiece anime filled with romanctic moments is worth a space on your anime list.

reinhart's avatar
Nov 22, 2014

If you are looking for a romance anime that isnt all about the little mishaps within a relationship that seem to happen in every other romance anime, then this anime is for you. a VERY unique story with unique characters and unique mishaps that may disrupt the relationship, but an even more unique way of  those mishaps getting solved, ive never seen what this anime did, it put WEIRD and ABNORMAL in with romance and they made it WORK.

9.5/10 story
8.5/10 sound
Wirusan's avatar
Jan 13, 2015

Streamed this online...unfortunately

Foreword

Nazo no Kanojo X or Mysterious Girlfriend X is an adaptation of a manga of the same name and I- You know what? Mother-FUCK this gotdamned anime! This anime is just plain disgusting. Hoods Entertainment made this shit lets take a look at their track record

This is their highest rated anime...

these motherfuckers must've been wearing hoods during the production of this, so they didn't have to fully see how it turned out. Spoiler alert it's bad, and here's Wiru-san's tale of the take!

my face throughout the entire show

Man this show has no story and there are many animes that don't and do well for themselves, this sdoesn't. The "story" follows our pal Akira Tsubaki

If i remember correctly from Soul Eater Tsubaki is a type of flower that has no smell. Akira here doesn't stand out either he's a normal 2nd year highschooler until one day a transfer student joins his class (can we say overused cliche?)

Enter Urabe

rockin the moptop

Urabe Mikoto is the name and not giving any fucks is her game

Speaking the gospel here

She gets branded a weirdo and no one associates with her but one day our pal catches her sleeping after the whole class has left,so he decides to wake her up so she won't stay behind too late

She has eyes?!

"Oh she's pretty cute now that I see her eyes and drool everywhere." Tsubaki thinks as mikoto promplty leaves the classroom. But Tsubaki stays behind and you know what he fucking does?

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU INDEED?!!

GET THIS SHIT OUT

Ok Ok lets get back to the damn show. Tsubaki gets fucking sick (No surprise there) and Urabe shows up to his house and explains to him.

"Hurr Durr um that sickness you have isn't a cold, it's withdrawal from my spit. My spit is like meth."

Ok i'm paraprhasing a bit but that's what she said and guess what the treament is?

Tsubaki starts to have feelings for her so he  asks her out and you how Urabe shows her fucking feelings?

Seriously WHY CAN'T THEY JUST FUCKING KISS?! And there's the story they trade spit everyday, and for some reason have to keep their relationship a secret.  I don't want to hear "this is a metaphor" bullshit cause only thing this stands for is being a disgusting mundane niche anime. But I watched all of this for some reason and as much as I hate to say, it did pick up a bit towards the end but I use that term VERY generously. Nothing comes from this "Story" at all. They never really explain the whole spit thing either

Yea cause that fucking makes sense

Take out the disgusting drool aspect of the show and what are you left with? A romance story with a different take. This show is original and as strange as it is I was intrigued by it. If you can get past the spit barrier you'll come across a story as their relationship develops...

Story: 2.5

The shows animation is actually pretty decent however sometimes the characters movements are stiff. They also don't stay dedicated to their characters bodily porportions

Oh she has regular bo-

BOOM!

Oh she looks norm-

BAM

I guess these actually worked

One quick glance and you would guess that this an ecchi show and you'd only be half wrong, while it does have it's fanservice it's trying to appeal to this niche demographic most of the time. So you could say the ecchiness is "contained" The scenery is nice although it never really stands out too much. One episode it was like there was a red sun or some shit

We must strike now, Kal-El is at his weakest

The show tries to throw a lot of symbolic images at you and a lot of people think this show is deep. The only way this show is deep is if you bring a fucking shovel and make your own hole.

Even then the animation is still ok

Animation: 6

The opening song is called Koi no Orchestra and it's a great song. The music in this anime is actually nice. The piano melodies sound nice and a lot of them sound off or weird. It fits the show well. The best thing out of this anime would have to be it's opening for sure. Sentai Filmworks felt that this needed to be heard in English for some reason and had a dub made for this. Sub or Dub you're gonna be getting the same experience so pick your poison.

Sound: 5

Golly gee the characters are a Slice of Life anime's pride and joy. What drives the show that has no plot. Too bad these characters are flatter than the chest of Tomoko Minato.

Akira Tsubaki is a sexually frustrated peon who collects peoples hair stores them in capsules and smells it from time to time, on top of that he also will lick up your spit without you knowing and then make a habit out of it. If Akira was in the Opeining scene of End of Evangelion i'm afraid to see what he might've done. At least he is loyal and a caring person but other than that there's nothing really special about him

Urabe is the titular ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  mysterious girlfriend. I was expecting her to turn out to be an alien or something the whole time, that would've made a lot more sense actually.

"I'm starting to think Urabe's a lot more mysterious than I thought"

However she isn't she is apparently just a loner who also fancies in spit cocktails. When you first see her you want to know more about her and what you end up knowing is she likes to cut things with scissors, that's about it.

There's more characters that can be summed up in two words or less: The Sister, Best Friend, Lesbian Friend, Old Crush. You already know who voices the best freind character in the dub. The characters however don't really develop  although they're interesting at first glance they just don't really become much of anything. I understand some relationships take things slower and that's all good but boy is it boring to watch.

Characters: 3

Overall

Mysterious Girlfriend X is fucked up but as I kept watching I got over the whole spit thing

Ok not really, but once you get past that you'll see a nice romance trying to unfold itself but it never really does. People seem to put lots of meaning into this show but look at Evangelion that is rich with symbolism and has a lot of meaning behind it yet, if you don't get any of that it's still enjoyable. Mysterious Girlfriend just is not. I wanted this to be Garbador so bad but it really does have SOME good aspects in it. Although you should probably sleep on this one

Verdict: 4.0

Reccomendation: Skip it, Please

Animes that get this rating aren’t really worth your time. They don’t bring much to the table and frankly should just be skipped. However some of these shows have certain elements that might be worth the watch. There is SOMETHING that can be taken from this although in the end it’s still probably not worth it

As always that's your boy wiru-san's take on it. Follow me on my Tumblr and check out my channel on Youtube. And Remember to stay the hell away from woodchippers.

2.5/10 story