The Rising of the Shield Hero

I'm confused by the criticisms of the betrayal being obvious, I feel like that criticism only works if the work in question is trying to surprise you. Rather in this case it definitely seems like it's being obvious to keep your attention and set your expectations.
Obvious the the characters, not just the viewer. Imagine if you were a drug dealer and an awkwardly dressed guy who acts funny walked up to you in the bar and said "I'm TOTALLY not a police officer, do you have some of that drug stuff?"

It's literally like a dude jumped in front of a car that was going a 100 mph and instead of wondering why he jumped in front of the car, he's asking why the car didn't stop.

I'm sure that quite a few people bailed on the series already because of that initial story setup, it just feels really lazy. So it does indeed do something with your expectations.

You're seeing this from the viewer's perspective, it's reasonable that from the character's point of view that this is less obvious. Even less so when his entire character is setup to be the kind of person who would fall for this. A young naive optimist who thinks he's just in some light hearted fantasy world, and has no real experience with women as he's a bit of a nerd type. I mean it's not even like guys haven't fallen for this kind of shit before, meanwhile your examples are ridiculous and unrealistic.

Yeah y'all are comparing it to way more obvious things than that lmao, some people are just naive about particular things.

Reactions: Toy
Episode 1 is out and this thread has already reached 5 pages of what can only be described as hormonal Aunt Flow rage not just from here but everywhere...........

1Tg8Ygf.jpg

Mother fuck-bucket I can't hold back now. Time for me to give MY OPINION on this episode and the trend I'm seeing everywhere........let me get toy computer for this one.

Well,this series has a decent plot and the reason why the shield hero is looked down in that particular country is going to be explained as the series progresses along with a really good story.People Should stop jumping into conclusions after watching only 1 episode...

People Should stop jumping into conclusions after watching only 1 episode...
If I slapped you in your face the first time we meet, would you meet me again without being cautious or maybe even avoiding meeting me again? First impressions are important.
People can see if they like something or don't after the first episode. Sometimes even after the first 5 minutes. It's silly to demand that people watch more of a show they already don't like because there are people that like it more than them.

You're free to like it as much as you want, ofc.

You're seeing this from the viewer's perspective, it's reasonable that from the character's point of view that this is less obvious. Even less so when his entire character is setup to be the kind of person who would fall for this. A young naive optimist who thinks he's just in some light hearted fantasy world, and has no real experience with women as he's a bit of a nerd type. I mean it's not even like guys haven't fallen for this kind of shit before, meanwhile your examples are ridiculous and unrealistic.

Ridiculous and unrealistic...

We're watching a dude getting swallowed into a book where he gets put into a fantasy world containing characters from different timelines, to fight 'evil' while he's going to get chased around by a girl that's going to be his sword while he has a shield stuck to 'm that he can't take off. And then you call my example ridiculous and unrealistic...

I'm well aware we're dealing with a troubled young man here but even from his perspective there were plenty of bells that went off to assume not to trust this chick as much as he did. He still fell for it, we're in a right to call this guy an idiot.

Episode 1 is out and this thread has already reached 5 pages of what can only be described as hormonal Aunt Flow rage not just from here but everywhere...........

1Tg8Ygf.jpg

Mother fuck-bucket I can't hold back now. Time for me to give MY OPINION on this episode and the trend I'm seeing everywhere........let me get toy computer for this one.

I love how we're just discussing something completely different...

Ridiculous and unrealistic...

We're watching a dude getting swallowed into a book where he gets put into a fantasy world containing characters from different timelines, to fight 'evil' while he's going to get chased around by a girl that's going to be his sword while he has a shield stuck to 'm that he can't take off. And then you call my example ridiculous and unrealistic...

I'm well aware we're dealing with a troubled young man here but even from his perspective there were plenty of bells that went off to assume not to trust this chick as much as he did. He still fell for it, we're in a right to call this guy an idiot.
Which is why it's impressive that even by that standard your examples still stand out as ridiculous and unrealistic. This anime at least has the wherewithal to try suspending it's audience disbelief, whereas you never did with your example.

Also, I never implied he wasn't an idiot for trusting this chick, rather I simply don't understand the criticism of the show for it's portrayal of the twist being too obvious when it was clearly intentional.

Which is why it's impressive that even by that standard your examples still stand out as ridiculous and unrealistic. This anime at least has the wherewithal to try suspending it's audience disbelief, whereas you never did with your example.

Also, I never implied he wasn't an idiot for trusting this chick, rather I simply don't understand the criticism of the show for it's portrayal of the twist being too obvious when it was clearly intentional.

If it was supposed to be obvious then they are guilty for wasting so much time to try to make it less obvious. Then we wouldn't have to sit through 35 minutes of boring exposition and shit that doesn't matter later.

Also, people here gave analogies on why they think that twist was stupid. It doesn't make sense to call an analogy "ridiculous and unrealistic".

1Tg8Ygf.jpg

What the cuck is this fuckery? Don't those chicken shits realize that they (Everybody in that fuckboy kingdom) is hating on the shield hero and would instantly believe the princess who is really Princess Bitch but showcases a "Oh I'm so nice and shit and not A FUCKING RAGING BITCH ASS FUCKING GOLD-DIGGING THOT" facade? Who would they believe, a hero nobody likes just because of his shield which is blatant weapon racism, or the princess of the kingdom who played it up, got falsified evidence against him and got to the authorities while he was still in his jammy-jams? Everything is stacked against him as he's innocent as all fuck but you know what? That's life with the cards stacked against you. It FUCKS you over like a fucking dumptruck of fucks dumped on your fucking ass. And slavery? It's some old-time ass feudal system. Of course it has caste systems of slavery and shit. Why shouldn't it have slavery and shit. Plenty of shows have slavery and shit of varying plot importance. It's fantasy land, of course they're gonna have some disreputable aspects of a more antiquated society. Shit, this is a show about a guy whose weapon is a shield.

What the cuck is this fuckery? Don't those chicken shits realize that they (Everybody in that fuckboy kingdom) is hating on the shield hero and would instantly believe the princess who is really Princess Bitch but showcases a "Oh I'm so nice and shit and not A FUCKING RAGING BITCH ASS FUCKING GOLD-DIGGING THOT" facade? Who would they believe, a hero nobody likes just because of his shield which is blatant weapon racism, or the princess of the kingdom who played it up, got falsified evidence against him and got to the authorities while he was still in his jammy-jams? Everything is stacked against him as he's innocent as all fuck but you know what? That's life with the cards stacked against you. It FUCKS you over like a fucking dumptruck of fucks dumped on your fucking ass. And slavery? It's some old-time ass feudal system. Of course it has caste systems of slavery and shit. Why shouldn't it have slavery and shit. Plenty of shows have slavery and shit of varying plot importance. It's fantasy land, of course they're gonna have some disreputable aspects of a more antiquated society. Shit, this is a show about a guy whose weapon is a shield.
Don't be so angry lil Thrawn *pats*

One words comes to mind after watching this episode: DEPRESSING
It just made me feel meh. I guess we are used to isekai genre being an escape from the mundane reality, and having the story unfold like this is just a little too real-world like.

I wanna see how that shield works and I hope he finds new things to feed it with.

I'm really looking forward to them explaining why the people there hate him so much (even before the rape thing). Alternate Japans were a little weird, but ok. Then there's slavery - part of me wants to hate MC because of how ok he was with it. Seems like a pretty messed up country overall.

If it was supposed to be obvious then they are guilty for wasting so much time to try to make it less obvious. Then we wouldn't have to sit through 35 minutes of boring exposition and shit that doesn't matter later.

Also, people here gave analogies on why they think that twist was stupid. It doesn't make sense to call an analogy "ridiculous and unrealistic".
So the setup for the entire story as well as the catalyst for the tone going forward, whether it was obvious or not, is a waste of time? I mean, seems like that 35 minutes was pretty significant overall, kinda got the entire backstory of what's going on, why he's in this world, how he found himself buying a slave, and everything in between.

... Why doesn't it makes sense? Their analogies ARE ridiculous and unrealistic, the only other way I'd put it is to just say they're shit, which I thought would be more contentious, but maybe not? I get what they're trying to say, however, it really just doesn't work, guy getting swindled by a thot actually happens, seems reasonable that it can happen in a fantasy world as well. It also doesn't really address what confuses me in the first place, being that I don't understand the criticisms of it being obvious (to the viewer) when that's clearly intentional. That really doesn't have a lot to do with whether the MC should've seen it coming or not. Your criticism makes way more sense as far as that is concerned since you feel like it's a waste of time.

Granted, this whole thing about the "twist" being too obvious seems like it'd be a minor gripe anyway.

So the setup for the entire story as well as the catalyst for the tone going forward, whether it was obvious or not, is a waste of time? I mean, seems like that 35 minutes was pretty significant overall, kinda got the entire backstory of what's going on, why he's in this world, how he found himself buying a slave, and everything in between.

... Why doesn't it makes sense? Their analogies ARE ridiculous and unrealistic, the only other way I'd put it is to just say they're shit, which I thought would be more contentious, but maybe not? I get what they're trying to say, however, it really just doesn't work, guy getting swindled by a thot actually happens, seems reasonable that it can happen in a fantasy world as well. It also doesn't really address what confuses me in the first place, being that I don't understand the criticisms of it being obvious (to the viewer) when that's clearly intentional. That really doesn't have a lot to do with whether the MC should've seen it coming or not. Your criticism makes way more sense as far as that is concerned since you feel like it's a waste of time.

Granted, this whole thing about the "twist" being too obvious seems like it'd be a minor gripe anyway.

For something that's such a minor gripe I don't understand why you don't understand that we're not understanding why it had to be so clearly intentionally obvious. The criticism is fair and so is enjoying the clearly intentionally and obvious setup... all of it is just fine.

I personally still wish it wasn't so clearly intentional and obvious...

EP 1

I'll cover it and everything that was posted today.

First of, @Thrawn when did they ever say the girl that joined was the princess? We haven't even fully seen the princess. Secondly, how is the shield racism? If any of that is spoilers then.....

That said, FOR FUCK SAKE!!!! It's an Isekai show that doesn't't follow the format. When the hell did a carton have to be realistic in any way?

Let's see just what we have and point out a few things
The show starts off with this tough looking man. A man that has been through so much shit that it's made him battle hardened. A person you just don't want to fuck with.

Then it shows a demi-human. She was playing with a ball that she lost control of and it rolled into him. He picks it up and hand hands it back to her. What did we learn from just that small scene? If you've read enough manga, seen enough anime, or watched any movie or show, you would know the following:
The character just show is in a dark place. He's all alone and has managed to survive the hell he's been through. BUT, the presence and interaction of the demi-girl shows that he has a human side to him. He knows compasion. He isn't what he appears to be....HE ISN'T WHAT HE APPEARS TO BE!!!!!!

Then the show kicks off into full Isekai fashion with a twist. It appeared that episode 1 covered what would normally take 5 episodes for character introduction and initial character development and crammed it into 45 min.

When a show tends to just ram shit at you in the very beginning, more than likely it's going to go back in a time jump and give you the rest of the back story. Here, 5 guys from Japan get called out to this land to be the heroes to stop the calamity. But their introduction and their attitudes throw things off because they are treated as if we know their back storires already.

Now, for the MC, he's imedieatly casted off as some schmuck. The shield hero is crap. It's interesting that this place has had to call on the heroes enough to know the shield hereo sucks... Hmmmm

No one would join but the girl. You can already tell she isn't good. But what her end game is won't be shown till the end. Turns out her motive was to trigger a shit ton of simpleminded idiots cause "False Rape" is a horrible crime!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

So shafted up the ass McGee is labled a rapist and casted out. However, it seems he figured this, accepted it quickly, and moved the fuck on. He realized that trying to fight it is a waste, his shield is a handicap, and he's on his own. From now on his only goal is to beat everyone and give no shits cause he knows this will be the only way to survive. Hell, he just found out the only way to go back home is to die. So fuck them, think only for himself, never let anyone close to you again and pretty much take it out on the entire world. Be the evil bastard they want you to be.

Let's stop and look at the real issue here. The 4 guys. We learned that they all come from Japan but are from different dimensions. So each has a different persepective on things but all pretty much the same. Except for the MC. For some reason they are all fully aware of how the system works, the environment, etc. The MC is starting from scratch. This already casts doubt about him in their eyes. Add the fact that he doesn't seem knowledgable about much and they have no hope for him. So being casted as rapist isn't surprising for them.

But that's not the wierd part. The weird part is that these 4 guy get called to a world and demand a reward. It's almost as if this isn't the first time they have done something like this. The only one to asl questions was the MC. This, IMO, plays out later.

Now labeled a rapist, he must use his wit to outsmart shop owners to conduct business and earn money. He must level up without using weapons. He mus survive. A journey that will mean he will need help without trusting them.

Finally we have the slave master. He introduces us to the rest of the creatures of the world and how they can be slaves through the art of a curse. Introducing our next cast member. The sickly demi-girl who is going to be used to show he has compassion.

So let's sum up what we saw in 45 min. A man is summoned to another world to be one of the 4 heroes. He is choosen to be the shield hero. Veiwed as the weakest one, he's already starting off 0-1. Through a series of events that a woman sees as an opportunity, and his personality of being to easy going and easy to ready, he is caught in a lie, betrayed, and labeled a rapist. The worst offense in that land.

This sets off a chain reaction that will now caused the MC to go through events in his life that will make him cold, untrustworthy towards others, and care about no one. It went from a hero destined to save the world to a hero that no one wants and a world that is out to get him.

A hero that now will become the antihero. Through revenge, he plans to be the best, the strongest, and possible expose the other heroes for what they trueley are. And will stop at nothing to do it. If they want him to be evil, then so be it.

I don't get how hard it was to understand that. That's what I got from it. In 45 min I was shown a storyline that is going to pace itself. I expect time jumps, lots of back stabbing and an darker path. Looking at him now, he's still weak and pathetic. The person we saw in the beginning was wearing armor only a seasoned warrior wears. A face only one who has been through hell and brought it back withing him wears. He isn't that broken mane yet. We still have a dark journey ahead to get to where we are now and I for one and excited to see where this goes.

Sorry this was't served on a golden plater and scrubbed by safe space censorship commitee.

EP 1

First of, @Thrawn when did they ever say the girl that joined was the princess? We haven't even fully seen the princess. Secondly, how is the shield racism? If any of that is spoilers then.....

That said, FOR FUCK SAKE!!!! It's an Isekai show that doesn't't follow the format. When the hell did a carton have to be realistic in any way?

The show starts off with this tough looking man. A man that has been through so much shit that it's made him battle hardened. A person you just don't want to fuck with.

Then it shows a demi-human. She was playing with a ball that she lost control of and it rolled into him. He picks it up and hand hands it back to her. What did we learn from just that small scene? If you've read enough manga, seen enough anime, or watched any movie or show, you would know the following:
The character just show is in a dark place. He's all alone and has managed to survive the hell he's been through. BUT, the presence and interaction of the demi-girl shows that he has a human side to him. He knows compasion. He isn't what he appears to be....HE ISN'T WHAT HE APPEARS TO BE!!!!!!

Then the show kicks off into full Isekai fashion with a twist. It appeared that episode 1 covered what would normally take 5 episodes for character introduction and initial character development and crammed it into 45 min.

When a show tends to just ram shit at you in the very beginning, more than likely it's going to go back in a time jump and give you the rest of the back story. Here, 5 guys from Japan get called out to this land to be the heroes to stop the calamity. But their introduction and their attitudes throw things off because they are treated as if we know their back storires already.

Now, for the MC, he's imedieatly casted off as some schmuck. The shield hero is crap. It's interesting that this place has had to call on the heroes enough to know the shield hereo sucks... Hmmmm

No one would join but the girl. You can already tell she isn't good. But what her end game is won't be shown till the end. Turns out her motive was to trigger a shit ton of simpleminded idiots cause "False Rape" is a horrible crime!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

So shafted up the ass McGee is labled a rapist and casted out. However, it seems he figured this, accepted it quickly, and moved the fuck on. He realized that trying to fight it is a waste, his shield is a handicap, and he's on his own. From now on his only goal is to beat everyone and give no shits cause he knows this will be the only way to survive. Hell, he just found out the only way to go back home is to die. So fuck them, think only for himself, never let anyone close to you again and pretty much take it out on the entire world. Be the evil bastard they want you to be.

Let's stop and look at the real issue here. The 4 guys. We learned that they all come from Japan but are from different dimensions. So each has a different persepective on things but all pretty much the same. Except for the MC. For some reason they are all fully aware of how the system works, the environment, etc. The MC is starting from scratch. This already casts doubt about him in their eyes. Add the fact that he doesn't seem knowledgable about much and they have no hope for him. So being casted as rapist isn't surprising for them.

But that's not the wierd part. The weird part is that these 4 guy get called to a world and demand a reward. It's almost as if this isn't the first time they have done something like this. The only one to asl questions was the MC. This, IMO, plays out later.

Now labeled a rapist, he must use his wit to outsmart shop owners to conduct business and earn money. He must level up without using weapons. He mus survive. A journey that will mean he will need help without trusting them.

Finally we have the slave master. He introduces us to the rest of the creatures of the world and how they can be slaves through the art of a curse. Introducing our next cast member. The sickly demi-girl who is going to be used to show he has compassion.

So let's sum up what we saw in 45 min. A man is summoned to another world to be one of the 4 heroes. He is choosen to be the shield hero. Veiwed as the weakest one, he's already starting off 0-1. Through a series of events that a woman sees as an opportunity, and his personality of being to easy going and easy to ready, he is caught in a lie, betrayed, and labeled a rapist. The worst offense in that land.

This sets off a chain reaction that will now caused the MC to go through events in his life that will make him cold, untrustworthy towards others, and care about no one. It went from a hero destined to save the world to a hero that no one wants and a world that is out to get him.

A hero that now will become the antihero. Through revenge, he plans to be the best, the strongest, and possible expose the other heroes for what they trueley are. And will stop at nothing to do it. If they want him to be evil, then so be it.

I don't get how hard it was to understand that. That's what I got from it. In 45 min I was shown a storyline that is going to pace itself. I expect time jumps, lots of back stabbing and an darker path. Looking at him now, he's still weak and pathetic. The person we saw in the beginning was wearing armor only a seasoned warrior wears. A face only one who has been through hell and brought it back withing him wears. He isn't that broken mane yet. We still have a dark journey ahead to get to where we are now and I for one and excited to see where this goes.

Sorry this was't served on a golden plater and scrubbed by safe space censorship commitee.

Aight, aight aight aight that is legit, but that ho- thot- Stacy looked all regal and shit, and only a bitch ass arrogant skank like that could be royal; no ordinary adventurer would do shit like that. Now, I just assume shit, and what I assumed this shit to be was that ho being some princess or some shit. She ain't no ordinary run-of-the-mill hero helper or some shit, hero adventurers aren't gold diggers like that because that shit would get out everywhere and they would be blacklisted from groups for being gold digging, blackmailing hos. People would know she scammed and called rape so many times that shit is clearly up. Now, she probably ain't doing that all over but JUST for this instance when heroes come to their world and shit. I actually lost my point but I wouldn't put it over the king for setting shit up to shit on the Shield Hero because he was clearly a sack of dicks and so is that Stacy.

Basically: She had to be connected to the corrupt and hateful King to be that much of a bitch because everything has to be connected to make it all nice and tidy instead of it being some random ass adventurer fucking over the hero. Thus, my assumption of assuming shit is perfect and I'm like some Sherlock Holmes or some shit.

The 4- 3 other guys (Lance, Sword, bow I'm thinking), are all about that RPG goodness, about getting paid and not doing this for free or some shit like it's some kind of communist socialist shit. This is capitalism at it's finest even though they're lv 1 their presence is needed. They're genre-savvy for RPGs and are going the true-neutral route, or whatever the greedy self-serving route is.

Everything else is pretty much spot on.

And one last thing:

The totally legit, completely legal streaming site I use to watch anime has princess in the description.

Basically, I'm assuming a lot of shit but I'm Hercule Poirot or some shit up in here.

EP 1

I won't give out spoilers fr0m the manga, but I can tell you that you are over interpreting by quite a lot.

Also, I cringe every time someone uses the word "trigger" or "safe space" unironically.

I won't give out spoilers fr0m the manga, but I can tell you that you are over interpreting by quite a lot.
Damn, I thought I was the only loser here who read it.

Also, I cringe every time someone uses the word "trigger" or "safe space" unironically.
A-P is a safe space for us degenerates to be the buzzkills we aspire to be, in our journey to spoil the fun of every innocent child who want to enjoy their Isekai self flagellation fantasy, right?

Aight, aight aight aight that is legit, but that ho- thot- Stacy looked all regal and shit and only a bitch ass arrogant skank like that could be royal; no ordinary adventurer would do shit like that.

You right, you right.
And if you were paying attention, you would have seen that the princess was shown in the book to have red hair and be some massive thudnercunt. BUT, she also showed for a quick second......with long red hair.

The thot-pocket must not be the princess but one of her lackies. I'm sure the princess is a......

Royal Pain YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
giphy.gif

But I digress.

Back