The Rising of the Shield Hero

After watching the first half of the first episode of Goblin Slayer, my tolerance of certain anime BS is nonexistent. So, until Japan can learn to not trivialize certain things (which won't happen), if I even get a hint of certain topics in an anime I am completely out. So, that stuff (which I swear I don't remember being a thing in pretty much any anime I'd even heard of until Goblin Slayer) is on the same list as underage sexual shit when it comes to things I will not put up with in anime. It shouldn't even be a common enough issue to have to actively think about it, but....anime. Just, anime :cereal:
I wouldn't compare it to GS, as it's more of a way to make the hero a tragic figure who's discriminated against unjustly. I would compare it more to SAO or One Punch Man in how, say Saitama, is treated like a fraud even though he's the one that's saving the day when other higher ranked heroes fail. Just freakin' lazy.

So, that stuff (which I swear I don't remember being a thing in pretty much any anime I'd even heard of until Goblin Slayer) is on the same list as underage sexual shit when it comes to things I will not put up with in anime. It shouldn't even be a common enough issue to have to actively think about it, but....anime. Just, anime

You and I have seen very different anime and manga ;p

But to be fair, sexual abuse is a very common thing, unfortunally, so it showing up frequently in media, including anime, can be expected.

This series has one true bestgirl, and I'll maybe pick this up if I know she will be covered by this season. Also assuming it's not just a shit adaptation. It would hardly be the first case of "good manga, horrible anime" syndrome where light novel adaptations are concerned.

oh yes i chime with shield hero the man will dominate all the waves, im hoping for some slave-beast action not the one we saw at the end but a really narley looking beast

oh yes i chime with shield hero the man will dominate all the waves, im hoping for some slave-beast action not the one we saw at the end but a really narley looking beast
I'm hoping the guy fights some babes. Not that I read it or anything but a guy can hope.

I always liked how these kinds of stories are marketed towards weebs who only know anime and RPG games, yet the protagonists are almost always oblivious about how they work and need something to be explained to them every step of the way.
As one of those weebs I do get frustrated and cringe at many works like these. (One of the reasons I stopped watching TV, and why im starting to hate any novels. The writers get everything wrong to a dangerous degree)

I think Log Horizon was the closest to getting right but at the same time felt more like the writer just bounced ideas off a gamer friend. The thing i always say is if this was a real game....it would be boring to play.

I watched the 45min preview and im intrested in the series but it quickly went the route of it feels like they are going to just write out the game elements and treat it as generic fantasy. I am intrigued that theres a
Tankuki demihuman
, I dont belive ive seen one since Inu yasha.

After watching the first half of the first episode of Goblin Slayer, my tolerance of certain anime BS is nonexistent. So, until Japan can learn to not trivialize certain things (which won't happen), if I even get a hint of certain topics in an anime I am completely out. So, that stuff (which I swear I don't remember being a thing in pretty much any anime I'd even heard of until Goblin Slayer) is on the same list as underage sexual shit when it comes to things I will not put up with in anime. It shouldn't even be a common enough issue to have to actively think about it, but....anime. Just, anime :cereal:

I was more amused the effect Goblin Slayer had on my local dungeons and dragons games. Saw alot of people trying to roleplay as like him.

Reactions: Zed
Episode 1:

Fuck everything about this

over 40 minutes of pure misery, and it gets worse with every passing minute

I'd actually say something about the episode, but I can't quite put it into words, and this thing doesn't deserve any of my time being wasted on that

It's annoying how the beginning plot concept is the guy got screwed over by a woman. Any of the guys could have jumped and took his stuff, but nope a random woman character is the antagonist. Because "women are evil" I guess. I could say more, but I don't think anyone would listen.

It's annoying how the beginning plot concept is the guy got screwed over by a woman. Any of the guys could have jumped and took his stuff, but nope a random woman character is the antagonist. Because "women are evil" I guess. I could say more, but I don't think anyone would listen.

Yeah, using a very real issue like false rape accusations to kick off the plot is pretty scummy.

01:

Wait, so why am I supposed to like this MC again? Because he got cucked by the most transparent betrayal in the history of the universe? This all just comes off to me, as the author justifying his victim complex. Wah, waaaah, damn those bad women hurting me so bad. This feels slimy.

Do not like.

Last edited:

This show actually isn't bad.

SHjt5De.png

Yeah, it's a bit generic until it gets NOT generic with them fucking with shield guy and going way too far, now I actually sympathize with him and want him to get his revenge. I think they did a perfectly fine job with it. False rape accusations really get to me IRL so this works for me. Although I totally saw the obviously traitorous girl being traitorous coming a mile away. Guy's kind of an idiot for not ditching her.

But yeah I'm with you all there, that betraitor plot was all kinds of unnecessary.
All false rape accusations are, isn't it a shame that they still happen?

Yeah, using a very real issue like false rape accusations to kick off the plot is pretty scummy.
Why is that scummy? Arent using real issues to kick off plot what people do all the time?

I see people in the thread praising the manga so I'm wondering if I should read it? Usually bad adaptations ruin the source material for me (no idea why) so, if the manga is as good as people say, I want to get into it before I start the anime.

I see people in the thread praising the manga so I'm wondering if I should read it? Usually bad adaptations ruin the source material for me (no idea why) so, if the manga is as good as people say, I want to get into it before I start the anime.

I got the idea that people were saying not to give up on the anime too quickly

I'll admit I'm intrigued. But after stewing on that first episode for the past few days, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the first episode at all. I'm still gonna give Shield Hero a shot, of course. If I didn't feel it was worth my time, then I wouldn't even bother with expressing my criticisms. I suppose it's the fact that I am sort of interested that I feel the need to complain about the parts that bother me.
In the course of an evening and a day, our fairly standard, mildly cliche, nice guy protagonist is built up with promise of becoming a hero in a magical new world, and has that robbed from him by a VERY predictable betrayal (that I would genuinely be surprised if somebody out there had not seen it coming).

Where I start to draw serious issues with the direction here, is when he's brought to the castle. It honestly feels like the main character just completely switches personality when he realizes he's been betrayed, and is also told he can't even go home.

Now, obviously this is something to be upset about, furious even, but it's such a stark contrast from his naive, bright, and optimistic demeanor that we'd been shown up until that point, and this change comes out of left field in my opinion. He suddenly starts looking like a character that should have very obvious anger issues even at the best of times, which is not at all what we were shown before hand. And this is my lenient criticism, because honestly I don't buy his rage, considering his future as a hero was taken from him just as quickly as it was given to him. He literally spent 1 day as a hero before being falsely accused of an atrocity (which he was also told he wouldn't have to suffer any genuine judicial action for; everyone just knows about it and hates him, and that sucks, but still)
On top of that, he starts acting and behaving like a totally different person for the remainder of the episode(which feels like 1 day). As the episode appears, it looks like he leaves the castle that morning, sulking, and then bumps into the man that sold him his gear. The man lets him off rather than hitting him, and the protagonist makes some edgy remark that doesn't suit him nor the tone of the scene. He's given a cloak for free, which he promises to pay back "some day", and then heads out to slaughter orange balls for a long time. He heads back to the city, selling his drops(where he uncharacteristically torments a man that attempts to give him a raw deal), and seemingly immediately paying back his debt, like 2 or 3 minutes after the promise to pay him back some day. and as far as the episode direction is concerned, this still feels like the same day. He then heads out again, comes back, and goes to a tavern as night falls, where he broods; which makes, and attracts the attention of punks, still fine. He treats them sternly and strictly, makes sense. He gets into a fight with them, still fine. And theeeeeen he's offered a slave by a strange man that strolls up to him, which our main character doesn't seem to have nearly enough of an aversion to.

RECAP: Day 1 - Get whisked away to a fantasy world | Day 2 - Prepare for your adventures as a hero | Day 3 - Get (predictably)betrayed in the morning, instantly devolve into a different, edgier person, and buy a slave that night

I'm not the only one confused and off put by these things, am I? It feels like this 45 minute episode was somehow rushed; like these 3 days are supposed to actually be an appropriate amount of time to justify the portrayed circumstances and character transition that day 3 spews out. How do you even manage to rush a 45 minute episode? And would it have been better if they had ended episode 1 as he stormed out of the castle, to then follow up with more detailed scenes, that properly illustrate the confusing day 3 as the idk, week, or even month, that it feels like it should have been?

I'm confused by the criticisms of the betrayal being obvious, I feel like that criticism only works if the work in question is trying to surprise you. Rather in this case it definitely seems like it's being obvious to keep your attention and set your expectations.

I also particularly like several things, the first being how odd the idea of a shield hero is. A character focused on how he defend himself and his shield is his most notable piece of gear, that would make for an interesting fantasy character, the lack of weapon makes that character a joke usually. It's a unique predicament, and I'm curious how this is handled. Another thing is the characters who were summoned alongside him and are from Japan in different universes. Apparently they're much more accustomed to the idea of a hero using a shield, as well as being more familiar with the world. This all ties together as to why our protagonist doesn't recognize the place like them, when we aren't even accustomed to the idea someone would use a shield in lieu of a weapon. Just a little detail that really stuck out to me as neat.

I also have some particular grievances though. I'd say the whole analogy the show presents is a little on the nose, with the whole rape accusation and what not. The show does an alright job of painting a picture of how ridiculously easy it is for someone to do this, and how this can ruin a person's life. However, you just wouldn't expect it to be so direct about it, or at the very least you'd think that it would feel like it has more impact that it did. Maybe this is why people find the lead up too obvious, because it hinders the moment when it comes. Aside from this, while I like the main character's shift from excited and happy to be in an isekai, to angry and bitter about how fucked over he got, does feel sudden. His immediate reaction and attitude is understandable, but it feels like there was a passing of time between him leaving the town and coming back that simply wasn't portrayed well. If not, then the changes that feel very core to his character seem just too immediate.

I think this first episode was fairly enjoyable, and I think this one is going to get better as time goes on.

(Did something happen in Japan to cause them to worry about false accusations? This is something I feel like I've a lot of in like the past year or two from them.)

Back