The Rising of the Shield Hero

Ep. 2,
I feel as though they are now trying to get somewhere with the story now that they are introducing this girl Raphtalia as one of his team mates. Although I feel disappointed that even though she's a demi-human raccoon girl, she can't fly around like Tanooki Mario from Super Mario. Don't know how I feel about the demi-human racism being portrayed in the series, it feels forced. Since they're showing the wave next week, the story might get somewhere.

So far it's been going exactly how I'd imagine it'd go. So yah, disappointed with that part of the show. I'm still really digging the artstyle though which is really why I'm still invested as much as I am.

My issues with the show still remain and I feel that this episode was a perfect embodiment of why I have so much criticism. Homeboy was teasing to follow the dark path and that's where I was hoping the show would win me over but it didn't even last 20 minutes.

Again, there just isn't any foreplay but I'm sure we're going to be enjoying many episodes of after-sex-cigarettes. I'm sure my analogy is gonna get called ridiculous again but so far I've been pretty bang on with what we're getting and the direction it's going.

Episode 2:

I don't know. This was pretty funny. All the dramatic scenes had me sneering and MC-kun being edgy did make me laugh a bit because he was suddenly all knowledgeable about the world. He acted all dark and edgy for exactly five minutes. Then he got a loli to groom and now everything is better. The rape thing is completely forgotten other than him occasionally getting sneered at, so no consequences there either. The world is still generic as fuck, too.

The little trash isekai wants to be taken seriously. It's just Death March into Another World, but more serious.

I think the first two episode were good as and adaptation of the novel, I like how they managed to implemented the game system in the novel it wasn't as interesting to see, however they could maybe showcase how much pain, despair Naofumi falls in to, I knew it was coming but the manga and even light novel make it much more dark, that said it wasn't bad per say.

Now what the hell is going on with all this bickering about the story being so ...controversial... geez... I even read people hating Naofumi for his first THOUGHT about Bitch, is thought crime of a fictional character really the reason to shit ourselves? Not to mention some people bad reviews almost out of spite. It boggles my mind that you can actually find people who blame author for what his characters did, you know you can write character you hate? Would you blame George R.R. Martin for what Joffrey did?Oh that is a book not an anime where shit moves and talks...oh my god.

It boggles my mind that you can actually find people who blame author for what his characters did, you know you can write character you hate? Would you blame George R.R. Martin for what Joffrey did?Oh that is a book not an anime where shit moves and talks...oh my god.
Writing a character and trying to make the reader sympathize with them are two different things. Joffrey and his actions aren't glorified nor are we supposed to sympathize with him.
Edge-san on the other hand, we are supposed to sympathize with him, as his redemption arc starts after only 1 1/2 episodes.

That's the difference.

Writing a cool and a fabulous villain who causes mayhem with style, or a sympathetic villain who only turned bad due to terrible past or bad circumstances can both be a much interesting thing to see you know.

I'd love some glorious villains, since I've started watching anime I've struggled to find good villains which I really don't understand. You ask an actor what their favorite role is and they always say how much they enjoy playing a bad guy, I would have expected the same for a writer.

Makoto Waltz Segai from Guilty Crown is actually a fantastic villain in an otherwise lackluster show.

Izaya from Durarara is also an excellent example of a manipulative little shit that most people hate. He just gets bored and wants to fuck with people. Such a simple concept but boy does it work.

I don't think I have to say much about Shou Tucker. This man is just mental and I absolutely love it. He doesn't follow any traditional paths and doesn't really show any remorse or guilt...

Heck... Even a character like Haruno Yukinoshita from Snafu makes herself look like a villain. She's aware of what she's doing and loves putting herself in that position, she's constantly playing a chess game and makes her little sister feel uncomfortable.

I need more great villains! somebody who you'd want to slap and yell at for being such fucking assholes!

So far it's been going exactly how I'd imagine it'd go. So yah, disappointed with that part of the show. I'm still really digging the artstyle though which is really why I'm still invested as much as I am.

My issues with the show still remain and I feel that this episode was a perfect embodiment of why I have so much criticism. Homeboy was teasing to follow the dark path and that's where I was hoping the show would win me over but it didn't even last 20 minutes.

Again, there just isn't any foreplay but I'm sure we're going to be enjoying many episodes of after-sex-cigarettes. I'm sure my analogy is gonna get called ridiculous again but so far I've been pretty bang on with what we're getting and the direction it's going.

Hm ... I actually didn't mind this episode

sure it was predictable as hell but the characters had decent motivation for what they're doing and why they're doing it the way they do.

It's logical that Edge doesn't trust people. Still, he doesn't have to be a massive d**k about it and he isn't.

SLOIS!s backstory is cliche but it's a decent explanation of why she's a slave and serves as the pretty good arc for the episode.

My problem (I think) is that the story takes the easiest path for what it wants to achieve.

We want the audience to sympathize with the protagonist? Let's make everyone be a d***k to him for no apparent reason (in the manga some of it is explained later in the story, but not all by any stretch).

We want the audience to like the furry loli sidekick? Let's make her a sickly orphan whose parents were killed by someone/something connected to the main villain and let the main protagonist become her new family (and later perhaps her love interest).

We have a new villain/obstacle to overcome? Why not give the protagonist a new type of shield ability that can be used in this precise type of situation! Also: we want to establish that he's the weakest hero and that would undermine that so ... well ... let's have a few other characters tell him/mock him that he's so weak, even if the story contadicts that statement over and over again.

It's not *bad* per se but just ... kind of cheap.

Having said that I liked episode two much more than the first one. One of the characters has an arc, it establishes a logical connection between Edge and SLOIS!, has some (a little cheap but still) emotional weight to it and it isn't edgy for sake of being edgy.

I also like the merchant/economic angle where the protagonist has to find out how to make money.

Hm ... I actually didn't mind this episode

sure it was predictable as hell but the characters had decent motivation for what they're doing and why they're doing it the way they do.

It's logical that Edge doesn't trust people. Still, he doesn't have to be a massive d**k about it and he isn't.

SLOIS!s backstory is cliche but it's a decent explanation of why she's a slave and serves as the pretty good arc for the episode.

My problem (I think) is that the story takes the easiest path for what it wants to achieve.

We want the audience to sympathize with the protagonist? Let's make everyone be a d***k to him for no apparent reason (in the manga some of it is explained later in the story, but not all by any stretch).

We want the audience to like the furry loli sidekick? Let's make her a sickly orphan whose parents were killed by someone/something connected to the main villain and let the main protagonist become her new family (and later perhaps her love interest).

We have a new villain/obstacle to overcome? Why not give the protagonist a new type of shield ability that can be used in this precise type of situation! Also: we want to establish that he's the weakest hero and that would undermine that so ... well ... let's have a few other characters tell him/mock him that he's so weak, even if the story contadicts that statement over and over again.

It's not *bad* per se but just ... kind of cheap.

Having said that I liked episode two much more than the first one. One of the characters has an arc, it establishes a logical connection between Edge and SLOIS!, has some (a little cheap but still) emotional weight to it and it isn't edgy for sake of being edgy.

I also like the merchant/economic angle where the protagonist has to find out how to make money.

The easiest path... That's exactly what it is.

Episode 2:

I guess the question to ask myself now is, will I still sign on to follow our angery MC on his revenge tour?

I guess the answer now is still yes, but now that I know what to expect, I'mma just be hanging on for the lulz. And for the lottery game too, yeah, that's right, can't forget about that.

Update: MC is still an angery dude, but he's already calmed down a lot now that he's taken in a - deep breath - diseased slave who as a mental disorder and a traumatic past that causes her to get vivid nightmares every time she sleeps. Oh, and both of her parents are dead, she used to get tortured, she gets electro-shocked whenever she defies orders, and she's part of a lesser race that gets discriminated, because... angst, probably? OH! And she has a tail. It's like MC played the ultimate sidekick bingo and landed a winner by ticking all of the boxes. This slave is really everything an isekai hero would want in a female companion and more, it's really surprising she got sold for just a bunch of silver. Thirty pieces of silver, was it? As in the same amount Judas took to betray Jesus? I don't know, I might be pulling this out of my ass, but if 30's the right amount, then hoo-boy, tack on another piece of over-dramatic symbolism to the show, why don't you?

Based on the OP, slave girl will be playing a very important part in this story. Her devotion to the MC is funny as fuck, mostly because their development was so rushed. A few touching moments here, some other night hugs there to calm her down, and one extra kiddie meal on the side - put all of them together in the most slapdash way possible, and you might get yourself a winner. Even then, we're already supposed to believe in the power of their shared bonds, and the rushed nature of it all makes the whole thing funny as fuck.

Like Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero's initial edge was just there to get the people going. IT'S PROVOCATIVE, BABY! Gotta get them talking somehow, dig? And if we're gonna have to dump a false rape allegation here and show women as conniving, helpless, or both, THEN BY GOD WE'RE GONNA DO IT. FOR THE VIEWS! And geez, brah, I've never even seen a single Goblin Slayer episode - and nope, forget it, I'm not gonna go and watch that just 'cos you told me to.

Now based on the OP, slave girl and MC will share a most pivotal relationship, because she's obviously gonna be the point of his party's attack, while he gets stuck on defense. It also looks like MC has a monster/demon/whatever side he probably won't be able to control, and it's a side that could come out only when he's angry and lost faith in the world. But no! Thanks to his newest party member, a mentally-damaged torture survivor - a slave our hero will save, take care of, and give a renewed purpose to, thus redeeming his asshole attitude - our hero will learn to trust people again and regain his faith in the world. How's that for a story, huh? I dunno, fam, we're still only in the second episode after all.

Don't worry, brah, I got you. The funniest after-sex-cigarette here has got to be that throwaway line said by the blacksmith, who oh-so-nicely observed that our MC had already become corrupted. Because, yeah, okay, the world is terrible and everything is shit and nothing is the hero's fault. Of course.

Episode 2:

I guess the question to ask myself now is, will I still sign on to follow our angery MC on his revenge tour?

I guess the answer now is still yes, but now that I know what to expect, I'mma just be hanging on for the lulz. And for the lottery game too, yeah, that's right, can't forget about that.

Update: MC is still an angery dude, but he's already calmed down a lot now that he's taken in a - deep breath - diseased slave who as a mental disorder and a traumatic past that causes her to get vivid nightmares every time she sleeps. Oh, and both of her parents are dead, she used to get tortured, she gets electro-shocked whenever she defies orders, and she's part of a lesser race that gets discriminated, because... angst, probably? OH! And she has a tail. It's like MC played the ultimate sidekick bingo and landed a winner by ticking all of the boxes. This slave is really everything an isekai hero would want in a female companion and more, it's really surprising she got sold for just a bunch of silver. Thirty pieces of silver, was it? As in the same amount Judas took to betray Jesus? I don't know, I might be pulling this out of my ass, but if 30's the right amount, then hoo-boy, tack on another piece of over-dramatic symbolism to the show, why don't you?

Based on the OP, slave girl will be playing a very important part in this story. Her devotion to the MC is funny as fuck, mostly because their development was so rushed. A few touching moments here, some other night hugs there to calm her down, and one extra kiddie meal on the side - put all of them together in the most slapdash way possible, and you might get yourself a winner. Even then, we're already supposed to believe in the power of their shared bonds, and the rushed nature of it all makes the whole thing funny as fuck.

Like Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero's initial edge was just there to get the people going. IT'S PROVOCATIVE, BABY! Gotta get them talking somehow, dig? And if we're gonna have to dump a false rape allegation here and show women as conniving, helpless, or both, THEN BY GOD WE'RE GONNA DO IT. FOR THE VIEWS! And geez, brah, I've never even seen a single Goblin Slayer episode - and nope, forget it, I'm not gonna go and watch that just 'cos you told me to.

Now based on the OP, slave girl and MC will share a most pivotal relationship, because she's obviously gonna be the point of his party's attack, while he gets stuck on defense. It also looks like MC has a monster/demon/whatever side he probably won't be able to control, and it's a side that could come out only when he's angry and lost faith in the world. But no! Thanks to his newest party member, a mentally-damaged torture survivor - a slave our hero will save, take care of, and give a renewed purpose to, thus redeeming his asshole attitude - our hero will learn to trust people again and regain his faith in the world. How's that for a story, huh? I dunno, fam, we're still only in the second episode after all.

Don't worry, brah, I got you. The funniest after-sex-cigarette here has got to be that throwaway line said by the blacksmith, who oh-so-nicely observed that our MC had already become corrupted. Because, yeah, okay, the world is terrible and everything is shit and nothing is the hero's fault. Of course.

The real issue here that nobody is talking about is how she LOVES to play with balls! She wanted balls and he gave her balls to play with... I'm telling you, no foreplay!

I really want to like this. Like I said, the art is quality but if they would have just made some small adjustments, framed it all a little different... Make us more emotionally invested in all the characters out there and not just the servant and her master. Even the blacksmith guy had potential.

Ep 2
I enjoyed this one WAY more than the first one. I wasn't even checking how much of the ep was left (unlike last time).

My question is: How much time did the demi human girl spend with the protagonist? Because if he makes her PTSD disappear so quickly, he should probably help people with mental illnesses instead of fighting monsters, y'know. I really hope that her years long PTSD won't disappear in the next ep, lmao-

Finally we also leave that town. I want to see if people know of his ''crime'' even here. So far the only villager we saw, didn't react like a guy talking to a rapist, so I'm guessing They don't know.

Also I love nekos, so Imma fight for the demi human race.

Episode 2 was definitely an improvement. But I still can't get myself to care for this show, I'm just curious to see where it goes because it's a little different from your regular isekai.

Back