Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

Dear Santa,

First off, thanks for the recommendations! I just finished BanG Dream and I really enjoyed it!! It was a simple story but done extremely well with lovable characters, smart writing and great music! I might have never tried it considering the not-so-great score it has and the fact that there are so many other music/idol shows out there like this.

I think I'll slowly watch the entire franchise (2 more seasons and 4 movies!!) and I think that says a lot.

I actually tried Jashin-chan too but unfortunately that show didn't really click with me at all... to put it simply I just didn't find it funny, so it was just 20 minutes of jokes not landing. I still appreciate the rec nonetheless since I do now and then appreciate fantasy comedy shows like Gabriel Dropout or the currently airing Jahy-sama.

P.S. I'll definitely watch LL Sunshine too relatevely soon!

Dear Santa,

To start, I am not sure how likely I will be watching my anime picks I got or when, but I am happy to say that I have read all of the manga ones.
While 2 of them were ones that have been sitting on my want to read list for a little while now, I was actually really happy to get the little push to start them, I really enjoyed A Witch's Love at the End of the World despite it being 12 chapters. As for Tsuredure Children and I Wish... they were both good reads as well, but I liked the GL pick much more. However, I will try to start the anime as soon as possible because I think that they are going to be good series as I got for manga this year.

I'm not sure how actively my Santa is stalking me, but if they are I want to give them a little update about my progress.

I started with Show by Rock! and so far I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm currently at halfway point of the S1 and will definitely watch rest of the seasons as well. The question now is that can I contain myself till after the Christmas Day to continue with S2? Or do I fall in binge-watching the show and realize I have only couple days to finish at least one other gift.

Dear Santa,

So far I have finished reading/watching two of your recs. First was Kurogane, which I quite enjoyed despite the weird ghost kendo teacher, and the unexpected fanservice/ecchi moments in a high school sports manga. The only real complaint I had about the entire thing was that it finished so... quickly? There could have been some bomb ass kendo fights, and I didn't get to see any of them. 7/10

Next was Land of the Lustrous, which was completely out of my wheel house (I would never have picked this out on my own). Thanks for making me look at other things, cause I really liked this anime too. The aesthetic was fun and sparkly, it was like watching glitter without the annoyance of having to get rid of it for the next year or so. The characters and their developments were good too; I'd be up for watching other things like this. 8/10

I'm not sure if I'll have time to get through many more recs, but I've liked what I've looked at so far. Happy Holidays

Anime-Planet username: sikerow
Link to your anime/manga list: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Sikerow/anime/
Anime, manga, or both is ok? Anime please
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits: 24 or more if it is really goood
Tags you don't want: ecchi, mecha, magical girl, harem.
Other:
Signups ended Nov 19th. If you are still looking for some recs, pm me and I will grab you some.

oooh darn i'm so sorry if my santa was eagerly scanning through to see if i updated i kinda loose track of time easily ^^;

i got a very very generous santa who gave me both options for anime and for manga

i got
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/bloom-into-you
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/the-world-is-still-beautiful
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/inari-kon-kon

as my anime options ^^ sadly i think only bloom into you has a dub so its the only anime i can check out but the other two have interesting summary's on anime planet so i'll probably read them but maybe at a later date. part way through bloom into you as i'm writing this and i REALLY like it. but i'll keep the details a suprize for my review

i also was lucky enough to get
https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/ouji-sama-nante-iranai
https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/her-tale-of-shim-chong
https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/the-third-party

as manga options so i'll try to get to readin' as much as i can buuuuut i may have to report in late with them... or write the report before finishing them completely ^^; i may have bitten of more then i can chew with the length ehehe.... oh well more for me to enjoy i suppose... i hope my lovely santa is on the patient side

Hello Santa.

I finished my first reccommendation, Kado: The Right Answer, it was a fine anime. It started very well but flunked a bit at the end, story-wise. I enjoyed it overall and I'm glad I watched it.
I liked the CG animation in this anime (it wasn't the ugly one), the music was very good and the characters had nice development.

Starting tomorrow I'm gonna watch Pretear so I'll write again when I'm done with it.

Santa. Fuck you. Seriously. I spent way too much time watching the entire season of Link Click after work today only for that cliffhanger. Now to find out when the next one is coming out as I am hooked.

Though that end is rough.

I just watched episode 5 and cried like a baby. Your Santa is brutal but clearly has excellent taste.
:crying:
...six episodes left...

I am struggling to decide whether I should start now, or wait, with FF14 being outa the way...due to upsetting circumstances, I technically have all the time in the world as I still have a few days of vacation. It could cheer me up, or I could be too distracted to actually get the intended enjoyment. It's kind of heartbreaking to lose access to something you loved :crying: for suspicious and unknown circumstances, so I am a bit torn between do I watch now, or wait?

A short-ish version of the rant on that situation if curious:
Got off a short suspension (FF14) the day before we got our anime recs, I asked for unpaid time to play it, and suddenly woke today with another one for 10 days for "profanity" (same generic reason as prior, but never lists exactly what, so a lack of any proof or useful info) which is bizarre, depressing, and defies any logic as I actually hadn't even used the chat to test my suspicions of something abusive going on (not hacked either), and anyone who knows me knows I barely swear IRL even cause I don't see the value, and I just know it will happen again shortly after I'd get back on when the time is up, and 3rd time = perma as far as I know, or I can not risk it and never play again.
It's a lose-lose for me after thousands of hours and this suddenly happening out of no where. CS is unfortunately not helpful at all as none of that info is provided, resulting in a loop of uncertainty, frustration, and my time wasted due to what sounds like some sort of faulty system/employee abuse, and the worst CS possible. Found it peculiar this occurred first time just a few hours after monthly billing, and 2nd time also a few hours after the official expansion code being redeemed... safest route probably would force a refund through paypal as a form of fraud, and cut my losses. But of course I'd rather try playing again.. but that risks being too late to try a refund claim.
It's a shame large companies can get away with this and be so unwilling to help, and really gives an example of how helpless we are when dealing with a digital company/service and just get away with generic copy/pastes, not forwarding to a manager, etc, you are just a number, versus an in store experience

Dear Santa,
Thank you for taking time to prepare your Christmas presents! I have finished 2 of 3 recommendations.

My favorite recommendation so far is still 22/7. The character ark with Sakura showed her fondness with her grandmother. The name is reminiscent of the beautiful and graceful cherry blossoms that bloom in certain times of the year. Sakura is a really cheerful, caring, and sweet character. So I nominated her as my favorite character. I also really enjoyed Jun’s character ark. Her hospitalized friend was always brimming with optimism and positivity. Her friend really taught Jun how to look at the positive side of life despite suffering from illness. The folded heart was really a nice reminder of her friend.

I just completed Tsukigakirei. The very first opening scene with the cherry blossoms dancing in the air was really elegant and captivating. The scenery was very visually appealing. It was nostalgic looking at the characters participating in school sports and activities. It reminded me of my own school life participating in school band concerts and competitions. The last episode had a scene where the male lead chases after his first love. Sadly, he did try his best to study hard for high school entry exams to get in the same high school as her but failed. The scenes where she knits a scarf for him reminds me of another show. Overall, it was a 5/10 show.

Land of the Lustrous has been quite a unique and bizarre anime. The characters were created from sparkly gem stones. I have yet to finish the anime.

Thank you again for taking the time to give anime recommendations and Christmas gifts!

Last edited:
Dear Santa,
A little update. I started watching Heaven Official's Blessing. It's 6.40 am, I just started episode 3 and I decided I'm gonna choose anime over sleep. I don't know why I waited so much to start this anime. Oh well, I know, my plan was to finish MDZS novel first, but till now I found out I somehow enjoy this one more than MDZS. I need to watch (then read) more to say for sure.
Now I will try to stop myself for watching so I can do a little marathon in 2 days when I have a free day just to enjoy this anime. Coming soon with a (let's hope less awkward than the last one) review for this anime. For now it's a masterpiece for me.

Anime-Planet username: Derring
Link to your anime/manga list:https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Derring
Anime, manga, or both is ok? Both!!
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits: N/A Can recommend on-going too!
Tags you don't want: Mecha / History
Other: Sorry I’m late couldn’t find the forum
71aKogq.png

Are you in an anime or manga slump? Have you ever wanted to give a gift of (under)appreciated manga or anime to someone? Join our annual Secret Santa event to take part in the fun!

The goal of Secret Santa is to get someone to watch and review something that you love, or, you could be a bit evil and make them watch something terrible! But be careful, you might just get a lump of coal in your stocking in return

------

NOTE: Last year, like the year before, many people signed up and didn’t contribute any gifts for their pick (which was overwhelming for our SecretSanta and led to delays sending out the information), or didn’t watch or read any of their own picks. We advise that you don't sign up unless you're 100% committed.

We ask that any Secret Santa participants agree to:
  1. Watch or read at least one of your picks. If you don’t think you’ll have time to do so, there’s always next year!
  2. Reply to the Secret Santa thread with what you thought about your pick by Christmas day. It can even be a single sentence, just let your Santa know what you thought.

Also, make sure that you check your forum PMs regularly (not the same thing as the site notifications feature) for messages from Santa.

------

How to sign up

Use the format below and comment in the thread:

Anime-Planet username:
Link to your anime/manga list:
Anime, manga, or both is ok?
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits:
Tags you don't want:
Other:

Example Form:

Anime-Planet username: Northpole
Link to your anime/manga list: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/NorthPole/anime
Anime, manga, or both is ok?: Anime
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits: 12 Episodes
Tags you don't want: Horror, Mecha… etc.
Other:

Making your Secret Santa recommendations

NorthPole will send you your Secret Santa buddy through a forum PM, around November 19th. The choice is random.

• You'll then need to choose 3 anime or manga for the person (depending on their requests), and reply back to the NorthPole PM with your choices. Do not PM your recipient! It will spoil the fun!

• Do not recommend titles that are:
  • Ongoing
  • Music videos
  • Untranslated/incomplete
SENDING YOUR PICKS IS DUE BY NOVEMBER 28th

Getting your Secret Santa recommendations

• You'll receive your recommendations around November 29th.

• If for some reason you can't watch or read any of the titles you were given, you can request a new batch once.

• Choose at least one of the titles to watch or read.

• Add your thoughts about at least one of your picks here in the Secret Santa by Christmas day - post them as soon as you like! No minimum date. You can also post links to reviews you’ve made on the site here, but not required. Thread. It helps Santas feel excited about participating to see discussions about your picks.
Secret Santa pairs will be announced here in the thread on December 25!

Happy holidays and happy anime watching!
[/QUOTE]

Anime-Planet username: Derring
Link to your anime/manga list:https://www.anime-planet.com/users/Derring
Anime, manga, or both is ok? Both!!
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits: N/A Can recommend on-going too!
Tags you don't want: Mecha / History
Other: Sorry I’m late couldn’t find the forum
71aKogq.png

Are you in an anime or manga slump? Have you ever wanted to give a gift of (under)appreciated manga or anime to someone? Join our annual Secret Santa event to take part in the fun!

The goal of Secret Santa is to get someone to watch and review something that you love, or, you could be a bit evil and make them watch something terrible! But be careful, you might just get a lump of coal in your stocking in return

------

NOTE: Last year, like the year before, many people signed up and didn’t contribute any gifts for their pick (which was overwhelming for our SecretSanta and led to delays sending out the information), or didn’t watch or read any of their own picks. We advise that you don't sign up unless you're 100% committed.

We ask that any Secret Santa participants agree to:
  1. Watch or read at least one of your picks. If you don’t think you’ll have time to do so, there’s always next year!
  2. Reply to the Secret Santa thread with what you thought about your pick by Christmas day. It can even be a single sentence, just let your Santa know what you thought.

Also, make sure that you check your forum PMs regularly (not the same thing as the site notifications feature) for messages from Santa.

------

How to sign up

Use the format below and comment in the thread:

Anime-Planet username:
Link to your anime/manga list:
Anime, manga, or both is ok?
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits:
Tags you don't want:
Other:

Example Form:

Anime-Planet username: Northpole
Link to your anime/manga list: https://www.anime-planet.com/users/NorthPole/anime
Anime, manga, or both is ok?: Anime
Maximum episode (anime) and/or volume (manga) limits: 12 Episodes
Tags you don't want: Horror, Mecha… etc.
Other:

Making your Secret Santa recommendations

NorthPole will send you your Secret Santa buddy through a forum PM, around November 19th. The choice is random.

• You'll then need to choose 3 anime or manga for the person (depending on their requests), and reply back to the NorthPole PM with your choices. Do not PM your recipient! It will spoil the fun!

• Do not recommend titles that are:
  • Ongoing
  • Music videos
  • Untranslated/incomplete
SENDING YOUR PICKS IS DUE BY NOVEMBER 28th

Getting your Secret Santa recommendations

• You'll receive your recommendations around November 29th.

• If for some reason you can't watch or read any of the titles you were given, you can request a new batch once.

• Choose at least one of the titles to watch or read.

• Add your thoughts about at least one of your picks here in the Secret Santa by Christmas day - post them as soon as you like! No minimum date. You can also post links to reviews you’ve made on the site here, but not required. Thread. It helps Santas feel excited about participating to see discussions about your picks.
Secret Santa pairs will be announced here in the thread on December 25!

Happy holidays and happy anime watching!

Unfortunately, you missed the sign-up date (which was last month) but if you'd like people here can still throw some recs in your direction for the holidays.
:drinking:

Dear Santa,
A little update. I started watching Heaven Official's Blessing. It's 6.40 am, I just started episode 3 and I decided I'm gonna choose anime over sleep. I don't know why I waited so much to start this anime. Oh well, I know, my plan was to finish MDZS novel first, but till now I found out I somehow enjoy this one more than MDZS. I need to watch (then read) more to say for sure.
Now I will try to stop myself for watching so I can do a little marathon in 2 days when I have a free day just to enjoy this anime. Coming soon with a (let's hope less awkward than the last one) review for this anime. For now it's a masterpiece for me.

Heaven Official's Blessing is too good and pure for this world, and the fact that we are getting a season 2 next year is a true heavenly blessing.
:love:

Ok, so Santa.
I started your recommendations and finished Nobungo concerto a couple days ago (If you were stalking). I quite liked it, it hooked me from the start. Also, The cg animation does fit with the story. Overall, quite a good watch.
Next, Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East I started this but I'm only on the third episode didn't really hook me but I'm interested to find out what happens later on.
Finally, The manga From far away. I only read 2 chapters and it's not my normal cup of tea but nonetheless new experience. :hamster:
Cya next time, Santa

I have finished watching my first pick which was Bungou Stray Dogs.

Not gonna lie, I think it was pretty good and I can't wait to watch the other seasons when I have the time. I really like reading books so authors being turned into anime boys & girls is a cool concept in my opinion. (Tho I don't appreciate being reminded that I have to read The Great Gatsby for my literature class) As expected, Osamu Dazai became my favourite character mostly because he's the only Japanese author I knew by name before watching BSD (Thanks, Thrash Taste) and also because I enjoyed his personality.

Gotta say that at first I was alarmed by the incest but, thankfully, it went to the sidelines pretty quickly. But ig it's better to be straight forward with it than to throw around excuses saying that it technically isn't incest.

Back