Neon Genesis Evangelion

It was entertaining in the beginning, but once it reached the late teens, it started to just bore me. It was still good, but I want something entertaining god dammit. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, and the last scene I remember seeing is a still-shot of Shinji in EVA for a few minutes.

So wait.. are they remaking the series?

Taken from the opening post

(RE: Evangelion 1.0) The first of the 4 new Evangelion movies. The idea for this is that the first 3 new movies will actually be a retelling of the original TV series story with the aim of making it more accessible to new viewers while adding new scenes/characters to it

I saw the thing about the movies. Are they going to do a remake of the Tv anime series? Or just the movies? If they are making 4 movies they should go ahead and remake the series. It would probably cost around the same.

I saw the thing about the movies. Are they going to do a remake of the Tv anime series? Or just the movies? If they are making 4 movies they should go ahead and remake the series. It would probably cost around the same.

Pay attention cause ThirdImpact literally in the post above yours explained it in plain English. It's a remake of the SERIES plus a bit of extra something. My guess is upgrading the animation and making the story less intellectual to appeal to a new dumber generation. Haha cheap shot! But yeah, it's all about making it accessible to the new generation of anime viewers. It's about 14 years old or so now, so I suppose a lot of new anime fans have sprung up since then who will only have heard of the show and might prefer to check out something with more contemporary animation.

I didn't realise that they were adding new characters, though. That sounds to me like a dangerous move.

I guess it didn't clarify enough... its hard typing on one of these itouch screens.
lol I know the movies are a remake of the series. Im talking about a remake into an episodic nature like original 26 episode Tv show. I just think their time can be better spent doing that instead of making those movies. There are always so many major plot points lost from the translation of a Episodic Tv series into a movie. Even if is 4 movies they are adding new content like you said.

My guess is the movie format is part of giving it that updated feel. With Mnemosyne, Kara no Kyoukai and no doubt countless others taking that slow-release movie format, it's got a very contemporary edge?

Doing a straight 26-episode series that is literally exactly the same but with updated animation would maybe put people off. they'd just think they were being subjected to the same stuff.

Which they are anyway, but it's amazing how presentational/structural changes make people lap the same old shit up again. Lol.

EVA was a masterpiece. Although it wasn't my first anime, it was the first I'd seen to demonstrate such intelligence and complexity...a true measure of the depths of humanity. The heavy Freudian overtones were intriguing and provided a way to get to know the characters at a level that has not been achieved by any anime since. Although the last two episodes were a bit frustrating, and I felt like the details of the Human Instrumentality Project weren't fully fleshed out, the series as a whole was excellent.

This one will always have sentimental value for me as well *nods to VivisQueen*

Well, I'm looking forward to the completion of the Eva movies. It was one of the first series I ever watched, and I've always wanted to rewatch the series now that I have a better perspective. On the other hand, I haven't ever actually done it because as I remember it just isn't good enough. As a result, the idea that they're remaking it minus the warts is immensely appealing.

I didn't realise that they were adding new characters, though. That sounds to me like a dangerous move.

At the moment "Mysterious Girl With Glasses" (As named in the Puchi EVA game) is the only new character confirmed so far as she can be seen very briefly in the trailer for Rebuild 2.0. I'd like to think that they wont be ballsy enough to start throwing too many new characters into it.

My two theories on the girl with glasses being added are:
She is either the pilot for EVA-04 or is involved with the disappearance of NERV-02. The only mention of NERV-02/EVA-04 in the series is that when EVA-04's S^2 Engine was activated, the entire N-02 center and a very large area around it disappeared. I strongly believe in this theory only because it's confirmed that in Rebuild 2.0 it will show the actual disappearance of NERV-02 (which, if it's where i think it is in the preview, is shown by one of the huge purple cross explosions).

My other theory is that she is a Kaworu/Rei type; another toy being used by SEELE to achieve Human Instrumentality/Completion. But since they don't show her eye color (Rei/Kaworu both having red eyes) i'd more lean towards the first theory, lol.

i was just watching the dvd extras on my NGE collection and it was the mythology and had these two people NGE lecturer and someone else. Taling about all this stuff that i would have never even thought off.

Like the one where they have to dance that rei is the fantasy (masturbation) because she syncs straight away with shinji dancing while asuka is the "real flesh" he has to do more to get it to work betweent hem.

and ims itting there thinking i would have never of thought of that

I don't like this series.. Confusing, and the main character was a wimp. The mecha were also pretty gay I reckon ^^ Thats just my opinion though, don't rage at me! :p

I really loved this anime, it was powerful and I can relate with shinji... except I dont have a kickass robot :( I just hope they dont get daniel radcliffe to play him in the movie, the boy has one look-slightly smile and disbelief

"Harry you've been chopped in half!"
"Oh my Gawd" bellows Harry in his breaking voice as he looks slightly surprised with a little grin "DIS.IS.BAD"

in my opinion this is what happens when you take a mental patient, give him a chance to make a television series then slowly take him off his meds. then you throw in the innuendos about the christian religion and throw it all up in the air. However, You get one totally GREAT anime series of all time.

So does anyone know if anyone has the licenses for the eva rebuild movies? I have seen a few clips around and I must have them...lol Also if some one has the license any news if the orgional actors could do the dub, its how i watched the series the first time so it would be a nice bit of nostalgia.

Despite those silly middle episodes (11-20?), I cannot recollect any series with better mecha design...

Dude that is about half the series, but the show was good. It had a nice story line and the fights were descent. The movies were great and can't wait for the new ones.

NGE was mediocre at best. I enjoyed some of the earlier episodes but the last few were craptastic. I had to fast forward through some scenes because I was bored out of my mind of the same repetitive symbolic bullshit.

Back