Neon Genesis Evangelion

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Justice4243, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Justice4243

Justice4243 New Member

[sadht=Evangelion]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/sadht][sadhl=100]neon-genesis-evangelion[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  2. kazi

kazi New Member

Posted by kazi on Mar 31, 2008
    Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion *

Wow, I can't believe this hasn't drawn any responses at all. Sure, its an old, clich├ęd series, but it still has appeal on many levels. I think so many are turned off because its the non-otaku's claim to otaku...ism....

Still, I would like to get some thing started her about this series. Its IS still one of the most thought provoking out there. Maybe we should start by trying to get a clear chronicle of what exactly happens in the series.

Also, what does every one think of Rebuild? From the looks of this blog, it seems kinda discouraging.

3. Value1k

Value1k Member

Posted by Value1k on Apr 1, 2008

I think it's an amazing show, one of the first things i ever watched and i loved it.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Posted by Adam on Apr 1, 2008

It became so incredibly boring around episode 20 that I couldn't FORCE myself to finish it.

5. kazi

kazi New Member

Posted by kazi on Apr 1, 2008

I could see that, if it wasn't one of your first anime... There is allot better development and westernization in series today. Old school anime had more of a tendency toward 'show you, not tell you' style stories.

Its more of a thoughtful series then an action packed series, though it can be both at times. I guess you just have to be in the right sorta mood.

6. Adam

Adam New Member

Posted by Adam on Apr 1, 2008
    It was intensely intriguing and entertaining before they ran out of budget and went extremely philosophical on us. I guess that the last few episodes were "let's show you and offer no explanation whatsoever".

7. OtakuDan

OtakuDan New Member

but that was interesting and entertaining for many people. we should all go to the hurt/heal game and save evangelion.

8. Blaze13

Blaze13 Member

Posted by Blaze13 on Apr 2, 2008
    That part was crap so that why they made the First movie ALOT better ending.Then the next 4 movies the are on there way 1 is out is a "better" explanation of the story,1st movie is not that bad.

9. AverageShinigami

AverageShinigami New Member

I thought that the show got good somewhere around ep 20... I also thought that the end of the series and EoE complemented each other quite perfectly. I wish they would make one big movie from both versions of eps 25 and 26 by editing them together. It would make the thing chronologically correct.

This show gets recommended to everyone because it's "essential", but I don't think it really is for everyone...

10. Escaflowne

Escaflowne Member

am i the only one who thinks that the tv ending was a lot better than the movie?

11. Blaze13

Blaze13 Member

Most likely imo the tv ending explained nothing,pointless,never made mention to SEELE plan (showed in the movie).Also the ending was a lame acid trip.

12. Escaflowne

Escaflowne Member

and that,my friend,is the reason why i loved it :p

13. Elminster

Elminster Member

I was thinking about giving nge a try, but the two good torrents I see for it, both have the episodes in a funny order. I was wondering if the order of the episodes was supposed to be out of wack like Haruhi, or if I should watch it in the correct order... The order this dl has it placed in is -

1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

14. AverageShinigami

AverageShinigami New Member

The correct order is 25, 26, skip the rest. And remember that if you don't get it, it's your own fault.:p

No, it's just 1-26 in order. If you make it far enough, End of Evangelion is a retelling/completely alternative version (depending on your interpretation, IMO definitely retelling from different perspective) of 25 and 26, so some people decide to watch that first... I wouldn't, because it spoils some of the awesome wtf?-effect.:p

15. Adam

Adam New Member

Posted by Adam on Apr 3, 2008
    Well of course, considering your favorite anime is FLCL.

16. Erinaceus

Erinaceus New Member

I think NGE is good enough to actually be watched for itself rather than just because it's a classic.
    And as to the different endings. Why pick one? I think both of them are good in their own ways and there is no reason skipping one of them. As for which I liked better, well the End of Evangelion ending is better because it contains big mechas hammering stuff. That was why I started watching it in the first place even though I really liked Shinjis "acid-trips".
    And I am quite a Big fan of FLCL yeah :D

17. Elminster

Elminster Member

On episode 13, really enjoying it so far.

18. Justice4243

Justice4243 New Member

Every time I lend out my DVDs I tell people to watch eps-1-24, the movies, then eps 25 and 26.

Every person whose watched it this way calls me a saint...well at least agrees it's the way to do it.

LavanderGirl likes this.
  19. shortlex

shortlex New Member

actually if it was me, i'll tell them to watch the commentaries before watching the movies

20. Niw

Niw New Member

Posted by Niw on Apr 13, 2008
    I don't think this has anything to do with... anything - BUT - I just got a huge urge to watch the series again. ;( And the movie. Well actually, I suddenly got a huge urge to watch the movie again, and then, as a result, I started wanting to watch the whole thing again.