Any LGBT+ manga that doesn't have dub-con or rape?

Either I'm looking in the wrong places, or this is extremely hard to find. I've picked up quite a few mangas and web comics with m/m couples and I just don't enjoy reading sex scenes with blatant lack of or dubious consent. Does anyone know of some that are safe to read?

So a lot of our manga don't have all tags yet (we look to the community to help with that), but as a tentative place to start, you could look at this advanced search result:

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/all?include_tags=304&exclude_tags=736

^manga tagged yaoi and don't have 'sexual abuse'

I say tentative because some of these haven't been triaged by community members and had suggestions made for what should/shouldn't be added tags-wise.

For this reason, it could be that you could instead look at this list of ones to AVOID:

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/all?include_tags=736,304

Since sexual abuse would only have been added here if it actually has it (we don't guess on that tag)

There sadly don't seem to be that many. I think I might start a custom list for yaoi/BL manga that has happy consensual sex. I wanna read a lot of manga for the database so if you (or anyone else) knows of any yaoi/BL where the sex is consensual please let me know - I hate reading a good yaoi and then all of a sudden they're having drunk sex or the seme is forcing himself on the uke. Bleh.

This problem also exists in manga about heterosexual relationships in that the girl is sometimes forced into a relationship, but she usually ends up happy so it's all good (in theory, it's actually pretty bad). It seems like there's less of it in yuri/GL, but I haven't read enough of that to get a general idea...

There sadly don't seem to be that many. I think I might start a custom list for yaoi/BL manga that has happy consensual sex. I wanna read a lot of manga for the database so if you (or anyone else) knows of any yaoi/BL where the sex is consensual please let me know - I hate reading a good yaoi and then all of a sudden they're having drunk sex or the seme is forcing himself on the uke. Bleh.

This problem also exists in manga about heterosexual relationships in that the girl is sometimes forced into a relationship, but she usually ends up happy so it's all good (in theory, it's actually pretty bad). It seems like there's less of it in yuri/GL, but I haven't read enough of that to get a general idea...

Why does it have to be such a common theme? I understand that it's a material to explore, but manga seems (from my experience) to frame it in a sensual way which is just a lot of no for me.

One I can think of off the top of my head is 50x50, about two long-time friends who swear they're straight trying to piece together why they woke up in bed together. A number of er... "incidences" occur when one or both parties are intoxicated though, so that may edge it into dubcon territory.

Shimanami Tasogare involves a still-in-the-closet MC who fears being outed to his class and to his crush, but finds what's essentially a LGBT+ support network in his small seaside town. It's less a straight romance and more a critical reflection on Japanese societal views on the LGBT+ community.

Sothis and Anna's posts might also help you out. Good luck! :balloon:

Im also looking for non rape m/m manga. I have found a few over the last few weeks, I will just put name up and you will have to search online for it - sorry not brilliant with my new phone to copy and paste.

kowagaranai de, soba ni ite

Honto Yajuu

Only Serious about you

Senya Ichiya Romanesque

Running on Empty

Bagjwi Sayug

Hope this helps

Why does it have to be such a common theme? I understand that it's a material to explore, but manga seems (from my experience) to frame it in a sensual way which is just a lot of no for me.
I can't speak for all the times it turns up as a theme, but often there's the element of "I don't want to admit that I like doing this because it's wrong, but really I do like it", which as a fantasy speaks to a lot of people who don't feel like they can admit to their own desires because of similar societal constraints. I don't mind it much as a theme myself, but it certainly can get tiresome even if you don't mind it - and, of course, I couldn't blame anyone for wanting to avoid it.

As for suggestions, I have these:

- Looking for the Perfect Fit (this is a nice funny one!)
- Dining Bar Akira

And if you don't mind story collections, there's:

- Tableau numero 20
- Seduce Me After the Show
- I Want a Love Story

Last edited:
Yamada to Shounen
Sweet Loving Baby
Sabishisugite Lesbian Fuuzoku ni Ikimashita Report
Otona no Mondai
Love My Life
Love and Baseball
Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!!
Free Soul
Blue Sky Complex
Shimanami Tasogare (still publishing so no idea if it will)

There is more than listed here but... It all depends on if you are ok with drunk sex or not. Cause I have some of those too. And some things I read, I just don't remember. And if you are ok with traumatic childhood past rape, where the protagonist moves on and finds a happy relationship, there is WAY more I could give you. Because that is my main set of tropes.

Sabishisugite Lesbian Fuuzoku ni Ikimashita Report

AW HECK, I forgot about that one. Great suggestion!

Known in English as My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, it's about a woman with depression who's never had the time or space to develop her own sexual identity. She decides to have her first sexual encounter with a female sex worker. Admittedly, this one doesn't have LGBT+ issues at the absolute forefront despite the author being queer herself. It has mentions of self-harm, eating disorders and suicidal ideation (related to her mental health struggles), so be aware.

Still a recommended read, though. It's a frank account of someone coming to terms with many facets of their identity and what they want in life and love.

@EnergeticNova - also thumbs up for suggesting Nakamura-kun. Wish I could read it for the first time again because it's so adorable. :love:

So a lot of our manga don't have all tags yet (we look to the community to help with that), but as a tentative place to start, you could look at this advanced search result:

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/all?include_tags=304&exclude_tags=736

^manga tagged yaoi and don't have 'sexual abuse'

I say tentative because some of these haven't been triaged by community members and had suggestions made for what should/shouldn't be added tags-wise.

For this reason, it could be that you could instead look at this list of ones to AVOID:

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/all?include_tags=736,304

Since sexual abuse would only have been added here if it actually has it (we don't guess on that tag)

Just a quick note, the browser and tha tags here on anime-planet are pretty impressive.
I always start here when looking for what to read...

A late addition, but:
are pretty good (from memory), though perhaps not the most explicit...

But, yes, I agree that the dubcon in Yaoi that has become the 'norm' is ridiculous and disheartening?
It's so disturbing that so many authors think that rape leaders causally to love...
Hopefully, it will shortly improve.

Thanks for the kind words! We rely on user contributions to help make sure the tags are accurate, as well as coming up with new tag ideas, so please do let us know here if you have any ideas/changes :) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/forums/anime-manga-tag-submissions.145/
Thanks, I am sure I will use it.
I can't speak for all the times it turns up as a theme, but often there's the element of "I don't want to admit that I like doing this because it's wrong, but really I do like it", which as a fantasy speaks to a lot of people who don't feel like they can admit to their own desires because of similar societal constraints. I don't mind it much as a theme myself, but it certainly can get tiresome even if you don't mind it - and, of course, I couldn't blame anyone for wanting to avoid it.

As for suggestions, I have these:

- Looking for the Perfect Fit (this is a nice funny one!)
- Dining Bar Akira
- Blue Morning (there's a certain amount of power balance issues in this one, just fyi, but it's really good)

And if you don't mind story collections, there's:

- Tableau numero 20
- Seduce Me After the Show
- I Want a Love Story

I think it´s not just the society VS gay...
I believe there is attraction in the "raping/drunk/not myself" concept because it applies to any relationship.
We need to admit to ourselves that we are attracted to someone, admit to our sexuality and it comes hand in hand with giving in, losing control etc. so it is scary and we need to overcome this. Is there a real rape anywhere in yaoi? The other party is always attracted, too. So the "rape" is kind of a "helping hand".
I think it might be one of the reasons why yaoi is popular in general. Because there´s more of the contradicting tension, overcoming obstacles, it´s more prominent... and it is something we need to deal with even in standard relationship.

Last edited:
There should be a tag for

"a dissapointing/ out of the character/ out of the story/ low-grade" twist or inconsistency.

I´ve almost read BL only, but I really hate when:

1. There are nicely developed characters or a story and the author uses some kind of a cliché or "deus ex machina twist" that just goes againts all the character/ story building up to that point, it´s such a let down.

2. Or when there is an interesting plot/character and yet some parts are just a carbon-copy of any other manga. I always get a bit upset because- it just could have been really good if only....

I don´t mind when the story is consistent within it´s level and genre. You don´t expect your Ikea table to be an ebony handcrafted antique… But you don´t want your wooden Ikea table to have plastic legs, stickers holding it all together..

I think it´s not just the society VS gay...
I believe there is attraction in the "raping/drunk/not myself" concept because it applies to any relationship.
We need to admit to ourselves that we are attracted to someone, admit to our sexuality and it comes hand in hand with giving in, losing control etc. so it is scary and we need to overcome this. Is there a real rape anywhere in yaoi? The other party is always attracted, too. So the "rape" is kind of a "helping hand".
I think it might be one of the reasons why yaoi is popular in general. Because there´s more of the contradicting tension, overcoming obstacles, it´s more prominent... and it is something we need to deal with even in standard relationship.

I'm going to disagree here on there not being any "real rape" in BL because I have definitely read titles that had sexual assault occur that was called out for what it was. This doesn't necessarily mean that it was treated with any real gravity in terms of how it affected the characters (though certainly sometimes it is), but nevertheless the characters were very, very clear that what had happened to them wasn't right. It's a lot different from the "helping hand" kind of treatment - more like an obstacle to be overcome or something like that, with a more clearly defined line between right and wrong.

But I would agree that the concept is something that does reverberate with a lot of people. It's definitely not a theme that's limited to manga by any means.

Back