Sakura Quest

I'm down for a P.A. Works, work-related slice of life. Shirobako, was pretty awesome, so this could be a nice little surprise too. I'm imagining, Shirobako, tourism industry edition.

Last edited:
More PV stuff:

Honestly, it's looking like it's going to be a pretty good time to me, and gives off the shirobakoing vibe more than ever.

Also, if I actually weirdly think about it, I can't really recall a series with a rural/countryside setting, I have not liked so far.

Episode 1:

It was a pretty standard setup for this type of series, but what made it fun was the quirky characters. I loved the crazy old folks, especially the council president.
It takes a very special mind to think the best way to convince her to stay would involve dressing up like a Chupacabra.

Also, the whole concept behind the kingdom is just adorably daft. So the Kingdom is named after the monster? How does that makes sense? It's like calling Transylvania Draculaville. Just seems like bad PR.

I like that the old town has a lot of character. You can see that it was once a loved and bustling place, but it's near dead now and everything is in a state of disrepair. Not the least of which is the poor castle. I do love the monster crawling out of the top, though. I thought it was supposed to Cuthulu at first, but with less tentacles. I guess a Chupacabra is just as good, though.

You know this seems like you could tweak it a bit and this would totally be the setup for a horror movie. A girl getting job offer in a remote village full of weirdos. They're totally going to try to sacrifice her to the monster of the town in an attempt to reinvigorate themselves. Even the cheap monster costume could be kept.

Anyway, I liked it.

Well that was a pretty alright start to the show.
Our pink haired main character needs to learn to read a work contract before signing!

Episode 1

Quite decent, I'd say, it's in some ways somewhat reminiscent of Amagi Brilliant Park but more slice of life-y.

ep. 1:
This looks surprisingly good with nice animation, setting, and pacing and a promising, relatable main character (a pink haired girl who isn't totally insufferable is a rare sight). It even looks like it'll have an actual plot, which slice-of-life shows usually seriously lack.

Episode 1:
Well that was pretty good. I was really looking forward to this one so I'm glad the first episode didn't disappoint.

Yoshino is pretty cute and I really like her character design. Some of her reactions are really funny, especially this one. Like Etue said, this is definitely reminiscent of Amagi Brilliant Park but replacing all that fantasy stuff with Shirobako's more grounded approach. And it works well.

So a cute main character, a quirky countryside setting and a supporting cast with strong personalities. Yep. I think this is going to be a fun ride.

Last edited:
Episode 1

Man this was fun. It reminded me of both my favourite PA Works shows, Iroha and Shirobako. Of course, I do love rural settings anyway, so the fact that the actual location is part of the plot here will definitely play into my court.

The characters all left a good first impression, and it seems there's potential for all of them, the premise is pretty absurd in the best possible way, and I love that the episodes all have fantasy chapter titles.

Best first episode of the season so far for me.

Episode 1

Man this was fun. It reminded me of both my favourite PA Works shows, Iroha and Shirobako. Of course, I do love rural settings anyway, so the fact that the actual location is part of the plot here will definitely play into my court.

The characters all left a good first impression, and it seems there's potential for all of them, the premise is pretty absurd in the best possible way, and I love that the episodes all have fantasy chapter titles.

Best first episode of the season so far for me.
It has been a promising start for definite. I haven't started all that much as of now but I do hope that as we get spring underway it'll manage to be at least one of the better shows.

It also reminded me a bit of Shirobako but at the same time feels very much like its own thing. Hopefully that'll help me to not compare it too much with Shirobako seeing as that show is top end stuff and it would not be so fair on Sakura Quest right now. :p

I
It also reminded me a bit of Shirobako but at the same time feels very much like its own thing. Hopefully that'll help me to not compare it too much with Shirobako seeing as that show is top end stuff and it would not be so fair on Sakura Quest right now. :p

Man, you have no idea how hard that was for me, considering the main character, kept making me think of pink haired Aoi with that design. :laugh:

I still fucking loved it anyway though, comparisons aside.

Last edited:
Episode 1 felt promising, and the slowly dying bucolic town setting feels better realised here than in other anime. Why? Dunno. The characters, what little we saw of them, anyway, feel likeable and well thought-out for their given roles. The only thing that I'm not completely sold on is the minstrel.

Episode 2:

This was nice.

I enjoyed watching the ladies slowly coming together and combining their skills to execute the website and try to sell those manju. They might have failed in the end, but it's a good start for a friendship, since they're all a bit awkward.

There's nice parity between Maki, Sanae and Yoshino since they all failed to make it in the big city and have come back to the country to lick their wounds and find a new life for themselves. They're in various stages of accepting it, but that means they can help each other develop. They've already started making Yoshino question exactly why she's so dead set on Tokyo. After all it wasn't really a place of opportunity for her.

I totally feel Sanse and her disgust for bugs. Tents really does scream like that every time there's a millipede in the house. There are definitely downsides to country living.

There were quite a few funny moments this episode. My favorite was them discussing the banner for the website and questioning if they could really call Yoshino the beautiful queen without qualifying it first. Their final answer was pretty funny. I enjoyed the country weirdos once again, like the bard that came to buy the manju.

Good to see that Yoshino is going to be okay with staying even if it's just for a little while. It would get monotonous if every week was her trying to overcome some challenge so she could leave.

Enjoyable episode.

02:

Funny, how I was freaking out, over a spider on my table the other day. The bug phobia is reaaaalll, and it's a big reason, why I hate the outdoors. >_>

Honestly, the character interactions were really enjoyable for me, and I find the girls pretty likeable. Sanae's like my spirit animal, hates bugs, works a computer job, numb to all nighters, yep, that's basically me.

I also liked the super cheesy, and campy video bit. That elicited a pretty genuine smile from me.

This was really pleasant, and charming. This show is obviously not the flashiest thing, in the universe, but it's something nice to relax to, and I dig that a lot.

Episode 2:

I don't have much to add, other than to note that this show has a much more varied character design than Shirobako, in which a lot of characters felt more same-y. This obviously helps differentiating the cast, and it helps immersion when there are more than two or three body and face types.

Back