Sakura Quest

Poor @Tents this is totally me when I get old:

FfjdfQB.png

I've probably got another year or two before I get there.

Episode 17:
Finally, an anime willing to tell it like it is: butt - lovers are all annoying degenerates, pestering their surroundings at every given opportunity. Sometimes they will feign embarrassment and ask about erasing browser history, but the truth is their technological ineptitude is not a burden to them. They will flaunt their deviance at the drop of a hat, and they wouldn't want it any other way.

I thought this would be more of a fetch quest for the lost relics, but thankfully, it went in another, more interesting direction. We got a moderately entertaining treatise on belonging, community, and the pitfalls and possibilities modern technology offers, but it was also the tale of a smug academic yanking around five young women. What a condescending pencil-neck. I liked it more than the cryptic hunter arc, though I miss the Spanish voice lines. I am looking forward to the thrilling resolution next week.

I just started watching this wonderful little series. I'm not caught up yet (only up to ep. 12), but I just wanted to jump in here to say I have been thoroughly enjoying Sakura Quest.

It never fails to put a smile on my face or give me a fit of laughter. It's just been a lovely, warm series that gives me a feeling of comfort, like fresh clothes out of the dryer.

6/10 for me.

I still enjoyed this show overall, and it was quite pleasant. But to be really honest, it's probably the weakest out of the 3 working P.A. works shows. It didn't really have the same magic here, and kind of felt too light on substance.

This wrapped up today and overall it was a pleasant, but unremarkable watch. The first few episodes drew me in, but from there my enthusiasm started to peter out. The characters aren't that great and a lot of what they have to overcome is trite and only mildly interesting. I'll give this a 6 out of 10

This was a cool series. It definitely had some weaker parts, but it also had so many things that really endeared it to me. All five girls, for starters. The whole show was very character focused, and they did their best to make them relatable and well rounded. It had a lot of small character moments that could easily be missed, but said a lot about them. The story was very down to earth, and really more an excuse to get to know these people. It presented itself mostly realisticly, never through exaggeration.

I feel the overarching theme was „not finding your place in the world”. It’s what all the main characters and the town itself suffered from at the start. Yoshino had big ambitions, but was directionless. Maki failed her dream, and was constantly grumpy. Sanae couldn’t take the corporate grind and wasted away on the internet. Ririko was an introverted autist who would die alone. Shiori was deathly afraid of change and moving out of her comfort zone.

There weren't any easy wins, they’d outright fail sometimes, and even if things went mostly alright, the situation was messy and complicated, and even when they did succeed, the lack of results was downright discouraging. It became pretty obvious to me that Manoyama never really had a chance at being a huge bustling town, but the series never got too pessimistic about this.

It's all about appreciating the little things in life, taking the good with the bad.
The town didn’t change that much, but the people did. And now all of them are in a much better place than they were before after getting either their first taste of true passion or their first in long time. Behind that can-do attitude she often showed a lot of self-doubt, but not any more. These folks all have really grown on me. They’re so much happier now and I'm a bit happier for having seen this.

Goodbye Sandal-kun.

Last edited:
As a whole i enjoyed this series, it started a bit slow and i felt it was going to be something i drop (if a show is boring, i don't last too long unless something keeps my interest at least a bit), as it progressed i began to take interest in characters and started getting into the idea of Yoshino's actual role of bringing the essentially dead town to life.
The show offered some fun slice of life moments and other more series moments, it was nice that not everything worked out all the time, ideas would be weak, people wouldn't cooperate and sometimes, things just fell through - this was countered by success on other ventures of course but i liked that wasn't afraid to let the girls get knocked down and we watch them rise again.

It was also nice to have a series with some fun but casual slice of life moments which was outside the school setting and based on younger adults.

As a whole, whilst it started slow, as it progressed it drew me in and i grew to enjoy watching it a lot, i will happily say it is worth a 3.5 or even a 4 out of 5.

Yoshino was a great MC, he had backbone, she didn't give up and not everything went her way but she still was a great sport right to the end.

Ep. 25:
The scenes with the mayor were so funny. :D
"Are you gonna wasshoi?" "I wanna wasshoi!" :DDD
I can't deny I got teary-eyed at the end.

Overall I'll go with 6/10. It had a really good start, and then it fell into a stereotype. The characters were kind of empty, with no actual development (for a show based on characters), and most of the episodes were dull, but it was still watchable, and it had its moments.

But that's wrong. Changes may have been predictable but they were there. No need to go so far to explain your boredom.
"I don't care about this town, oh, no, wait, I do." "I don't like acting - oh, no, wait, I do"
But the characters act and think in the exact same way they did since like the second episode, except for some teeny-tiny, minor changes and the end
where everyone makes life-changing decisions.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters (they were the reason I continued watching this show), but I expected bigger growth, because the characters were the main focus of this anime. As it is, the only thing that grew was the community of the city as a whole, but individually, not so much.

Last edited:
There's loads of character development for the entire cast. I just wasn't a fan of how it was achieved or where the characters started from as some of the development seems like things they should have realized or learned ages ago.

Honestly, despite being quite interesting at time I think that all and all this anime didn't really make the setting that interesting looking by itself. The characters had decent establishment and did have some character developing plot arcs but nothing that really felt like it was a major revelation. Their changes were often subtle and foreshadowed and rarely surprising. If you're going to make your setting plain and try and further the whole plot point of it not being as plain as it first appears then some graphical spectacle here and there would be appreciated but even the scenes that were there toward the end to seemingly impress us didn't really do the job. While the sub-cast I'll say was fairly strong the character twists and the whole way it held together just didn't feel quite as impactful as it should have been. Like ZetsubouKaiji implied I just don't think it's really surprising enough in character development while building a lot of the show on it's characters while strangely enough neglecting the setting it's supposedly promoting in the story. Saying this I of course know that the place doesn't exist in real life but still, they could have made the town and it's environment more appealing, I think.

I'll still give it a passing grade, 3/5~3.25/5 or something seems reasonable but nothing more than that.

I absolutely loved every minute of Sakura Quest
at the end of Episode 25 when Yoshino got on the train I cried so much, the story was so beautiful, it was absolutely perfect

Back