This Villain Emperor's Gotta Charm the Male Lead to Survive! - Reviews

Alt titles: Chuan Yue Cheng Fan Pai Yao Ru He Huo Ming, To Be or Not to Be

This Villain Emperor's Gotta Charm the Male Lead to Survive!
Manthika's avatar
Jan 14, 2021

An actual soap opera.  The angsty tale of two souls doomed to eternal miscommunication because when it's BL that means it's two men and Men Don't Communicate

A CEO gets isekai'd into the body of a villainous Emperor of a web novel he liked under the assumptions that Canon Is Always Right (and thus, the male lead must be heterosexual) and a good amount of the first season holds a somewhat comical tone.  However, and there is little I can say without spoilers so I'm doing my best here, this is NOT a lighthearted manhua overall and is very dramatic.  Very Soap Opera.  Subplots in subplots in subplots- the content warning for suicide is there for a reason, there's violence and betrayal and Ancient Chinese Court Style Intrigue and really, you'll be glued to the screen wanting to know what happens next.

It's very well written.  And addictive.

I'm still constantly yelling at the main ship for not using their words like adults though.

duchessliz's avatar
Feb 13, 2021

I had this series in my PTR list for ages. However, I couldn't find it on any of the main sites I read on. Low and behold one of my backup sites, that I NEVER go on btw, had it on the recently updated list. I snapped onto it so fast I made myself a little dizzy lol. While the series had an iffy first two or three chapters, it got soooo much better and I got hooked right after that!

Our MC was a company president/CEO who transmigrated into a story he'd read, right into the body of the villain emperor who... hilariously, is a very lustful gay teen with a harem of around 3000 men! x'D Our MC is Xiao Yuan while our other ML is Yan HeQing who is the hostage prince of the southern empire (the emperor Xiao Yuan possessed is over the northern empire). In the novel Yan HeQing ends up killing the emperor and marrying the emperor's sister the princess (before she offs herself after her brother dies and then he forms a harem of women after her death). So Xiao Yuan is determined to get on the prince's good side and try and set him up with his sister and... the prince ends up becoming interested in the emperor instead! Though, the misunderstandings from the dumbasses of the palace will make you repeatedly facepalm. It's like a soap opera in ancient China! x'D

However, it doesn't stay light hearted. It WILL break your heart and make you cry! In the 40-ish chapter range is when things get real and several times from then on I sobbed like a little b**ch! T^T

I'm hoping for a happy ending, but before we hopefully get there, we have some heartbreak tossed in. This story may start off slow, but it gets addictive and right now it's definitely one of my absolute favorites! There are 66 translated chapters at the writing of this review.

Be aware that like most MC's Yuan is an oblivious idiot! Like, he's trying so hard to keep to the story that he doesn't realize that it's already gone sideways and backwards because HeQing loves him and no other! HeQing has it BAD! And Yuan keeps accidentally stepping on his heart and it's breaking mine! T^T

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend this one! It's beautiful! T^T I want to go read the webnovel soon, and comfort myself from Yuan's most recent f**k up with HeQing and his misunderstandings and breaking the poor man's heart! T^T

Below you'll find a few scenes in the manhua between HeQing and Yuan. The dark haired pretty looking one is Yuan, the blue haired one is HeQing...

NEETDebutante's avatar
Jan 7, 2022

You'll laugh and you'll cry.  And you'll drool over the lovely bishie men.  This is some of the best artwork in a manga/manhua  I have ever seen. Unlike Silent Lover/Concubine there's no torture or abuse,  it's mostly fluff. However, the reader will experience the visceral pain of  war in the first part of the story. There's also a couple plot twists that make the story interesting. I've read the novel and the first 100 or so chapters are true to the book-- except it doesn't include the side stories. I was very surprised to see that the manhua is developing story arcs independent of the novel, rather than just ending the series. What a treat!

Len453's avatar
Jul 17, 2020

Cute story and one of the very very few BL isekai stories

It's pretty light and comedic (but does have a few angsty parts) but if you're not too weak then it's smth I really really recommend

The art is really beautiful and both MC and ML are pretty good looking :D

bunkoohops's avatar
Apr 7, 2021

It is very interesting as it developed from one-sided enemy to friends to lovers kind of trope. the story is heavy and it gives a rather natural and real representation of war and the nobility's hunger for power and revenge.

spoiler ahead.

but it just irks me that the mc has not realised his feelings despite the ml's persistence and obvious attempt but i kinda like it since i think it's meant to be slow burn. i must tell you that if you hate heavy angst this is not for you. people will die (not main characters) because there's war. and that's the beauty because it also shows how people recover. i have only read up to 69 so i hope there's more development between the two men.