The Promised Neverland

I don’t read manga :lenny:
This is the boat I'm on...........though my reasoning might differ from others. for me it's not that I don't get entertainment value from pages, quite the opposite. I get obsessive, I lose track of time, If I pick something up with 100 chapters, I might end up done with it in one night, and when I read current things, the time between waiting for chapters always felt more painful than the wait on episodes............

In short, manga isn't good for me, it's got me into trouble.............

and I still think she'll play a bigger role in the series as we progress through the plot.
And here I was thinking she just lost more than half the merchandise including 2 of the precious top quality kids, And thus she'd be doomed to being fired and subsequently executed...................And this part of this comment confirms that won't be happening.........}

There I go spoiling myself by reading too deeply again >_> watashi no seidesu

I agree. The wait for a manga chapter is really hard. I do read manga, but only when I'm extremely bored and don't have an anime to watch... or if I absolutely loved the anime and want to read the continuation of it. But, if there is an upcoming second season, I'd rather wait and watch then be spoiled by the manga.

This part:
Boku-dake-ga-Inai-Machi-12-f1-700x385.jpg

It's when he realizes that Sotaru's existence is what fills the hole in this life... not his death. And later in that scene, when he finds Sotaru alive and winking at him... you could feel his sense of relief as well as acknowledgement that he doesn't need to kill to fill that empty hole.

He's just one of those villains that I don't think I'll ever forgive. He was too deep in the red man.

I don’t read manga :lenny:

giphy.gif

And here I was thinking she just lost more than half the merchandise including 2 of the precious top quality kids, And thus she'd be doomed to being fired and subsequently executed...................And this part of this comment confirms that won't be happening.........}

There I go spoiling myself by reading too deeply again >_> watashi no seidesu

I mean, ghosts son. Just cause she might get got, doesn't mean she can't do something prior to that happening. e_e

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!! MAYBE I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE MANGA?! MAYBE I'M A LIAR!? DOUBT EVERYTHING!

Final thoughts:
this has been a good winter season, but of course this being a big reason. I sort of miss the internal thoughts of the characters from the manga, and yet I can understand why the director chose not to do a direct copy, he wanted it to be different, like the scene where Isabella shows up right before Emma leaves, that surprised me. And while some of the OSTs can be hits or misses, music can really enhance the experience. Its the greatest joy just to see my favorite characters being animated to life. As for the score, do I really need to? You guys can already guess how much I love the series.

This is the boat I'm on...........though my reasoning might differ from others. for me it's not that I don't get entertainment value from pages, quite the opposite. I get obsessive, I lose track of time, If I pick something up with 100 chapters, I might end up done with it in one night, and when I read current things, the time between waiting for chapters always felt more painful than the wait on episodes............

In short, manga isn't good for me, it's got me into trouble.............

I can understand that, though I read so that I don't get spoiled on a series from other people. I got spoiled big time during the time I was watching Batman Beyond, so I swore after that that it would never happen again, even if it meant walking a difficult path.

That and I always thought it was a better way to understand an author's emotions by reading the original manga. And I'm so used to reading manga that its become ingrained in me. Old habits die hard as they say.

I had not been a part of the discussion for this show as I had caved and read the manga after the first episode and was very upset at myself for this. But I would like to post some of my thoughts now that the season has ended.

There were so many little scenes and details that they added that were not in the manga and I was surprised by how well it worked out and how much it added. Sister Krone for one, she was a lot more enjoyable a character here in the anime with how crazy she would get when talking to herself. I also don't remember her having a doll she played with.

Whenever there was a big revelation such as Ray being the traitor or just a tense situation like when Don and Gilda snuck into the secret room, I was always on the edge of my seat even though I knew the outcomes. The great camera work to emphasize the fear of the house and how the kids felt about their whole situation added so much for me.

The entire escape was better than I imagined. Going from Ray absolutely speechless about how this is all happening while we see scenes of the kids training for their getaway felt rewarding. Isabella desperate to stop them from escaping, then to wishing them luck on their new life, she wasn't as bad as they wanted us to believe earlier in the show. She chose a different option then the kids to survive, but she is happy to think their current plan will workout for them.

All in all I loved it. The animation was great for the most part emphasizing small movements and expressions, the soundtrack added tension as well as relief depending on the scene, and man do I love these characters.

5/5

Episode 12:

Omg it's here. OK let's do this!

Phil sure took all of that in stride. He's a smart little bean.

They're all so damn smart. Like right when I think "Oh shit, their plan to cross the bridge won't work!" they're all like "AHA! we weren't crossing the bridge anyway!" XD

Omg is Ray Isabela's son?!?! D:

I like that they gave us a little flashback into mom's childhood as one of the children and her accepting her role as amom to survive. It makes her character seem more dynamic and less like this one dimensional bad guy we should all hate because they're evil. She's no doubt just doing what she has to, to stay alive and maybe she's become twisted in the process, but who can blame her for that?

MAN.

We only got tiny glimpses of the outside world. I'm so prepared for season 2.

What a ride so far. Fuck. I can't wait for more. I loved, and was equally terrified of. every second of this show.

12:

Well now that you mention it show they do look similar and it certainly makes the special treatment make more sense. If your job is to send this kids to slaughter like livestock then picking a favorite doesn't make sense. Even if she had the flimsy reason of using him to spy there really wasn't anything to spy on until the very end of Ray's tenure. Him being her son makes the whole spy thing fly because it was an excuse to treat him as special and lavish him with gifts even if she knew she'd have to sacrifice him eventually.

Also, for a show so reliant dialogue Isabella's mostly dialogue free backstory was beautifully executed gave all the necessary information. I preferred the direction for Krone's death, but both scenes are beautifully executed. I love this and Dororo, but if I had to pick which show had the better directed set pieces then I'd choose Neverland.;/spoiler]

Anyway 8 out of 10 because while it's clearly part of a much bigger story this season tells a satisfying story on its own. It has arcs for the characters and it wraps up at a nice spot. I want more, but I could be satisfied if it was just this. The pacing was a bit wonky at times and there's quite a bit of suspension of disbelief that goes into some of the twists, but I can overlook those with an anime that can deliver tension on this level.

Episode 12:
OKAY FINE I ADMIT IT @Franconator WAS RIGHT ABOUT PHIL THE WHOLE TIME! THERE I SAID IT!

*ahem*

Well, as predicted it ended with the successful escape and the kids looking out over the outside world. I'm a little disappointed that didn't involve faces of pure horror as they gazed upon an industrial hellscape crawling with demons... but I'm happy nonetheless. I knew Isabella would be the girl in the second ED and that she would have tried to escape, only to fail and consign herself to doing whatever horrible things she had to in order to survive and at least let other children be happy and ignorant for their short, doomed lives... but shit, Ray being her birth child? Goddamn, that's some cruel shit even for demons, putting them at the same plant. Regardless, it was nice to see her get humanized and partially redeemed as a sympathetic villain merely doing the only thing she thought she could. It will be interesting to see what they do with her in the future; if nothing else, we'll have to learn something about her fate when Emma and co. return in two years for the younglings.

Final Thoughts
So, I had a couple of issues... Minerva's morse code book plates are a bit of a sticking point for me because they made a big deal out of it in that one episode and then not a damn thing came of it. They didn't really get anything significant from it, it wasn't a red herring, it's just been forgotten completely. At best, it was an early clue toward Phil's remarkable powers of observation, but even in that capacity it was rather weak and too significant to be just that and nothing more. It was contrived to begin with and as much as I'd personally rather forget about it, it's part of canon and I can't just ignore that the show ignored it like that. And yeah, I'm sure it'll come into play eventually, but seeing as I think I'm about the only one who's even brought it up since that episode, that Chekov's gun was planted way too early and thinking about it irritates me...

The other thing I wasn't entirely thrilled about is one that someone else brought up previously: even what relatively little we've seen of the demons I think has been too much; it takes away from the mystery, and the unknown horror of the enemy. The series kind of lets its shounen nature show here, to its detriment I think... and that does concern me when it comes to where the series goes from here. It could very easily lose the horror element entirely and become Bleach or Naruto, which has its place... but that place is not following this beginning. Buuut, I have heard plenty of continued praise from manga-readers, some of whom I know would be just as disappointed with that outcome, soooo... it'll probably be fine XD

In the end though, these complaints don't amount to much compared to what the show does right. Which is quite a bit. I'm satisfied, I'm glad one of the two horror offerings this season lived up to my expectations (yes I'm salty af about Boogiepop), and I'm looking forward to season 2. Even better knowing that they appear to be following the MHA model, where we don't have to sit through whole seasons (sometimes multiple) of filler nonsense like certain other WSJ shows... *cough cough*

I’m actually surprised that Phil wasn’t evil tbh, @Franconator you got some crystal ball or something?
As for this episode, we got a beautiful flashback scene of Isabelle, some explained side stuff, Ray is Isabelle’s child (which actually made sense but surprised me a little bit, but I should of seen it coming.) I’m glad the children got out and the mother isn’t coming out to get them, and the mother letting them go will probably make escaping easier for future Phil. This was a good, solid ending. Now please excuse me while I go read the manga.

This was one of the best shows of the season, shit ton of well thought out scenes, The Promised Neverland was really able to trap my emotions. It was a great watch, 4 out of 5 stars.

I’m actually surprised that Phil wasn’t evil tbh, @Franconator you got some crystal ball or something?
As for this episode, we got a beautiful flashback scene of Isabelle, some explained side stuff, Ray is Isabelle’s child (which actually made sense but surprised me a little bit, but I should of seen it coming.) I’m glad the children got out and the mother isn’t coming out to get them, and the mother letting them go will probably make escaping easier for future Phil. This was a good, solid ending. Now please excuse me while I go read the manga.

This was one of the best shows of the season, shit ton of well thought out scenes, The Promised Neverland was really able to trap my emotions. It was a great watch, 4 out of 5 stars.

I just love how the whole thing became such a meme even though I was just having some fun with @Franconator ... haha

Well damn! Season 2 can not come quick enough.
I really liked this one. Was a bit iffy at the start as to will I wont I, but I caved. Mama's character development was great, just loved to hate her till her flashback drops and it all falls into place. Wasn't really shocked about Ray being her kid, totally made sense, though I did think it might have been Emma for a while when she was pushing her to become a mom.
On a side note, does anyone else think the newest(?) baby or at least one of them looks like Emma? Especially after their younger flashback (Emma sneaking in to see Norman when he's sick).
Also the women having the kids kinda explains Krones madness with the doll a bit. Losing a child breaks you. She was great, sad they killed her off, wanted more of her crazy! XD
Which leads me to believe Norman is still alive for the moment cos it takes two to tango and he's a smart cookie! So harvest those intelligent swimmers before feasting on that gorgeous brain XD
Reading all the love and scepticism for Phil had me in stitches. I was on the fence too as I couldnt pin him down, which irked me. I'm kinda good at calling things early on in shows and movies like this. The poor créatúr when Emma confirmed his suspicions and he's balling his eyes out. I wanted her to say fuck it were all going! He's a brave lil pudding though. Hopefully mama won't suspect, though she probably does. Will she be a help or hinder second time round?

Overall, I enjoyed the animation, I thought the sketchy expressions added some light-hearted comedic value to the heavy dark plot. But then I have a weird sense of humour.
I liked and hated the music after a while, that nananana was catchy and annoying. Found myself humming it in work some days -_-

Can't wait for season 2. Bring it!
Though I want to know what happens, I'm not gonna spoil it by reading the manga as I'd end up getting sucked in for hours/days and I can't afford that. Also I think something of this genre is better watched than read to get the full effect, especially when done well, which this was.

Episode 12:
OKAY FINE I ADMIT IT @Franconator WAS RIGHT ABOUT PHIL THE WHOLE TIME! THERE I SAID IT!

*ahem*

Well, as predicted it ended with the successful escape and the kids looking out over the outside world. I'm a little disappointed that didn't involve faces of pure horror as they gazed upon an industrial hellscape crawling with demons... but I'm happy nonetheless. I knew Isabella would be the girl in the second ED and that she would have tried to escape, only to fail and consign herself to doing whatever horrible things she had to in order to survive and at least let other children be happy and ignorant for their short, doomed lives... but shit, Ray being her birth child? Goddamn, that's some cruel shit even for demons, putting them at the same plant. Regardless, it was nice to see her get humanized and partially redeemed as a sympathetic villain merely doing the only thing she thought she could. It will be interesting to see what they do with her in the future; if nothing else, we'll have to learn something about her fate when Emma and co. return in two years for the younglings.

Final Thoughts
So, I had a couple of issues... Minerva's morse code book plates are a bit of a sticking point for me because they made a big deal out of it in that one episode and then not a damn thing came of it. They didn't really get anything significant from it, it wasn't a red herring, it's just been forgotten completely. At best, it was an early clue toward Phil's remarkable powers of observation, but even in that capacity it was rather weak and too significant to be just that and nothing more. It was contrived to begin with and as much as I'd personally rather forget about it, it's part of canon and I can't just ignore that the show ignored it like that. And yeah, I'm sure it'll come into play eventually, but seeing as I think I'm about the only one who's even brought it up since that episode, that Chekov's gun was planted way too early and thinking about it irritates me...

The other thing I wasn't entirely thrilled about is one that someone else brought up previously: even what relatively little we've seen of the demons I think has been too much; it takes away from the mystery, and the unknown horror of the enemy. The series kind of lets its shounen nature show here, to its detriment I think... and that does concern me when it comes to where the series goes from here. It could very easily lose the horror element entirely and become Bleach or Naruto, which has its place... but that place is not following this beginning. Buuut, I have heard plenty of continued praise from manga-readers, some of whom I know would be just as disappointed with that outcome, soooo... it'll probably be fine XD

In the end though, these complaints don't amount to much compared to what the show does right. Which is quite a bit. I'm satisfied, I'm glad one of the two horror offerings this season lived up to my expectations (yes I'm salty af about Boogiepop), and I'm looking forward to season 2. Even better knowing that they appear to be following the MHA model, where we don't have to sit through whole seasons (sometimes multiple) of filler nonsense like certain other WSJ shows... *cough cough*
I’m feeling the same pain about Boogiepop too.
:crying:

Ok, so this note I had for episode 11 is kind of overdue, but it definitely ties in with 12.
I knew it!! I knew these kids had to have known something based on their expressions!
IMG-2500.jpg

IMG-2498.jpg

Confirms that one needs to rewatch this season after seeing those "small key instances" that are intentionally hidden from the audience.

I really like how Norman and Emma devised a better plan of escape behind Ray's back and how intricately woven it was in the story, while still keeping it hidden from both Ray and the audience. Also, I'm really glad that they did give Isabella some human qualities in the end, but I never expected her to be Ray's biological mother!

Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-10-47-47-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-10-55-56-PM.png

Wow, just wow!! That totally surprised me and I'm still blown away by that twist!!!!! (Feels like Luke and Vader all over again.) Especially when I consider what I said before about them being primary opponents in this escape game.

luke_i_am_your_father_by_dreamsinger99-d35r88n.jpg

Just goes to show that avoiding spoilers sure pays off for moments like these!

Also, I knew the song Isabella sings would have a key role in the series when it was first mention by Connie, but I never realized how intricate it would really be.

So in short, kids escaped, Isabella redeemed, biological mother and son twist, and important song equals a terrific season finale!!!!!

Now to rewatch this season all over again! Haha!

Last edited:
Back