The Promised Neverland

One day, you'll all see where I'm coming from with Phil. One day, my friends. One day.

Only people that understood the true Phil were Franco and @AngelBeatsYui

OKAY FINE I ADMIT IT @Franconator WAS RIGHT ABOUT PHIL THE WHOLE TIME! THERE I SAID IT!

I just love how the whole thing became such a meme even though I was just having some fun with @Franconator ... haha

ALL Y'ALL DOUBTERS BETTER BOW DOWN WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

2SN5h.jpg

okay but how much funnier would it be if Phil led her to a whole bunch of ears

Wow, what a finale. It had emotional gutpunches and fist-pumping moments in great supply, and I can't even begin to tell you guys how relieved I was when that last shot aired. They made it out! The kids are all alright! A man can rest peacefully now, that's what's up. Except maybe not too peacefully, not when there's the promise of a second season out there over the horizon.

Isabella's story was undoubtedly the highlight of the episode, and I say this despite the fact that we finally got our long-awaited escape here. I feel bad for Norman, but I don't think he's dead yet. And even then, I'm not the least bit reassured a potential reappearance will be something good.

But about Isabella...

Also, for a show so reliant dialogue Isabella's mostly dialogue free backstory was beautifully executed gave all the necessary information. I preferred the direction for Krone's death, but both scenes are beautifully executed.

This is it. More than creepy dialogue and witty back-and-forths, Neverland really excels in the music department. To have the haunting/soothing lullaby play over Isabella's tragic backstory was a really great power move, and worked well to give her the humanity spoken dialogue wouldn't have been able to fully capture. I guess this means it's safe to believe Isabella's the girl featured so heavily in the second ED, and that she sees herself in Emma, which is why she's developed such a soft spot for the kid. Her being Ray's actual mother was just the icing on the cake, although I'm a little miffed she didn't actually give birth to ALL of the children in her house.

Which should now raise the question: who's supplying the sperm?

Which should now prompt me to raise this suggestion: what if it's the rest of the special kids they hid away, like Norman?

And real talk: I was half-expecting her to kill herself after letting the children go. But I admit, hearing her send the kids off with such hope and twisted love really got to me.

One other stand-out quality Neverland has is its facial animations. Everything's captured so vividly on everyone's faces, so even if it took a while to fully digest the implications of Ray's biological origins...

2SN5g.jpg

... you can still feel the full impact of all these conflicts coming to a head within Isabella.

This show's great.

4/5

I'm glad to see all the people who liked this show. It was well done in all departments! I think this blew away Made in Abyss by a longshot. The characters were just great! It will be on my rewatch list from now on! Phil was the bright and shiny star even though we will not know what will happen next season. Love how they did Isabella! The humanism in this is well done. People can be both angel's and demon's at the same time while promoting their own self-interests in the face of a dire situation. The anime's portrayal of the emotion on the characters was great! I can't wait for the new season! And Please NO spoilers on it.

I'm glad to see all the people who liked this show. It was well done in all departments! I think this blew away Made in Abyss by a longshot. The characters were just great! It will be on my rewatch list from now on! Phil was the bright and shiny star even though we will not know what will happen next season. Love how they did Isabella! The humanism in this is well done. People can be both angel's and demon's at the same time while promoting their own self-interests in the face of a dire situation. The anime's portrayal of the emotion on the characters was great! I can't wait for the new season! And Please NO spoilers on it.

It's a show that is on par with Made in Abyss, it has a similar vibe to it but I wouldn't say that it blows Made in Abyss away by a longshot.

Bondrewd and Ozen are comparable to Isabella and Krone. The main characters are all just as determined to achieve a goal. The world design in Made in Abyss is on a whole different level but the chess match in The Promised Neverland never gets old.

Last edited:
It's a show that is on par with Made in Abyss, it has a similar vibe to it but I wouldn't say that it blows Made in Abyss away by a longshot. Bondrewd and Ozen are comparable to Isabella and Krone. The main characters are all just as determined to achieve a goal. The world design in Made in Abyss is on a whole different level but the chess match in The Promised Neverland never gets old

I agree! I look forward to both. Abyss looks like it will get realy scary as they go deeper. I can't wait! Ozen and Isabella both had a hearts content.

Ep. 12:
Yeah, they're not leaving them behind. You're not fooling me.
I said it before, and I'll say it again - Phil is shady af. There's no way he betrayed them, but he's still shady af.
The escape was really good.
Yes. Leave the child screaming her lungs out crying. It's not like anyone can hear you.
One of the kids is Isabella's? Is that another plot twist? The first kid that crossed my mind was Phil, because he looks similar to her, but he's too young. One of the main three (two) is probably the best bet. Ray again?
Ray.

Overall, the show had its ups and downs. The plot twists were mostly predictable, the characters were acting really dumb (especially for kids who were supposed to be super smart) and overly dramatic sometimes, and it wasn't nearly as smart as it made it seem it was supposed to be. But the creepy atmosphere and the soundtrack were amazing, the episodes weren't dragging, and I enjoyed the show as a whole. A very nice 7.5/10 from me. I'm looking forward to the next season.

I cannot wait for the next step of their journey!

Isabella...loved her background story, really wanted more of it.

Phil...what a brave little soul. Cannot wait to see more of him as he grows on that farm.

15 kids on the run...an adventure to look forward to

@UniversalParanoia1 I forgot to reply to you, for some reason, so you're getting your very own reply here!

I’m actually surprised that Phil wasn’t evil tbh, @Franconator you got some crystal ball or something?

Phil was the show's biggest red herring, so even I was almost fooled for an episode and a half. But it was his bond with Emma that saved him for me. Given how close they always seemed to be in some of the throwaway scenes, I didn't think it was possible for Emma to just leave him behind without giving a proper heads-up.

By going off on the manga readers, I don't think Phil was this suspicious in the source material. I think the animators just had way too much fun with his cute little bean face here to throw us all in for a loop. Phil's my shining star and my favorite boy, ain't nobody taking that away from him.

Just light the place on FIRE already.

(good episode, nice and intense and despairing)
Yeah! Let it burn!!! (called it)

Should have laid a trap and just killed "mom"... but hey, we still have another episode.
(is it bad I'm kinda hoping for a "bad" ending?)

Last edited:
I would love for the next season to completely abandon the escapees and focus solely on Phil and Mama running the best fucking farm in existence for many years to come. The main trio isn't horrible, but they simply cannot compare.

For some reason, I presumed the kids were grown in vats, but I guess I should have picked up on the subtle clue of the title of "Mama". I wonder if there is a stable of Papas as well, or if all of the livestock is massively inbred.

Last edited:
I told ya that if this anime was popular enough, it get its own dub version for the states/Uk.

Though, I'm still skeptical on the cast and if it'll be any good when compared to the sub version (which I do prefer at this point).

Yeah the sub for TPN is really good and I have so much love for it. But personally I also think the dub will be just fine in it’s own way. The dubbing company is Aniplex of America and of course while every dubbing company has their low points, I believe that Aniplex of America tends to have pretty good dubs. Considering one of the dubs they’re known for is Gurren Lagann and I personally love that dub. So I have faith that it’ll be good. We’ll get androgynous(ish) type voices for Norman and Ray though. Girls can only go so deep with their voices and there’s not many young boys in the dubbing industry. The last young boy I remember in the anime dubbing industry is, Aaron Dismuke who’s now like 20 something now but was 12ish around his days of voicing Alphonse.

Yeah the sub for TPN is really good and I have so much love for it. But personally I also think the dub will be just fine in it’s own way. The dubbing company is Aniplex of America and of course while every dubbing company has their low points, I believe that Aniplex of America tends to have pretty good dubs. Considering one of the dubs they’re known for is Gurren Lagann and I personally love that dub. So I have faith that it’ll be good. We’ll get androgynous(ish) type voices for Norman and Ray though. Girls can only go so deep with their voices and there’s not many young boys in the dubbing industry. The last young boy I remember in the anime dubbing industry is, Aaron Dismuke who’s now like 20 something now but was 12ish around his days of voicing Alphonse.

(I hope it’s okay that I reply to this without the spoiler tag) I have found it weird in the Japanese dubs that Ray & Norman were voiced by girls.
Personally it should have been boys voice acting as the boys but perhaps in Japan they have similar issues? I don’t know for sure so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Why is there such a shortage of boys dubing make characters? Sounds sad to me.

(I hope it’s okay that I reply to this without the spoiler tag) I have found it weird in the Japanese dubs that Ray & Norman were voiced by girls.
Personally it should have been boys voice acting as the boys but perhaps in Japan they have similar issues? I don’t know for sure so please correct me if I’m wrong.

It might be because female voice actors are able to sound deep enough so we know the character's a boy, and sound light enough so we know the character's still young. Male voice actors aren't always so flexible, and I don't think there are many of them out there who can go several octaves higher to voice a character who hasn't hit puberty yet.

Yeah, I wouldn't know myself. I also may be deaf but I didn't even notice that Norman and Ray are voiced by girls. Sometimes the original creators request different things from the people that later dub the original audio. For example, in the original Japanese recording, they used a bowl to help do voice stuff for Al and told Funimation they had to do the same for Maxy and Aaron when they voiced Al.

@Franconator makes a great point though about acting abilities vocal wise.

It might be because female voice actors are able to sound deep enough so we know the character's a boy, and sound light enough so we know the character's still young. Male voice actors aren't always so flexible, and I don't think there are many of them out there who can go several octaves higher to voice a character who hasn't hit puberty yet.

Yeah, I wouldn't know myself. I also may be deaf but I didn't even notice that Norman and Ray are voiced by girls. Sometimes the original creators request different things from the people that later dub the original audio. For example, in the original Japanese recording, they used a bowl to help do voice stuff for Al and told Funimation they had to do the same for Maxy and Aaron when they voiced Al.

@Franconator makes a great point though about acting abilities vocal wise.
Thank you very much! To the both of you, I understand better now.

Back