Television Discussion

Cause when they tried, the mouthbreathers came out bitching about Bo (Bow?) being black, Glimmer being a little chubby and She-Ra wearing shorts.
That sounds so sad. I'll check this out and see if its worth watching.
If there was a new character that's a man with a heart on his armor like Bow, those same people would freak.

That sounds so sad. I'll check this out and see if its worth watching.
If there was a new character that's a man with a heart on his armor like Bow, those same people would freak.
It's worth it. Really, the villains kind of steal the show. Heck, I found Catra's arc a little more investing than I did Adora's.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Way better than Voltron. I like the chunky one who teleports. She's sassy. Action isn't amazing, but it's not bad. Other princesses are fun. Especially the scorpion one who kinda looks like Zarya and sounds like Drew Saturday.
Was hoping the cat one would defect too. But no, she still evil...jerk.

Was hoping they'd hint at He-Man before it ended. Guess they're saving that for season 2...and hey, it had what I'm fairly sure is an adorable little gay couple.
tumblr_pi5o8f0tBs1r7dj6uo5_1280.png
Always a plus.

But yeah, it's good...and now I gotta wait forever for the next season. Cause the binge watching format is stupid.
Yeah, it's well above its crappy-as-fuck eighties kiddie show roots. As a child of the eighties, it's my prerogative to say that they all fucking blew, and any qualities they had were purely incidental or subtextual. It's obviously not just a glorified toy commercial this time, but a kids' show that can be enjoyed by adults as well. I'm trying to limit myself to one episode per day, but that won't make the wait much noticeably shorter.

Cause when they tried, the mouthbreathers came out bitching about Bo (Bow?) being black, Glimmer being a little chubby and She-Ra wearing shorts.
You forgot that She-Ra's tiddies ain't big enough either. That is apparently a major source of contention, despite the whole cast being seemingly de-aged into teenagers.
It's worth it. Really, the villains kind of steal the show. Heck, I found Catra's arc a little more investing than I did Adora's.
Catra is the best character so far.

Watching Inside Amy Schumer and it's the 12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer episode discussing if she's hot enough to bang as a verdict of her being guilty or not. It's actually pretty funny and pretty true, but I would go with the majority of the jury in the opening.

Hip Hop Evolution season 2

Just as great as the first season. I like that this one got a bit more regional and dug deep into how the different styles evolved and influenced each other. However, my favorite thing about it is that it stayed about the music and didn't linger too long on Tupac or Biggie. Those guys were great talents, but their premature deaths inflated their influence in the industry. The best part of the second season is that Nas and Wu Tang both got more screen time than either than Pac or Biggie.

Also, the bit on sampling in the 4th episode reminded me that sampling when done right is boss as shit. I do think that the limited technology forced the guys in the 90s to be more creative with their samples and dig deeper to create something new.

It's a great show and even if you aren't interested in hip hop it's still worth a watch just to see how an art form grows and evolves.

I'm rewatching S1 of Fargo and it's as good as I remember it. Too bad the other two seasons were so lame. S2 was still passable, but S3 was downright awful.

Yeah, it's well above its crappy-as-fuck eighties kiddie show roots. As a child of the eighties, it's my prerogative to say that they all fucking blew, and any qualities they had were purely incidental or subtextual. It's obviously not just a glorified toy commercial this time, but a kids' show that can be enjoyed by adults as well. I'm trying to limit myself to one episode per day, but that won't make the wait much noticeably shorter.

You forgot that She-Ra's tiddies ain't big enough either. That is apparently a major source of contention, despite the whole cast being seemingly de-aged into teenagers.

Catra is the best character so far.

I've started watching She-Ra and the show looks promising. For a remake of a toy commercial, the decisions about the story and the characters make sense.
I hope the later episodes don't suck...

Danger 5

Something I stumpled upon recently by the Italian Spiderman guys. Just finished both seasons and it's some of the funniest and most random shit I've seen in a while, especially the first season with its bonkers 60s spy setting during WWII and high-ranking nazi officials as cliché villains (a trend that continues in S2 which is set in the 80s and just as good actually). The special effects are mostly created through miniatures and action figures and it's great. Damn Australia, you make some damn fine comedy shit (and as always I discover something 5-6 years past its heyday).

Simpsons - Kamp Krusty

*Schools out for summer and kids run out*

History Teacher: Wait a minute, you didn't learn how World War 2 ended!

*Everybody stops*

History Teacher: We won!

*Kids cheer* "USA! USA! USA!

Great episode in general, and of the golden days.
-----------------
On episode 3 of Happy and it's a bloody good time. Reminds me of Blood Drive, but more grounded without people called Clown Dick or cars that run on blood. And has one of the creepiest Santas ever, in more ways than one. Glad I can catch up at my own pace on Netflix.

On episode 3 of Happy and it's a bloody good time. Reminds me of Blood Drive, but more grounded without people called Clown Dick or cars that run on blood. And has one of the creepiest Santas ever, in more ways than one. Glad I can catch up at my own pace on Netflix.
Cause nothing says 'Grounded' like a manic-depressive vigilante, with an imaginary friend who sounds like Patton Oswalt.

F Is For Family season 3

Hate to say it, but this felt like the weakest season yet. They didn't really do anything different. And the rehashing of jokes is starting to border on obnoxious. Same stuff as usual: Kevin is failing school, Bill is a wuss, the girl is...there, fighting, etc etc.

Not impressed.

@randomredneck Thanks for recommending She-Ra.

What Are Those Kids Watching #1: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
Children’s entertainment is an ever-changing landscape. Investigating this entertainment is useful to help understanding what is presented to children today, what should be watched and what should be avoided. My first analysis is She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. She-Ra is a remake of the 1980s toy commercial series, She-Ra the Princess of Power. She-Ra was a companion show and toy line to the massively successful He-Man brand and was intended to be the girl friendly version of He-Man. Translating She-Ra to modern children’s entertainment would be a challenge for anyone. She-Ra is a decent children’s show for both girls and boys.

Story: The planet of Eternia is invaded by the Horde, an evil force led by Hordak. The only resistance is the Resistance led by the queen of Brightwood, Angella, a powerful sorcereress. There are isolated kingdoms led by princesses with magical powers. These princesses once were united against the Horde before they separated mysteriously. A cadet named Adora is poised to be a new leader of the Horde with her best friend Catra before Adora finds a magic sword. Adora becomes She-Ra, the guardian of Eternia tasked with restoring balance to Eternia. Adora becomes a leader of the Resistance with Glimmer, the queen’s daughter, and Bow, Glimmer’s best friend. Adora, Glimmer and Bow must gather the princesses together to defeat the Horde. Catra stays with the Horde in order to gain new power for herself...

The story follows a basic story of good vs. evil, natural magic vs. technology used for evil and balance vs. dominance. There are themes of friendship, learning how to let go of harmful relationships, taking responsibility and working together with people of different backgrounds and powers for common goals.

The story is predictable for children’s animation. My only problem with She-Ra is that the story doesn’t have a strong sense of escalation throughout the season. There is an average introduction, a few episodes that range from enjoyable to boring in the middle and then a mounting conflict in the last third of the season. The compressed time of thirteen episodes means that only a few characters like the main cast of Adora, Glimmer, Bow and Catra have any real development and the rest will have to be developed later. Catra is the most interesting character because she has to learn how to grow in power without her best friend. I hope the second season will have a more balanced story.

Design: She-Ra is a bright show with many exuberant colors and character designs. One of She-Ra’s strengths is that the cast is diverse in color and shape: Adora is a thin European blonde; Glimmer is a plump girl with orange skin and light purple hair; Bow is a muscular black man with a fade haircut. Many of the characters have interesting colors and proportions, from rail thin to plus size. This is a common trend in modern cartoons, with characters becoming more noticeably different in body design than in past animation. Representation of different body types has become ever more important in media, and children’s entertainment has become more experimental with depicting body types. My only complaint about the designs is that several of the characters can look odd in different poses. This happened most frequently with Glimmer, who had some noticeably strange poses in some scenes.

The bright color palette and design is a key part of She-Ra’s queer focus, with Bow as an example. Bow has a bright heart symbol on his armor and is as brightly colored as the rest of the cast. In a few scenes, Bow appears to have a chest binder. Bow is masculine and feminine at the same time, with his design suggesting a trans look. Characters like Netossa and Spinnerella are visibly queer in their relationship. Adora and Catra have a complicated relationship that has some lesbian elements, with a dancing scene that has Adora in a dress and Catra in a suit dancing together.

Target: A core question for any work is the target of the work. She-Ra is clearly aimed at teenage girls, but I can see boys enjoying She-Ra as well. Queer children could enjoy She-Ra. Parents may be bored.

Should children watch She-Ra? I say that She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is a decent children’s show. The story is basic, the characters are distinctive in their designs and personalities (or stereotypes) and the themes of diversity are presented honestly. I would let my children watch She-Ra.

Bob Ross: Beauty is Everywhere on Netfix, I wanted something chill while I waited for a delivery and went for this and it was the most amazing chill enjoyable thing. Bob's soothing voice, perfect niceness, perfect technique in painting and how mesmerizing it is to do wet-on-wet and creating all these gorgeous landscapes that makes you want to get up and paint some awesome landscapes and shit. I had some breakfast but sometimes I would just stop eating and stare at him painting these happy little trees and seeing it all come together. The mountains and fluffing up clouds, it was so serene and tranquil. It was perfection.

10/10

And bringing in the little bird and those adorable squirrels, so Bob, all Ross.

Back