RWBY: The Not Anime Anime Thread

You guys are making me want to watch season 7, but I just know that if I start watching I'm going to get caught in that waiting week to week for each episode cycle and it will drive me even more insane. I just gotta keep my resolve and wait patiently for the season to finish. On the bright side, there is a lot good anime this season and my backlog seems to be growing faster then I can watch it.

V7C2

Slow but good. Really nervous about Ironwood's plan to tell the entire world about Salem but it sounds like we're in for one hell of a climax if he pulls it off. Speaking of Ironwood... what in the hell was he thinking not upgrading Mantle's security system??? I'd think someone as paranoid as him would have made sure to upgrade that, but he's probably way more fixated on his army's than anything. We get some nice character moments with Qrow/Ironwood and Winter/Weiss and the promise of new upgrades which I'm hyped as fuck for! That plus it looks like they're having dorms again making it kind of feel like we could be going back to the school life-ish aspects of the early seasons for a little while, but with the much darker tone this academy has it'll be an interesting comparison to make in future episodes.

V7C2:

Did someone say weapon upgrades?!
f1baGnw.png

Hopefully that will be enough to balance out my lack of enthusiasm for the overall character redesigns...

C'mon guys, you can't keep running Mantle on outdated code, that's literally asking for trouble. It's like that story just a couple years ago where some airport or airline or something had huge troubles because for some insane reason they were still running on Windows 3.2. 3.2! That's almost as old as I am! Anyways... just goes to show, there are lazy tech leads in every world.

So, there's no way in hell this "tell the world" idea is gonna end well... I mean, they even acknowledged that it's going to spark a panic that will attract hordes of Grimm. Atlas is over-confident in their military might, as most military states are in media... and with Watts strolling around hacking the shit out of them, you know damn well Ironwood is walking straight into Salem's plans.

Also, let's not forget they briefly foreshadowed someone who's running to reign Ironwood in, albeit in a rather annoying manner... Let's hope they're quick enough.

V7C2:

Did someone say weapon upgrades?!
f1baGnw.png

Hopefully that will be enough to balance out my lack of enthusiasm for the overall character redesigns...

C'mon guys, you can't keep running Mantle on outdated code, that's literally asking for trouble. It's like that story just a couple years ago where some airport or airline or something had huge troubles because for some insane reason they were still running on Windows 3.2. 3.2! That's almost as old as I am! Anyways... just goes to show, there are lazy tech leads in every world.

So, there's no way in hell this "tell the world" idea is gonna end well... I mean, they even acknowledged that it's going to spark a panic that will attract hordes of Grimm. Atlas is over-confident in their military might, as most military states are in media... and with Watts strolling around hacking the shit out of them, you know damn well Ironwood is walking straight into Salem's plans.

Also, let's not forget they briefly foreshadowed someone who's running to reign Ironwood in, albeit in a rather annoying manner... Let's hope they're quick enough.
To me the redesigns aren't bad, my biggest issue was Jaune's new haircut but it actually looks much better in the opening compared to the image I saw on twitter prior to V7 starting.

Windows 3.2? Isn't that the Chinese version of 3.1? xD

I wonder if anyone's going to manage to stop Ironwood's plan or at least convince him it's a bad idea. I get why Ruby lied to him cause he'd likely freak out or worse which is exactly what no one needs right now but I'm scared as fuck... maybe they'll sabotage his plan last minute.

Speaking of foreshadowing, Penny saying "It's gonna be just like Beacon!" has me nervous. Awww fuck, the theoretical fall of Atlas Academy is gonna be when Qrow dies isn't it? I hope I'm not right.

V7C3 (almost forgot to post xD)

Pretty solid episode again! Fun action, new outfits, upgraded weapons and some really adorable Bumbleby moments! Plus some... interesting scenes where Ruby gives Oscar the lamp and Yang being really nervous (probably the wrong word but I'm sure I'm making sense) about Ruby lying to Ironwood have me more than a bit freaked out. That freaking jumpscare at the end was one hell of a note to end on though. I need the next episode NOWWW

V7C3:
RIP Exposition Rebel. You'll be missed until I forget about you again in 5 minutes. So then, I suppose Tyrian's going around murdering people who might speak out against Ironwood's plans? Making sure he continues to play right into Salem's hand... sneaky sneaky.

Sooo, monk guy's semblance is basically those sticky stretchy hands that are literally always in those little capsule machines... Got it. Speaking of semblances, foreshadowing that Ruby's semblance is more than meets the eye (oh shit does that mean she's gonna be a transformer?!), and Qrow's found the yin to his semblance's yang... errr, maybe that's not the best way to phrase that in this show, but you know what I mean. There could be some really interesting social commentary with the whole good fortune/bad fortune combo... and yet, somehow I just don't trust the guy. There's just something about him that's too... perfect, I guess? We'll see, but I'm calling that something's off.

Some of their weapons do some cool new things (notably haven't seen anything new with Weiss, Nora, or Blake's weapons, but maybe I blinked?), but tbh I'm still not about the new hair. The outfits are generally fine though, granted I do have to wonder why Blake has random zippers on her pant legs now... I guess to give fanartists and cosplayers more of a challenge? *shrug* They're really teasing the bumblebee shippers though with that awkward little interaction and the gold weld in Blake's repaired blade.

First, I just wanted to share the best insight from the previous episode that came out of the status chart:
Marrow is a dog faunus. He has a boomerang so he can play fetch with himself.

I'm fucking dying.

Now, onward!

V7C4:
Did... did Nora just decide her own ship name with another character?

Man, there was some emotion this episode. They finally got their hunter licenses, in the very same place they were when everything went wrong. Given to them, in one sense, by Penny, who "died" in that very spot, during a match with a friend who can never achieve that dream now. And in another sense, by the man who let it all happen right under his nose, unknowingly helping it along with his short-sighted arrogance; and he's about to do it again. And yet, that dream really does feel like a trivial thing after everything they've been through. That cuts deep Miles and Kerry, that cuts deep...

On another note, I was right that these Aesops seemed a little too perfect. Turns out, they don't actually care about each other or really give a shit, it's just a job to them.

Jacques and Watts in the same room? I just felt a disturbance in the Force, the world can't handle that much on-point mustache in one place! Seriously though, I'm kinda not surprised they know each other (maybe from a secret mustache society) or that they would be colluding... granted, I'm sure it's not so much colluding as it is Watts manipulating the fact that Jacques is a greedy corporate politician shitball who would sell his soul for money and power.

A lot of cake this episode... half of it in Nora's stomach. One of these cakes, though, is most definitely a lie.

V7C5:

FUCK YEAH IT'S TIME TO GET FNKY Y'ALL! It's nice to see Flint and Neon again. And I guess their other teammates who were just... kinda there.... But ANYWAYS let's hope they have a role to play other than just teasing us with this brief appearance :o

Alright, now that obviously the most important thing is out of the way, there was actually a lot going on here... Qrow actually gave up drinking and is maybe starting to get a little more positive around Clover???? I still don't like this, he's being too nice to Qrow, he's gotta have an ulterior motive. Calling it now, his real job is to ingratiate himself with Qrow and find out what they're not telling Ironwood. Still though, just the idea of the lucky guy and the unlucky guy playing cards together is funny as hell.

No Nora, it's not the haircut, I can promise you that...

Winter has been chosen as the next Winter Maiden... hmmm, who ever would have expected that? Anyone want to place bets on how that's gonna go horribly wrong? We're past due for a significant death, so I'm going with "murdered before the maiden's eyes." I swear I'm not actually this pessimistic, blame basic narrative structure not me!

Aaaaand Jacques is a fucking tool. Not that this is a revelation to literally anyone, but it bears repeating: Jacques is a fucking tool. And as expected, he's doing fucking exactly what Salem wants. It's about to be V3 all over again and the only reason I'm prepared for this is that V3 already killed the character that would hurt me the most by far, and sadly she wasn't a robot who could just be rebuilt. It's gonna be baaaaad shit, but to that I say...
source.gif

I feel like I'm just hogging this thread to myself at this point...

V7C6:
3iqhnp.jpg

Seriously, Marrow might be the most subtly hilarious character concept yet.

Man, this season especially has been basically doing the equivalent of dangling a thick, juicy steak juuuuust outside Marrow's a dog's reach to the Bumblebee shippers. If it doesn't happen and soon, Mantle citizens won't be the only ones rioting (and I'll just be sitting back with a bucket of popcorn watching the chaos).

Hmmm, I feel like this episode might have been making some sort of political statement... possibly something recent, like, I don't know, in the past 3 years or so? I just can't seem to put my finger on it though... *cough cough*

Of course we knew Jacques was going to win right at the last second and throw everything into chaos (I mean, did you hear how many times during the episode they were like "Robyn has this in the bag, what could possibly go wrong?"), and I promise you a foreign power Watts was behind it. Poor Penny though, she just got fixed after the last time Salem's WTCH gang handed her the shitty end of the stick, and here they go slapping it into her hand with a wet, smelly "plop" once again. The window that is Atlas has been fractured to the point it's only barely staying together, it may fall apart all on its own at any moment, and even the smallest tap will surely see it collapse... and I'm betting Salem's team is currently off to the side doing some practice swings with a sledgehammer...

I feel like I'm just hogging this thread to myself at this point...

V7C6:
3iqhnp.jpg

Seriously, Marrow might be the most subtly hilarious character concept yet.

Man, this season especially has been basically doing the equivalent of dangling a thick, juicy steak juuuuust outside Marrow's a dog's reach to the Bumblebee shippers. If it doesn't happen and soon, Mantle citizens won't be the only ones rioting (and I'll just be sitting back with a bucket of popcorn watching the chaos).

Hmmm, I feel like this episode might have been making some sort of political statement... possibly something recent, like, I don't know, in the past 3 years or so? I just can't seem to put my finger on it though... *cough cough*

Of course we knew Jacques was going to win right at the last second and throw everything into chaos (I mean, did you hear how many times during the episode they were like "Robyn has this in the bag, what could possibly go wrong?"), and I promise you a foreign power Watts was behind it. Poor Penny though, she just got fixed after the last time Salem's WTCH gang handed her the shitty end of the stick, and here they go slapping it into her hand with a wet, smelly "plop" once again. The window that is Atlas has been fractured to the point it's only barely staying together, it may fall apart all on its own at any moment, and even the smallest tap will surely see it collapse... and I'm betting Salem's team is currently off to the side doing some practice swings with a sledgehammer...
I keep forgetting to post xD

V7C6
AW FUCK. Calling it now, rest of the season is going to be Fall of Beacon 2.0... FUCK. My friends were fucking shaking after this too holy shit

Sorry to jump in at this late stage, but...I only just saw this thread was a thing.

We're past due for a significant death, so I'm going with "murdered before the maiden's eyes." I swear I'm not actually this pessimistic, blame basic narrative structure not me!
I'm just saying: Weiss and Winter both start with W. They wouldn't even have to change the team name.

They'd have one less viewer, certainly, if they went this route, but...it's there.

#WeissIsBestGirl

Oh, you mean with candidate HILL? You're right. I'm pretty sure this was a torn-from-the-headlines scenario.

Reference to the announcement of the upcoming production of The Music Man starring Hugh Jackman. That multi-talented rascal.

Of course we knew Jacques was going to win right at the last second and throw everything into chaos (I mean, did you hear how many times during the episode they were like "Robyn has this in the bag, what could possibly go wrong?"), and I promise you a foreign power Watts was behind it.
That would be the most obvious thing, yes. And I'm rolling my eyes at the prospect, just a smidge. Mostly because I think it's lazy. And 2019.

What would be more of a twist, I think, is if Mr. Schnee actually won, and that his being one of the bad guys is just coincidence. (Never count out the power of the "you're kind of fired...unless you vote for me" to sway people. (Plus, that dude we saw at the voting booth wasn't exactly itching to vote for Hill.)) Because then you get the good guys/"good guys" blaming one thing, for awhile, all while not stopping to see the bigger threat that's coming from the other direction. Color me conspiratorial, but I don't think Schnee or Hill winning changes the result of manipulating video to put Penny in Tyrion's place, in that murder spree. (Which is what Mustache Guy was doing.)

Setting up that Penny is a murderer just makes Ironwood look worse than the people of Mantle already think he is. It guarantees a riot. Riots mean lowered defenses as internal stability crumbles. And all that means Atlas is no longer able to keep Cortana Salem at bay.
...and if you wanna go waaaaaay out there: what if Hill wanted Schnee to win so she could start an uprising? What if THAT was what was "in the bag" and the murder spree was the thing that was a coincidence?!

Just some thoughts.

I like this show.

Last edited:
Haven't watched the new episode yet, but I know it's gonna be a good one when I see "rwby7spoilers" or anything similar trending on twitter (had to click off ungodly fast to avoid spoilers), I'M SCARED GUYS

V7E7
Loved it.
Man that was... bleak. They really nailed the atmosphere on this one and I really liked that to really emphasize that there was ZERO comedic moments and absolutely nothing lighthearted about this episode in the slightest. And we got confirmation that Atlas is going to fall if the Staff of Creation gets taken (which it most likely will) so I think we're in for the most depressing season of RWBY ever...

Why isn't it on VRV like normal yet? ,v_v, Finally get me excited about the show again and then torture me like this...

Finally!

v7c7
And we got confirmation that Atlas is going to fall if the Staff of Creation gets taken (which it most likely will)
And they called it the "Fall of Beacon," just wait until they see this...

Man, I'm kinda disappointed with that Penny backstory... I was waiting for "my real daughter Penny died in a tragic accident, but thankfully we managed to save juuuust enough of her brain to make today's Penny." Though to be fair, permanently taking away pieces of someone's aura is pretty scary tech, think if that fell into the wrong hands...

Damn, Robyn went from losing the election to straight up heisting shipments in no time flat... and she already had like, the perfect people handy for the job too... makes ya think... On another note, if only there were more lie-detecting powers in the political world amirite?

Of course Jacques is going to try to get Ironwood booted off the council immediately... what a tool.

I...expected more from this episodes, honestly. I liked it fine, but I did not think the most dramatic thing would be Nora soapboxing fruitlessly at Ironwood.

That said, the best part, for my money, was the conversation between Ironwood and Oscar, because it did the one thing I want literally every creative piece to do: addressed universal themes. Y'know, the big questions, the things that really make you think about who you are and what you believe and all that.

This time around, they essentially each took a side in the "do the ends justify the means?" debate, with this taking the "what cost is worth victory in the face of evil?" flavor. And, of course, they're both right, in their own ways: Ironwood's right that having a line (that you won't cross) is a handicap, especially in the face of an enemy that has literally no humanity; and Oscar's right that a victory at the cost of becoming the thing you're fighting against is almost pointless.

What that scene was missing, though, in my opinion, was a remark from Ironwood (even just to himself) in response to that argument Oscar was making that he'd be the only one to bear that responsibility, that only he'd be the one to sacrifice his humanity to save everyone else. Essentially, I was hoping he'd take on the old tragic hero role, in that argument, presenting a Shane (from the classic western) or a Batman-like understanding that he will become the terrible thing that drives off the evil so that the people he is protecting don't have to tarnish themselves--and then, when he is the last terrible thing left, have to suffer the justice of the very people he saved.

I don't know if that's at all what they're going for, with him, this season...and they can absolutely bring it up--overtly or not--later on, but...I just felt like that was a moment to make his side of the argument specifically flawed (that is, thinking he'd be the only one to suffer a loss of humanity) rather than present it as "philosophically" flawed (because he doesn't sound like a typical "choose the third option!" good guy).

I can't help it: I like a good crucible. And these absolutist scenarios that come from bleak, imminent-annihilation plots are exactly that.

Damn, Robyn went from losing the election to straight up heisting shipments in no time flat... and she already had like, the perfect people handy for the job too... makes ya think...
Indeed--though, I wonder how much of that is meant to be read into and how much is just, y'know, she's Robin Hood and, therefore, is already surrounded by a cadre of thieves.

Though, as you say, the turnaround (not that she wasn't already a princess of thieves, of course) was immediate. Which could be Rooster Teeth either not letting enough time pass for her to believably organize a rebellion or incorrectly thinking Ironwood's "I'm taking away the right to assemble! But just for now!" was enough to convey the "need" for Robyn to jump right to hijackings. Or it's a deliberate play at a character flaw: sure, she wants to stick up for the little guy, but her only plans are "run the government" or "f*** the government!" which...makes her seem like she's a bad person to have in power. Almost like she and Ironwood might be two sides of the same coin...or, well, two coins in the same bag of coins, but that have to be put in the vending machine together to add up to the amount you need for that sweet, sweet cinnamon bun.

And they called it the "Fall of Beacon," just wait until they see this...
Also, this was funny.

...okay, these episodes need to be, like, 40 minutes long. Because we essentially got the start of scenes, but not the end of them.

And I don't mean we got the first bits of subplot strands that will take another episode or two to resolve, I mean we got maybe the first halves of a handful of scenes that I shouldn't have to wait another episode to see wrap up (or, at least, play out).

...which is about as negative as I can be about this episode, 'cus this was quite good. Does my strong affinity for all things Atlas (...maybe not the Mantle stuff, even the Mantle stuff) color my judgment? I mean, does adding yet another hot Schnee gal to the mix color my judgment? Obviously yes--but also this was a surprisingly sharp episode. Not that the writing isn't usually very good, but that the scene with Mr. Schnee and then the scene with Mrs. Schnee...top-notch work.

First, the dinner scene was on-point: obvious trap set by the guy in the room that no one trusts, and he still wins, because Ironwood is smart but not clever. He's too forthright to be devious, but he's too careful not to be secretive--which comes off as deviousness, when it's allowed to be framed by someone as devious as Mr. Schnee. (Who, again, I genuinely believe won the election. It's waaaaay more dramatic, that way.) Ironwood has no answers for anyone because he neither trusts anyone nor can he let trust open the plan to risk: the more people who know about it, the more likely the wrong people know about it. Which means he's made himself the perfect scapegoat: the one everyone already thinks is guilty. That "trust is earned" line was perfect.

Bringing Robyn in is also perfect, because as much as she hates Mr. Schnee and his rich-folk associates, she basically just hates them on principle. She's got an actual beef with Ironwood, and she's only going to get more riled up by him in this meeting. I mean, I don't know why Robyn agreed to go by herself, but...I'm going to chalk that up to budget concerns or something (What? I said my judgment was colored, didn't I?)

And, second, we have Weiss and her mother. Which was a great use of not saying much to say quite a lot. I'm not sure I'm cool with the implication that Mr. Schnee is some kind of absolute monster to his family, because I don't know that the show has done enough to earn that. He's undoubtedly a bad person, but he hasn't struck me as, y'know, wicked. Being devoid of love for your family is abusive, of course, but...drive mom to alcoholism bad? Wiretap all the rooms bad? "You left him here!" bad? I dunno. Being an a**hole doesn't mean you're a monster, is all I'm saying. BUT...strong scene all the same.

I love me some intrigue.

Also: I love Weiss's new look--really, I do. But she did not have enough hair for that braid to be a thing.

V7C9:
Feels like it's been forever since the last episode...

Servant girl: *gives subtle but meaningful and sassy look toward the camera*
Me: OH SHIT IT'S NEO!
Servant girl: *becomes Neo*
Me:
url

Me: Oh... oh that's not good...

Also, fuck you Jacques, getting what you deserve going to jail by your own daughter's hand. I feel sorry for your family, with all the shit you've put them through, and all the shit they're going to continue to go through because of your dumbfuckery. Did you see your son? He looked heartbroken. The little shit's probably gonna become a delinquent now because of you. Dickhead.

*ahem*

And so the truth is revealed... but no time to dwell on that, time to do your best to stop the Fall of Atlas, which would happen to be very literal... and right on top of Mantle... which would be bad... Or more likely than not, it will be bad... narratively, it's about time for a big loss. Personally, I'm expecting Salem's crew to find out about Amity (whether that's through Cinder and Neo or otherwise), let them get the tower up and re-connect the world, and use the declaration of her existence to strike fear across the world by immediately dropping Atlas on top of Mantle, as if to say "yes it is I, I have destroyed two of your pathetic schools, and the rest of you will follow soon enough," then drop Amity on a city or something for good measure, yanking away the hope of communication once more. Now wouldn't that be a deliciously bleak way to end the season?

Also, something I just learned by accident that's more V6 spoilers:
So, I was looking for a picture of Neo to make a meme that I ended up deciding was too much effort... and I found something else interesting instead. So, remember in V6 when they found that farm with all the dead people and the Grimm that attacked their emotions? Well, apparently some fans spotted this picture:
https://i.postimg.cc/3x1y5Nhg/Nota-RWBY-v06e05-Review-02.jpg
It just so happens that that was the very same episode when Neo made her return, and when you think about that... those two kids start looking an awful lot like a young Torchwick and Neo. Also, the farm was called "Brunswick Farm," Brunswick being the location of a Brothers Grimm tale about the headless horseman... who is at times depicted with a jack-o-lantern in place of a head. And who has a jack-o-lantern as their symbol? None other than Torchwick of course. A lot of little details there that would add a lot of much-needed backstory to their characters, not to mention make them a surprising parallel to Ren and Nora's backstory...

I just had to share that when I saw it.

Back