Anime titles wich rewatching value

AndriasSch

This is a discussion that came up with a friend after noticing Crunchyroll was adding a huge amount of oldies like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Utena, RuroKen, Gundam, etc, titles we have watched several times and are currently watching again.

From the ones broadcasted this past 10 years, the only ones I've rewatched are:
Your name (+10 times), Baja no Studio (6 times), Re:Eva 3.0+1.0 (3 times), MSG: The Origin (2 times), Land of the Lustrous (2 times), Re:Zero (2 times), Madoka Magica movies 1 and 2 (3 times), and some One Piece specials/movies (2-3 times).

In general, we thought this was because, whenever we really enjoy one of the new shows from the past 5-10 years, instead of rewatching we went straight to read the manga and/or the LN (like with My Dress-up Darling), but we were wondering how was it like for the anime-only folks, or if other binge-readers were also not rewatching many of the most recent shows.

So, what are the shows you have watched several times and are still willing to rewatch? From what decades are they, is it because you watched them early on in your life and you are attached to them, or because they were a high-quality entertaining title? I really want to know!

tumblr_mpomztDkX41qbvovho1_500.gifv

Last edited:
Life is tough and a lot of work, so in general I like to smile when I'm entertained. Anime's I watch a lot tend to be lighted hearted comedies. In the old days before anime I had a lot of Disney Titles I would watch to lighten my mood.

Currently
Miss Kobashi's Dragon maid particularly Japanese Hospitality the attendant is a dragon(5 plus times)
Bofuri, I didn't want to get hurt so I maxed out my defense (5 plus times)
Restaurant to another world(5 plus times)
Campaione! This one I like the main Harem girl and I like the greek references(5 times)
My Next Life as a villainess all routes lead to doom(5 times)
Probably soon to be My dress up darling.(3 times)

I rewatch the ones that I probably binge watched or had fun with, I don’t usually rewatch stuff because I still have a ton of shows that I want to watch

So far
Yamada Kun and the seven witches (3 times)
Link Click (2 times)
Spy x family (2 times)

Life is tough and a lot of work, so in general I like to smile when I'm entertained. Anime's I watch a lot tend to be lighted hearted comedies. In the old days before anime I had a lot of Disney Titles I would watch to lighten my mood.

Currently
Miss Kobashi's Dragon maid particularly Japanese Hospitality the attendant is a dragon(5 plus times)
Bofuri, I didn't want to get hurt so I maxed out my defense (5 plus times)
Restaurant to another world(5 plus times)
Campaione! This one I like the main Harem girl and I like the greek references(5 times)
My Next Life as a villainess all routes lead to doom(5 times)
Probably soon to be My dress up darling.(3 times)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is one of the shows I was planning to watch again, but then the second season happened.
My Next Life as a Villainess, did you watch the second season, or are you rewatching the first one? I was wondering which of the two is more entertaining.
My Dress-Up Darling is one I would definitely watch again in the future if there isn't a movie or second season.

There's a pattern of short, colorful, fun, open-minded characters and very wholesome series in here, hahaha.

I rewatch the ones that I probably binge watched or had fun with, I don’t usually rewatch stuff because I still have a ton of shows that I want to watch

So far
Yamada Kun and the seven witches (3 times)
Link Click (2 times)
Spy x family (2 times)

Ummm, here I see handsome guys, people getting smacked, and "trying to kiss while embarrassed" scenes. Many of those left an impression, makes me want to watch Kiss Him Not Me or Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun again.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is one of the shows I was planning to watch again, but then the second season happened.
My Next Life as a Villainess, did you watch the second season, or are you rewatching the first one? I was wondering which of the two is more entertaining.
My Dress-Up Darling is one I would definitely watch again in the future if there isn't a movie or second season.

There's a pattern of short, colorful, fun, open-minded characters and very wholesome series in here, hahaha.

Ummm, here I see handsome guys, people getting smacked, and "trying to kiss while embarrassed" scenes. Many of those left an impression, makes me want to watch Kiss Him Not Me or Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun again.

Yeah I could agree but I rewatched it because I was into the body swap genre, I had shitty taste back then lol

I rewatch both series of My Next life as a Villainess. The first is probably more fun because it was new but the second series is still fun.

This is actually tough as I'm a fierce critic these days, and I only really collect hard copies of Anime series that I will re watch (rule of thumb). The older I get the harder it is to impress me, and thus I set the bar VERY HIGH for newer Anime series when compared to the classics of the 80's, 90's, and even early 2000's. There are many I could recommend but I'll stick to the handful that, I feel, you MUST re-watch. Thus don't hate my more antiquated selections compared to what some have already posted.............

Akira -
You cannot call yourself a respectable Anime fan and not have watched 'Akira' at least twice. Easily one of the best movies of the late 80's and a hallmark of that era of Japanese animation. If nothing else a good re watch for us older Anime fans to remind us of a time when Sci-Fi dominated the Anime landscape.

Windaria - A guilty pleasure of mine 'Windaria' is a ambitious standalone which see's a young farmer becomes an Agent in a pointless war between two nations which results in tragedy. Probably one of the better films from the 80's era

GUNDAM - The original GUNDAM is a classic that I'd recommend all Mecha fans must re-watch. If you cannot stomach the OG then GUNDAM: ORIGINS is doing a good job at retelling the original as a updated OVA.

Robotech - Before there was Macross, before there was Legends of the Galactic Heroes, before the likes of Captain Harlock and Space Dandy, before even Amuro Ray stepped into the RX-78 GUNDAM there was Robotech! The Mecha that started it all (I admit I had to fight whether to recommend 'Astro Boy' over this but Robotech is where all modern 'Mecha' (not to be confused with the 'Super Robot' genre) originate from). It would be criminal if I did not recommend this 1985 classic to any Sci-Fi fan to re watch.

Studio Ghibli Movies - Need we say more? Does one need an excuse to re-watch the classics of Hayao Miyazaki that defined the childhood of many of us? I'd specifically recommend 'Nausicaa Valley of the Wind' and 'Castle in the Sky' for any Millennial's/GEN X'ers who have kids as these are timeless classics.

Yu Yu Hakusho - With all the hype over the Shaman King OVA, return of Bleach's new arc, and the ever-persistence continuation of 'One Piece' I feel like we often forget the classic Shonen's that got the genre off the ground in the 90's. One that has been sorely left out for some time is Yu Yu Hakusho. This series made fighting tournaments a thing (after copying from 'Fist of the North Star') and still holds it ground on many Top Anime/Top 10/Top 20 lists. Definitely recommend re-watching is nothing else than for the nostalgia

CODE GEASS - Arguably one of the best Anime's ever made, and easily one of the top Anime's of the 2000's, it has high re-watch value. If you can find it watch the OG; not the 3-part movie remake. Also add 'Akito of the Exile' as it's good filler between each season.

Bleach - Despite the rise of One Piece and Gintama, BLEACH will forever hold a place in Shonen history as one of the OG's. Definitely recommend a re watch ever decade or so; especially in light of the recently announced 'Thousand Year War' arc. It defined the writing style, tropes, and animation-style for a generation in the mid-2000's.

Code Geass- That ending makes the show infinitely rewatchable

Baccano: Cause it's fun

Fate Zero: Cause I am an edgelord

Steins Gate

One Piece: It's long AF but Oda sprinkles foreshadowing and hints throughout the anime/manga along with retrospectively fixing his prev mistakes so rewatching one piece is always a new experience.

Bleach for the same reason as the previous.

The things I've rewatched the most are usually short one or two season shows I can finish in a day. I generally watch things with epic complex stories, great action, or lots of fanservice the most. It's also usually something I own which I can pick off one of my shelves.

I generally avoid rewatching long series, or heavy depressing shows (even if I had a positive opinion about it overall).

Robotech - Before there was Macross, before there was Legends of the Galactic Heroes, before the likes of Captain Harlock and Space Dandy, before even Amuro Ray stepped into the RX-78 GUNDAM there was Robotech! The Mecha that started it all (I admit I had to fight whether to recommend 'Astro Boy' over this but Robotech is where all modern 'Mecha' (not to be confused with the 'Super Robot' genre) originate from). It would be criminal if I did not recommend this 1985 classic to any Sci-Fi fan to re watch.

Wha....?

I think you mean before there was Robotech, there was Macross. Robotech wouldn't exist without Macross...and Mospeada and Southern Cross. Also, Harlock and the original Gundam predate Robotech/Macross, dude.

Anyhoo, here's a couple of anime that I think are plenty rewatchable:

Asobi Asobase - CGDCT on crack. Rewatched it two times with friends and the absurd humor still hits.

Full Metal Panic? Fomoffu - The first season of FMP is somewhat a required watch to get some context for the characters but this comedic off-shoot of FMP is just so Goddamn funny I keep going back to it time to time.

Flying Witch - I could pick Yuru Camp for my most rewatchable iyashikei but decided to pick this because it's somewhat lesser known. Very wholesome and oh so full of charm.

Senki Zessho Symphogear - The first season is kinda eh but the rest is crazy balls-to-the-walls action and pure unbridled hype. Never gets old no matter how many times I come back.

Getter Robo Armageddon - This was my entry to the Getter Robo franchise and the best Getter OVA. Very friendly to newbies who want to get into the series and just plain good super robot fun.

Seitokai Yakuindomo - I rewatched this again last year. Fast-paced brain bleaching dirty humor. Stupid fun show but plenty of rewatch value.

Back