All Out!!

Optimistic on this. Character designs are very questionable, but Madhouse and TMS are both known for making good sports series, so we'll see. PV looks nice at least.

Episode 1:

It was a very standard opening episode for a sports series and it reminds me a lot of Days. It's got about the same mix of cheese and comedy. It's also got the same low budget approach to animation.

I'm a bit disappointed by the weak animation. The episode was littered with tons of still frames and there was almost no animation during the rugby scenes. The only scene where I could kind of feel the power of the sport was the final one when Gion goaded the cowardly giant into tackling him.

There was lot of humor this episode and while it wasn't laugh out loud funny, it still did make me smile a bit. I do think that Gion could get annoying pretty quickly with his Napoleon complex. The mains didn't grow on me as fast as they did in Days, but the secondary cast here seems like they could be a lot of fun.

The episode at least got the tragic backstory stuff out of the way quickly so now we can move on to everyone joining the team and actually getting into the sport. I don't know much about rugby so I'll be interested to learn more.

Overall, it was an okay if not particularly impressive start. There's definitely some potential for an exciting sports anime here though so I still coming out of the episode feeling positive about it. I'd probably feel even more positive if Yuri on Ice hadn't raised the bar so damn high yesterday.

With all these beefy dudes running around I'm really hoping to get some super manly shit going down.

Episode 1:

Pretty standard. Gion is like every other sports MC out there, hot headed and stupid. But the formula works so it's bearable. I know a lot of the team is the same as those who did Ace of Diamond, and you can see that by the intense still frames over actual animation. They certainly succeeded in showing that intensity off which is a good sign. I can't see this turning out terrible at least.

01:

I found Gion kind of obnoxious already to be honest. Then again, these hot headed shounen type MCs I'm usually less than enamoured with, so it might take some time here for him to grow on me, but I'm a little turned off at the moment. Also, agreed with ZK about the weak animation, I really hope they were just saving budget for this episode and actually show some good rugby action, because that'd be a bit disappointing knowing what Madhouse is capable of. Anyway, the episode was just alright.

The best thing about the episode was this guy's weird hair.

t1PDnVo.jpg

The hell is even supposed to be going on there? He's the most manly guy introduced so far and I can't see waking up every day to style it like that.

^^need to see more of cool hair guys ass... because i only got to see one butt in this and it was in the OP ;___;

Episode 2
Sekizan is no longer the only one with weird hair. There's a freshman with antennae and an existing player with devil horns.

Strange way to practice, but would definitely teach him to keep his back level while in a tackling position...
Again, a lot of the animation is wasted on still shots. And with most it on Gion doing turtles, we barely saw practice.

02:

I thought this episode was just okay again, but the weak animation seriously kind of bugs me. At the very least this episode showed Gion can put his money where his mouth his albeit it was a bit typical for me. His blonde mate, leaves about next to no impression on me though and I just find him pretty boring. I hope he goes beyond just making wimpy and depressed remarks here and there.

It's not exactly bad material, but I just couldn't stop thinking about Yuri on Ice while watching it because that was so much better.

Episode 2:

Totally forgot to post about the episode yesterday, which probably already tells you what I thought of the episode. The episode was dull as dishwater with its bog standard execution. Anyone familiar with sports anime has seen many episodes like this before. It's not that it was a bad episode, there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, but if it had been bad it probably would have been more memorable than this. The episode does nothing to distinguish itself from all the other episodes just like it. There's not even enough rugby in it to make it memorable for being a different sport. It's an episode where the loud mouth protagonist gets to show his guts.

If I had to describe these first two episodes I'd say they're workman like.They hit all the notes they need to, but don't do anything beyond that. Even Days, which is also pretty workman like in execution has more memorable comedy and characters.

^Yeah, it's playing all the standard shounen sport's cliches a little too close to a capital T for me. I think I like the protagonist of Days a lot more, and at least it's really fun in a super feel good cheeseball kind of way for me, even if it doesn't have balls to the wall awesome soccer animation or anything.

04:

Man, do I find this show dull to watch so far and completely lacking in any character, it's still pretty generic. The least you could do is make the rugby action look good, but no, it's pretty fucking pathetic how obviously budget this is, with all these still frames, close-ups and lazy speed lines. I'm really beyond disappointed in Madhouse now, I can't really put this lightly no matter how hard I try.

Last edited:
All Out more like Dull Out. This show doesn't do anything to stand out. Other than the animation its not bad, but man it's so by the numbers its painful. Even the humor is completely predictable.

Back