Unpopular Anime Opinions

Unpopular opinion of the moment: I am not enamored with Kana Hanazawa's roles and I basically can't pick them out (nor can I pick out her voice).

Though I guess this goes in the general category of "unpopular opinions on popular celebs", such as me not being enamored with Gen Urobuchi.

Speaking of hockey, I know Noda, the author of Golden Kamuy interestingly actually did a hockey manga called Supinamarada! Even if it's a bit short, been meaning to check that out randomly.

tenor.gif

One of the characters is the definition of "thunder thighs", I can tell you that much.

tumblr_pfvmd3MbA51vvwubg_540.gif

I assume this is an unpopular opinion, but I find the character designs for Demon Slayer incredibly ugly. It's hard to pinpoint what puts me off most about them- they come off as short, blocky, spikey and generally lacking any sort of grace. The proportions feel really off in a bad way- and anime isn't really known for accuracy in that department. I don't think I've found a show in recent memory that had more unappealing character designs.

I assume this is an unpopular opinion, but I find the character designs for Demon Slayer incredibly ugly. It's hard to pinpoint what puts me off most about them- they come off as short, blocky, spikey and generally lacking any sort of grace. The proportions feel really off in a bad way- and anime isn't really known for accuracy in that department. I don't think I've found a show in recent memory that had more unappealing character designs.
Completely agreed. But if you're talking about the anime... yeah. The manga however, is way, WAY worse. They did all they could to pretty up the character designs for the anime but it wasn't enough.
Spoilers for content like, midway through season 1 i guess
012.jpg

015.jpg
like goddamn

Completely agreed. But if you're talking about the anime... yeah. The manga however, is way, WAY worse. They did all they could to pretty up the character designs for the anime but it wasn't enough.
Spoilers for content like, midway through season 1 i guess
012.jpg

015.jpg
like goddamn

They're actually kind of cute in an ugly way, lol. I don't want to make fun of someone's artwork, but it's definitely not my thing. I also find the art of Dragonball and One Piece incredibly ugly, but plenty of people seem to enjoy all of these series just fine, so it's obviously just my perspective on it. In general, cartoon characters are often deformed in various ways, so I guess it's kinda surprising we've come to expect beauty from most anime/manga. I think for a lot of people, the story is what pulls them in, but for me, the art is the most important thing, otherwise, I'd just read a book with no pictures.

UAO:

After being fully immersed in Legend of the Galactic Heroes - watched the OVA, watched the Gaiden prequel OVA's, watched and rewatched the remakes -

It has ruined absolutely zero other anime for me.

I love it, it's in my top 10 for sure, but everyone always says "if you watch it it will ruin other anime for you" but... no? No it absolutely does not? And I don't even know where that elitist mentality comes from, because like, a lot of characters in it are exemplary embodiments of humility and subtlety, you'd think a fandom that worships an anime like this wouldn't go around making such bold statements.

I guess I've mentioned this before, but even after thinking about it and discussing it with other people a lot and even getting into the fandom a bit... I don't get it. I don't see how it ruins other anime, or is even above most other anime.

What it set out to do is just so incredibly different than the goal of most other media, anime or not, and it radically succeeded at conveying what it wanted to, but like... I dunno. My feelings on other anime have not changed at all and I in fact feel like I enjoy anime now more than I have in a while.

UA: the manga version of Demon Slayer and Haikyuu is way better than the anime

Last edited:
Not sure how popular the opposing opinion is but, after finishing Season 5 of My Hero Academia, I can definitively say that I still think Tomura Shigaraki is an incredibly dull and uncompelling villain. His goals are almost Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of basic and he neither has the personality nor charisma to elevate that. I'd honestly go so far as to say it's a shame that more interesting villains are cast aside solely just to give him a power boost.

Not sure how popular the opposing opinion is but, after finishing Season 5 of My Hero Academia, I can definitively say that I still think Tomura Shigaraki is an incredibly dull and uncompelling villain. His goals are almost Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of basic and he neither has the personality nor charisma to elevate that. I'd honestly go so far as to say it's a shame that more interesting villains are cast aside solely just to give him a power boost.
In my opinion, My Hero Academia has been ass for the better part of 2 and a half seasons, and even I think Shigaraki was by far the best part of the last season and a super great villain, mostly because he redefines the entire trope in an interesting way.

Yes, his goals are basic, to destroy shit, cause chaos, and generally be uncool and make sure life isn't easy for innocent people. But the way they get to that motivation is what makes him interesting, and the fact that in the series definition of a villain, he's actually a perfect one, with the best development and progression of his own. If deku is on track to become the ideal hero then he's on track to become the ideal villain. A hero is selfless, protective, and just acts without thinking in the best interest of someone else. A villain is antithetical to that, acting only in their own interest, selfish, and destructive.

The series uses those definitions to say that certain characters, deku, all might, ect are meant to be the true heroes, not these other people that just pose as heroes and commercialize it and... you know... run a fucking school for it, and similarly, these "villains" in the show that aren't shigaraki, that just act for some kind of subtle motivation that isn't evil in itself but they serve the role of the antagonist... they aren't REAL villains. Shigaraki, all for one, are those real villains.

See a real villain doesn't have super elaborate complex goals that ultimately are well-intentioned but have an opposing party that gets damaged, that's just an anti-hero, or someone "misunderstood." The moment where you can say, this character isn't misunderstood, they aren't nuanced, they aren't grey, they are just evil, the embodiment of evil, even though you can SEE how they got to that point in their life and it makes sense... it's still not just. But that's the whole point.

The series makes the point that true villainy is unjustifiable and will destroy comparatively weak "ends justify the means" characters by having the series main evil
trump this "Evil" buff doofenshmirtz character who isn't ACTUALLY evil in season 5.

In that regard, shigaraki is an amazing villain and that's really why people like him. For the type of show that MHA is, he's the PERFECT main antagonist. Maybe in a different kind of show with a different message, like that maybe villains are justifiable and whatever, he wouldn't be a good villain. But for the message MHA is trying to get across, he's perfect.

I would rather say if i were to have an unpopular opinion on this show, that deku isn't actually the perfect hero the series says he is. He participates in the self righteous culture heroes have just as much as anybody and never EVER puts his own feelings aside for the greater good, and the fact that he as the protagonist remains in the school and still hasn't progressed much from where he started runs antithetical to what the show was trying to say about heroes all along.

In my opinion, My Hero Academia has been ass for the better part of 2 and a half seasons, and even I think Shigaraki was by far the best part of the last season and a super great villain, mostly because he redefines the entire trope in an interesting way.

Yes, his goals are basic, to destroy shit, cause chaos, and generally be uncool and make sure life isn't easy for innocent people. But the way they get to that motivation is what makes him interesting, and the fact that in the series definition of a villain, he's actually a perfect one, with the best development and progression of his own. If deku is on track to become the ideal hero then he's on track to become the ideal villain. A hero is selfless, protective, and just acts without thinking in the best interest of someone else. A villain is antithetical to that, acting only in their own interest, selfish, and destructive.

The series uses those definitions to say that certain characters, deku, all might, ect are meant to be the true heroes, not these other people that just pose as heroes and commercialize it and... you know... run a fucking school for it, and similarly, these "villains" in the show that aren't shigaraki, that just act for some kind of subtle motivation that isn't evil in itself but they serve the role of the antagonist... they aren't REAL villains. Shigaraki, all for one, are those real villains.

See a real villain doesn't have super elaborate complex goals that ultimately are well-intentioned but have an opposing party that gets damaged, that's just an anti-hero, or someone "misunderstood." The moment where you can say, this character isn't misunderstood, they aren't nuanced, they aren't grey, they are just evil, the embodiment of evil, even though you can SEE how they got to that point in their life and it makes sense... it's still not just. But that's the whole point.

The series makes the point that true villainy is unjustifiable and will destroy comparatively weak "ends justify the means" characters by having the series main evil
trump this "Evil" buff doofenshmirtz character who isn't ACTUALLY evil in season 5.

In that regard, shigaraki is an amazing villain and that's really why people like him. For the type of show that MHA is, he's the PERFECT main antagonist. Maybe in a different kind of show with a different message, like that maybe villains are justifiable and whatever, he wouldn't be a good villain. But for the message MHA is trying to get across, he's perfect.

Alright, I understand all that and it is an interesting dynamic but my issue is that Shigaraki doesn't have much of a personality, he's not fun, he's not scary, he's not terribly intimidating, and he's not even a "love to hate" type he's just kinda edgy and miserable. Hell, All for One has more presence than him and he probably has way less screen time than most of the other villains.

I would rather say if i were to have an unpopular opinion on this show, that deku isn't actually the perfect hero the series says he is. He participates in the self righteous culture heroes have just as much as anybody and never EVER puts his own feelings aside for the greater good, and the fact that he as the protagonist remains in the school and still hasn't progressed much from where he started runs antithetical to what the show was trying to say about heroes all along.

I may or may not be reading into this too much but I think that's kinda the point, Deku still idealizes heroes and is striving towards that ideal, but the show demonstrates time and again that the heroes aren't exactly the pinnacles of truth and justice Deku likes to think they are and may be hinting that Deku is gonna have to come to terms with that one way or another. Although I'm pretty sure the "stuck in school" aspect is to keep the title relevant and because it's starting to lean in more on the shonen tropes.

Everyone oughta be watching Waccha PriMagi. I mean, there are shows this season that look terrible (like Fruit of Evolution) and I wish people would drop those bad ones in favor of PriMagi.

Back