Unpopular Anime Opinions

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by ZetsubouKaiji, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jul 2, 2021
    Probably half the reason I'm really looking forward to the Uzumaki adaptation. The rotoscoping looks basically perfect to me in that, and it really adds to the uncanny creepy effect they're going for with a Junji Itou work.

2. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

I can't help but feel that having The Flowers of Evil be the introduction to the idea of rotoscoping in anime really poisoned that well.

3. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

It's kind of crazy to think about the controversy years ago for me, because if they had just simply done a better job of tracing with the character designs I really honestly doubt there would have nearly been as many people shitting on it even with the choppy animation:

[​IMG]

Not very difficult here.

Nicknames, Claptrap, Thrawn and 4 others like this.
  4. Vega

Vega Well-Known Member

Posted by Vega on Jul 2, 2021
    At least the anime was still really good story-wise and I remember the rotoscoping getting better as it progressed, but looking back I do wish it was closer to the manga artwork.

I also remember the soundtrack being really great too.

5. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

They were tracing live-action actors, and not the original character designs. I think it was probably just a bad idea to start with.

Nicknames, ShoumaTaka, Gens and 2 others like this.
  6. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

Indeed they should have; it's not like the rotoscoping in End of Evangelion or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya raised a lot of ire (but those probably had WAAAAY higher a budget to begin with).

7. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

At least the rotoscoped dog was pretty awesome:

[​IMG]

Most majestic rotoscoped dog in anime, you can't change my mind about that.

8. FoodLife

FoodLife Database Moderator

Horimiya is not that good
    and it will never be good

plus hori's a bitch

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  9. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Whoever got to animate that dog should have gotten all the accolades.

Nicknames, Starletka, Gens and 2 others like this.
  10. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

Tbh, its the fact that bad rotoscoping stands out too versus more subtle stuff. Kind of like how a lot of the negative associations with CGI are when its bad, its REALLY bad. Even though there's a lot of subtle CGI

Like, probably tons of people had watched shows with rotoscoping before Flowers of Evil, but because it does a bad job, and is really obvious unlike other examples, it becomes 'the bad rotoscoping anime' = rotoscoping is like this = rotoscoping is bad.

11. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

I feel like this is a dig at Hand Shitters, which I wholly agree with.

12. arnexks

arnexks New Member

Death Note.

-Spoilers ahead-

Death Note is not that good, but everyone saw it while they were young and think it was amazing. Watching it now would make most of us cringe out of the corniness and edginess. It tends to imitate depth and we all know that the ending is super wack. Neer is stupid and so is the way they achieve the defeat of Light. L and Light are the main reason people watched the anime and when L gets killed, the show ceases to bring anything to the table. Nostalgia is the only thing keeping this anime at the height that it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2021
  13. arnexks

arnexks New Member

All people which I know, despise SAO 2nd season. First one was cool and new, but every season went downhill after the 1st one. I think that the gun spinoff is suprisingly not bad though.

14. Cherstal

Cherstal Well-Known Member

UAO:

The best season of Kuroko no Basket is season 3, basketball sharingan and all.
    Between
    A) The Teiko backstory mini arc finally delivering on the hints spread throughout the show about the GoM's falling out
    B) The fun yet competitive revenge match against Kise, that also developed his and Kuroko's relationship in an unexpected but cool way
    C) The catharsis of Aomine finally realizing what was missing from his basketball, what he'd let go in his arrogance, and tearing up on the sidelines
    D) The crazy intense final match against Rakuzan (shoutout to Rakuzan for being the only opponent whose entire team is distinct characters). Plus that final winning move? When Akashi goes to block Kuroko but Kuroko reminds him that he's just the shadow and passes the ball to Kagami to secure the winning points instead of taking the shot himself? The show could've wimped out on its themes a little and had Kuroko take the final shot for the protag hype points, but it didn't and it was great (and arguably even more hype).

In terms of payoff, excitement, and emotional climax, season 3 just doesn't miss

I haven't even rewatched KnB in at least 2-3 years, but I can still remember all these moments from season 3 so vividly even now

15. Saeryen

Saeryen Well-Known Member

I can't believe this is an unpopular opinion! I thought S3 was the best too.

Cherstal and Rascal like this.
  16. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

I don't know if it's unpopular outside of this website, but I definitely didn't like S3 as much as S2

Cherstal likes this.
  17. Cherstal

I've seen "S3 is where it goes downhill" be the popular opinion in other places as well. Although surprisingly enough, these days just the act of watching and enjoying KnB as a sports anime is a bit of an unpopular opinion on reddit/youtube (or at least a contested one). 3/4 times I've heard KnB get brought up in the past couple years outside of AP, it's usually a Haikyuu fan saying how much more they preferred Haikyuu over it. And if you bring KnB up yourself, there's almost always at least a few "but it's not realistic, sports anime are better when they're grounded and realistic like Haikyuu--" comments that roll in like clockwork. (Nothing against Haikyuu but can you tell that I'm salty--).

18. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Even after going over Haikyuu again and appreciating it more the second time, I still greatly prefer Kuroko no Basket because when it comes down to it, it's a fun, wacky, intense show and that's all it needs to be. Haikyuu goes too hard on the realism when it really shouldn't have. It really isn't a realistic show when you start looking at the individual elements, it just pretends to be. Nothing is realistic about how the characters act or how obsessive they all are.

Granted, kuroko also needed to have its own rules and actually follow them. Which for me is one of the areas in which Season 3 falls flat.
    I can buy "the zone" even with how ridiculous it gets. I can buy copying people's moves. I can even buy kuroko's "invisibility" at least a little bit. But I'll never buy akashi's eye thing. Like, he has geass or something? Escalation is ok, but i'm not a fan of hard left turns into wtf-ville after we've been on an uphill drive in crazy bizarre town for 2 and a half seasons.

19. Cherstal

Yeah honestly, if we're talking about Actual Realismâ„¢ in sports anime, you should be watching something like Ookiku Furikabutte, or Mix, or even Megalo Box for realism with a twist. Heck, you could probably throw Yuri on Ice into there as well

The man's got good eyes, what can I say? xD

Nah but for real, that's fair. I think it really is a personal test of how much you're willing to let slide for the sake of rule of cool and still buy into the emotional stakes. And there definitely is a limit (let's not talk about the Last Game movie where they somehow made Akashi's Emperor Eye even more OP, that shit was wild). For me I just rolled with it like, yeah sure, he's got good vision and can use that to track the movement of the player in front of him and figure out when to move so that it'll throw off the other guy's timing and make em fall over. Why not.

It probably didn't help that they went all-in on the dramatic presentation though. I thought it looked incredibly cool and it personally worked wonders for me, but between the animation and the intimidating music they'd always blast, it does admittedly come across like a scene straight out of Code Geass.

I happen to like that stuff, and my investment in the character/story development in S3 was enough to just ride with it 'cause man there was so much great stuff in that season, but I get that it won't be like that for everyone

howtoprocrastinate and Rascal like this.
  20. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

The excitement of it is still definitely there and more exciting than ever in season three as is the character development so I completely get that point of view. But for me it just can't hope to top the end of season two, where actual thematic depth is brought to the table with murafakisasdfkjballa-kun or whatever the fuck his name is. Get rid of a few of those extra consonants pal.
    He doesn't just provide a wall for the whole team to hit skill-wise or a symbol for just one character's progression, he poses a much more existential threat. He questions the merits of basketball as a sport, and overcoming him really felt like pushing past a spirit-killing monster and really shed a light on the reason why the game matters to all these characters. It hit hard. And it made the game and the payoff that much more satisfying, because it brought new meaning to what the show is all about.

Compared to that, akashi coming along in season 3 just feels like some wanker who has as many personalities as he has eyeballs. The only character he feels significant to imo is kuroko, rather than the whole cast. It doesn't really change anything about the show, and it doesn't carry the same weight for me. Sure it's more intense in tone than season two, but there's no reason for it to be more intense.
    I guess you could say my reasoning for not liking season three as much as season two boils down to the fact that season two set the bar too high for me. That's more the reason than Akashi's eye.