Unpopular Anime Opinions

Discussion in 'General Anime Discussion' started by ZetsubouKaiji, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Is this really an unpopular opinion? I haven't seen anyone but trash that show hard lol

MilissaSexclub and ShoumaTaka like this.
  2. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Haha, I liked it quite a bit, but I get the feeling that was not the popular opinion of it.

3. ShoumaTaka

ShoumaTaka Well-Known Member

a couple of my uni friends love it ! , everytime we watch Netflix with the crew they’re always suggesting us to rewatch 7 seeds I wouldn’t touch that series with a stick lol

MilissaSexclub and Gens like this.
  4. Akishima

Akishima Well-Known Member

Unpopular Opinion: Tokyo Godfathers is just ok. I didn't care for it for a number of reasons, starting with the ugly character designs (intentional, I know, but I still dislike them) and the ridiculous abandoned baby plot in general. I'm probably the grinch, so any sappy xmas sob story makes me groan on principle, but that aside, the entire plot had me rolling my eyes at the absurd coincidences and plot contrivances. It's kind of funny that the most positive Satoshi Kon film is my least favorite, but that's how it is. He did his best work when exploring the frailty of the human psyche and the blurring of the line between reality and illusion, rationality and insanity.

5. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Sep 1, 2020
    I still like Tokyo Godfathers as his only grounded movie basically, but I have to admit, it's not in my top favourite movies for him and his surrealist work is what I end up re-watching the most.

6. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

UAO

I don't dislike mecha shows, but I greatly prefer mechs in things when they're... unprecedented.

It's difficult to explain, but I feel like mechas are a bit cheapened when they're part of the premise rather then when in a normal sci-fi show, one just shows up and you can be enthralled by unexpected cool piloted robot awesomeness. They're cooler when it's a surprise that they're even there, if that makes sense.

7. GlennMagusHarvey

GlennMagusHarvey Well-Known Member

Yeah I know what you mean.

This pretty much applies to all spoiler-based tropes. For example, imagine being a fan of, say, the trope where the story "ends" halfway through only for a second, underlying plot to take over.

MilissaSexclub and Rascal like this.
  8. ReviewBonfire

ReviewBonfire New Member

No game, no life.

So many say so many positive things about him.
    I saw him a few years ago and finally dropped after episode 8, I couldn't anymore.

The characters killed with their uncomfortable and annoying manner. They weren't cute or lovable, just perverted to the bone and not a bit likeable.
    The HUmor was boring, not even the Jojo references were good.

Worst of all, the fan service was excessive. In episode 1, you can see a detailed section of Shiro's genitals in her underwear. I mean what ?!

After this anime I haven't seen an anime for several months, took a break of about 4 months.

9. illuminatibg

illuminatibg Member

What so great about "Death Note"?

The reasoning L made about the killer was from Japan was so far stretched almost illogical. It was not smart deduction, the only reason to accept it as a viewer, is because you are aware of both L and Light situation. If you ignore anything you know about Light, L does not have any definite proof the perpetrator is from Japan.

When I use alias, it would be very difficult to find my real name. When a former FBI agent uses alias, it would be almost impossible to find her actual name. Especially, at the day you met her. Episode 7 did it... At this point all logic is thrown out of the window, Light will always get a name, when the plot requires him to eliminate an enemy, so any action is pointless. He will kill anyone the plot requires to kill, and will be caught when the plot requires to be caught.

I dropped it at episode 7. Each show has certain focus that makes it enjoyable. Comedy has gags/jokes. Moe shows has cute girls. Ecchi shows has nudity/lewd actions. Romance shows has romance. Detective shows are supposed to have realistic logic. Whenever the main focus is lost, it is not worth watching anymore.

10. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

I don't find Laid-Back Camp to be very relaxing.

11. Claptrap

Claptrap Database Moderator

I prefer sports shows when the sports are barely present and are just a vehicle for drama

I admit, I don't watch sports shows for the tourneys (though I don't DISLIKE that element or I probably wouldn't watch sports anime period!) but my favourite part is always going to be the in-between game drama

Franconator likes this.
  12. Franconator

Franconator Well-Known Member

Truly an intellectual among intellectuals. Sports are but a spice of life, both for us and for anime. Games always get the blood pumping and the heart racing, but it's the drama that really makes the thing worth watching.

Gens and Claptrap like this.
  13. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Unless it's Battery or Hanebado.

*cough* *cough*

Claptrap likes this.
  14. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

So long as you don't overdo it and end up with Stars Align/Child Abuse Simulator

Rascal likes this.
  15. D4RKS3NS3I

D4RKS3NS3I Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be honest. Memes aside, Popee the Performer IS a "kid show". Only that the shitty animation (also, taking into account that this was made on the early 2000s with only 3 people, the animation is kinda praise worthy lmao) and the gore makes it seem like not. Explosions, cutting people, etc... Haven't we seen that in Tom & Jerry when we were kids?

I also really enjoyed it. Had some actually funny scenes every now and then (but I'm probably biased cuz my humour has degenerated to something weird) and the overall weirdness and randomness was pretty funny on itself too

Or maybe I'm just delusional. Who knows? Popee has changed my views on life :banana:

HasseRovdjur and Starletka like this.
  16. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

UAO:
    Now that it's over, I can safely say Akito is the best character in Fruits Basket, and singlehandedly carries one and a half seasons of the show.

howtoprocrastinate, Hayane and Gens like this.
  17. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

My opinion's really changed about Akito over time watching the new fruits basket, they do horrible things but I can't really deny how fleshed out and interestingly complex they are as a villain by the end. The story doesn't necessarily demand you forgive them but the main overall theme of the show is compassion and empathy for other people which I think they pretty much nail.

howtoprocrastinate and Rascal like this.
  18. HasseRovdjur

HasseRovdjur Breast Claw

I think saying that something is better because it follows the original manga ending is misguided at best.

I wish more anime used rotoscoping.

Popee the Performer and the rest of its creator's ouvre are basically the only funny slapstick comedy to be found in anime made this millenium, at least.

19. Rascal

Rascal Silver Supporter

Why?

20. g3data

g3data Well-Known Member

I mean it's not exactly a bad thing either, just not enough of a reason to call a series a good adaptation on it's own. Even now I'd still call the Shaman King reboot a lacklustre adaptation (blahblahblah pacing, blahblahblah fight scenes are full of stills) even if I can appreciate the fact it will include most of the content that the previous anime didn't have. Even with all of the 2001 anime's faults I still think the material shared between the two is handled there I can say much of the same for the FMA franchise, minus the fact that FMAB did eventually get it's act together, while it's still too early to say the same SK. Being a straightforward 1-1 adaptation of the source material is often enough a benefit, but it can never be a crutch. Just take a look at how Sailor Moon Crystal was received. The filler-filled 90 series more than made up for it's "we'll get to it eventually" approach to the narrative by taking more time to endear fans to the heroes and villains than the original manga did, so that along with the terrible artwork made Crystal a total misfire.

Hayane, Nicknames, Starletka and 4 others like this.