Norn9

Alt title: Norn9: Norn + Nonette

Add review
UsagiDandere's avatar
Jan 9, 2016

FIRST EPISODE IMPRESSIONS. Well, I was initially pretty pumped for this, because I checked out some of the play-throughs of the PS Vita game a while back (and I liked what I saw), but that excitement settled down when I began to see the signs of the usual reverse harem that I can only call a "guilty pleasure"...

BAD SIGNS:

1. The protag is obviously very naïve, just like almost any other reverse harem protag. She's already gotten into one dumb situation in this first episode, so she’ll likely stumble into many more, but she will never stop being kawaii as hell about it. Lord knows, not even One-Punch Man could punch the kawaii out of her; I just wish she didn't have (what seems to be) a shriveled pinto bean for brain. Why can’t a harem of guys be attracted to a girl’s outstanding bravery and/or intelligence or something? Is that too much to ask? Also, I just wanted to add that she is (to my annoyance) talented in her very own language of jumbled "shrieks" of wonder/surprise (I don't know what else to call the subtle noises she makes sometimes instead of talking).

2. The characters we were introduced to seemed to be following the usual tropes (I could be wrong about this, but I'm 80% sure I'm right). The grumpy shut-in guy will probably end up being my favorite, as I couldn't really say he fit into a common trope. I also think that I'll like the blue-haired guy, even though we only got a short glimpse of him (I think his name is Akito?), because his hair is friggin' majestic. Not Aoba (DMMd) majestic, but majestic nonetheless.

PRO:  I really do love the art and character designs; everything and everyone in the anime is beautiful so far, ESPECIALLY the protag! I just love her hair and eyes ^_^ I also like the garden-like spaceship setting. It’s a nice change from the school setting of other reverse harems.

SUMMARY OF FIRST EPISODE IMPRESSIONS: Even though it might not sound like it, I really do enjoy reverse harems (even if they're haunted by the same recurring pattern), so I'll probably like Norn9... I just wish it was something I could be proud of loving, that's all. Who knows, maybe it will shatter my now lower expectations by the end? We'll just have to see :)

Note: If you’re really craving a new reverse harem this season, I think Prince of Stride will turn out to be a better choice. Also, this is my first ever review, so don’t judge meee (at least, not too hard). I would, however, appreciate helpful feedback on how to make any future reviews better. I hope you have a nice rest of your day, stranger!

PurplePeopleEater's avatar
Jan 23, 2016

Original review is below.

New Review

After finishing it I decided, it's not good. It had an interesting start, but it did end up being a short anime and the story just didn't fit well. There were too many things crammed in and it didn't really make sense. A lot of animes this season seemed promising and most ended up disappointing. I don't reccomment bothering with this. The ending is too far out too.

Original Review

I just sort of stumbled on to this anime with no real expectations and absolutely no clue what I watching (since neither this site nor the site I was watching it on gave an informitive summary.....). So far so good. I really hope this isn't a 12 episode anime though because it won't be able to develop and finish in just 12 episodes. First three episdoes are interesting though.

I still don't entirely understand what is going on, but the characters are diverse and there is a bit of mystery behind each of them which is being discovered. The main focus right now appears to be the relationships between each of the twelve individuals on this "ship" thing that floats in the sky. Since it is only subbed, I was kind of planning on having it go on in the background as noise and paying half attention to it figuring it wasn't going to be interesting but it piqued my curiosity and I ended up paying attention it and enjoying it. I am excited to see what will happen next. I definitely reccomend.

jessycakarin's avatar
Jan 11, 2016

NORN 9 IS GREAT MANNN

honestly i waitted for one year until this anime come out, the characters sure is soooo handsome

if u like diabolik lovers or dance with devils, u sure love this one, but i think this story went better than those two

DATABASEERROR's avatar
Jul 14, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Adventure, Fantasy, Romance, Shoujo

Additional Info: If only real life also have a reset button, everybody would have used it already, right?

Ending Rating: 95%

Short Review:

Norm9 is a spectacular bizzare masterpiece of an anime. It's so good that you'll transcend to the 13th dimentional timeline and rip the space-time continuum. From the epicness of the action scenes to the sweet romantic moments of every main casts. This anime will surely excite you to the max. The anime requires some thinking, once comprehended, a whole new 14th dimensional world will be created and you'll be shouting amazing compliments towards the masterpiece.

lorechaser67's avatar
Aug 4, 2017

So at first, I wasn’t so keen on the series. I felt like the romance was just awkward and painfully cheesy, but after the first two episodes, it gets a lot better. While the romance aspects are seemingly the main focus of the show, the show does have a fairly interesting plot that honestly blended in well with the romantic aspects. The romantic aspects don’t take away from the plot and the plot fit in well with the romantic aspects, even adding to them in some cases. The plot in and of it’s self was actually pretty deep and mind boggling when you think about it and I was honestly surprised of just how thought out it was considering the show usually focused on the cute romantic themes more than the plot, though little things are mentioned in the show to keep it going and it’s brought to focus when most necessary. So while it wasn’t forced it wasn’t completely forgotten either.

The romance aspects started off as cheesy and forced, but as we learn more about the characters and the characters develop more the romantic relationships turn from just being cute to actually being pretty interesting. At first, it focuses way too much on the main couple and because of this the romantic times they have together seem forced. However, as our knowledge of the characters expand and more couples are put into play each of them gets just the right amount of screen time. Because of this we get to see actual development, one couple isn’t focused on too much, forcing things to happen between them to keep the show entertaining, and the relationships actually feel fleshed out and not forced. It had a rocky beginning because, for the main couple, the romantic aspect was immediately put into play despite the fact it seemed inappropriate as they literally just meant. Luckily though this couple is more fleshed out and given more room to breathe when more characters and couples are added to the mix. Sure the show can be cheesy and over dramatic at times because of the romantic aspect, but that’s honestly one of the things that made it so good, well, that and its balance with the plot.

I honestly love how the plot was presented in Norn9. The main focus was the characters and their relationships but the plot wasn’t completely abandoned. The show dropped hints here and there making it seem like it was just a casual show and nothing big was going to happen, but boy was I wrong! The plot turned out to be way more serious and big than I would have ever expected. The best part is these subtle clues actually all hinted at this yet, as stated before, they were subtle, so while the watcher had hints here and there they truly didn’t really know that it was all going to lead up to something so huge. Anyway, I don’t want to spoil it so that’s all I’m going to say about that.

While there was some wonky and forced character development near the end, it doesn’t really ruin anything and the ending is still greatly satisfying. It may have been a bit over dramatic but, honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. What made it so great was the balance between romance and the plot, and though it was over dramatic I still feel like the plot blended in well and really added to the romantic aspect of the show. However, I’m not going to say the plot or character development was great because it did have it’s wonky, odd moments. However, it did do it pretty well for what it is. A lot of the cheesy, romantic anime I watch usually don’t spend much time on character development or plot and, well, Norn9 actually executed both pretty well and blended them together quite nicely. Again, not perfectly but well enough to make the show enjoyable and add a bit of extra charm to the show and its cast.

So, in conclusion, I honestly really loved Norn9. Was it cheesy? Yes. Was it over dramatic at times? Yes but honestly that’s what made it so lovable. It had an interesting, quirky cast, cheesy yet adorable romantic moments, and a surprisingly intriguing plot. All in all, I defiantly recommend Norn9. It’s a great cheesy romantic anime. As long as you don’t go in expecting top grade character development and plot you should enjoy. However, despite this, it’s still a great watch and I defiantly recommend it.