UsagiDandere's avatar

• Joined Apr 13, 2015
  • 24 / Other

Norn9

Jan 9, 2016

FIRST EPISODE IMPRESSIONS. Well, I was initially pretty pumped for this, because I checked out some of the play-throughs of the PS Vita game a while back (and I liked what I saw), but that excitement settled down when I began to see the signs of the usual reverse harem that I can only call a "guilty pleasure"...

BAD SIGNS:

1. The protag is obviously very naïve, just like almost any other reverse harem protag. She's already gotten into one dumb situation in this first episode, so she’ll likely stumble into many more, but she will never stop being kawaii as hell about it. Lord knows, not even One-Punch Man could punch the kawaii out of her; I just wish she didn't have (what seems to be) a shriveled pinto bean for brain. Why can’t a harem of guys be attracted to a girl’s outstanding bravery and/or intelligence or something? Is that too much to ask? Also, I just wanted to add that she is (to my annoyance) talented in her very own language of jumbled "shrieks" of wonder/surprise (I don't know what else to call the subtle noises she makes sometimes instead of talking).

2. The characters we were introduced to seemed to be following the usual tropes (I could be wrong about this, but I'm 80% sure I'm right). The grumpy shut-in guy will probably end up being my favorite, as I couldn't really say he fit into a common trope. I also think that I'll like the blue-haired guy, even though we only got a short glimpse of him (I think his name is Akito?), because his hair is friggin' majestic. Not Aoba (DMMd) majestic, but majestic nonetheless.

PRO:  I really do love the art and character designs; everything and everyone in the anime is beautiful so far, ESPECIALLY the protag! I just love her hair and eyes ^_^ I also like the garden-like spaceship setting. It’s a nice change from the school setting of other reverse harems.

SUMMARY OF FIRST EPISODE IMPRESSIONS: Even though it might not sound like it, I really do enjoy reverse harems (even if they're haunted by the same recurring pattern), so I'll probably like Norn9... I just wish it was something I could be proud of loving, that's all. Who knows, maybe it will shatter my now lower expectations by the end? We'll just have to see :)

Note: If you’re really craving pretty boys this season, I think Prince of Stride will turn out to be a better choice. Also, this is my first ever review, so don’t judge meee (at least, not too hard). I would, however, appreciate helpful feedback on how to make any future reviews better. I hope you have a nice rest of your day, stranger!