Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina

So far she seems more of an opportunist
"What's in it for me?"
THIS!! the way she acts in pervious episodes makes sense now
i kinda wish i had known this from the beginning so i would know what to expect from her character
it would have saved me a lot of grief from ep 3; i wouldn't have liked that she left without helping, but at least it would have made sense right then and there why she didn't help sigh

-------------

i like ep 4 a lot better!!! i like the setting, THE VISUALS, the story, Mirarosé, and the slight development in elaina from ep 3 to now
idk how much time has passed since then, but elaina was more willing to do something about a dangerous situation
she ended up not having to do anything during the battle, but at least she was eventually willing to help Mirarosé if anything went wrong
it would be really nice if elaina continues to grow towards this direction
what worries me is the possible "i decided to help out a person i didn't know and they turned out to be nuts ! !" reason that the show would give to justify elaina not taking action in the future. i guess we'll see in future eps

aside from that, really loving the visuals! :D Mirarosé is one super powerful witch; reminds me of Fran. I miss Fran
i have noooo idea why i thought Mirarosé was the daughter of the princess and the baker lmao
i was shook when i learned she was the princess and the dragon was her father

the takeaway for me is that i should expect dark tones for future episodes; this anime isn't going to be the bubbly and care free show that i thought it would be
i just read the tags for the anime and idk if 'melancholy' was already in the tags or if it was recently added in (i'm bad at reading tags in general tho)
ye i think that's all on my mind

"What's in it for me?"
i dunno... maybe it's me but if you was in her shoes, would you risk your life for a stranger? I like to think of myself as a decent(ish) person but i ain't taking on no fire breathing dragon for someone just because they gave me a bed for the night, maybe i am selfish but the two are on way different wave lengths for me.

Episode 4... I just noticed Saya from episode 2 is in the OP,
huh... i only just noticed that too, i kind of hope she makes a return now.
EP4
Well i knew the story from the start, the minute it mentioned different social class between the cook and princess it was obvious the cook could die to the king or some negative action would be taken, and thus the story played out as expected.
That aside, it was still good.

I think @Scalpelexis really covered everything i wanted to say so i will just borrow (steal) some snipits from their post (sorry i am tired!!!)
I enjoyed that a lot. When Mirarosé without spouting any dumb charms just showered the monster with bolts, icycles and went full Gilgamesh on him, I had a nice evil smile on my face. I also liked the shadowing when Mirarosé was either confident in words or thoughts. Darkness through revenge can be satisfying.
This, oh god this. I couldn't help smile a evil grin, seeing her rain down divine punishment, she spared no mercy, from simple magic bolts to wind blades to ice shards to bolts to swords, she had it all, and she didn't go easy either - seeing her satisfied look and she launched her final attack for revenge was pretty sweet, especially as this point confirmed (that memory flash for a second was all i needed) it was indeed her father, as you say, darkness through revenge is indeed very satisfying.

People might find the dark ending, but I don't know, I don't feel necessarily so. The king apparently didn't act in any mercy, so I don't necessarily expect some from Mirarosé
As someone who is enjoying the dark ends, i can't see this end was dark really, as you say, the kind offered no mercy and neither did she, it really became eye for on eye in a way (just with the city as collatoral... but that wasn't Elaina's doing so it's not our place to say there. I think the end was pretty neutral, the princess got her revenge and went a little crazy, Elaina didn't really help and just moved on.

Now, Elaina is really an oddity. Everywhere she goes she is so welcome,
Door burning aside, i wonder if this is related to her being a witch. Ignoring her promise to not act better than others, she is clearly proud of herself but that aside, i get the idea these witches are possibly a bit "noble" like to some, she expects to be welcome wherever she goes which tells me it likely isn't down to who she is but what she is, this has been my take anyway, don't quite think it warrants burning a door down but i guess she assumed it was empty or abandoned considering the state of the city.

Finally, to the ending displease of Elaina - why so? Ok, Mirarosé's curse wasn't the nicest thing, but when done, there was no better solution than to kill the monster. Death of Mirarosé by the monster would solve nothing, both dying wouldn't change much. Could the curse be lifted? Looks like not. I would probably fly away shrugging and if I don't wanna know other persons's skeletons, it would probably be for the better do only some sightseeing.
This.
I actually think this is Elaina's whole objective anyways, just to go see the world and not interfere much. I get the idea she has no interest in getting involved with others affairs and equally is probably why others see her so negatively. She is simply a traveller, a passer-by who just writes what she sees and moves along.
Generaly I was ok with the story. Action and magic was cool, it looked cool and I enjoyed it. This time I freed my mind from any..lesson learning..and I think it is for the best. Elaina and he feelings were not important, she served me as a cinema screen through her eyes.
I enjoyed the episode again though this is how i see most episodes, i don't expect to lesson learn from Elaina, sure she is a bit full-of herself but i don't think she is meant to be the lesson-teaching hero people expect, who knows, her actions could come back to haunt her in the end, some might say she has it coming to her (i personally don't, i think she is just self serving over selfless), regardless, i think she isn't the hero people expect her to be, and that's fine for me.
All in all, another good episode for me, i am pleasantly enjoying this show quite a bit.

May i just say, the sound that the monster made while falling back down into the hole, sounded exactly like canned laughter. Surreal experience.

This was an epic episode though. Just as dark as the last one, not as cheesy as the first two. I liked it. I'm liking where this show is going. But this lady has unlimited blade works and that's crazy.

Also, I don't know how I knew, but I KNEW that she was gonna call him father right before she did.

No spoilers:
Ep.4 was a visual treat and the story was interesting, so overall I quite liked it... BUT again, Eleina doesn't need to exist.
Absolutely nothing would have changed whether she was in this episode or not, which would be fine, if she was just a normal person, but she's not. She's an overpowered witch who could solve most problems without any effort, so for her to just be nothing but an observer is by no way justified. Why does she even need to be a powerful witch at this point?

To be fair, she may not have needed to help in this episode (for reasons I won't spoil), but the fact that she didn't even consider helping, is enough of a reason to hate her as a protagonist. She is a full blown, irredeemable sociopath, which would be fine if she wasn't set up as the exact opposite in the first 2 episodes. But wait... she does end up "trying to help"! So which is it? Does she care about others or not? Why would she consider helping this episode's victim and not the previous one who was arguably in a worse situation? Eleina's character is incredibly inconsistent, she keeps jumping from nice girl (ep1+2) to sociopath (ep3 p1+2) and now both in the same episode (ep4). Does this girl have a multiple personality disorder or what?

I like the anime, the stories are interesting and will be watching the rest of it, but damn I do wish they'd do something with Eleina as a character... at least give us an explanation for her inconsistent character. Also, the ending (when Eleina left) was pretty goofy and unnecessary imo. The twist and conclusion would have been a better way to end the episode without that extra bit.

To be fair, she may not have needed to help in this episode (for reasons I won't spoil), but the fact that she didn't even consider helping, is enough of a reason to hate her as a protagonist.She is a full blown, irredeemable sociopath, which would be fine if she wasn't set up as the exact opposite in the first 2 episodes. But wait... she does end up "trying to help"! So which is it?

You nailed it. Thank you. I can't be bothered to be interested in Elaina, I actively dislike her and since she's everywhere and I don't understand what this series is trying to do or say, I'm going to drop this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught up with the last three episodes, and yeah this show is kinda shit. Its like Kino's Journey except worse in every possible way, even art and animation after the first episode. The CGI monster in ep4 was atrocious and actual animation is the norm you would expect from a mediocre show.

The themes are communicated to the audience in such a hamhanded way, they just beat you over the head with them. Elaina not having a side character like Hermes the motorcycle to talk to is a big weakness since she just monologues about stuff and tells us what to think. The dialogue in this show is trash too.

Power is an issue like I thought...Elaina just walked away from certain situations especially in ep3 for no apparent reason. This again was far different in Kino's Journey, where she was just a girl with a gun who couldnt do anything she wanted. Elaina could do something, and she doesnt, and no reason is provided.

Not worth watching even when bored, dropped 4\10

Episode 5... wow, this was kind of just boring.
Sure, we find out where sensei is. Great were teaching at, um.... Swogwarts, yeah. I mean, it's nothing remotely ripped off aesthetic or concept wise at all. Nope. Completly Original!
Tthe whole interaction is just boring & sad. I don't get how this country is her favorite because of the street performers she spent 90 seconds watching. There was no bite to this. Even good or bad, nothing happened. At least in the previous dark episodes, good or bad, something with a conflict happened. This episode just happened.

The only positive is in the world building we learned that there is a difference between a person who uses magic & a witch. Maybe in 4 more episodes they'll tell us what that difference is.
If this kind of trend keeps up I'll have to drop this cause I was fall asleep during it.

Episode 5

Aaaand, this episode happened, yawn. You know, this is the episode..that didn't bring anything, got us nowhere, developed no character, but at the same time didn't offend us. It felt to me like the perfect example of a 2020 "non-offensive" representative. Let's not harm anyone this time, let's calm down.

Really, honestly, tell me what happened this episode? We got a tag with some academy students, tea with Fran, sunset and flowers? For hardcore SoL fans this could mean something, but not for me. And where are the metaphorical lessons, bruh?

@oninosweeney had a point in Elaina getting in love with a country just by some magic jugglers in first 5 minutes. I'll add that Elaina's repetitive non-chalant intrusion and invasion into property of others fascinates me. She gives no poops about it for the last 3 episodes and like..how? As a witch you have free entry tickets to anywhere? No shame? But ok.

Now, honestly, what are these cuts? In Ep1 Elaina jumped 3 years I think? And by EP 5 she is 6 years gone from meeting Fran? And those 3 stories in the previous episodes are the best/most interesting in between those 6 years? Woha..her life must be pretty boring and she can't find too many adventures. How her diary must look by now? 10 pages only maybe?

This show heavily lacks any substance, it is so empty except of the visuals. And that is not enough. Last chance and probably drop.

EP 5 - i wont go so far to drop as the above as i am actually enjoying the show, however
I do agree and second the above, the episode was rather empty, it kind of feels like this is what i expected the show to be, which normally would be fine but i got used to Elaine going around showing me new things she could help but doesn't (which to reiterate from previous episodes, i am totally okay with) as opposed to doing... nothing.

I also don't get why it was told as a story, she starts it by saying it reminds of her a place she visited and proceeds to tell us about the time she was there... why not just make it present day?

Swogwarts, yeah. I mean, it's nothing remotely ripped off aesthetic or concept wise at all. Nope. Completly Original!
not gonna lie... when the kids all surrounded her, the first thing i said (outloud) was "Are they going to play a game of Qwiditch (or whatever it is called), they proceeded to do something similar...

though did they really think someone would just follow? "Come with us without asking questions" - oh sure, nothing sounds suspicious about this...

Equally, sure it's nice in a way to see sensei but i didn't need a episode on her teaching kids, i guess at least Elaine knows the joys (ha!) of teaching now (she did mention never teaching others before... despite having the chance with Saya).

Really, honestly, tell me what happened this episode? We got a tag with some academy students, tea with Fran, sunset and flowers? For hardcore SoL fans this could mean something
This sums it up.
As a hardcore SoL fan it wasn't my thing - i love SoL series and love a show fitting a chill episode but it just didn't belong at the SoL elements was lacking to say the least anyway.

Whilst i enjoyed the previous so-called "darker themed" endings/episodes, this one felt out of place and just like a miss for me.
shame.
Hopefully it's life as normal next week

for a show that's meant to be about a traveling witch encountering humanity, it sure is about a traveling witch encountering other lame witches.

Uh... This episode was boring and shitty and lacks any substance whatsoever. Hope to get another one like 3 soon. Lowering my score to a 6/10.

yay Fran!!! Fran is fav witch
this episode could have been a great there's-a-problem-but-achievable-solution-that-isn't-super-dark material
i always love the visuals! :D i think that's what kept me here

i hoped elaina's character would grow on me but it hasn't; i just end up disliking her more and more
and since elaina is MC, i can't exactly avoid her character so i'll be dropping this series
i'm really glad we got to see Fran in this episode tho!!
good luck and i hope everyone else can enjoy the show

Ok, what even is this show at this point? Its all over the place...
We go from wholesome young Elaina working hard to realize her dream (ep1), to Elaina now more mature, exploring the world and helping out someone in need even when they wronged her (ep2), to Elaina meeting people in dire need of her help and her completely ignoring them and walking away with a smile (ep3), to Elaina meeting someone who's in need of her help and her completely ignoring them, but then it turns out they really don't need her help and only then does she consider helping them after all (ep4), to Elaina meeting her old teacher and having fun with her students, happy fun times yay (ep5)... What the hell am I even watching?

Overall inconsistency aside, she said her journey has been fun, despite the only thing shown to us being people in utter misery, ergo she had fun watching other's suffer? I'm sure her mother can't wait to read her wonderful tales of leaving defenseless victims to their horrible fates. Also, she claimed this place was her favorite, just because she saw some common people using magic? I mean if she said its her favorite because everywhere else she has been was full of horrible people doing horrible things, then I'd believe her, but that clearly wasn't her reason.

I'm honestly disliking the show more with each new episode, I'm not gonna drop it, but I'm definitely not excited to watch more of it... Also gonna stop ranting cause it feels like I'm just beating a dead horse at this point.

I'm honestly disliking the show more with each new episode, I'm not gonna drop it, but I'm definitely not excited to watch more of it... Also gonna stop ranting cause it feels like I'm just beating a dead horse at this point.
As someone that has already abandoned his own horse at ep3 I have to say that I have been really enjoying watching you rant lol

Episode 6... almost a really good episode.
Solid Plot. Good character interactions. Great world building.
But that dialog though. Either the translations were half assed or the original left much to be desired. It was so bad!
Saya is still terrible, but thanks to the truth we know just how utterly terrible she is. I'm half expecting she did something to the back of Elaina's neck while putting that necklace on... or the pendant itself is magicked to do something; Saya was giving off real rapey vibes.
In completion to be the best episode of the season, but that's kind of sad really.

EP6
Saya's back!!!
Man she graduated quick... i think, it's hard to follow passing time in this show.
Anyways it was nice to see her return, guess she was on the OP for a reason, i kept wondering, was her constant confessions to Elaine because she couldn't lie or because she wanted to say it? Anyway, it was nice seeing her return and still respect her Ashen Witch, but man Elaine loves herself, to test if she really couldn't lie to tried to say she isn't beautiful? Man that's one big head she has.
I was glad she didn't shun Saya, though i was hoping to see her more close to her - Saya's weird rape mode aside, she was clearly happy to see Elaine again.

I'm half expecting she did something to the back of Elaina's neck while putting that necklace on... or the pendant itself is magicked to do something; Saya was giving off real rapey vibes.
Yeah this passed through my head too! She seemed to grin at her neck, i am expecting she did something (it could just be she was into her neck i guess? doubtful though, i see foul play), not sure what but i would assume the necklace likely has something tracking or something to it so she can find her when/if they are close again... which i wouldn't complain too (unless she shows up everywhere, that would be weird).
Part of me hopes she hasn't done something too bad though, it will screw her already none existent chances of that marriage to Elaine right good and proper if she finds something is wrong.

I will say (as someone who hasn't been too phased by Elaine though - i wish she would of shown Saya some more kindness... look how happy she was to see her old teacher, yet her first student (in respects) she is hardly interested to see her at all, someone she could become friends with (and a friendly face every now and then), especially how Saya is so heels over her head obsessed with Elaine... at least be more friendly to her is all i ask.

Back