Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina

It's like all of Hogwarts is after her now.

Ha ha! Master played a joke on her.

Did her mom write the book?
Fran the apprentice?

What a pleasant episode.

Episode 6

Ok, Elaina is not travelling again, but helping. And she actually didn't ask what is there for her from this. Just sayin'..

It was pretty boring. In all honesty, I didn't fully understand the logics behind the "Not being able to lie" magic spell. There was some explanation as how by not being able to lie people hide stuff? Or..? I am not sure. Either way, I didn't like the loophole of not lying when you split the sentence on more sheets of paper. C'mon, we are talking magic, so I don't think you could cheat it by limiting the portrayed message to the border of a paper. And in the end I was just laughing when the show tried to explain as via that witch that being able to lie again will make the kingdom super happy and prosperous again. How..how is that even connected? It's like an assumption that if you'll have snow then TV industry will do better.

I gotta gree with the concensus of Madoka that Elaina's relationship and behavior towards Saya is uninspirational. Do not get me wrong, I do not like Saya too much, but not only she would deserve better from Elaina, also look at Elaina's reactions towards her - "Nice to see you, Saya!" - "Could you not clinge to me?" - "Well fought against the soldiers" - "What are you doing, Saya?!" - "Let's see us again!" Or it was somewhere like that, I don't remember properly. It just made me grit and shout on Elaina to behave constantly towards Saya.

In the end it was an ok story, but not very entertaining. I am barely holding to this series.

So I watched a video today that actually gave a little insight on this series (don't actually bother watching it, the list was pretty atrocious):

However, the narrator said something that made sense, but I don't think was translated or maybe not revealed yet, so just in case, I'll put under the tag.
Elaina is mearly an observer, not interfering in the events of the world...just recording them. It doesn't excuse all of her actions, but a bunch of them now make some sense.

Going forward with that mindset, I hope they look deeper into her being conflicted about said observer only status, or why she chose it, or what the consequences of breaking it are.

I know I said I wasn't gonna rant about this show anymore, but good lord this episode was again so frustratingly incompetent, that I can't help myself.
I knew that Eleina was inconsistent, but now I'm sure that the show is as well... The tone of the show is all over the place ep1+2 were wholesome, ep 3+4 were very dramatic, ep 5 was... slice of life-ish(?) and now ep 6 is... comedic?

Well, at least we know our "lovable" little witch is still the absolute worst human scum, exhibiting yet again how incredibly in love she is with her self, but what really blew me away was:
when she wrote down "I have a pure heart" on the paper, while being unable to lie. So this bitc- i mean witch is actually convinced she is a good person. If that doesn't scream sociopath to you, after all that she's done (or rather, hasn't done), then nothing will. I'm honestly curious what the author thinks of her.
The things that were consistent however, was the random time lapse, that is incredibly hard to follow and our "returning guest character" being mostly the same as before (overly clingy and mischievous, albeit nowhere near as bad as our dear protagonist). At the very least she tried to help out, as a proper witch presumably should.

Some more inconsistencies in the episode if anyone's interested:
Like Scalpelexis mentioned above, the "unable to tell a lie" magic wasn't very well thought out. People couldn't lie verbally or in writing, yet they seem to have been able to lie in gestures, for example Eleina asked the baker lady if the bread was fresh and she clearly nodded to confirm it, yet it turned out to be a lie. Why can't they say or write a lie, yet they can gesture one? Could they lie in sign language then? And didn't the king notice that no one was talking anymore?

Speaking of the king, that moronic king's character was all over the place. He seemed like this just person, who was fed up with corruption, so he asked the witch to cast this large spell that will make his wish come true, even costing the witch her voice and magic in the process, yet when she gave him exactly what he wanted, he just threw her away like garbage... Mind you, he didn't try to trick her, since he couldn't tell a lie. So what was his deal? Was he a hypocrite? Is it okay if he acts corrupted? But then after the Eleina broke the sword and returned things back to normal (which he was very opposed to, mind you), he flipped his character again and now understood the lesson (for some reason) and even took back the witch, he formerly kicked out for no good reason... because stuff. Not to mention the witch's willingness to go back to a king who kicked her out after she made his dream come true at the cost of everything she had, was also very bizarre... But lets just blame it on love, cause its easier that way.

Anyway, this rant is getting too long again, so I'll stop here. I just hope I can hold myself back from ranting next time.

@KazeVongola thank you for your rants because I am in the same boat. I actually follow an anime trending list on Facebook and Elaina was listed as the number 1 female of the season for this week. I usually don't comment on those posts but I felt the need to. Elaina is not worthy of being number one when she literally watches as everyone around her burn. I understand she's an observer, but I'm also the observer. So I'm watching a show about an observer...as the observer? How meta...and so boring. The anime's storyline might be why I am not enjoying it too but I was rubbed the wrong way in episode 3 where she legitimately could have helped people and just left them to stay in misery.
Of course when I posted my thoughts (non-aggressively) I was immediately attacked by Elaina fanboys but I just don't agree with any of their reasons that she is not a terrible person. She is not worthy of number one this season and this show is becoming stale. Maybe I'm missing the point but it's definitely not my cup of tea if that's the case.
I haven't seen episode 6 yet but 5 episodes of watching this witch be selfish AF might be too much for me. I haven't decided if I want to continue or not but if I do I hope for some character development. That might help with the shitty storyline a little.

@KazeVongola thank you for your rants because I am in the same boat. I actually follow an anime trending list on Facebook and Elaina was listed as the number 1 female of the season for this week. I usually don't comment on those posts but I felt the need to. Elaina is not worthy of being number one when she literally watches as everyone around her burn. I understand she's an observer, but I'm also the observer. So I'm watching a show about an observer...as the observer? How meta...and so boring. The anime's storyline might be why I am not enjoying it too but I was rubbed the wrong way in episode 3 where she legitimately could have helped people and just left them to stay in misery.
Of course when I posted my thoughts (non-aggressively) I was immediately attacked by Elaina fanboys but I just don't agree with any of their reasons that she is not a terrible person. She is not worthy of number one this season and this show is becoming stale. Maybe I'm missing the point but it's definitely not my cup of tea if that's the case.
I haven't seen episode 6 yet but 5 episodes of watching this witch be selfish AF might be too much for me. I haven't decided if I want to continue or not but if I do I hope for some character development. That might help with the shitty storyline a little.

Then be welcome here, among us, since this place might be the perfect place for you :-) We do try to discuss shows on this site fully, every detail possible and then assess the actual quality we are being served. We do fanboy stuff from time to time, but it has to have an argument and reason behind it, not because someone's panties are striped with hearts. As that, we might sound a bit more sour and critical than many others and then being accused of being elitists or haters, I don't know :-)

I think nobody is in love with Elaina herself here. Her ethics and morals keep on clashing together, creating a loop of hypocrisy. She is either and absolute human character oddity or her character keeps on unstably flexing from one place to another, for the sake of the convenience of the story or plot. If she would be a full 100% observer, she would never intervene in any of the stories. In EP 6 you are being the witness of her misdirecting the flow of an entire kingdom! Observers would hardly do that (I would probably accept giving advice). It really conflicts me and leaves me baffled how all the fanboys always find some shallow excuse of the liberty to jumping from "She is an observer!" to "Yeah, but she had to do it for the sake of that and that".

I don't think anyone denies that these stories have almost no substance and the character of Elaina goes through no development at all. Weird for a story that apparently takes years..

@Scalpelexis you have no idea how relieved I am that others feel the same way I do haha. I thought I was going crazy looking at the ratings. Most of the fanboys I encountered had things to say like 'well what good would it do to help? If she intervened it doesn't necessarily mean it would be for the better!' Ummmmm I'm pretty sure anyone in episode 3 would have been in a better position had she helped them in ANY way. Good thing I have you guys to keep me sane. I knew I couldn't be the only one thinking that Elaina was a selfish jerk.

Episode 7... hey, it wasn't terrible, so there's a plus.
Hey look, it's Saya. Hey, is Saya actually secretly competent? That would be the biggest twist in this show right there.
Ohhhhhh, Nike is her mom! Duh.....

Pretty much 2 halves of a story about 2 towns split in half finally coming together... it's like a theme or something.
First story was pretty good, funny how Saya ruined one of the love of her life's dreams. Very telling how Elaina didn't grasp the point of the story.
Second story was kind of weird, just putting the foot fetishes out there front and center while not having many foot scenes. I think this is the first story not told directly from Elaina's point if view, so narrative growth. Also, man she's a cheap date! Half a glass and she's BOMBED!
Anyone know where I can score some Demon Witch Label wine?

EP 7

Hey look, it's Saya. Hey, is Saya actually secretly competent?
It's a amusing twist, she became someone useful over time i guess, though she did ironically solve their problem by their stalker issues.

Ohhhhhh, Nike is her mom! Duh.....
huh, apparently so, i was at first thinking to myself why the heck did she go back to the town and when she clearly hadn't been before i figured it was in focus of Nike, turns out it was her mother the whole time, seems nice she didn't want Elaine travelling as freely as she did though...

Pretty much 2 halves of a story about 2 towns split in half finally coming together... it's like a theme or something.
First story was pretty good, funny how Saya ruined one of the love of her life's dreams. Very telling how Elaina didn't grasp the point of the story.
Second story was kind of weird, just putting the foot fetishes out there front and center while not having many foot scenes. I think this is the first story not told directly from Elaina's point if view, so narrative growth. Also, man she's a cheap date! Half a glass and she's BOMBED!
^This sums up all i have to say really.
But yeah, half a glass, i mean sure she hasn't had alcohol before but half a glass!? She wasn't even tipsy, she was actually off her tits right a way (This expression refers to getting drunk for anyone who doesn't understand it... not sure if it's a global understood thing... or even national, just what we say at work lol). Quite sure most newbies to drinks can take at least just over a glass before they feel a bit tipsy. I do like she was pissed about being insulted, apparently she is so convinced she is beautiful that she would hear no more of such mockery!
(Which got me thinking about last weeks ep, lies and truth are all perspective opinion (at least partly) - for example, the comment about her being beautiful or kind, if she believes strong enough she is, well she isn't lying, even if the whole world would challenge that, she believes it to be true thus isn't a lie... never mind, we don't need last weeks ep).
Anyone know where I can score some Demon Witch Label wine?
Second this, i would kill for a glass, i hear one glass is good enough!

So I watched a video today that actually gave a little insight on this series (don't actually bother watching it, the list was pretty atrocious):

However, the narrator said something that made sense, but I don't think was translated or maybe not revealed yet, so just in case, I'll put under the tag.
Elaina is mearly an observer, not interfering in the events of the world...just recording them. It doesn't excuse all of her actions, but a bunch of them now make some sense.

Going forward with that mindset, I hope they look deeper into her being conflicted about said observer only status, or why she chose it, or what the consequences of breaking it are.
Unironically linking a WatchMojo list in the year of our lord 2020
-----------------
Ep 7

this show is a fucking disgrace

Episode 7

I've seen it 2 days ago, so my feelings from it are kinda forgotten. However as they were not good at all I have no will at all to go back to rewatch it. It's gonna be short and a bit cooled.

Defo not fan of these split short episodes. It looks like the stories would have not enough of going on to fill the whole 20 min time which doesn't add anything to the overall impression.

The wall one was predictable enough. I knew that they would carve through the wall and voila, the trouble would be magically gone. The revelation of Niké being Elaina's mother ddidn't surprise me either, since I think we all had that hunch to some extent.

I was not entirely unsatisfied with the wine one. Elaina getting drunk and wild with those grapes and laughter was even fun. Though did they honestly believe that one girl humps all those grapes by herself? I thought they knew it was a PR stunt.

Episode 8

Now look at her! Just look at her! This show is so phony and inconsistent in its values, it makes my hair stand.

The story for me revolved around Elaina and her character, which is honestly all over the place. What is that first sequence for? Ok, I heard a few times comments on herself how beautiful she is, but it doesn't sound too convicing. Most of the time she appears to have some humbleness and heart by helping others, so this narcissistic blabbering doesn't fit. Why are we told that even? Go full arrogant or just don't be. Or troll us..I don't care, just pick something for God's sake!

Next page is Elaina going full death threats because of..cutted hair?
FYbNbB7.png

ODceiCa.png

tUHaXc4.png

HTpDZ9K.png

Do you remember how she could kill the village lord who was mistreating the servant? Lost hair, which you magically conjured back is worse than that? Hmmm..hm. If you say so.

Some points which I were kind "eh" about:
1) Was there some explanation why the people where so much into those dolls? Some spell? Not sure I got any reasoning there.
2) The villain was so obvious from the get go, but she already understood in the doll shop Elaina being mage. How come she was so shocked Elaina was a witch?
3) The cowboy Sheyla witch enters Elaina's room just like that? No knocks? That deserves a death sentence!
4) I would think you use human hair in wigs, don't you on dolls maybe too?
5) We spent so much time watching Elaina..read..brush teeth..bath..lie on bed..read. I expected some scare jump.
6) I don't think the villain doll-maker was so evil. Yes, they made a complete psycho out of her, but what is wrong to give the money to charity? She was giving out dolls for free and did it for the happy faces of people. If she would regularly be less psycho, I wouldn't even consider her at all jail worthy.
7) Look at Elaina casting that spell. Slomo here, slomo there! "Ugh, ugh, double ugh ugh!" Why? Are we showing off? Cringy a bit.

Guess what? I am dropping. Elaina changed her character 180 and back every 2 episodes. Got enough.

Episode 8
Do you remember how she could kill the village lord who was mistreating the servant? Lost hair, which you magically conjured back is worse than that? Hmmm..hm. If you say so.
Hmm i don't really think that is the point though. How often have you in life wished someone was dead or that something equally as bad happened, regardless if you was 5 or 15 or 50, we have all uttered them words at some point for some trivial reason - Her comments about this woman to me wasn't literal death threats as much as it was a pissed girl who had a unwanted hair cut.
As for the comparison, one thing i think many overlooked with the lord is, she couldn't free the slave or kill the lord, she is still just a person. If we write away killing the lord for now and focus on freeing the slave, well i still don't see that ending well. Their country clearly didn't have such laws against slaves so it's no different from her taking a child or stealing, a crime is a crime, freeing a slave might sound good but she could of been committing a serious crime in doing so, maybe it's just how i see the show (i never expected a "moral of the story" show) but i felt the reality of that story was she simply couldn't do anything to help that kid without effectively risking making it worse for her (doing anything to help her could only have reflected worse in the future), her best bet would of been to take her with her which could be seen as theft or kidnapping depending how the lord viewed the slave, either way it would turn her into a criminal, which whilst many over look this, Elaine makes it known she is a traveller, not a saint.
I think the hair anger just was a temporary spit of rage, I'm not saying she is a good person but i would be a liar to say i have never got angry about something i felt it was a bit far (though i can't fix a issue with magic).

I'm not defending her - i accept i am the minority who doesn't think she is that bad for being a bit selfish and catering to number one first and only getting involved when it suits her, sure it means she is no angel but hey, i probably wouldn't be so different myself.

With that covered, i do however agree to some of these:
Some points which I were kind "eh" about:
1) Was there some explanation why the people where so much into those dolls? Some spell? Not sure I got any reasoning there.
So true, she briefly mentioned about it being in their culture or something, but it was just in passive chat with the other witch, the concept isn't wrong to create a commodity in a item, a items value is what people would pay for it but other than mentioning "there are no dolls like these in the world" - it really didn't cover why people loved them so much or just at least explain how they came to appreciate them.

2) The villain was so obvious from the get go, but she already understood in the doll shop Elaina being mage. How come she was so shocked Elaina was a witch?
Again true, she did confirm she was a mage before hand, her reaction was so dumb to this scene.

6) I don't think the villain doll-maker was so evil. Yes, they made a complete psycho out of her, but what is wrong to give the money to charity? She was giving out dolls for free and did it for the happy faces of people. If she would regularly be less psycho, I wouldn't even consider her at all jail worthy.
I don't agree so much here, she seems nice on the surface but it's the Robin Hood syndrome, sure she profits and gives it away but she still steals what isn't hers, in this instance she steals hair, sure it weird and not harmful by right but i doubt many people would be happy to wake one morning sporting a new unwanted hair cut because some crazy doll enthusiast down the road is a bit gone in the head. Equally, it seems to me she only gave her proceeds away to the poor to fund her obsessive issue with facial expressions, it was just a rather crummy version of selfishness to me. I still think she was the villain, a crime is a crime, even if it's rather small in scale.

Guess what? I am dropping. Elaina changed her character 180 and back every 2 episodes. Got enough.
Fair enough there though, i wouldn't blame ya if it's bugging you, i found a few shows like that lately and just throw them to the flames, not worth getting annoyed, i do agree her personality changes by her mood it seems.

That aside, i didn't mind the episode, it was what it was, it was hardly serious and a bit dumb of a plot but i don't have any issues with it either, it was what it was. I would of thought people would wake up during a midnight hair cut though, seems a bit weird people are flat out - needless to say, glad she restored her hair, i don't care if that's cheating or what, after all this time with long hair, short hair was a no no.

Either way, as i said above, i accept i am likely the minority on this show who doesn't mind it lol, i imagine a few will likely still drop it, but hey, we all have our own thing.

Hmm i don't really think that is the point though. How often have you in life wished someone was dead or that something equally as bad happened, regardless if you was 5 or 15 or 50, we have all uttered them words at some point for some trivial reason - Her comments about this woman to me wasn't literal death threats as much as it was a pissed girl who had a unwanted hair cut.
As for the comparison, one thing i think many overlooked with the lord is, she couldn't free the slave or kill the lord, she is still just a person. If we write away killing the lord for now and focus on freeing the slave, well i still don't see that ending well. Their country clearly didn't have such laws against slaves so it's no different from her taking a child or stealing, a crime is a crime, freeing a slave might sound good but she could of been committing a serious crime in doing so, maybe it's just how i see the show (i never expected a "moral of the story" show) but i felt the reality of that story was she simply couldn't do anything to help that kid without effectively risking making it worse for her (doing anything to help her could only have reflected worse in the future), her best bet would of been to take her with her which could be seen as theft or kidnapping depending how the lord viewed the slave, either way it would turn her into a criminal, which whilst many over look this, Elaine makes it known she is a traveller, not a saint.
I think the hair anger just was a temporary spit of rage, I'm not saying she is a good person but i would be a liar to say i have never got angry about something i felt it was a bit far (though i can't fix a issue with magic).

I'm not defending her - i accept i am the minority who doesn't think she is that bad for being a bit selfish and catering to number one first and only getting involved when it suits her, sure it means she is no angel but hey, i probably wouldn't be so different myself.

I can't agree on few points:

1) If I would imagine myself being asleep and my brother would give me a slight haircut (Look even at Elaina's haircut. She could have ended much worse if the doll girl wanted to! Her haircut was pretty regular and acceptable all in all, even though it wasn't wanted), sure, I would wake up with "Oh, he is so dead!" or similar quote, but obviously I wouldn't ever kill him. However she repeated that at least 3 times during the show, so either she is constantly megapissed or she doesn't mean it as a joke. Yes, the hair cut was done by someone unknown, so it makes matters a bit more concerning, however she heard from the street that it happens very commonly there so she could have expected it to some extent. Not only she didn't prepare for it really, in contrast with her I can't conjure my hair back. I still feel the repetition of death threats for a haircut is far out of place.

2) I am not supporting the idea to kill the village lord, however I think in my eyes he deserves the death penalty for a very suggested rape of Nino much more than does the doll maker for a haircut. I am also not drawing any scenarios how she should approach the slave problem, but the approach towards the haircut in comparisson to that seems so off. It makes so little sense being very mad about such a small trouble which can be easily restored and be almost oblivious to someone's ill fate and lack of sentiment towards someone who had no justice in life. The only thing I wanted is a different mix of reactions or emotions from Elaina's side.

I don't agree so much here, she seems nice on the surface but it's the Robin Hood syndrome, sure she profits and gives it away but she still steals what isn't hers, in this instance she steals hair, sure it weird and not harmful by right but i doubt many people would be happy to wake one morning sporting a new unwanted hair cut because some crazy doll enthusiast down the road is a bit gone in the head. Equally, it seems to me she only gave her proceeds away to the poor to fund her obsessive issue with facial expressions, it was just a rather crummy version of selfishness to me. I still think she was the villain, a crime is a crime, even if it's rather small in scale.

1) This is not Robin Hood syndrome, since she would have to steal from the rich to justify that. She doesn't do that, she does regular charity.

2) She does a criminal act, I agree, there is no defense. I was merely pointing out:
a) If she wasn't that psychotic, only being generaly happy seeing people being happy, I could not be so condemning.
b) Her "crime" when compared to the intention of see people happy and give money to the poor hardly deserves any jail or death sentence. Do you think you would go to jail for running to someone on the street and cut off a piece of their hair? You would be a weirdo, you would get a fine and probably a slap and then probably a warning. It is so far fetched.

Episode 8... this was on track to be a decent story, but no we gotta fuck every thing up.
Since it's an anthology, I go into each episode thinking "different writer, different creative team" so anything is possible. When this story stared, I was getting that creepy doll vibe from everyone, conflicting "witness" stories, hard boiled smoking detective witch, The Night Witch is a badass title, too! It had all the ingredients for a solid story. Even when the ripper was just a hair thief, it still was alright, just not as high stakes as a murder mystery. Then it quickly took a left turn nose dive into stupidity and an "attempt" at comedy.
I think I'm mad at this one the most because it had potential.
I just don't any original thought to waste on this one.

Back