Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina

Here for both the ABC and EDS group-watches.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. I had no problem with Elaina's brazen and somewhat narcissistic personality - she was cute, but doesn't have that "cutesy" personality that most characters of her type possess. If anything that what made me admire her (though she should've kept the short hairstyle she had in Episode 8). The final episode was pretty interesting with all of her different personalities coming together, and with Elaina making peace with her angry self she finally accepted the fate that happened to her at the end of Episode 9. I liked the diary format that the series used to tell Elaina's story.

Here for EDS groupwatch

This was a nice story to see how she became the wandering witch and the kind of adventures she went on.

Here for an EDS Groupwatch.

I very much enjoyed this show - until the last episode. I enjoy the wandering aspect and the magic. The relationships between characters and the towns. How it wasnt all happy go lucky. There were hardships and stories that I didnt want her to move on from yet, but it is what it is with episodic shows. It reminds me of Kino's Journey.

I did not like the last episode. In my opinion it would have been better without the last episode.

Here for an EDS groupwatch!

What a beautiful battle scene. The story itself felt like it was flying by and it felt like I was only watching for a few minutes until the episode was over. I almost was worried the parents were sabatoging their daughter so she never left. That they wanted her to give up on witchcraft all together. Thankfully, it wasn't the case and they just hoped it would hope to humble her, still could have ended very badly so probably not the best idea.

I liked how this show does the travel so far (I know this is the first new land but still - it works so far!) I can see why JordasJas says this seems like Kino's Journey because wow it does. It helps that I watched that show a few days ago but it had the same flow and cumulation. I felt for the girl but appreciated Elaina not babying her once she figured things out. She said what she would need to hear and dipped so the girl could grow on her own.

Whew, both of these stories are VERY dark in nature. I was sort of shocked to see Elaina just leave the brother there for the first hald of the episode but the guards words basically set in stone that they are too far gone when they get to that flowerbed. For the second half, as soon as he showed her the positive moments I knew it was going to have an awful reaction to it. Sure people are happy in the outside, but she isnt on the outside. She's stuck serving someone who abuses her. Hearing Elaina say she will never know what happens to her made me a bit disappointed but then when she said she wouldn't want to know... ya know... same. I don't see a happy ending there.

I love that this show has already made me try to figure out the mystery before it is revealed. So of course my mind was going a mile a minute. Is she the princess like the note says? Is she the baby of the princess and the cook? Was the story genderbent for necessary confusion for the viewers? By the end of this episode... jeez I don't know what to think. Clearly she was corrupted by grief and hatred but the level of her mental break/what she caused on others was excessive. The show so far is very bingeworthy but at episodes like this I think I need to take a break just to kinda process it. Thats a positive for the show, for it to do that to me.

Seeing her old teacher made me very happy. Its also helped show how long Elaina has been traveling, even just 1/3 into the show. She says it has been years and yet she looks like she has barely aged. I'm sure thats just an aspect of magic that hasn't been outright stated, but it does make me feel kinda smart noticing it.

A needed episode over the misguided efforts to make a kingdom better in a unknowingly terrible way. I did enjoy that the citizens adapted in ways to counteract the magic. As soon as Elaina touched on the silence of the people I had to smile. I do wish well for the witch who used her voice as collateral. Hopefully she can mesh back into the palace to help the king.

The first half of the episode was good, but it was the second half that kept my attention Can the dub please stop saying "step lovingly on our grapes" its embarrassing lol. It was funny to see Elaina get frustrated since her usual is calm, collected, and even a little jaded. At least the groups acknowledged it was a fetish and not something bigger than that. Elaina is the lightest drunk in the world and I really think she needs to avoid wine from now on.

What a masochist. This episode was a strange one, and the nation as well. The dependence on dolls was never explained. It would have been funny if she had a trick to make the people crave the dolls and it was all a plot to see their happy emotions often but it didnt seem that was the case. Just a quirk of the country that was never explained.

While I knew from her explination that the true killer was her childhood friend (way too violent a crime/similar to how the uncle died) it was still nonetheless awful to see come to light. To only have Elaina come to terms with the aftermath was also difficult to witness. Hearing the broken mind of the other witch was rough but Elaina is definitely the one most affected by all this.

And like with episodes 4-5, we follow the trend of the show putting a less intense episode after a very dark one. It was nice to see the backstory of the two teachers and it was VERY nice to not have to think about Episode 9 very much. I think it was a little sus that their teacher looks and has the same VA as Elaina, but I don't think its anything more than convenience for that. It makes the Stardust Witch's decision to name Elaina after her hair color much more understandable.

It was nice to meet Saya's sister, after hearing about her in episode 2. The body swap/love potion plot was very silly and a little out of place thanks to the last few episodes that focused on Elaina. But the final minutes of the episode, with the heart to heart with the teacher, made me really enjoy this episode.

This felt like an episode out of left field. It had big OVA vibes to it. Each version of Elaina was a heightened personality trait that led to some silly interactions between them all. The three dark sides is a pet theory of mine that they are the darkness after each majorly dark episode (so 4, 8, and 9). Still, even with the final moral of this episode, I don't think the show deserved this to be the finale. I would have much preferred this episode to be an OVA, as previously mentioned, and let the show end with her talking to her teacher and coming to a decision about still traveling.

It was a great show and I definitely see the hype behind it. I enjoy the traveling protagonist type shows I'm figuring out, I can't wait to see more from this title if it gets made <3

It really bugs me when a show tries to pass off abusive behaviour as tough love. So MC does menial housework for a month, never complains, at most is a little grumpy, ocassionally asks if she can actually learn anything.

As a reward, she gets beaten within an inch of her life, is left in tears, and we try to pass this off as "wow! now she knows how tough the world is! what a great learning experience!" This is like the shitty teaching in karate kid taken to the extreme, like if Jackie Chan just beat up Jaden Smith as part of his training. Abusive behaviour, very creepy.

Back