The Girl From the Other Side: Siuil, a Run OVA

This was a lovely little slice of melancholy. There is beauty even in the most tragic emotions.

This was honestly so great it makes me want to read the manga. It's also kind of interesting looking at the director's stuff which seems to just solely be artsy fartsy experimental shorts.

I wonder if Wit is testing the waters with this artsy OVA before they do a full series like this, like they did with Magus Bride.

Last edited:
I really hope I'm wrong but this had a creepy story and very pedophilic theme, which made me cringe.
I haven't read the manga so I don't know the whole story but it's just creepy to me,am I wrong?

I really hope I'm wrong but this had a creepy story and very pedophilic theme, which made me cringe.
I haven't read the manga so I don't know the whole story but it's just creepy to me,am I wrong?
I do get what your saying, but in the manga, he is like a father figure to the girl and its a really sweet father-daughter relationship. I feel like the anime adaptation, though it is good, is far too short and does not portray the true plot clearly. I really do hope they make a series!

The Girl For The Other Side is the only manga I've ever read off the bat solely from looking at the initial volume cover (bought the first 2 volumes online as a result), and it's shaping to be my 2nd favorite manga yet. Something about the presentation, especially after witnessing Volume 3 recently, leaves me with a emotional response I've never quite felt, and can't even properly describe yet. For as simple as the story is, the themes of tragedy, innocence and parenthood and its melancholic portrayal is something I've rarely experienced as strongly.

The fault I had, however, is that the art style was so bleak and impactful, I feel like, similar to Tokyo Ghoul, the material would be, simply put, unadaptable. The B&W art coupled with the simple yet somehow dense imagery feels impossible to replicate faithfully.

Thank the Lord Almighty, Wit Studio actually proved me wrong.

I thought the OVA was breathtaking. Not only does the art manage to be just as unique as the manga, but the approach to the story takes great imagery from the original source, yet it kind of tells a new story in comparison. I mean, it's not a direct retelling of points in the manga. It took a kind of creative liberty that I vastly appreciated, because it gave me a similar yet new experience like the original did. Heck, it was only 10 minutes, but it got me incredibly teary-eyed in the end. A big round of kudos there.

To me, this OVA is my favorite I've come across to date.

I do get what your saying, but in the manga, he is like a father figure to the girl and its a really sweet father-daughter relationship. I feel like the anime adaptation, though it is good, is far too short and does not portray the true plot clearly. I really do hope they make a series!

I see, thanks a bunch for your explanation :)

To be completely fair, this "adaptation" was more of an animation test for the animators at WIT, they were trying something out.

Back