Skip and Loafer

I was debating whether to watch this but then I see there actually is a trans character in the cast. Might give it a go

Yeah, trans parental/guardians don't really exist in anime. Nao is great in my book and how they handle her getting misgendered is with a good deal of care and subtlety than going over the top with it.

I debate Nao's fashion sense, though. I think the first outfit Mitsumi had looked good...of course I'm an old man, so what do I know about teenage fashion.

So, the one who
overcompensated for her low self-esteem by internally projecting superiority so that she could trick herself into acting as "cool" as she thinks she should or needs to be
sucks, but the one who
overcompensated for her low self-esteem by internally projecting victimhood so that she could trick herself into thinking she isn't at all responsible for her social hang-ups
doesn't.

Interesting.

Well, to each his own.

So, the one who
overcompensated for her low self-esteem by internally projecting superiority so that she could trick herself into acting as "cool" as she thinks she should or needs to be
sucks, but the one who
overcompensated for her low self-esteem by internally projecting victimhood so that she could trick herself into thinking she isn't at all responsible for her social hang-ups
doesn't.

Interesting.

Well, to each his own.
...I don't even know what you're going on about. I like the shy girl because she's a neurotic and adorable basketcase who is trying to come out of her shell, while Egashira is just a jerk. Like it's not that complicated.

I like the shy girl because she's a neurotic and adorable basketcase who is trying to come out of her shell, while Egashira is just a jerk.
You prefer one over the other--as do I. That's fine.

But the one you don't like is doing the same thing from the other direction, is my point. The difference between the two is...well, I think it would be downplaying things to call the difference superficial, but I'd say it's just a matter of details.

So, what I find interesting is that because one is outgoing, stylish, and quietly judgmental...but the other is introverted, unfashionable, and quietly judgmental...you say one deserves contextualizing character descriptions and the other to be dismissed as a jerk.
Which, if I may be allowed to get all English-major on this for a moment, is a particularly relevant notion, given the theme of the episode.

I think the giant circle of character parallels between the members of the cast is probably the strongest aspect of the show. But maybe you don't see them structurally operating in that way.

Yeah, I'm not getting into one of those endless reply chains you like to do. I like Glasses Girl, I don't like Egashira. That's all.

I hadn't realized how appropriate the title of this series was until this episode, since every week I want to skip sections and loaf around with others.

Ep 4 was a mixed bag, which is true of every week, but I think I felt the weight of it much more, this time around, if only because enough of the weak side of the show has built up to become...well, not unforgivable, but perhaps unignorable, leading to the all-important question of: is it worth the investment?

I dunno. It's got another week, certainly, but...I'm not sure there's anything to be gained from going 12 episodes alternating between simple-yet-rewarding character interactions and useless-water-treading "character" "interactions." (Even if there are genuinely funny beats littered throughout both of these scenarios.)

Or:

I liked the first part, but not the second part. I laughed at the blanking on the quiz and the blushing soccer boy. I scowled at the too-long flashback to dinner with Fumi and...almost literally everything to do with the student council chick.

[shrug]

Mixed bag. And I dunno if it's gonna unmix.

Episode 4
The flashback to eating fried rice and gyoza with her childhood friend was great. Nicely directed too.

This kind of scene can feel very forgettable or overly dramatic in another show, or even straight up not included in favor of still shots or the characters' describing it instead.

Also nice to learn a bit more about male MC without it getting melodramatic. I feel safe with entrusting the show to not go full dumbo with it in the future by now.

That said, as a whole the episode felt a bit empty. Also everything MC does being spun as the best thing ever is kind of getting on my nerves a bit more ngl. At least when contrasted to how most of the other relevant characters have interesting struggles.

Still, as a feel good show it's pretty decent for now.

I scowled at the too-long flashback to dinner with Fumi and...almost literally everything to do with the student council chick.

Noh! I thought it was a pretty good flashback too! Perhaps my standards are just non-existent after being served turds too much over time. Though I can think of some the potential reasons as to why you dislike it, so understandable still.

Do agree with the student council chick stuff tho. I'd have preferred something else over that section.

Actual MC relevant stuff, or more existing side character stuff would've been better. It felt very filler-ish to have her this episode because I doubt she'll be coming back in future episodes except to cameo during a school festival big scene or something.

Edit: Fixed typos and organized some thoughts a bit better.

Also nice to learn a bit more about male MC without it getting melodramatic
Also everything MC does being spun as the best thing ever is kind of getting on my nerves a bit more ngl. At least when contrasted to how all pretty much all of the other characters have interesting struggles.
Just highlighting that I agree with/like these points--especially with the final point about the comparative struggles of the characters.

Noh! I thought it was a pretty good flashback too! Though I can think of some the potential reasons as to why you dislike it, so understandable still.
Oh, fear not! My complaint was mostly specific to it being too long for the moment the scene was in the middle of having. On its own, I thought it was a very nice flashback and showed us (again) how central Fumi has been to her life. I just wish it had been used maybe when our main girl was worrying over herself by herself, rather than in the midst of a scene predominantly about the person she was talking to.

more existing side character stuff would've been better
Yup.

Adding characters to a working dynamic is a bugaboo of mine--though not always a legit criticism, when I bring it up, I admit. In this case, we have someone we've already met, and I dont think she's going to be heading out to group hangouts at the mall, so it's not like we're playing with the chemistry of the established (such as it is after really only one real outing) cast. But it was, as you say, filler-ish, very much a one-off that could certainly lead to fun things down the line in a Kaguya-style expansion of the world of the story but, for now, served as a momentum killer after a pretty successful first half of the episode.

Relatedly:

The very little we got to see of the supporting cast being a unit was quite strong and full (insofar as something so short can be full of anything) of character stuff, including that Glasses Girl is still somewhat wary of Pretty Girl and that "Phony" Girl is considered ?or at least considers herself) part of the group.

Episode 4.
I've been there. Good food can pull you out of a funk. I still remember after Snoopy died. Mom brought home my favorite thing ever, chicken and dumplings from Cracker Barrel. I tore into those things and cried like a bitch while doing it...too personal? Whatever.

Anyway, her hanging out with Uptight Treasurer Girl was a hoot and half. Sometimes it takes someone with the focus of a squirrel to get you to slow down and just enjoy the sights and such.

Four episodes in, and this is my preferred anime for this season.
This anime seems to have everything working well so far. There is a well-defined cast who work off each other well, the comedy is imaginative and absurd when necessary, the pacing is perfect for the small-scale setting, and I feel much better after watching.
So far, no complaints. I hope this anime keeps going with its streak.

At this point the only reason I'm watching this is because if I drop it later on I'll have this following interaction a hundred times over for years to come:

"hey Nekus have you seen Skip To Loafer? I love it it's so cute and wholesome!"
"Oh, I dropped it after 4 eps"
"Why?? it's so good!"
"Oh well I didn't really care for the characters that much"
"They all get so much development later!"
"well I wasn't having that much fun really and-"
"you have to watch more before you say you don't like it!! I'm sure you'll love it!"

So... yeah.
Also everything MC does being spun as the best thing ever is kind of getting on my nerves a bit more ngl.
Very much this. I mean I agree with also everything else you and @interregnum said, but specifically that.

At this point the only reason I'm watching this is because if I drop it later on I'll have this following interaction a hundred times over for years to come:

"hey Nekus have you seen Skip To Loafer? I love it it's so cute and wholesome!"
"Oh, I dropped it after 4 eps"
"Why?? it's so good!"
"Oh well I didn't really care for the characters that much"
"They all get so much development later!"
"well I wasn't having that much fun really and-"
"you have to watch more before you say you don't like it!! I'm sure you'll love it!"

I stopped trying to appease people who think that way because it's such a colossal waste of time in my experience.

95% of the time the problems I have with the show don't get better, or if they do, it's so marginal and so late in the show that it wasn't worth the time investment.

Why should I waste time slogging through 30 episodes of something waiting for it to get good, cough Gintama cough, when I could've just watched 1-3 shows that are actually good from start to finish instead?

And for the 5% shows that can justify the delay of getting good later, I'd probably revisit them at some point when I can better appreciate it from the start, or just tank the loss because I gained so much enjoyment from the time I saved not watching the rest of the 95% bleh shows.

I stopped trying to appease people who think that way because it's such a colossal waste of time in my experience.
Oh I 100% believe that you're right, but often times I find that watching a dumb show weekly is less annoying than having to explain what you said to fans online. It's the only reason I'm still following AoT to this day despite not having liked the show since s2.

Why should I waste time slogging through 30 episodes of something waiting for it to get good, cough Gintama cough
That's a weird way to spell Black Clover...

In all seriousness though, yeah I agree with Wakasagihime: screw those people, you don't gotta explain shit. If you don't like it then you don't like it.

often times I find that watching a dumb show weekly is less annoying than having to explain what you said to fans online.
Well, given the recent and surprising overlap in our opinions of late, I feel like you're ready to make the jump to being the pouty contrarian in the thread for the hot new show you can plainly see is total, pretentious garbage meant to make plebs feel fancy.

I believe in you, buddy.

anime-thumbs-up.gif

Okay, this is such a cute show! I love the opening and the characters are all really awesome and make the show so much better. The main characters are just adorable and am excited to see what happens.

Back