Skip and Loafer

Really great first episode! The opening is damn quality and its quality is reflected on the rest of the show. Looks great, sounds great and most importantly I give a damn about the characters. Main girl is super easy to like as a MC, super awkward and quirky and it'll be fun to watch her. It has drama as a tag so I would like to see where it goes to stir stuff up. This will be where it makes or breaks the show, in that very mysterious drama tag. Very interested to see where this one goes, as far as episode 1 goes, that's like a solid 9/10 episode for me. Definitely check it out.

...yeah, that'll do.

Cute without being saccharine, light without being empty, fun without unmooring from believability. I like the tone, I like the characters--we're only one episode in, so who knows what that even means, at this point, but this was a first episode that not only pleased me but promised me a show that will continue to do so.

Did it have everything I would want? No.

Did everything it did have turn out to be something I want? Well, no--but it's near enough to "yes" that I think we can say maybe it was. (Though, let's be honest: the animation will never again live up to the short sequence of our supporting cast getting into their school uniforms.)

What else...oh! My favorite detail is the panda hair pin being in her front jacket pocket rather than in her hair. (Her friend from home does the same.)

And the OP had me convinced this was taking place in the After the Rain universe--which some quick research tells me it is not. But I thought it maybe was. From the OP. But it's not.

Anyway. I was hoping this would be good, and I'm glad to say the first episode was a success. It may actually drag me back to some regular anime watching, after many months of not really caring. And, really, isn't that what matters most?

This will be where it makes or breaks the show, in that very mysterious drama tag.
I don't know that I think the possibility of drama (by which I think we all know they mean "past personal tragedy") is where the make-or-break point will be, but I do agree that this show--after just this first episode--is definitely ripe for ye olde "aww, but it started out so well!" syndrome, likely from veering too far from the spirit of the first episode and what made it so much fun. BUT...I promised I'd give up needless skepticism for Lent, this year, so I'm sure we won't need to worry about those cliche TV show pitfalls with this one.

Still, I suppose the only way we'll know is if we keep watching. Which I'm totally doing.

Pretty good first episode, though I'm not sure why exactly this got so hyped so far. Maybe something really interesting will happen? We'll see.

Animations and production values in general were good, characters well characterized for being an episode 1 and it has no real red flags in anything. it didn't even have a single joke that annoyed me or I found too silly. But... It's still missing something. Like... why exactly should I be interested in this? if I didn't know a lot of people love the manga I really wouldn't expect much from this show after this first episode.
Also,
her removing her shoes I can kind of understand but... also removing socks to run... on a normal street is just so dangerous and... just stupid. What a weird scene.
Also also... does any manga reader know the reason for the title? Like.. what does it mean. I genuinely have no idea.

her removing her shoes I can kind of understand but... also removing socks to run... on a normal street is just so dangerous and... just stupid. What a weird scene.
...cough.

Seriously, though, I think running in loafers is a death sentence, generally, so I'm glad she felt the need to ditch them. And, like you, I think running barefoot on the street is nuts. (Though I don't know that socks would help all that much, overall.)

HOWEVER...I'm willing to bet this will eventually be a thing that calls back to our male protagonist's distant memory of a girl he met one summer in his childhood and golly gosh it'll wind up being our girl.

Regardless, true or not, it does come off a bit as a try-hard moment--though I don't have any particular complaints about it. It shows she's odd, it shows he likes that she's odd, yada yada yada. Could probably have been done better.

It's still missing something. Like... why exactly should I be interested in this? if I didn't know a lot of people love the manga I really wouldn't expect much from this show after this first episode.
I agree. Though I didn't know anyone was excited for it. The poster just looked like a show I'd typically watch, which is why I'm here.

So...maybe things are going to get really good. Or maybe it's just really good at whatever this first episode gave us, and that's just something that hit lots of people at the right time. I dunno.

I will say, though, that I am glad I didn't know there was hype around this and was able to enjoy the first episode on my own before hearing this. I think there's enough evidence to glean that I don't typically do well with things lots of other people like, vis a vis anime, so that kind of buzz might have scared me off.

Fingers crossed.

Spoiler: OF COURSE YOU'D PICK THE FOOT SCENE
Hey hey, don't blast me like that. Even if you're 100% right.
HOWEVER...I'm willing to bet this will eventually be a thing that calls back to our male protagonist's distant memory of a girl he met one summer in his childhood and golly gosh it'll wind up being our girl.
God I really hope that this doesn't happen. And I hate how likely it sounds.
Regardless, true or not, it does come off a bit as a try-hard moment--though I don't have any particular complaints about it. It shows she's odd, it shows he likes that she's odd, yada yada yada. Could probably have been done better.
That could just be it yeah.
I will say, though, that I am glad I didn't know there was hype around this and was able to enjoy the first episode on my own before hearing this. I think there's enough evidence to glean that I don't typically do well with things lots of other people like, vis a vis anime, so that kind of buzz might have scared me off.
I can totally see what you mean. I might have also enjoyed this more if I didn't about anyone's expectations.

Hey hey, don't blast me like that. Even if you're 100% right.
LOL.

I was honestly thinking one of you would go for me, so I took the first chance to turn the tables. Before anything was tabled.
God I really hope that this doesn't happen. And I hate how likely it sounds.
No feet, but the OP has a quick moment of the male lead glancing back at what looks an awful lot like a little girl running with a panda decoration on her backpack.

M-Maybe it's metaphorical?

Hmm. Ok.
I dunno how I feel about this one? It wasn't bad. In fact, I'd go outright and say it was pretty good. But nothing really stood out to me that really hooked me. I like the characters and their interactions, and had some good funny. But, nothing really BIG.

Untill she took off her socks and started running bare feet holy shit this woman is insane what is wrong with her. Unless that is the most pristine cemented sidewalk thats going to hurt! Let alone its probably hot from the sun! At least keep the socks on!
No I do not have a thing for socks. And even if I did its only Thigh highs and full leggings and I'm fairly sure those weren't!
Not to mention just blowing absolute chunks over the teacher's new suit. Her fault, honestly.
What else...oh! My favorite detail is the panda hair pin being in her front jacket pocket rather than in her hair. (Her friend from home does the same.)
...I was wondering where it went.
I'm not sure why exactly this got so hyped so far
Wait--this had hype behind it? Am I living under a rock or?? Genuinely had never heard of it untill about a week ago when I went down the season chart, and watched a trailer for it. Which, by the way honestly had me turbo uninterested in the show after watching it. Was kinda bland.
I'm willing to bet this will eventually be a thing that calls back to our male protagonist's distant memory of a girl he met one summer in his childhood and golly gosh it'll wind up being our girl.
This is so oddly specific and I understand exactly what you mean but somehow can't directly connect it to an actual series off the top of my head.
I was honestly thinking one of you would go for me, so I took the first chance to turn the tables. Before anything was tabled.
In absolute honesty when I saw that scene and checked the discussion, I had the pleasure of seeing you were already in here. For 1 being that we meet so soon this season in a thread, and 2 being "there was a feet scene" and I was ready to bust out my swiftest feet joke. Alas, I was a little late.

Very different show.

...anyway.
we meet so soon this season in a thread
It is funny that we only just had a passing chat about this a couple of days ago. Here's hoping things work out for this show so that we can all keep on keepin' on with it. I mean, I'm seeing some of my favorite names I haven't chatted with in what feels like forever. (Which probably means a couple of months, but that's forever in interweb years!)

I was ready to bust out my swiftest feet joke
What a mercurial statement.

...because Mercury had swift feet?

Thigh highs
anime-fate.gif

Y'all in the thread seem to be talking about how the show seems solid and decent so far but is lacking a massive hook(?) of sorts. For me the massive hook is that the show executed lots of small aspects at a very good level.

The gags and jokes are just right for a light romance/high school/coming of age type of story. Nothing crazy to kill the atmosphere and still funny (very important part a lot of shows just ignore when they decide to include comedy).

The characters are cute and identifiable while not being over the top or cartoonishly two dimensional so far.

And the exposition is BOMB. I just LOVE the very subtle hints the show drops at us through the MC's family and friends. They all are in on how silly and delusional MC is, but they entertain her while keeping a loving and watchful eye over her. Most shows would just stop at the personal monologue MC had (which was already pretty good at showing us how naive MC is) or at the end part of the episode where all of the family and friends are talking to each other about MC.

Any one of these individual aspects would get me to have an alright time with the show, but combined together in a nice cake is getting me a bit pumped. I don't need anything else for a high school show. Just basic things executed at a high level is great stuff to watch. A basic idea done well is always a hundred times better than an interesting and complex idea executed poorly.

That said, I am concerned that the show could get a bit melodramatic and silly with it's character interactions later down the line. The potential for good and evil are both there right now, so I'm not holding my breath.

Still a good 1st ep for me though.

This show's a pleasant surprise for me. I'm a bit wary about how it'll develop, but it has potential and seems to be working with a solid baseline.

Episode 1
Honestly, I was drawn in by the soft art style and someone describing it as a slice of life

I was shocked when she pulled off her socks. Her shoes I can understand, but running barefoot is tough if you don't have callouses. I guess she didn't want to get her socks dirty cause they're white and it would be more visible ?

Ngl I laughed so hard when she puked on the teacher. Not a good way to start the school year for either of them

Hoping the girl sitting behind her didn't just befriend her because of the boy

Aww, man, I was really hoping it wasn't so. Poor MC
The saving grace is that she probablyyy will become her close friend in the long run.

Or things will sort themselves out one way or another to a reasonable resolution.

Orrr the show goes to trash and creates ridiculous amounts of love triangle melodrama... But I'm hopeful for now.

Back