Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle

I thought the first episode had some flaws, but it did leave my intrigued for the next one, so it filled its role.

Episode 1:
Pros: There seems to be an established storyline. It's obvious the "Queen of Light" and "Prince of Darkness" will interact and fall in love at some point. This all seems like a Romeo and Juliet setup, which while common, isn't necessarily bad. The character designs are ok, nothing special but adequate.

Cons: The dialogue between our main protagonist and Skears was awkward. The "fight" afterwards was as well. It felt like the writers were going for memorable quotes instead of generally solid conversation.

Last edited:
Episode 1
Romeo and Juliet vibes coming off of this one with the Queen and the Prince, representing a faction vying for rule over the other. Pretty brutal start to the show though, with the 'Prince' getting his entire village wiped out by beasts, going so far as to have a worm critter eat that brave little kid. A little bit of world building, but maybe they'll build upon it later.

Episode 2
(Sorry I'm still getting acclimated with the spoiler tag a bit)

Pros: I viewed the gacha story the anime is based off last week, and naturally a 1 hour 40 minute story will leave some unexplained questions. The anime answers some of those in regards to the Prince of Darkness and his training. The anime does also set up an obvious plot point for episode 3. We'll see the Prince of Darkness take on one of his challengers.

Cons: I'm terribly confused of Bahl's role. I'm guessing he's the chaotic 3rd party, because in the gacha story he faces the King of Darkness, and in episode 2 he battles the Queen of Light. Also, why does he flee when the Queen of Light refuses to use more of the rune's power? Is he only a battle-seeking brute? The dialogue again is awkward. I cringed a bit at the interaction between Groza and the Prince, because it felt like the writers were going for some romantic feelings for Groza, which I don't remember in the gacha story.

I got about 10 mins into this, but it took me 10 seconds to initially spot a poor generic exposition introduction and terrible low budget visuals.

There is nothing redeeming about this show, every element from the character types, and story-line has been done to death, and done much better than here...

dropped after half an episode........

Last edited:
I got about 10 mins into this, but it took me 10 seconds to initially spot a poor generic exposition introduction and terrible low budget visuals.

There is nothing redeeming about this show, every element from the character types, and story-line has been done to death, and done much better than here...

dropped after half an episode........

I don't like to use hype to determine quality, but I wonder if that's why this series arrived with almost no one talking about it, and no one building up any momentum for it, as if it was expected to be mediocre at best.

I don't like to use hype to determine quality, but I wonder if that's why this series arrived with almost no one talking about it, and no one building up any momentum for it, as if it was expected to be mediocre at best.

well hype certainly makes more people watch, but it doesn't swing opinions ...........at least it doesn''t seem to swing opinions favorably, to me it seems like people are drawn to hyped shows to pick them apart.

As for me and this show, I just scan everything that's airing, and decide what I'll try to watch by the cover art and the cover art alone, I go in not knowing the premise, or how many ppl are watching.. To me this show just feels....................cheap.

I don't even know what this is... is it reverse harem? Guess I'll find out...

OP was good... hope the actual anime can keep up.

It kept up.

So I guess it's some kind of Romeo & Juliet meets action fantasy? Whatever it was, it was pretty good.

Episode 3
Pros: We got a backstory for the Queen of Light and how she came to the throne. We also get an insight in to how she feels after the battle in episode 2. It seems like she's suffering from trauma afterwards. The episode also gives us a preview potentially our first interaction between the Prince of Darkness and Queen of Light in episode 4. This anime is pretty good at leaving intriguing cliffhangers.

Cons: The battle sequences for this anime are rough. I like that some backstory was added to the Prince of Darkness and the challengers he defeated, but it felt rushed, and the fighting was mediocre. Also, why did Groza shout "Watch out" when there was still one more challenger besides Adel and the Prince? I get that she seems to have feelings for the Prince, but as supposedly the overseer of the battle royale, you'd think she'd stay neutral.

Episode 4
Pros: Well, I asked if Bahl was the chaotic neutral, and it looks like we have our answer. Light and Darkness seem to have formed an alliance to defeat Bahl, who is looking more and more like our main antagonist. I like the tension this episode had between Faios and Adel, and it made their dialogue interesting to follow.

Cons: Those foot soldiers under Groza are annoying. I'm guessing they're comic relief, but they fail miserably in their role if that's the case. Their designs are also bland, with the only difference being their eyebrows. I get that maybe their lack of difference between each other could show their insignificance, but even so it just bugs me.

TBD: One thing I noticed is that the anime seems to be straying a little from the source material. In the original gacha story, Adel is revealed as a traitor and tries to cut down the Queen of Light and is subsequently killed by the prince, but he didn't do that this time, nor does the episode 5 preview give any hint of him being a traitor. Now, I'm hesitant to put this in pro or con for now, but it's definitely something to watch for future episodes.

Episode 5
Pros: We got to see Valas and Groza in action against Bahl, and some of their powers and techniques. The anime also gave us a brief glimpse at the King of Darkness, and the demise of Bahl, who I was mistaken in calling the main antagonist. The main antagonist doesn't get defeated in episode 5.

Cons: This was not my favorite episode. The battle against Bahl was not done well in my opinion. Some of the animation was rough, the my goodness was the dialogue in this episode poor. There were so many cliche and predictable responses, some awkward pauses where dialogue seemed forced, it's clear conversation is not the strong suit of this anime.

TBD: I'm still not ready to put the straying from the source material in pro or con. Episode 6 gives no sign of Adel being a traitor either, and in fact the episode 6 preview showcases him and Faios exchanging gear. That was definitely not something in the source material. I'm guessing a scene like that will be done for comedic effect, so we'll see if it succeeds in that role.

I’m not being facetious in not seeing the connection between the description and the actual story, am I? I can only assume that ‘s the Gacha’s story or something along those lines?

I’m enjoying this in a passive way. One of those anime I’m not compelled to sit and pay attention to every second but which entertains me for 25mins every week. I like the set up and the way we kept flipping between dark and light before they came together but think it could have a little more finesse.

For no raisin!
I'ma firin' muh lazor!
The battle was kinda cool looking. Ended too soon when light girl showed up though.

Yeah, she does got it goin' on. I get it bro.

Episode 6
Pros: I guess it was light-hearted episode, not much else positive.

Cons: This episode was loaded with fanservice. And it was boring. Maybe it's supposed to symbolize the peace between light and dark, and how everything is at the highest of highs, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a boring episode that was essentially filler. I had trouble getting halfway through it because the pacing was so slow. I understand that when one of your primary antagonists is defeated 5 episodes in that limits your options a bit, but seriously the writers could've done better than this. As one of the comments above said, the contrast in splitting each episode in half to focus on dark and light equally is part of what made it a bit enjoyable. This is now 2 episodes in a row however where that structure has been removed in place of 20 or so minutes of mediocrity. My expectations for the rest of the series are very low.

Back