Review the Song

This is some classic awesome psychedelic rock. Pretty Things were one of the first psychedelic rock bands I ever heard and remains one of my personal favorites from the genre to this day.

Song and the album has that psychedelic aesthetic nailed perfectly. Those added eastern music influences and instruments like sitar throughout the song enhances the psychedelic feeling and kind of remind me of Sgt. Peppers in a good way . Every member of the band does amazing job and I honestly don't have anything to add beyond that. This is one heck of a song from amazing record.

I must add that it feels odd to hear this as a standalone track. I always have listened S.F Sorrow as a full album and never tried to listen single song outside of it unlike with many other concept albums like The Wall or Pet Sounds. So this is kinda weird experience for me.

---
Next:

When I think a rock band that comes up with BIG concept albums, my mind always goes to the who classics. Like this album Tommy and their other one Quadrophenia which is my favourite one, concept wise. Tommy is a pretty influential rock opera album and you gotta enjoy your rock with stories. Keith Moon's rolling drum beat on this song is just sensational and this song feels quite ferocious in general with that rolling intensity. Meanwhile the vocals sound as powerfully dramatic as they could be. This is a great song from the Who.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
When I think a rock band that comes up with BIG concept albums, my mind always goes to the who classics. Like this album Tommy and their other one Quadrophenia which is my favourite one, concept wise. Tommy is a pretty influential rock opera album and you gotta enjoy your rock with stories. Keith Moon's rolling drum beat on this song is just sensational and this song feels quite ferocious in general with that rolling intensity. Meanwhile the vocals sound as powerfully dramatic as they could be. This is a great song from the Who.

---
Next Song:

My ex-flatmate had this album and among his more prog-oriented stuff I liked this one a great deal. It's great proto hard rock with a huge blues infusion and garage atmosphere. The band consisted of Vanilla Fudge members which pretty much explains the raw approach here, themselves masters of hard psych blues. Not much else to say, I love my roots of hard rock and can't say no to a sound and singing style like this. Also damn, never knew their singer went out like that. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

------------------------

My ex-flatmate had this album and among his more prog-oriented stuff I liked this one a great deal. It's great proto hard rock with a huge blues infusion and garage atmosphere. The band consisted of Vanilla Fudge members which pretty much explains the raw approach here, themselves masters of hard psych blues. Not much else to say, I love my roots of hard rock and can't say no to a sound and singing style like this. Also damn, never knew their singer went out like that. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

------------------------

Tfw Schizm picks the best track on this album. Beastie boys must be spammed forever in this thread Schizm! FOREVER. There is no combination more genius to me than blending punk and hip hop, which these guys have always done so damn well. It really makes sense too, since they originally had roots in hardcore punk before becoming a dope hip hop act. This tune is savage AS FUCK. GONNA CAP SOME MOTHERFUCKERS TO THIS. It's hard to really think of many hip hop acts that have as beats as good as the beastie boys honestly.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Tfw Schizm picks the best track on this album. Beastie boys must be spammed forever in this thread Schizm! FOREVER. There is no combination more genius to me than blending punk and hip hop, which these guys have always done so damn well. It really makes sense too, since they originally had roots in hardcore punk before becoming a dope hip hop act. This tune is savage AS FUCK. GONNA CAP SOME MOTHERFUCKERS TO THIS. It's hard to really think of many hip hop acts that have as beats as good as the beastie boys honestly.

----
Next Song:

Met this song so many times in Songpop, but totally ignored it was released half a century ago, I thought it was about a decade later. Well, this makes sense because as music, lyrics, attitude, it was ahead of its time and a forerunner of the punk genre. A good one.

----

Next:

[/QUOTE]

Met this song so many times in Songpop, but totally ignored it was released half a century ago, I thought it was about a decade later. Well, this makes sense because as music, lyrics, attitude, it was ahead of its time and a forerunner of the punk genre. A good one.

----

Next:

Type-O is one of those goth metal bands that rock HARD, as this song proves. Jesus it's so heavy it's fucking amazing, while being filled with loads of atmosphere and pretty synths that shine. The shouted vocals also punch you right in the damn face with how wild they sound. This is definitely one of their best songs.

----
Next Song:

Type-O is one of those goth metal bands that rock HARD, as this song proves. Jesus it's so heavy it's fucking amazing, while being filled with loads of atmosphere and pretty synths that shine. The shouted vocals also punch you right in the damn face with how wild they sound. This is definitely one of their best songs.

----
Next Song:

It's like Moldy Peaches doing a Beatles song or something only tripping on shrooms. Is that a reverse sitar I hear? Well after that it turns into a fun lo-fi psych garage piece with earpiercing guitar leads. The drums are pretty cool too and the lullaby-like outro fits the children's rhyme feel I associate with the quieter moments of the song. Far from Gens' weirdest shit but interesting.

---------------------

It's like Moldy Peaches doing a Beatles song or something only tripping on shrooms. Is that a reverse sitar I hear? Well after that it turns into a fun lo-fi psych garage piece with earpiercing guitar leads. The drums are pretty cool too and the lullaby-like outro fits the children's rhyme feel I associate with the quieter moments of the song. Far from Gens' weirdest shit but interesting.

---------------------

George fucking THOROGOOD. I have damn good nostalgic memories of b-b-b-bad to the boooooooooooooooone, which I'm sure everyone has heard. He has the perfect amount of gravely blues swagger in his voice and you can't say no to these kind of grooves. It's fiery shit with that fierce guitar playing and Thorogood knows his fucking way around an awesome slide guitar, SLIDDEEeeee guiiiiitaaar is the bestest in blues music. One day I will learn how to play badass slide guitar, one day. They've done some really good covers on good old fashioned blues tunes. It's just fun stuff to hear while you're drinking.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
George fucking THOROGOOD. I have damn good nostalgic memories of b-b-b-bad to the boooooooooooooooone, which I'm sure everyone has heard. He has the perfect amount of gravely blues swagger in his voice and you can't say no to these kind of grooves. It's fiery shit with that fierce guitar playing and Thorogood knows his fucking way around an awesome slide guitar, SLIDDEEeeee guiiiiitaaar is the bestest in blues music. One day I will learn how to play badass slide guitar, one day. They've done some really good covers on good old fashioned blues tunes. It's just fun stuff to hear while you're drinking.

----
Next Song:

I'm totally not an expert of '60s or' 70's music (I'm way more into the 80's and 90's) and it wasn't the first time I listened to this, but I forgot it just as the fairytale it probably references in the opening lyric. It's not my cup of tea all in all but the instrumentation is fine, the vocals improve as the song goes on also because of the backing female voice and I like that it doesn't seem to talk about physical love according to the author

Next:
[/QUOTE]

I'm totally not an expert of '60s or' 70's music (I'm way more into the 80's and 90's) and it wasn't the first time I listened to this, but I forgot it just as the fairytale it probably references in the opening lyric. It's not my cup of tea all in all but the instrumentation is fine, the vocals improve as the song goes on also because of the backing female voice and I like that it doesn't seem to talk about physical love according to the author

Next:

Faith no more was pretty much one of the defining 90s alternative rock acts. Still have my copy of angel dust somewhere around here and this album. Mike Patton is one of the craziest dudes when it comes to quirky experimentation. This isn't my favourite song from this band, but it's still pretty nice with the backing vocals giving it atmosphere.

----
Next Song:

Faith no more was pretty much one of the defining 90s alternative rock acts. Still have my copy of angel dust somewhere around here and this album. Mike Patton is one of the craziest dudes when it comes to quirky experimentation. This isn't my favourite song from this band, but it's still pretty nice with the backing vocals giving it atmosphere.

----
Next Song:

Well, if this isn't one epic guitar introduction... Even when he goes on singing with the music stopped, it's a good effect. The ending is so psychedelic even if I think there was no lsd or similar involved, just talent. I also enjoy the Cure cover from 1993

[/QUOTE]

Well, if this isn't one epic guitar introduction... Even when he goes on singing with the music stopped, it's a good effect. The ending is so psychedelic even if I think there was no lsd or similar involved, just talent. I also enjoy the Cure cover from 1993

Back to School but better. I never understood why two versions of this song exist but this one is a lot more atmospheric and I prefer the slower pace. Could have done without the intro, stuff like that mostly comes off as pretentious to me. White Pony is a pretty accomplished Deftones album but it's also the only one I've really listened to. Chino's vocal style is hit or miss for me and it's often too melancholic overall. Love the guitars in this band though.

-----------------------
Remember Crazy Taxi?

Back to School but better. I never understood why two versions of this song exist but this one is a lot more atmospheric and I prefer the slower pace. Could have done without the intro, stuff like that mostly comes off as pretentious to me. White Pony is a pretty accomplished Deftones album but it's also the only one I've really listened to. Chino's vocal style is hit or miss for me and it's often too melancholic overall. Love the guitars in this band though.

-----------------------
Remember Crazy Taxi?

Offspring brings back teenage memories for sure. They definitely leaned more on the poppier side of punk with melody but not quite blink 182 pop punk spectrum, there's just enough grit in their music that they're still cool to me. Smash was a defining classic in their career, and hell, that was one of the first albums I ever got as a teenager. They knew how to write solid catchy songs with memorable hooks, making really energy pumping raw youth anthems. They pretty much paved the way with green day for pop punk's emergence into the mainstream audience. Also yeah man, Crazy Taxi was like fucking addictive drugs to me.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Offspring brings back teenage memories for sure. They definitely leaned more on the poppier side of punk with melody but not quite blink 182 pop punk spectrum, there's just enough grit in their music that they're still cool to me. Smash was a defining classic in their career, and hell, that was one of the first albums I ever got as a teenager. They knew how to write solid catchy songs with memorable hooks, making really energy pumping raw youth anthems. They pretty much paved the way with green day for pop punk's emergence into the mainstream audience. Also yeah man, Crazy Taxi was like fucking addictive drugs to me.

----
Next Song:

never knew about them, listening to the first seconds i immediately thought they were british because they reminded me of some late Britpop band style, but i was wrong. So it seems like this is from their only actual studio album. Well, is catchy, fast, has nice guitar riffs, unexpected slower moments, even if the voice doesn't convince me totally

Next:

(i'm sorry, but i won't stop thinking about them for the entire day, plus, that damn bassline...)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nu metal really is just the worst combination of angst, metal and what I'll politely refer to as rap. It takes all the worst elements of rap and metal then adds an layer of immature teenage angst that is just wrong coming from musicians well into their adulthood. I can see how it appeals to a certain audience, but for me this mashup of genres and tone is just laughable. The industrial droning of the instrumentals is reminiscent of some good bands like NiN, but it doesn't have the same finesse or satisfying discordance that makes me feel disconcerted. It's rough and it's edgy and I just want to tell them to shut up and quit whining. Really this just wants me want to go and listen to Trent Reznor for a superior soundscape.

=======================================================================

Synthwave is a hard genre for me to like. Its unabashed faux '80s sensibilities sometimes grind my gears in the worst ways possible, and, as someone who was alive during parts of that decade, they tend to miss when it comes to emulating the harmonics of the time. Everyone wants to be Mitch Murder, but not everyone is cut out to be. It's like retro thrash, actually, but not as execrable.

Thankfully, this does not jump into that bottomless pit of wanting to be Mitch Murder, because while the synths are phat and there is a Steve Stevens-like guitar melody, it manages to cast a wider net of cinema soundtracks. There is some Oldfield in there, some Carpenter, along with a general spirit of the decade, but it's not (only?) an exercise in retro fetishism. Good stuff

______

Synthwave is a hard genre for me to like. Its unabashed faux '80s sensibilities sometimes grind my gears in the worst ways possible, and, as someone who was alive during parts of that decade, they tend to miss when it comes to emulating the harmonics of the time. Everyone wants to be Mitch Murder, but not everyone is cut out to be. It's like retro thrash, actually, but not as execrable.

Thankfully, this does not jump into that bottomless pit of wanting to be Mitch Murder, because while the synths are phat and there is a Steve Stevens-like guitar melody, it manages to cast a wider net of cinema soundtracks. There is some Oldfield in there, some Carpenter, along with a general spirit of the decade, but it's not (only?) an exercise in retro fetishism. Good stuff

______

Truckfighters are a pretty cool desert/stoner band with a jam feel and interesting buildups. I can always appreciate a long song when it actually goes somewhere and the crackling riffs and banging drums at the end sure speak my language while the heavy groove reminds me of Orange Goblin. Love the psychedelic blues vibe with the creamy leads that precede them but when they turn it up later, man is it good.

----------------------

Truckfighters are a pretty cool desert/stoner band with a jam feel and interesting buildups. I can always appreciate a long song when it actually goes somewhere and the crackling riffs and banging drums at the end sure speak my language while the heavy groove reminds me of Orange Goblin. Love the psychedelic blues vibe with the creamy leads that precede them but when they turn it up later, man is it good.

----------------------

This song is so FUCKING energetic and gonzo you can barely contain that guitar attack from them. Everyone knows AC/DC for their big hits, like highway to hell and so fourth, which is still fun and all but this song right here is TRULY exceptional. Where it feels a bit more dangerous and unrestrained in rocking out and focusing less on a big catchy chorus which is AC/DC's usual thing. That soloing also melts my brain.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
This song is so FUCKING energetic and gonzo you can barely contain that guitar attack from them. Everyone knows AC/DC for their big hits, like highway to hell and so fourth, which is still fun and all but this song right here is TRULY exceptional. Where it feels a bit more dangerous and unrestrained in rocking out and focusing less on a big catchy chorus which is AC/DC's usual thing. That soloing also melts my brain.

----
Next Song:

I usually restrain myself from always jumping on Gen's picks these days to not cause another circle jerk but fuck it, this is MC Motherfucking 5.

Just really groundbreaking proto punk from Detroit with such an aggressive edge and energy, this shit must have been such a revelation back then. Legends all around in this band like Wayne Kramer and Fred "Sonic" Smith was just such a fucking beast guitarist with that sharp sound and also married to Patti Smith. Coolest motherfucker not around.

Speaking of motherfucker: Everyone puts motherfucker or similar slurs on their album these days but when MC5 did it back then it caused an absolute public OUTRAGE. These guys just did not give a flying fuck with their anti-establishment views and rocked their hearts out like there was no tomorrow. It really only makes sense that a sound like this came out of Detroit, a city that was already full of motorheads and crazies. Just a wonderful classic genre anthem with power for days. KICK OUT THE JAAAMS MOTHERFUCKER indeed.

------------------

I usually restrain myself from always jumping on Gen's picks these days to not cause another circle jerk but fuck it, this is MC Motherfucking 5.

Just really groundbreaking proto punk from Detroit with such an aggressive edge and energy, this shit must have been such a revelation back then. Legends all around in this band like Wayne Kramer and Fred "Sonic" Smith was just such a fucking beast guitarist with that sharp sound and also married to Patti Smith. Coolest motherfucker not around.

Speaking of motherfucker: Everyone puts motherfucker or similar slurs on their album these days but when MC5 did it back then it caused an absolute public OUTRAGE. These guys just did not give a flying fuck with their anti-establishment views and rocked their hearts out like there was no tomorrow. It really only makes sense that a sound like this came out of Detroit, a city that was already full of motorheads and crazies. Just a wonderful classic genre anthem with power for days. KICK OUT THE JAAAMS MOTHERFUCKER indeed.

------------------

Crowbar. Discovered through Beavis and Butthead some years ago, cool band for all the songs I listened, and this one is included even if probably isn't the strongest. But I can relate to the lyrics even if they're short and the lo-fi feel in recording works. Need to listen to their earlier full albums even more.

Next (a connection is made... quoting Elastica reviewed before) :
[/QUOTE]

Crowbar. Discovered through Beavis and Butthead some years ago, cool band for all the songs I listened, and this one is included even if probably isn't the strongest. But I can relate to the lyrics even if they're short and the lo-fi feel in recording works. Need to listen to their earlier full albums even more.

Next (a connection is made... quoting Elastica reviewed before) :

Funny, I wanted to post A New Level before deciding on Crowbar.

Pantera is still fucking huge to me (except for maybe their glam years) and was the band that eased me into the more extreme metal genres back then. Vulgar is probably their most well-known effort together with Cowboys and it's a fantastic groove/neo-thrash metal record. Fucking Hostile has more of a punk vibe with its relatively short runtime and Phil spitting the vocals like that but Dime makes sure you don't forget this is metal with palm-muted riffing and a rippin' wah solo even though it's a rather normal one by his standards. Just fuck yeah, love this band and album.

RIP Dime & Vinnie

-----------------------------

Back