Review the Song

Funny, I wanted to post A New Level before deciding on Crowbar.

Pantera is still fucking huge to me (except for maybe their glam years) and was the band that eased me into the more extreme metal genres back then. Vulgar is probably their most well-known effort together with Cowboys and it's a fantastic groove/neo-thrash metal record. Fucking Hostile has more of a punk vibe with its relatively short runtime and Phil spitting the vocals like that but Dime makes sure you don't forget this is metal with palm-muted riffing and a rippin' wah solo even though it's a rather normal one by his standards. Just fuck yeah, love this band and album.

RIP Dime & Vinnie

-----------------------------
As some people here may know I just woke on rap and hip-hop only like few years ago. This was mainly due to classics like N.W.A, Notorious BIG and Wu Tang Clan as well as "emo trap" or whatever that one trap subgenre is where everyone is trying to copy Ghostemane, XXXTentacion and Lil Pump is. Ol' Dirty Bastard became familiar to me really soon because Russell Tyrone Jones was the founder of the classic Wu Tang Clan I mentioned before.

Basically all my compliments that apply to Wu Tang apply to Russell's solo career as well. Flow and rhymes great, beat and piano melody is catchy and Jones's voice is really recognizable and the one that I instantly associate with classic rap.

This was also my introduction to Ol' Dirty Bastard and for that reason alone it gets my thumbs up.

---
Next:

As some people here may know I just woke on rap and hip-hop only like few years ago. This was mainly due to classics like N.W.A, Notorious BIG and Wu Tang Clan as well as "emo trap" or whatever that one trap subgenre is where everyone is trying to copy Ghostemane, XXXTentacion and Lil Pump is. Ol' Dirty Bastard became familiar to me really soon because Russell Tyrone Jones was the founder of the classic Wu Tang Clan I mentioned before.

Basically all my compliments that apply to Wu Tang apply to Russell's solo career as well. Flow and rhymes great, beat and piano melody is catchy and Jones's voice is really recognizable and the one that I instantly associate with classic rap.

This was also my introduction to Ol' Dirty Bastard and for that reason alone it gets my thumbs up.

---
Next:

It's not improbable i listened to this song before but without knowing about the band. Almost three minutes of introduction before vocals kick in, with some undeniable variety. It's not too bad overall but i'm not a fan of strings arrangements in general, and here they are way too prominent for my taste. Some bands (Suede, The Verve, Massive Attack) were able to incorporate better in their music, but this for me is not the case. Guitar work is the best part of the song, even if it ends as the song itself a little too abruptly.

Next: (two music videos of the same tune, choose one as you prefer)

[/QUOTE]

It's not improbable i listened to this song before but without knowing about the band. Almost three minutes of introduction before vocals kick in, with some undeniable variety. It's not too bad overall but i'm not a fan of strings arrangements in general, and here they are way too prominent for my taste. Some bands (Suede, The Verve, Massive Attack) were able to incorporate better in their music, but this for me is not the case. Guitar work is the best part of the song, even if it ends as the song itself a little too abruptly.

Next: (two music videos of the same tune, choose one as you prefer)

I respect the hell out of new order and their bassist peter hook, that said this side project isn't that amazing to me. What do you want from me? though is a pretty famous hit single from the band and it's got decent 80s atmosphere. It's fine music for me to put in the background.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
I respect the hell out of new order and their bassist peter hook, that said this side project isn't that amazing to me. What do you want from me? though is a pretty famous hit single from the band and it's got decent 80s atmosphere. It's fine music for me to put in the background.

----
Next Song:

Man that was a weird ride. At least for me. It felt like an unholy marriage between the Pink Panther cartoon theme, Tont Hawk's Pro Skater soundtrack, The Mountain Goats, and Nirvana? Although I have been drinking so maybe or maybe not. It's definitely the background music to every underground teen rave party of the 1990s, ever, that's for sure. (Look man I dont know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to music all I know is if you put this to a music video and there wasn't something skeevy going on in the foreground in a room full of smoke and debauchery I'd be very upset)

Next:

Man that was a weird ride. At least for me. It felt like an unholy marriage between the Pink Panther cartoon theme, Tont Hawk's Pro Skater soundtrack, The Mountain Goats, and Nirvana? Although I have been drinking so maybe or maybe not. It's definitely the background music to every underground teen rave party of the 1990s, ever, that's for sure. (Look man I dont know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to music all I know is if you put this to a music video and there wasn't something skeevy going on in the foreground in a room full of smoke and debauchery I'd be very upset)

Next:
Sabaton is one of those bands that I loved at one point (also helped me to study for my history exams), but haven't been enjoying them that much after Heroes. The Last Stand had some ok songs that I like to listen. And the only song I remember from the new album is Fields of Verdum. Might also have something to do with the slight change of my music and metal preference, but I still like to listen them from time to time.

This song is from one of their best records in my opinion. Song has pretty memorable standard mid-paced heavy metal riff going on with that distinct Sabaton-sound. Joakim Broden's vocals are pretty good in this track as well. Really don't have anything else to say about other instruments except that they do their job in the song. It's your standard catchy Sabaton song, but not my favorite from the album.

---
Next:

Sabaton is one of those bands that I loved at one point (also helped me to study for my history exams), but haven't been enjoying them that much after Heroes. The Last Stand had some ok songs that I like to listen. And the only song I remember from the new album is Fields of Verdum. Might also have something to do with the slight change of my music and metal preference, but I still like to listen them from time to time.

This song is from one of their best records in my opinion. Song has pretty memorable standard mid-paced heavy metal riff going on with that distinct Sabaton-sound. Joakim Broden's vocals are pretty good in this track as well. Really don't have anything else to say about other instruments except that they do their job in the song. It's your standard catchy Sabaton song, but not my favorite from the album.

---
Next:

I was thinking to myself, did Spirit post THE DAUGHTERS? One of my favourite noise rock bands ever? And lo and behold it is them! Their self titled debut album is a pure classic to me in hard hitting gonzo attack that splits your head open. It was a pretty great album but then comes along their next album they made after 8 years and a long ass hiatus. This one's their more atmospheric and brooding masterpiece of despair, utter despair and doom. Those shrill guitar tones giving me a fucking headache every time and the droning pace of the song is just enamoring controlled chaos. Cuts like a bloody knife, I LOVE HELL OUT OF THIS. I doubt Daughters will ever be able to top this album honestly. It's one of the best albums of the decade to me.

--------
Next Song:

I was thinking to myself, did Spirit post THE DAUGHTERS? One of my favourite noise rock bands ever? And lo and behold it is them! Their self titled debut album is a pure classic to me in hard hitting gonzo attack that splits your head open. It was a pretty great album but then comes along their next album they made after 8 years and a long ass hiatus. This one's their more atmospheric and brooding masterpiece of despair, utter despair and doom. Those shrill guitar tones giving me a fucking headache every time and the droning pace of the song is just enamoring controlled chaos. Cuts like a bloody knife, I LOVE HELL OUT OF THIS. I doubt Daughters will ever be able to top this album honestly. It's one of the best albums of the decade to me.

--------
Next Song:

The guitars do a great work all track long, but probably reach their best immediately after the 2 minutes mark (the intro was really good too). The vocals sound epic, the lyrics match with the mood, so i undeniably can tell i liked it. Probably didn't know them until i pushed play on this song (featuring former members of Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple, Johnny Winter, and Rick Derringer? I know, i still don't know much about 70's rock).

Next:
[/QUOTE]

Next:

Y'all hipsters with your oh shit this guitar is banging, some shit I listened to before but never specifically heard of and this bass line is illin. This is comfortable, like something I would listen to way back for the catchy beats, killer chorus, bass that drops pants, and the half-way mark with the strings? That is the shit. That 2/3 part in the song that goes all kickass with different instrumentation and shit? Some of my favorite things in songs. This is just nice listening for me, and definitely something you'd see on MTV, or Retro Lunch nowadays.

The style of it, it's my style.
----------------

Next song, the idea I had that @Gens can confirm.

Y'all hipsters with your oh shit this guitar is banging, some shit I listened to before but never specifically heard of and this bass line is illin. This is comfortable, like something I would listen to way back for the catchy beats, killer chorus, bass that drops pants, and the half-way mark with the strings? That is the shit. That 2/3 part in the song that goes all kickass with different instrumentation and shit? Some of my favorite things in songs. This is just nice listening for me, and definitely something you'd see on MTV, or Retro Lunch nowadays.

The style of it, it's my style.
----------------

Next song, the idea I had that @Gens can confirm.

I've probably mentioned how I love David Bowies music here already. So I'm going to skip that.

Live Santa Monica '72 is really fun live record to listen. It has a really solid track list and it's only downside is that people sometimes start to clap and cheer in the most stupidest times possible in my opinion (Like when in Space Oddity people start cheering and clapping immediately when Bowie starts to sing), but can't really blame anyone but audience from that, and it's not the Hollywood Bowl concert live record from The Beatles levels of unbearable so I can live with it.

Rock 'n' Roll Suicide is one of my personal favorite standalone songs from Bowie. It's catchy as hell and overall just fun to listen in the context of "Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." and as a single song. This live version of it is also amazing. Vocal performance from Bowie is absolutely amazing and instrumentals do really well job as well.

Don't really have much to say about this. Great song from a great live record.

---
Here's a pick from me that won't surprise anyone:

I've probably mentioned how I love David Bowies music here already. So I'm going to skip that.

Live Santa Monica '72 is really fun live record to listen. It has a really solid track list and it's only downside is that people sometimes start to clap and cheer in the most stupidest times possible in my opinion (Like when in Space Oddity people start cheering and clapping immediately when Bowie starts to sing), but can't really blame anyone but audience from that, and it's not the Hollywood Bowl concert live record from The Beatles levels of unbearable so I can live with it.

Rock 'n' Roll Suicide is one of my personal favorite standalone songs from Bowie. It's catchy as hell and overall just fun to listen in the context of "Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." and as a single song. This live version of it is also amazing. Vocal performance from Bowie is absolutely amazing and instrumentals do really well job as well.

---

---

Actually I feel surprise because this is a really fresh release and I recognized almost immediately the drummer in the music video. Good song even if I'm not a progressive music expert, the instrumental introduction takes the right amount of time it needs and the keyboards are the best part of the tune. Can't judge the lyrics because English isn't my mother tongue and they aren't released on the web yet.

Next... hoping I won't be hated but for me this is still funny as it was in 2000.

Actually I feel surprise because this is a really fresh release and I recognized almost immediately the drummer in the music video. Good song even if I'm not a progressive music expert, the instrumental introduction takes the right amount of time it needs and the keyboards are the best part of the tune. Can't judge the lyrics because English isn't my mother tongue and they aren't released on the web yet.

Next... hoping I won't be hated but for me this is still funny as it was in 2000.

Holy shit, now this takes me back. Hooray for Boobies was my introduction to humour in music when Frank Zappa was still a fair bit away and Mope was one of my favourites on it. Was the first time I researched the lyrics to get all the references and catch all the nods and jokes. I mean, who doesn't love a crack-addicted Pac-Man and Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls?

BHG unfortunately declined over the years and most of what came afterwards was lame electro pop rock shit even though the lyrics mostly remained the same. I can still spin the albums up to Hooray for innocent laughs though and they remind me of simpler times like when music videos were still fun.

-------------------------

Holy shit, now this takes me back. Hooray for Boobies was my introduction to humour in music when Frank Zappa was still a fair bit away and Mope was one of my favourites on it. Was the first time I researched the lyrics to get all the references and catch all the nods and jokes. I mean, who doesn't love a crack-addicted Pac-Man and Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls?

BHG unfortunately declined over the years and most of what came afterwards was lame electro pop rock shit even though the lyrics mostly remained the same. I can still spin the albums up to Hooray for innocent laughs though and they remind me of simpler times like when music videos were still fun.

-------------------------

The cover sleeve, the beginning of the song and the lyrics made me think of Type O Negative even if they didn't exist yet in 1984 (yes, I didn't know about T. S. O. L. too before this post) . But it soon becomes another thing on his own and also pretty good, expecially the faster ending that I didn't really expect because of the short length. Also some part of 90's alternative rock seems influenced by this kind of music and I approve

Next:
(my fav song of theirs since Alan Wilder parted ways)

The cover sleeve, the beginning of the song and the lyrics made me think of Type O Negative even if they didn't exist yet in 1984 (yes, I didn't know about T. S. O. L. too before this post) . But it soon becomes another thing on his own and also pretty good, expecially the faster ending that I didn't really expect because of the short length. Also some part of 90's alternative rock seems influenced by this kind of music and I approve

Next:
(my fav song of theirs since Alan Wilder parted ways)

Depeche mode is basically the best synthpop band that ever existed. What I like about them over other synthpop bands is their rather dark flavour to their lyrics and how they tackled more mature subject matter. Of course the singer's voice is very sensual sounding you feel like you're being whisked away on a nice breeze. Ultra isn't their best record in my opinion, but it's still a damn fine one nonetheless.

---
Next Song:

Last edited:
Depeche mode is basically the best synthpop band that ever existed. What I like about them over other synthpop bands is their rather dark flavour to their lyrics and how they tackled more mature subject matter. Of course the singer's voice is very sensual sounding you feel like you're being whisked away on a nice breeze. Ultra isn't their best record in my opinion, but it's still a damn fine one nonetheless.

---
Next Song:

this is an interesting mix-up of genres from the early 90's, such as experimental alternative rock, new jack swing, even if played in a disco of its era it wouldn't have been too out of place. I kinda expected the kind of lyrics i've read and i think they're the only down side of the song.

Next :
(4 years already... i miss him. Also, hard choice between this, Silvergun Superman and Unglued from the same album)

this is an interesting mix-up of genres from the early 90's, such as experimental alternative rock, new jack swing, even if played in a disco of its era it wouldn't have been too out of place. I kinda expected the kind of lyrics i've read and i think they're the only down side of the song.

Next :
(4 years already... i miss him. Also, hard choice between this, Silvergun Superman and Unglued from the same album)

It's really been ages since I listened to STP and purple is basically their best album. They're not usually mentioned with the big 4, but they were still just about as good as them all the same. I always liked Scott Weiland as a vocalist and their sound was really more inspired by like classic/hard rock bands of the past. Pretty great energy with this song.

----
Next Song:

It's really been ages since I listened to STP and purple is basically their best album. They're not usually mentioned with the big 4, but they were still just about as good as them all the same. I always liked Scott Weiland as a vocalist and their sound was really more inspired by like classic/hard rock bands of the past. Pretty great energy with this song.

----
Next Song:
Now this is my jam.

I remember reviewing Bathory here before and praising the hell out of band and Quorthon. So once again I will skip that part. All you need to know that Bathory is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Viking metal-era Bathory just kicks ass so much. And this rather famous song from that era summarizes the reasons for it pretty well. It has the black metal rawness combined with some epic viking/pagan/folk music influences. This song has many amazing and memorable riffs, some beautiful acoustic guitar playing. Amazing vocals, drumming that enhances the epicness of the song well in my opinion and some nice solo parts as well. Everything sounds raw and tight at the same time and I love it.

Needless to say I love this. Bathory was one of my gateway bands to both viking and black metal. Couldn't have asked better introduction for those tbh.

---
Did you know that there exists Finnish nu-metal? Well now you know (also I forgot that this song and band even existed, but damn this was a banger in elementary.)

Now this is my jam.

I remember reviewing Bathory here before and praising the hell out of band and Quorthon. So once again I will skip that part. All you need to know that Bathory is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Viking metal-era Bathory just kicks ass so much. And this rather famous song from that era summarizes the reasons for it pretty well. It has the black metal rawness combined with some epic viking/pagan/folk music influences. This song has many amazing and memorable riffs, some beautiful acoustic guitar playing. Amazing vocals, drumming that enhances the epicness of the song well in my opinion and some nice solo parts as well. Everything sounds raw and tight at the same time and I love it.

Needless to say I love this. Bathory was one of my gateway bands to both viking and black metal. Couldn't have asked better introduction for those tbh.

---
Did you know that there exists Finnish nu-metal? Well now you know (also I forgot that this song and band even existed, but damn this was a banger in elementary.)

For Nu-metal this isn't actually that bad, I like the singer's voice and it's got some personality to it. The riffing grooviness is pretty decent, I just find the chorus unmemorable but otherwise I enjoyed it.

----
Next Song:

For Nu-metal this isn't actually that bad, I like the singer's voice and it's got some personality to it. The riffing grooviness is pretty decent, I just find the chorus unmemorable but otherwise I enjoyed it.

----
Next Song:

Ok, this time there is a band i knew before, even if i mostly listened to The Killing Moon because of Rock Band 3 and Lips Like Sugar remembered for a cover from the movie 50 First Dates. Both amazing songs, expecially the latter. This is still really good even if not on the same level, is what i expected from their early days, Ian McCulloch's voice is powerful, the guitars are haunting, and funnily enough it made me return in my mind another tune of the same year released by Duran Duran. With A Hip seemed to me like a slower version of Careless Memories (i really like that one too, for a change...), the obvious difference is new wave vs post punk, but both good in my book.

Ok, this time there is a band i knew before, even if i mostly listened to The Killing Moon because of Rock Band 3 and Lips Like Sugar remembered for a cover from the movie 50 First Dates. Both amazing songs, expecially the latter. This is still really good even if not on the same level, is what i expected from their early days, Ian McCulloch's voice is powerful, the guitars are haunting, and funnily enough it made me return in my mind another tune of the same year released by Duran Duran. With A Hip seemed to me like a slower version of Careless Memories (i really like that one too, for a change...), the obvious difference is new wave vs post punk, but both good in my book.

Whenever I listen to anything by A-Ha that isn't Take On Me they always sound really depressing and sad. I'm starting to think their biggest hit was also their biggest blunder because this is yet another sad, sad song down to the video. It's not really for me but their vocal harmonies sure are nice.

-----------------------

Whenever I listen to anything by A-Ha that isn't Take On Me they always sound really depressing and sad. I'm starting to think their biggest hit was also their biggest blunder because this is yet another sad, sad song down to the video. It's not really for me but their vocal harmonies sure are nice.

-----------------------

Live always sounds better, always and Primus is no exception, they always sounded so powerful live. The Heckler is a pretty damn great song collected on this live album and probably one of my favourites on anti-pop even if it isn't my favourite album. The walking slow verse rhythms, that make me think of nursery rhymes. Before the guitars get completely overdriven into wonky screeching riffing with the bass. And Les Claypool delivers the, "IT'S JUST A MATTER OF OPINION" with great snark. I can feel my head contorting into a pretzel with the knotiness.

----
Next Song:

Back