Review the Song

Live always sounds better, always and Primus is no exception, they always sounded so powerful live. The Heckler is a pretty damn great song collected on this live album and probably one of my favourites on anti-pop even if it isn't my favourite album. The walking slow verse rhythms, that make me think of nursery rhymes. Before the guitars get completely overdriven into wonky screeching riffing with the bass. And Les Claypool delivers the, "IT'S JUST A MATTER OF OPINION" with great snark. I can feel my head contorting into a pretzel with the knotiness.

----
Next Song:

Interesting story for this Indonesian band I never heard before. Intense atmosphere since the beginning and lyrics matching the sense of despair made this song a good discovery, I had some feelings the intro was introducing something different but I praise all the instrumentation. And the weak is the one who denies his weakness indeed

Next :
[/QUOTE]

Interesting story for this Indonesian band I never heard before. Intense atmosphere since the beginning and lyrics matching the sense of despair made this song a good discovery, I had some feelings the intro was introducing something different but I praise all the instrumentation. And the weak is the one who denies his weakness indeed

Next :

I do like the Yeah yeah yeahs and always had a soft spot for their early albums with their garage rock sound and Karen O's punkish sounding voice. This slower ballad maps isn't a favourite of mine though and I know how popular this song is, it's pretty okay for what it is. Just isn't my thing unfortunately from them.

----
Next Song:

Next :
[/QUOTE]

This annoyed me for some reason. Can't really put my finger on it though. It feels kinda pretentious and like something I would expect to hear from a fictional indie hipster band in the Scott Pilgrim film. Might be that I wasn't in the right mood for this either.

Meh.

This annoyed me for some reason. Can't really put my finger on it though. It feels kinda pretentious and like something I would expect to hear from a fictional indie hipster band in the Scott Pilgrim film. Might be that I wasn't in the right mood for this either.

Meh.

The ninja-ing saga continues:
1e4.gif

The ninja-ing saga continues:
1e4.gif

Good thing I practice the toad style which is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used it's almost invincible.

With the Bathory track and now this song one could think Gen was converted to the burning black metal church. This obviously isn't just BM but it's still amazing how much of it you're willing to take with presenting this song to us twice. I mean, these guys obviously love their blastbeats and tremolo riffs while the vocals partly remind me of Emperor's Ihsahn with bits of Mike Patton's more unhinged side. Pretty intense shit with good tempo and yeah, I had no idea something like this came out of Indonesia. Impressive if not trebly enough :P

---------------------------------

Good thing I practice the toad style which is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used it's almost invincible.

With the Bathory track and now this song one could think Gen was converted to the burning black metal church. This obviously isn't just BM but it's still amazing how much of it you're willing to take with presenting this song to us twice. I mean, these guys obviously love their blastbeats and tremolo riffs while the vocals partly remind me of Emperor's Ihsahn with bits of Mike Patton's more unhinged side. Pretty intense shit with good tempo and yeah, I had no idea something like this came out of Indonesia. Impressive if not trebly enough :P

---------------------------------

King Krule is one of those talented guys that probably should get more credit than he deserves. He has a certain combo of styles that mesh pretty well together. The clean shimmering guitars are very vintage sounding, it makes me think of Mac Demarco here and I love the groove to it. He always rides high on very minimalist instrumentation and space in his songs. King Krule also has a rather low key, deep crooning delivery which stands out as pretty unique to me and has a lot of presence, but will probably be an acquired taste for most people. Considering the age he made this album is pretty damn impressive though with the haunting atmosphere of his sound. One of my favourite tunes on this album is Lizard State, the horns are so fucking BANGING on that track and going for the jazz freak out.

---
Next Song:

King Krule is one of those talented guys that probably should get more credit than he deserves. He has a certain combo of styles that mesh pretty well together. The clean shimmering guitars are very vintage sounding, it makes me think of Mac Demarco here and I love the groove to it. He always rides high on very minimalist instrumentation and space in his songs. King Krule also has a rather low key, deep crooning delivery which stands out as pretty unique to me and has a lot of presence, but will probably be an acquired taste for most people. Considering the age he made this album is pretty damn impressive though with the haunting atmosphere of his sound. One of my favourite tunes on this album is Lizard State, the horns are so fucking BANGING on that track and going for the jazz freak out.

---
Next Song:
Huggy is the perfect blend of Washington Riot and mystique. I remember hearing punk as fuck stories about them, and while I haven't listened in probably 10 years, that rawness is fucking killerrrrrr. Timeless energy.

Next Song: Booty time.

Huggy is the perfect blend of Washington Riot and mystique. I remember hearing punk as fuck stories about them, and while I haven't listened in probably 10 years, that rawness is fucking killerrrrrr. Timeless energy.

Next Song: Booty time.

Going for MAXIMUM FUCKING FUNKY on this tune, this is a powerhouse in groove and pure raw energy. I really have no complaints, this a pretty damn great song overall and the singer's voice is just infectiously stuck in my head. I even like the more atmospheric break in the 2nd half the song.

----
Next Song:

Going for MAXIMUM FUCKING FUNKY on this tune, this is a powerhouse in groove and pure raw energy. I really have no complaints, this a pretty damn great song overall and the singer's voice is just infectiously stuck in my head. I even like the more atmospheric break in the 2nd half the song.

----
Next Song:

Never heard of these guys before but they push all the right buttons for me with the noise rock and wild guitars that draaaag. The intensity and vocals remind me of Mudhoney but I especially love the disorienting guitar riffs here which are just all over the place, hacking up the song like a slasher villain. Guess I'll listen to their entire discography later since it's another small one.

The label this was released under, Glitterhouse Records, is a German one that was an European branch of Sub Pop until the mid-90s. Huh, neat.

-----------------------

Never heard of these guys before but they push all the right buttons for me with the noise rock and wild guitars that draaaag. The intensity and vocals remind me of Mudhoney but I especially love the disorienting guitar riffs here which are just all over the place, hacking up the song like a slasher villain. Guess I'll listen to their entire discography later since it's another small one.

The label this was released under, Glitterhouse Records, is a German one that was an European branch of Sub Pop until the mid-90s. Huh, neat.

-----------------------

This is a band I knew about before and I expected to sound like this. Until a certain point. The intro promised something long and epic but the length of the track told otherwise. Still pretty good however even if as a non mother tongue English speaker the lyrics are kinda difficult for me to understand. And then I discovered that this is a shortest song of an album where they started to do more long ones. Even if this is still longer than... Lukin. Pun intended. (and Lukin is great)

(that damn drums outro... :'( )

This is a band I knew about before and I expected to sound like this. Until a certain point. The intro promised something long and epic but the length of the track told otherwise. Still pretty good however even if as a non mother tongue English speaker the lyrics are kinda difficult for me to understand. And then I discovered that this is a shortest song of an album where they started to do more long ones. Even if this is still longer than... Lukin. Pun intended. (and Lukin is great)

(that damn drums outro... :'( )

Alice in Chains are one of the classic grunge bands, and this was their last album before it was all over. Still get sad honestly listening to this song. It's quite an emotional piece from Layne, rises at all the right moments with the quiet moments. Those alternative vibes are just gorgeous in how it rings out from the guitars and it's not really as sludgey as some of their other songs. This is a damn great song.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Alice in Chains are one of the classic grunge bands, and this was their last album before it was all over. Still get sad honestly listening to this song. It's quite an emotional piece from Layne, rises at all the right moments with the quiet moments. Those alternative vibes are just gorgeous in how it rings out from the guitars and it's not really as sludgey as some of their other songs. This is a damn great song.

----
Next Song:

Can I just say I find it a bit ironic that the cover art consists of iron bars? I think it's pretty obvious by now that I suck at musical comparison and composition so I associate music by emotion instead and goddamn this is just the perfect road trip music, man. This just screams...Arizona, Zion Park, Route 66, the open road. I feel like I'm on one of those personal transporter flyers from Flash Gordon listening to this. That electro beat in the opening and throughout the song is like a throwback to techno that isn't shitty. It's perfect freedom music, you know. Not confined and like a dartboard of slap city. Just pop in a cassette tape a see where the night takes you kind of music, you know? I don't even want to describe it as chill because "chill" seems too constrained for this, if that makes sense. This is definitely some music to get lost on Amtrak with and sleep with the homeless in an abandoned train station and that's not a bad thing.

Anyway, next song:

Can I just say I find it a bit ironic that the cover art consists of iron bars? I think it's pretty obvious by now that I suck at musical comparison and composition so I associate music by emotion instead and goddamn this is just the perfect road trip music, man. This just screams...Arizona, Zion Park, Route 66, the open road. I feel like I'm on one of those personal transporter flyers from Flash Gordon listening to this. That electro beat in the opening and throughout the song is like a throwback to techno that isn't shitty. It's perfect freedom music, you know. Not confined and like a dartboard of slap city. Just pop in a cassette tape a see where the night takes you kind of music, you know? I don't even want to describe it as chill because "chill" seems too constrained for this, if that makes sense. This is definitely some music to get lost on Amtrak with and sleep with the homeless in an abandoned train station and that's not a bad thing.

Anyway, next song:

Ok, first off, I probably should not just go here, but I can't help it.
"Lift a pint and everybody sing along!" Yes, this is the ultimate pub track, deep in the heart of the blue collar worker coming home from the factory. It's a positive vibe for a positive pro-union movement. You can almost hear the conflicting message as you tell your boss off that you don't own me, BUT let's face it, they do employ you. Still, I can feel the comradery of lyrics as they combat the corporation in unison with all the soapbox strength that comes from other great songs like Sixteen Tons where the Company owns you.

And let's talk about that full bodied 12 string guitar and Sweet/ELO styled 70s multitrack vocal. It fills the room.

What I wish would happen on C-SPAN today

Ok, first off, I probably should not just go here, but I can't help it.
"Lift a pint and everybody sing along!" Yes, this is the ultimate pub track, deep in the heart of the blue collar worker coming home from the factory. It's a positive vibe for a positive pro-union movement. You can almost hear the conflicting message as you tell your boss off that you don't own me, BUT let's face it, they do employ you. Still, I can feel the comradery of lyrics as they combat the corporation in unison with all the soapbox strength that comes from other great songs like Sixteen Tons where the Company owns you.

And let's talk about that full bodied 12 string guitar and Sweet/ELO styled 70s multitrack vocal. It fills the room.

What I wish would happen on C-SPAN today
The intensity of this song has my balls sitting on top of my brain, damn I dig it. Couple that with some fantastic lip-syncing and the whole overall vibe? Damn. Toss in some surf rock sampling (I'm PRETTY sure its Link Wray, it reminds me of Death Grip's sampling from Spread Eagle Cross the Block) but it all just fucking gets it and gets it good. I dont know anything about DJ Shadow, but EL-P and Killer Mike can do no wrong in my book. Thanks for this, I'm gonna vibe to this all damn week. (PS: I'm worried about Mike. I think this is the third threat against dogs I've heard in his lyrics XD) The lyrics of this song have been fucking me up.

"I will walk into a court while it wrecks, screaming "Yes!
I am guilty motherfuckers, I am death."
Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?
Nobody speak, nobody get choked!"

Unnfffff. Good shit.

Next song: Let's bring it back down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The intensity of this song has my balls sitting on top of my brain, damn I dig it. Couple that with some fantastic lip-syncing and the whole overall vibe? Damn. Toss in some surf rock sampling (I'm PRETTY sure its Link Wray, it reminds me of Death Grip's sampling from Spread Eagle Cross the Block) but it all just fucking gets it and gets it good. I dont know anything about DJ Shadow, but EL-P and Killer Mike can do no wrong in my book. Thanks for this, I'm gonna vibe to this all damn week. (PS: I'm worried about Mike. I think this is the third threat against dogs I've heard in his lyrics XD) The lyrics of this song have been fucking me up.

"I will walk into a court while it wrecks, screaming "Yes!
I am guilty motherfuckers, I am death."
Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?
Nobody speak, nobody get choked!"

Unnfffff. Good shit.

Next song: Let's bring it back down a bit.

I have heard name Pete Rock from my friends who listen to rap more, but never tried his stuff before this. And I really like it. That beat is catchy as all hell and rapping has a really nice flow to it. His voice is also really good and fits well with the instrumental.

Really digging this.

---
Next:

Jazz-influenced beat gets instantly thumbs up from me.

I have heard name Pete Rock from my friends who listen to rap more, but never tried his stuff before this. And I really like it. That beat is catchy as all hell and rapping has a really nice flow to it. His voice is also really good and fits well with the instrumental.

Really digging this.

---
Next:

Neat indie pop stuff with sugary sweet melodies and chorus while the guitars get better and more lively as the song goes on. I'm not a huge fan of this kinda stuff overall because it always reminds me of iPod commercials and the like, just this annoyingly bubbly thing about the music in general. For what it is it's OK.

-----------------------------------

Neat indie pop stuff with sugary sweet melodies and chorus while the guitars get better and more lively as the song goes on. I'm not a huge fan of this kinda stuff overall because it always reminds me of iPod commercials and the like, just this annoyingly bubbly thing about the music in general. For what it is it's OK.

-----------------------------------

OK, I guess this choice is motivated by some big fresh news regarding this band ... I discovered them exactly with Californication because a classmate in the last year of junior high owned it since its release, and we even tried to translate some lyrics from the singles, but this was a song where I never actually read the words until now. Not too surprised by the topic, even if, I'm gonna say, it's not really for me, because I read Anthony Kiedis' book in 2011 and his life was... wild and dangerous.
Californication itself... I don't love it as I did back then, but it's still good on its own merit and believe is better than anything they released after. This song is in the half of the best in the tracklist however, not as great as the title track, Easily or Road Trippin', but still good. Good is the right word in his simplicity. Frusciante (I didn't even realized he was actually name checked) is not as his best but he's good, and so Flea, Chad, Anthony... The build up to end of the song is what I liked the most.

OK, I guess this choice is motivated by some big fresh news regarding this band ... I discovered them exactly with Californication because a classmate in the last year of junior high owned it since its release, and we even tried to translate some lyrics from the singles, but this was a song where I never actually read the words until now. Not too surprised by the topic, even if, I'm gonna say, it's not really for me, because I read Anthony Kiedis' book in 2011 and his life was... wild and dangerous.
Californication itself... I don't love it as I did back then, but it's still good on its own merit and believe is better than anything they released after. This song is in the half of the best in the tracklist however, not as great as the title track, Easily or Road Trippin', but still good. Good is the right word in his simplicity. Frusciante (I didn't even realized he was actually name checked) is not as his best but he's good, and so Flea, Chad, Anthony... The build up to end of the song is what I liked the most.

I do like RCHP, from time to time, I mean the frusciante guitar and flea's bass playing, they're dynamic and interplay is absolutely top shelf. Transcending is an okay song to me though. For half the song it's not my thing, until it fucking EXPLODES with raw energy. That right there, that's what I fucking want. Guitars blowing my ears off and being gnarly. It is really wild sounding for RHCP.

----
Next Song:

I do like RCHP, from time to time, I mean the frusciante guitar and flea's bass playing, they're dynamic and interplay is absolutely top shelf. Transcending is an okay song to me though. For half the song it's not my thing, until it fucking EXPLODES with raw energy. That right there, that's what I fucking want. Guitars blowing my ears off and being gnarly. It is really wild sounding for RHCP.

----
Next Song:
Oh damn this song is totally my jam. I stumbled on Cursed by accident some time ago and their sludge-metal-sound combined with some hardcore thrashing made a huge impression. Riffs and tone hit like a ten-ton metal hammer straight to the face. Screams and growls are great. Drumming is nice and the song has a nice progression. Also all the riffs are amazing. They are catchy and heavy as all hell.

Definitely my jam.

---
Next:

Oh damn this song is totally my jam. I stumbled on Cursed by accident some time ago and their sludge-metal-sound combined with some hardcore thrashing made a huge impression. Riffs and tone hit like a ten-ton metal hammer straight to the face. Screams and growls are great. Drumming is nice and the song has a nice progression. Also all the riffs are amazing. They are catchy and heavy as all hell.

Definitely my jam.

---
Next:

I met this song in their 2013 Milan concert and it's one of the strongest in an album that I listened once after release and never more after (still better than Spirit, though).
Yes, this time Martin Gore's lyrics seemed on auto-pilot (and I controlled if it was him or Dave Gahan since he also started writing music in 2005), but the mixing of guitars and electronics work particularly well here. Not too surprising because they were able to call Flood back for the job, the legendary producer who worked with them on Violator and Songs of faith and devotion. It's a perfect choice to finish the album, even more after the fake ending at 3.39, and should have been released as a single instead of that boring Should be higher that I never liked at all.

I discovered them opening for Depeche Mode that exact evening and I almost liked them more than the headliners...
[/QUOTE]

Back