Post your ideas for forum/site integration here

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We'd love your ideas on how we could better integration forum content into the site, or vice versa. For example:

• Integrating the forum feed into the site feed (or vice versa)

• Outputting recent posts (the actual forum posts) in anime/manga entries?

• Outputting your site stats (number of recommendations, reviews, etc) in your forum posts

• Sections we should remove or change - for example, removing additional sections of the forum 'edit profile' page, or other things that seem weird with the merge.

Looking for any/all ideas, whether it's a small design element you think would be fun or a full-blown feature update.

Please ONLY post suggestions related to the forum and site integration (forum posts on the site, site stats in forum posts, etc). If you have other suggestions for site features please post a thread in the forum section and check out the known issues/planned projects thread

Last edited:
Are there any API's to go with the site? I always find that the site doesn't work the best on my mobile and so I would like to look at creating a mobile app for it.
I Really want to streamline this process: Just finished an episode of a show, unlock phone, open web browser, open website, log in if the site has forgotten me, navigate to my current wat list, tap show, tap episode list box and advance the number by 1.

EDIT:
Hmm look at that, forum says I've only been a member since yesterday, although I've been a member of the site for ages and it hasn't brought over my profile picture from the main site.

EDIT:
Hmm look at that, forum says I've only been a member since yesterday, although I've been a member of the site for ages and it hasn't brought over my profile picture from the main site.

I had the same issue with my avatar, uploading it again (on site profile) fixed it.

Are there any API's to go with the site? I always find that the site doesn't work the best on my mobile and so I would like to look at creating a mobile app for it.
I Really want to streamline this process: Just finished an episode of a show, unlock phone, open web browser, open website, log in if the site has forgotten me, navigate to my current wat list, tap show, tap episode list box and advance the number by 1.

EDIT:

The mobile thing is probably outside of scope for this thread (this one is more for how to better integrate the forum with the site), but yeah, we're investigating ways to make mobile much easier.

For the user situation, we just launched the merge so that's why your forum account says 'new member' (since it was just created today). That's a good point that we probably should set the forum join date to the site date so that it's more consistent. Will open a tracking issue for that and should be fixed soon (we'll fix existing forum accounts at the same time)

Also, the avatar thing is a bug but we patched it pretty quick - that should be fixed after this long-running script we're running completes, but to fast track, pave over your site avatar with the same avatar, the forum one will get fixed :)

just posted a big bold notice in the first post aboout the purpose of this thread :) please post suggestions unrelated to the forum/site integration in the full forum. thanks!

The mobile thing is probably outside of scope for this thread (this one is more for how to better integrate the forum with the site), but yeah, we're investigating ways to make mobile much easier.

For the user situation, we just launched the merge so that's why your forum account says 'new member' (since it was just created today). That's a good point that we probably should set the forum join date to the site date so that it's more consistent. Will open a tracking issue for that and should be fixed soon (we'll fix existing forum accounts at the same time)

Also, the avatar thing is a bug but we patched it pretty quick - that should be fixed after this long-running script we're running completes, but to fast track, pave over your site avatar with the same avatar, the forum one will get fixed :)
Thanks for the update. I will wait and see if my picture changes with your script :) will help with testing.

Thanks for the update. I will wait and see if my picture changes with your script :) will help with testing.

test complete! there's your avatar :)

will hopefully get that join date situation fixed tomorrow!

A number notification option in the community tab or beside "Forum" inside of it for alerts/conversations wouldn't be that bad. But make it an option, sometimes I'd rather not know or I'd spend all my life in here. That or I'd never come back because I'd never get any alerts.

How about incorporating an automatic link to the users' site profile under their avatar, alongside the forum profile one (well, underneath it more likely, if you want to get technical).

Great ideas. Something else I just thought of is a PM link/option in the person's site profile - it would in theory bring you to the conversations panel here with the person's name built in.

^this seems like a lot of people would like it, since PMs haven't really been possible until now. It might also educate people that the forum exists now and that it's usable, if they don't see the announcements

I don't see a way to easily get to a person's profile page from clicking on their name/avatar in the forum - it brings you to a forum profile page and not their main site profile. Am I missing something, or maybe a link to their main profile landing page or comments section could be added?

sianeka, that was the point in my suggestion above. There's currently no link back to site profiles from the forum unless the person has added their site sig, having an automated link to their profile located under their forum avatar somewhere would solve that.

sianeka, that was the point in my suggestion above. There's currently no link back to site profiles from the forum unless the person has added their site sig, having an automated link to their profile located under their forum avatar somewhere would solve that.
Woops, didn't see your post when I was writing mine. Sorry for the redundancy. (I think I didn't have refreshed page when I posted, cause I'd planned to post far sooner than when I finally got around to it.)

Maybe (if it hasn't been said already) an autoplay option. Where the anime would either skip to the next episode or even skip the anime intro. But for now, just skip to the next episode. Would be very appreciated.

Back