Announcing a single site/forum experience on Anime-Planet

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Today we've launched a project that at times seemed like it would never end: single-sign-on and merged accounts for the site and forum.

What this means for you

• You have one account, it works across the site! No more need to register in the forum or log into two places.

• If you didn't have a forum account before, just log into the main site. You'll be able to post in the forum after that.

• If you did have a forum account before, nothing has changed!

• Certain aspects of forum profile edits are turned off, like avatar, email and password updates. All of this is controlled from your site account and syncs to your forum 'profile'.

I've noticed a problem

I logged into the site but am not logged into the forum

A few users have reported this - just log out, clear your Anime-Planet cookies, and re-login to the site and it should work fine in the future. This should be a one-time occurrence.

I've noticed another problem

Post a bug report in the bug forum
and we'll look into it.

Why did it take so long?

• Having to link two completely separate codebases and database types is tricky!

• Anime-Planet is run by a small team of volunteer developers, and we haven't had a subject matter expert available to help with Xenforo and integration support regularly.

• Did I mention merging two entirely separate codebases and databases is tricky?

What's next?

We'd love your ideas on how we can better merge the site and forum to be even more seamless. First and foremost would love to better communicate to the hundreds of thousands of main site users that the forum exists! As well as ways to integrate your site contributions here in the forum.

Please post any ideas here! And read the thread for ideas others have.

Thanks

Huge thanks to the developers who helped work on this to make it happen - Chalamius, Xesxen, Crimm, kweeket, Muchiachio (and I helped too! ;) ).

Also to our beta tester team, who helped out a lot the past few weeks on finding issues!

If you're happy about this update, please consider supporting the site, and let your friends know about Anime-Planet! Thanks, as always, for your continued support of A-P.

I also want to call out that now that the merge is done, we're going to try to fast track a feature we've been planning so that you can change your own username once every [x time period - probably several months]. This way you won't be waiting on me to change names for forever.

Thanks so much for this. I'll try to help out with anime and manga updates more now that I can access the forum.
Also first post ever. x3

Oh. I was wondering why my profile avatar was my forum avatar now. Thought it was a bug.

@randomredneck how long ago did you add that site avatar? that shape shouldn't be possible unless it's one of the very very old legacy ones, so if it was recently, gotta investigate that bug

Uh...some time in 2013 I think? I haven't bothered changing it in years.

yep you must fall into that category then :) well hey, i'd be please with you changing it sometime if you find another avatar, I get an OCD reaction when people have the buggy size XD

This is great! My avatar changed, AUTOMATICALLY!

Also new users can come here now, that's nice too, good job.

Happy that I can finally use the forum, thanks for the hard work. And I look forward to be able to change my name.

Congratulations on the merge. I :love: it. I can't really think of any changes for it, I'm real happy the way it is now. Though give me a few days, I'll probably find something after my glee has faded.

I'm surprised to here users will be able to change their names themselves after some time (I recommend six months). Though I have no desire to change mine, the option to do so ourselves is a welcomed feat. :)

Now that the site has merged, any chance we will possibly see the return of the Character Edits this year?

Congratulations on the merge. I :love: it. I can't really think of any changes for it, I'm real happy the way it is now. Though give me a few days, I'll probably find something after my glee has faded.

I'm surprised to here users will be able to change their names themselves after some time (I recommend six months). Though I have no desire to change mine, the option to do so ourselves is a welcomed feat. :)

Now that the site has merged, any chance we will possibly see the return of the Character Edits this year?

Yep! Hoping to bring that full system back up soon (with much better tooling than before). Here's an announcement I posted about the limited/new threads just now: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/threads/character-submissions-are-partially-back-up.323783/

Back