New feature: choose your preferred anime/manga title type (JP vs EN)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Today we're announcing a very heavily requested feature over the years: you can now choose which default title type you'd like to see on Anime-Planet: Japanese, English, or whatever Anime-Planet uses as default.

Where to set this value

Go to your edit profile page. Click the My anime/manga lists tab, then select from one of the options in the dropdown next to Default main title type.

6qZB1lz.png

• Anime-Planet default keeps titles as they are. On Anime-Planet we usually set the main title to English if it's licensed (or if it's mostly well known by the English name), or Japanese if not. We try to make the main title the one that we think will be most recognizable, so unless you are particular about a specific title type, we recommend keeping this default.

• Japanese will display the Japanese (romaji) title. There is currently not an option to show the kanji versions as the default, but we will look into this option in the future if there's demand for it.

• English will display the English title. Usually this means the licensed title.

I'm looking at [this anime or manga] and it's not showing [English or Japanese] even though I've set my preferred title type. Why?

There are three possible reasons for this.
  • We need to update the anime/manga entry to have the correct titles

• There's a reason we don't have the title you're looking for

• It's a section of the site that hasn't been updated to show custom titles yet

We need to update the entry

For custom titles to work, the titles need to be set up in a very specific way in the database. Anime and manga moderators have been working on fixing old entries (of which there are thousands and thousands) for about 6 months now, because they've known this feature was coming. Any new entries added to the database since then have also been set up with correct tags.

However, there's a lot of entries we haven't updated yet. We're asking for your help with this. If you don't see an English or Japanese title, and you expected to see one, please let us know in the suggestions threads.

For ANIME: let us know here
For MANGA: let us know here

There's a reason we don't have the title you're looking for

For example, if a series is known only by its Japanese name, and there's a random English slang way of referring to the series, we wouldn't add this as the official English title. We'd add is as an alternate title so that it appears in the entry, but we wouldn't officially list it as the main English title.

The easiest way to ask about this is the same as the above section:

For ANIME: let us know here
For MANGA: let us know here

It's a section of the site that hasn't been updated to show custom titles yet

We've updated some of the main parts of the site to show custom titles, but we're still working on updating all parts of the site. There are some known areas that currently do NOT show your preferred title type (and instead show the Anime-Planet default always):

• Recommendations area of an anime/manga page

• The video sliders on the homepages (in the 'watch online' sections)

• Viewing a custom list

Report any pages we might have missed HERE.

Thanks, as always, for your continued support of Anime-Planet :love::drinking:

Time to go full weeb.

Have to wait until we have the option for kanji titles to truly go full weeb. Sure, we won't have a clue what the fuck we're watching, but we want our experience to be authentic as possible, comprehension be damned!

Well, this can only mean one thing.

We're just one step away from Kanji and Katakana for everything being an option.
I look forward to the day that we will have user names that I can't possibly read. :P

Zomg, PLEASE do Kanji/Katakana in the future.... *puppy eyes*

I need something to help me learn and reinforce my knowledge of the Japanese language, lol. I know I wouldn't learn full blown Japanese this way, but still....the thought excites me. xD

Hi.
Well, i have the anime titles in japanese but aren't sorted alphabetically, that's too bad-
Bye and ty! :D

I still see the A-P defaults for the recommendations on my profile page. This is the case for both the recommended anime and the anime related to what I've watched.

(Is it OK that I posted this here or should I have made a new bug report thread?)

I still see the A-P defaults for the recommendations on my profile page. This is the case for both the recommended anime and the anime related to what I've watched.

(Is it OK that I posted this here or should I have made a new bug report thread?)

New bug report, this thread is about a new feature.

Back