Mothersquaching Rick and Morty Discussion

We officially be back.

"Rickmancing The Stone"
Leave it to Rick to give savages civilization as an 'I told you so' and then take it away before he leaves.

Also, for a disembodied arm, Armethy sure knew his stuff.

Rickmancing The Stone

Divorce sure is messy. I like this episode is basically about how poorly everyone is dealing with Beth and Jerry's divorce. Even though there marriage wasn't great to begin with the divorce still comes with a ton of baggage.

You'd think Rick would be above it all, but he cares enough about the family that he can't just ignore a situation he caused. He tries his best to ignore it, but all his workarounds are more effort than they're worth.

I think my favorite moments of the episode was seeing how Morty and Summer interact with the Mad Max world as ways of coping with the divorce. Summer obviously gets into the nihilism of the place and Morty uses the Blood Dome to work out the quiet rage that his father is such a spineless pussy that won't take control of his life.

Armathy showed a lot of personality for just being an arm. By the end of the episode I was rooting for him to get his revenge. Armathy's quest is the most creative part of the episode and the muscle memory bit fits in well with the overall themes of the episode.

Jerry really is such a damn sad sack. I found the loser gag to be both funny and incredibly depressing.

So glad to have this show back.

Pickle Rick
That ending was almost more depressing than Rick trying to kill himself.
So addicted to their completely self-destructive dynamic, they drown out the kids wanting to continue therapy. Talk about a downer.

Pickle Rick

You gotta respect this show for taking possibly one of the dumbest sounding concepts you could think of and turning it into an entertaining as fuck episode,

@randomredneck is right, though as fun as Pickle Rick's over the top 80s action movie was, this episode is actually really damn depressing. All the shit eating jokes only serve to lighten the dark mood of the therapy session.

This season pretty much seems like it's going to be validating Jerry's existence. As soon as he's out of the picture the family starts going to some dark places. Jerry's often naive optimism is needed to balance out Rick's nihilism. The family needs Jerry's stupid to balance out Rick's smart.

Now Jerry just needs to find his balls and take back his family.

Fingers crossed that Jaguar becomes a recurring character.

That pickle episode was just great!
Getting out of counselling by converting yourself into a pickle eh?
The action was really good too, Rickdiculous violence with Ricktacular gore on top. I liked how they mixed in those scenes with the counselling of the rest of the family.
Looking forward to the next episode.

Wasn't this the episode where the creator(s) said that it wasn't a good episode. Just going off what I saw at reddit. I can see why though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Vindicators

Rick goes out of his way to prove a nihilistic point to Morty, again. I don't think this was a bad episode, but an average one that will quickly be forgotten about.

The only real notable thing about this episode is that it shows some character growth for Morty. His no longer the kid that freaks out every time time Rick threatens to destroy the world to prove a point. Instead Morty reacts with a resigned shrug and goes to disarm that neutron bomb as he's done "too many times."

Morty hasn't given into Rick's nihilism, but he's definitely less naive than he was and that could turn out to be a good thing if he can avoid becoming a cynical asshole like Rick. At the start of the series Morty was so naive that his idealism backfired a lot of time, but from spending time with Rick and seeing how quickly naive optimism can go to shit, maybe he's learning to be a bit more practical and he can effectively do good things. He's still got a ways to go in that path of development, though. This episode he's mostly just over Rick's usual routine, even as he's able to joke around with Rick as they're being choked out.

I did find a few of the jokes to be funny, but nothing was overly hilarious. I liked the throw away reference that the Vinicators that died when Rick wasn't there were all named for useless characters from Suicide Squad.

Average episode is average,

"The Whirly-Dirly Conspiracy"
A big step-up from last week.
I don't know why, but Titan Beth and Summer having their bonding moment cracked me up. I was frigging rolling.

The Whirly-Dirly Conspiracy

This episode was great, but
I wish it had done more with dumbed down Rick. Jerry gets to pick on Rick for one short scene, but it could have done more to comment on the power imbalance between them and given them both a chance to understand the other better.

Either way this season is building to a big Jerry redemption. The family is falling apart with Beth making weird serial killer in training sculptures and trying to solve things she doesn't understand just because she wants to feel like her father. Morty can only stand to the side and comment on how fucked up things are while he's clearly starting to resent Rick more and more. The vagina guy was the one thing standing between Rick's nihilism and inability to admit to caring about anything causing the family to melt down.

"Rest And Ricklaxation"
It was a pretty good episode.
Seeing what happened when what they themselves considered toxic removed was pretty interesting.

Also,
that double chest-burster gun gag was awesome.

I loved this episode.
It's depressing to find out that Rick is aware of his flaws, which means he's not a complete narcissistic monster, but then he considers his love for Morty to be one of those flaws. That's just so fucked up.

Morty becomes a complete sociopath as he sheds all his insecurities and conscious. It makes perfect sense for an awkward teenage boy to find those things to be his flaws. Still, fun to see him act more confident, even if it gets increasingly disturbing to see how extreme it was.

Also, the Voltron Drones were awesome. I wish we could see them again, but Rick just called and said we can't have them.

Reactions: Zed
The Vindicators was boring, but that Whirly-Dirly one was on point. I'm looking forward to the next episode (Sweden is one week behind the US at showing the new eps).

"The ABC's Of Beth"
Long story short: Beth is as crazy as Rick.

And Jerry...you just keep topping yourself in utter patheticness.

I should probably attempt to catch up the third season, shouldn't I? The problem is I have zero motivation. I've seen the first 4 episodes, and I'm sorry to shit on everyone's favourite thing yet again, but I was bored. Like, really bored. Yes, even with Pickle Rick, which had a fun idea, but a boring execution and I found even the much praised rat fight dull. I can't say I didn't see it coming, because the first two seasons were awesome, so the third one had to be bad (translation: not bad, per se, but not keeping up with the standard the first two seasons have set). I can only hope it will improve with further episodes, but dammit, it's like Sherlock all over again.

Reactions: Zed
I should probably attempt to catch up the third season, shouldn't I? The problem is I have zero motivation. I've seen the first 4 episodes, and I'm sorry to shit on everyone's favourite thing yet again, but I was bored. Like, really bored. Yes, even with Pickle Rick, which had a fun idea, but a boring execution and I found even the much praised rat fight dull. I can't say I didn't see it coming, because the first two seasons were awesome, so the third one had to be bad (translation: not bad, per se, but not keeping up with the standard the first two seasons have set). I can only hope it will improve with further episodes, but dammit, it's like Sherlock all over again.
I am sort of in the same boat. I have enjoyed the eps more than you have, but I don't feel as motivated to watch this series as I had the previous 2.

I think this has been the best season of show yet, because they're actually taking risks by exploring the psychology of the characters not resetting after each week's sci-fi adventure. All of the character's actions have lasting impact and consequences. Even something like the pickle episode shows just how far Rick will go to avoid talking about his feelings and how far Beth will go to cover for her father's assholery. For me this is the show leveling up its game and paying off a lot of set up from earlier seasons.

Not that the season has been perfect. The Vidicators was a weak episode and The Ricklantis Mixup bungled its social commentary, but this has always been a show full of ups and downs.

Enjoyment of this season is going to depend on what you are watching the show for. If you don't care about the characters or their development, then it's not going to do as much for you.

Back