Characters you hate that others like

Probably Sebastian (Black Butler) and Luffy, where the former literally has no personality at all and I don't understand where the charm comes from. As for Luffy, I couldn't stand him at all honestly and he was one of the reasons I dropped one piece along with the fact that the arcs were repetitive (and I only watched 200 episodes).
I like Sebastian, but I can totally understand where you're coming from. At least he's still better than anime Ciel who is a completely different person than manga Ciel. How to butcher a great character 101.

shounen really just said "deku but again"
I don't think they're that similar. Tanjiro is a lot more confident and outgoing, less analytical too. He's also more focused, with a clearer picture of what he's set out to do. Other than being shorties and hard workers (which is like one in every two shonen protagonists ever made, really) they're pretty different.

And arlong park holds a special place in my heart.
It's the arc that made the show graduate from 'like' to 'love' when I was young, although I was already totally in for the ride after Zoro vs Mihawk. I enjoy Arlong Park even more now as an adult, it's that one short arc that holds as much emotional weight to me as behemoths like Enies Lobby or Dressrosa.

shounen really just said "deku but again"

I like it a lot. Water seven saga is one of the best though. And arlong park holds a special place in my heart.

Whole cake island was the best recent one. People shit on it because of that one character but i still liked everything else it had to offer.
But maybe my reason for liking the Alabasta arc is out of nostalgia. That and I felt like the story had been building up to where the Strawhats finally take on Baroque Works. Considering they were introduced not long after the characters finally made it to the Grandline. They did save another kingdom before Alabasta, but Wapol is such a dork compared to Crocodile as an antagonist. The fights the characters had really pushed them to their limits, like this was the author's way of saying the Grandline is only going to get harder for the characters.

But if were to look honestly at the later arcs, Water Seven had built up to some pretty awesome moments, like Robin's catharsis. That and Rob Lucci felt like a competent dangerous opponent to Luffy, the other ones being Magellan and Crocodile who were also close to killing him at certain points.

Water Seven also showed Chopper's first serious fight on his own, which escalated pretty quickly. So yeah, I think I've found a lot of reasons why I love the Water Seven arc. And let's not forget Impel Down, since I love prison settings for manga/anime.:love:

I dislike Sebastian from Black Butler, mostly because of fangirls. He's not cute, kawaii, or sexy. Sorry, but he's an evil demon--a black void--who only has a personality for utilitarian purposes. The only thing about him is he likes devouring souls.

Water Seven also showed Chopper's first serious fight on his own, which escalated pretty quickly. So yeah, I think I've found a lot of reasons why I love the Water Seven arc. And let's not forget Impel Down, since I love prison settings for manga/anime.:love:

I also love Chopper and wish he would fight more. Impel Down is also a favourite arc of mine. The ensemble of characters has yet to be beaten. I love how they brought back Buggy and Bon Clay. It was cool to see Luffy on his own . . . Oh, and the opening theme song is a bop.:banana:

I dislike Sebastian from Black Butler, mostly because of fangirls. He's not cute, kawaii, or sexy. Sorry, but he's an evil demon--a black void--who only has a personality for utilitarian purposes. The only thing about him is he likes devouring souls.
Pardon? The man is a smokeshow. He cooks, he cleans, he can play the violin, he's got a voice like butter, he looks fine as Hell in glasses, etc. He fine like wine.

Honestly, I rarely harbor hatred for popular characters, at best they usually just don't effect me the same way they effect other people. I don't hate many characters who are controversially hated, since what I usually hate in fiction is like... idk, abusive parents and shitty older siblings and even they tend to hold a plot purpose so it's not like my hatred for them is like.... Burning or anything.

But I do absolutely hate Meiko Honma. I hate everything about her saccharine presentation in the show and it rots the core of the show inside out. I hate that dead little girl so much.

Well, since I seem to the only one who sees him for what he is, I guess I can claim Rudy Greyrat as someone I hate (Actually, hate isn't strong enough. I utterly loathe this asshat) that everyone else likes.
rudeus-greyrat-89327.jpg

Keypoints: A sexist douchebag, a slimy little pervert, technically in his like his 40's or 50's, flat out grooming girls, a canon pedophile, tried to molest a girl in her sleep, on and on I can go. And yet everyone around here freaking loves this complete scumbag for some reason. He is scum personified, and all I see are people heaping praise on him. It drives me nuts.

Pardon? The man is a smokeshow. He cooks, he cleans, he can play the violin, he's got a voice like butter, he looks fine as Hell in glasses, etc. He fine like wine.

Well, I do like his voice. I do agree on that point. I don't know what the Jp seiyu sounds like, but J. Michael Tatum is fine. The best part is, he's from my home state . . . Well, most of Funimation's stars are (I'm from Texas, in case you haven't guessed).

Sorry, but I guess I just don't like demons. I find them repulsive. . . Not that I find angels sexy, either. I just think they are awesome (the good ones, anyway).

Last edited:
url

Yukino Yukinoshita

Never liked her, i wont go into spoilers but she is just boring, miserable and belongs in the background, the show uses her for a setting and i don't dent she plays her role well and i partially accept the attitude she has is who she is but the more the series goes on the more i dislike even seeing her. It's not a case of i prefer x over y but i just hate X in this instances and she is X.

Weirdly enough... people love her? Well, not that i care, i always end up in the position of not seeing what others like in characters.

Naruto. Sasuke and Sakura seem to get most of the hate in their series and perhaps deservedly so but Naruto deserves some flack too. As a main character I think he sends a terrible message of pursuing co-dependent and toxic relationships, both with Sakura and Sasuke. They only spent a few months together as a team and during that time they didn't really bond that much. Naruto should've grown out of trying to bring him back after the first timeskip. Instead he hyperventilated and passed out even after Sasuke tried to kill him and his friends several times, aided the Akutsuki and killed several samurai at the Kage summit.

Beerus. He's just a moving goalpost with a childish personality. The GOD's and Angels might expand upon the Dragon Ball lore but I find most of their characterizations to be boring and Beerus is the one we're forced to spend the most time with. I don't appreciate how certain key events have been retconned and contributed to him him either.

Goku. The characteristics that made him endearing as a kid don't translate as well as an adult. That said I still didn't mind him until the Buu saga. Toriyama built Gohan up so well and gave him the perfect passing of the torch moment in the Cell saga only to get cold feet and ruin him in the very next arc. It genuinely felt like character assassination to make Goku look cooler by comparison. Goku became even more obnoxious in Super. He's still hogging the spotlight but to make things worse he's also regressed into being even dumber than he was as a child. Yes he's the main character but other shounen like One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho do a much better job of writing likeable MC's and giving the other cast time to shine.

Itachi Uchiha. At some point Kishi pulled a 180 with the character. I don't buy that he was always intended to be revealed as a good guy as a plot twist. Certain things he did earlier in the series contradict that.
I didn't truly start to dislike Itachi until Kishi bought him back as an Edo and insisted on portraying him as a pretentious philosopher even though he had no business lecturing anyone. Between that and clowning on the previous arc's main villain it was the most blatant fanservice of all the Edos. If Kishi favored Itachi so much then maybe he should've written him better while he was alive, though Kishi did usually struggle to write good stories when not ripping off HxH directly.

Sorry if double-posting isn't allowed. Couldn't edit my previous post.

May I ask what you mean by "kind"? Do you mean protagonists who are melodramatic or are seen as crybabies? Do you not like the underdog trope and find it overdone?
I don't quite get what you mean.
I mean the character who always ALWAYS has to be the center of the scene and the story, whether it makes sense for him to be there or not, overshadowing everyone else who might have used the time to shine in the spotlight and get some character development while they're at it, who is sold as this "weak, meak underdog", yet who at the same time always wins and overcomes any obstacles (or loses only because he selflessly lets someone else win, because he's such a great guy), who always has to be the kindest, the bravest, the most flawless, always helping everyone and noticing those who are overlooked and saving everyone with his love, etc etc. I just hate this type of protagonist, the mirror of villains who are written solely to be hated. And I'm not even taking his personality into account there, the constant crying and shouting and being generally annoying.

I mean the character who always ALWAYS has to be the center of the scene and the story, whether it makes sense for him to be there or not, overshadowing everyone else who might have used the time to shine in the spotlight and get some character development while they're at it, who is sold as this "weak, meak underdog", yet who at the same time always wins and overcomes any obstacles (or loses only because he selflessly lets someone else win, because he's such a great guy), who always has to be the kindest, the bravest, the most flawless, always helping everyone and noticing those who are overlooked and saving everyone with his love, etc etc. I just hate this type of protagonist, the mirror of villains who are written solely to be hated. And I'm not even taking his personality into account there, the constant crying and shouting and being generally annoying.
Okay, so you mean Gary-Stues essentially? I gotcha. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Last edited:
Satou MATSUZAKA is basically a child predator in making
nearly main character in Future Diary (except the gay detective)
Also every character in Killing Stalking. All of them needs to be in therapy and/or jail, especially the rapist and the Stockholm syndrome boy

Back