Anime Screenshots Without Context

Haven't watched Horny Kappas yet, but Turkey, buddy, I know you think Ikuhara's pretentious, but I don't know why. You haven't even watched any of his works, have you? The fans may be pretentious, thinking that they're better then others, but I don't think the work itself is. It's just heavy on symbolism, but it doesn't present itself as the greatest work on earth and neither is it the "I'm so smart you won't get me" type. I just think you should maybe give it a try before you judge it, because you might like it. Or you may not, but you'll never know if you don't try. And if we're talking pretentious, for example The Promised Neverland last season felt way worse, with it's predictable plot twist and how it kept trying to convince you how smart it was, when it really wasn't. Utena wasn't like that and neither is Penguindrum.

That's pretty much exactly how it is for me. Ikuhara doesn't preach at all about any one train of thought, he's just a guy who's having an unrestrained sense of fun in how weird he is. Even if you don't get the symbolism at all for his shows like Penguindrum and Utena, his shows are still very enjoyable on the surface level and his characters are excellent. I think he's pretty self-aware about how ridiculous he is, far from pretentious honestly. He doesn't take himself overly seriously which keeps it from feeling too stuffy and I love that about him.

Last edited:
Haven't watched Horny Kappas yet, but Turkey, buddy, I know you think Ikuhara's pretentious, but I don't know why. You haven't even watched any of his works, have you? The fans may be pretentious, thinking that they're better then others, but I don't think the work itself is. It's just heavy on symbolism, but it doesn't present itself as the greatest work on earth and neither is it the "I'm so smart you won't get me" type. I just think you should maybe give it a try before you judge it, because you might like it. Or you may not, but you'll never know if you don't try. And if we're talking pretentious, for example The Promised Neverland last season felt way worse, with it's predictable plot twist and how it kept trying to convince you how smart it was, when it really wasn't. Utena wasn't like that and neither is Penguindrum.
I actually did watch horny kappas. The first ep.

Pretentiousness is not among my problems with Ikuhara so far. I have many, many others, but I suppose I can't technically call his shoddy badly placed direction style (so far), his overuse of unnecessary and obnoxious symbolism, and his even more obnoxious "quirkiness" which borders on watching manic insanity, which I don't enjoy, pretentious. So to speak.

And yet, I do mean pretentious every time I say it. But there are many users here who like him a lot, so I can't very well go around saying his fans are pretentious, can I?

This ain't the confessions thread but I hope you get what I'm saying.

On the other hand saying fans of something are pretentious because of the way they think all that symbolism and stuff is so much above everything else that I enjoy, may really only be a way for me to spiteful deal with the fact that most people here don't like the things I do, and I've realized this, so I'm just gonna stop it with that and mind my own business. Because no one else's opinions should matter that much to me but my own. Even if they are being that way.

SJCNI43.jpg

Back