Odd Taxi

I'm pretty hyped for this, just because I REALLY liked the first trailer
The story seems interesting. If you're thinking of watching it, I say go for it.

I'm pretty hyped for this, just because I REALLY liked the first trailer
The story seems interesting. If you're thinking of watching it, I say go for it.

I am also quite hyped for this! Small taxi cab conversations, and an animal anime! I can’t wait for the release :balloon:

Episode 1. This is good. I don't wanna say anything, in case I ruin it or something, but this has such a great vibe. The brush type used for lining the background kinda looks like low quality crayon- it's actually really cool. The main body animation is nice and fluid too. I heard this was made by a studio that handles pokemon movies, and I can see it lol. The proportions of the animals never seem out of place or odd- so, aesthetically, I love this show. The music is sooo good too! Please check this out, you won't regret it.

01:

This was excellent from start to finish, I fucking love how natural the dialogue and small talk feels with a side of really intriguing mystery sprinkled at it's core, corrupt cops and a very shady city. A+ script here, there's a pretty eerie chill ambience to this show and I was sucked in right away with it's atmosphere, like the little random flashback Odokawa has when he's asked why he became a taxi driver. Also Odokawa man, he's my spirit animal and a total mood:

UiIvgNi.png

Preach bruh, he's so blunt, grumpy, a straight shooter who says it like it is right there. He takes absolutely no shit from anyone. I don't blame him for the snark there though, that hippo guy completely obsessed with social media was pretty annoying and intrusive that I'd probably sock him in the face. Just non-stop cringing at this guy, selfie culture I think is quite frankly gross lol

Also can't go wrong with music references either like Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Wonder. SAY BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 3 TIMES FAST!

@Claptrap, I'm happy to say you were right on the money. This show is a winner with this first episode and stands to be one of the most interesting first episodes I've seen of the season. This looks like it could be a great psychological drama and I've got an assload of questions.

Last edited:
Also, I'm already betting on this:
All the animal stuff is just the hallucinations of the mc because of the trauma we saw during the brief flashback. I'm calling it.

The unreliable aspect to Odokawa makes this really interesting to me with his sleeping issues, cause I have no idea when he was talking to his closet if anyone was actually there or he was making up shit. Or is there like a corpse in there? It's hard to know whether to actually trust him or not. You have to take everything with a giant grain of salt.

Last edited:
01:

This was excellent from start to finish, I fucking love how natural the dialogue and small talk feels with a side of really intriguing mystery sprinkled at it's core, corrupt cops and a very shady city. A+ script here, there's a pretty eerie chill ambience to this show and I was sucked in right away with it's atmosphere, like the little random flashback Odokawa has when he's asked why he became a taxi driver. Also Odokawa man, he's my spirit animal and a total mood:

UiIvgNi.png

Preach bruh, he's so blunt, grumpy, a straight shooter who says it like it is right there. He takes absolutely no shit from anyone. I don't blame him for the snark there though, that hippo guy completely obsessed with social media was pretty annoying and intrusive that I'd probably sock him in the face. Just non-stop cringing at this guy, selfie culture I think is quite frankly gross lol

Also can't go wrong with music references either like Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Wonder. SAY BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN 3 TIMES FAST!

@Claptrap, I'm happy to say you were right on the money. This show is a winner with this first episode and stands to be one of the most interesting first episodes I've seen of the season. This looks like it could be a great psychological drama and I've got an assload of questions.

Honestly I'm so so happy this is exactly the kind of show I was hoping it was lol
I loved every second of this episode. It's my favourite show of the season already.

As for episode 1, I do wonder if the high school girl is a runaway or in danger from some criminal threat and crashing at Odokawa's. Very well, it could just be that Odokawa is uh... a little unstable but who knows.

I mean, for all we know it could just be the black cat (not anthro) we see in the OP. Maybe he just. like. has a cat. It's kind of implied to me that actually IS it because of the small open window and the figure staying in a closet and asking if its hungry. I mean I also talk to my cat like that lmao.

I definitely think Odokawa is just seeing people as animals, because that flashback of the mother and... child? (who I'm guessing might be Odokawa?) look very much like human people.

Anyway I loved absolutely everything about this.

Its super interesting seeing an anime with an MC that is unreliable. Though this has been explored in other anime, often we're made to trust the mc's judgements, and then it's revealed in a massive way that actually, maybe the MC was wrong. But in this show, there's an underlying sense of untrustworthiness. The amount of suspicion thrown towards the person telling the story makes the viewer trust no one, especially with the end of the episode. In this way, the suspense is built up so well!!

@ZetsubouKaiji should probably get in on this. Intriguing first episode with a good mix of chill ambience and mystery. The characters interact really well with each other and the script is pretty fucking great. I'm not making any theories yet though, I want a couple more episodes before I start with that.

@Nekus not only does that tweet exist, but he has a pretty active twitter in general https://twitter.com/kbsw_t

Okay, so wait, like anime actually decided to be unique and interesting rather than coming up with a wacky premise that falls back on all the usual tropes? Are you feeling okay Japan? or did you really just make
a neo-noir dark comedy, with animal people and an unreliable narrator? And also social satire? Like the extended Bruce Springfield/ age gap joke was not only original, but laugh out loud funny.

Episode 1
The taxi itself isn't odd at all, but the people and circumstances surrounding it sure are.

That is one phat guitar sound for an idol song. I approve.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN SUCKS

Overall, I'd say this is better than the cartoon about fish police. Or dog cops (I can make outdated references too!).

Episode 1:

It's a good thing @Gens never lets me miss the good shit.

This is super interesting :o I'm with @Taek, I don't feel like I have enough yet to start really solidly theorizing, in a way that feels intentional. As many have pointed out: Odokawa is such an unreliable and inscrutable viewpoint character that this could go in so many different directions and still feel natural. And I love that; it feels like the setup for a nice satisfying mental challenge, and here's hoping it delivers on that. Also yeah, his personality is just fun to watch interacting with other people.

I knew some shit was up with that cop pretty fast though... between Odokawa's comments to him, and then just his behavior. "If you have nothing to hide then why not just show me?" is always a red flag (and straight-up coercion), and then he just seizes the SD card from the camera and basically leaves with a thinly-veiled threat...

Man, there's so much going on here. I'm so interested to see where it goes.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.
This episode was rife with entertaining dialogue, and sparse on music and energy. It felt like a low-key episode of Regular Show, if it never got to the wacky part. But there still are bizarre elements of course. You might even say... odd ones.

I think I'm enjoying this, but I can't tell. The one thing I do know is that Walrus man either has a man-eating plant in his closet and is making fun of it by telling it to just leave even though it can't, or the missing girl in there. Only two possibilities for me.

It's looking like there's some police corruption afoot too. I wonder how odd this will get.

Let me just casually drop the fact that the tweet a character makes in the first episode... is actually on twitter. And has been since 10/10/2020. This smells like a fucking ARG and I'm down for it.
https://twitter.com/kbsw_t/status/1314943016344453122
Can't wait to see how deep this mystery will go.
Oh God.

The taxi itself isn't odd at all, but the people and circumstances surrounding it sure are.
Or is it?
Maybe the taxi itself is somehow the source of the oddness. I don't want to say there's some supernatural element going on here but there is definitely a mental one.

Back