Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit

Well, I watched the first ep for one reason and one reason alone: Kenjiro Tsuda's voice. And I definitely wasn't disappointed.

Ep 1
This is some fine quality dumb fluff right here, I approve.

Is this ep great? Nah, it's straight up by the numbers intro-with-action and reminds me of a bunch of different action shows. The op in particular looks like they stole half of it from Midnight occult civil servants' op, which is fine bc they're both pulling from that same small pool of urban fantasy govt bureau tropes (such as they are), so might as well go all out in borrowing aesthetics too.

But does it also have a lady vampire with a cool sword slicing up bullets? Fuck yes, it does. I didn't even know I wanted a lady vampire with a cool sword slicing up bullets until I got it and now that's all I've ever needed. Hopefully she'll get some more character development going on later, but at the very least, I'll be happy with the cool sword. (The cool sword + Kenjiro Tsuda talking, anyway)

I only watched this in the first place for the cast (which is excellent), but I reckon I'll watch for at least a bit longer bc it's pretty promising on the enjoyable dumb fluff front.

Episode 1 wasn't terribly attention grabbing, but this is the sort of show I adore, so I'll be watching it all season regardless of whether it does anything new or not. The central mystery sounds mildly intriguing at any rate, and as I just finished Cop Craft today, this means there will be no gap in my fantasy action cop mystery watching. Lackluster as the year has been in most regards, I've never had three seasons of back to back detective action like this before. It's amazing, and I hope this is a new trend in anime. Also, Kenjiro Tsuda...I'm with @daisicles here- I'd probably watch it just for him.

Episode 1

I dig it.
It's neat how this show takes place a good amount of time after the introduction of vampires/elves/etc into society, to the point that enough time has passed for people get integrated and work out the issues. Now everyone's mostly just chilling (and trying to deal with the terrorists together).

The character designs are cool, I haven't seen any that look quite like this before so they're nice to look at even if they don't animate well.

Action plotline aside, there's definitely more to our MC than what meets the eye. I call BS on him "dodging" that bullet, our guy totally took the hit but absorbed the damage somehow. And was it just me or did the guy from the beginning look just like the MC, just with a different haircut? I was honestly thinking that he was supposed to be a future version of him or something (kinda like Josuke's savior in Jojo's).
I haven't seen a lot of detective anime before but I think I'll keep up with this one for the time being.

And was it just me or did the guy from the beginning look just like the MC, just with a different haircut? I was honestly thinking that he was supposed to be a future version of him or something (kinda like Josuke's savior in Jojo's).

The guy in the beginning definitely looked a lot like him, to the point that even though I know "onii" doesn't just mean older brother, I was briefly under the impression that they were brothers and was confused about why they were acting like strangers. There's definitely something going on - the shot to the stomach was too obvious - but I hadn't really thought about the potential connections between the main character and the cop from the fire that way.

Yup, this show isn't winning any awards for originality any time soon.

Ep 2:
The crime was mildly interesting this time but that resolution was so perfunctory. "Yup, the secretaries got together and planned all four murders. Here, have this drink, we gotta go tell the families we made arrests." And in the scuffle, it looked like Mr Newbie got hurt again, but I couldn't tell if that was actually the case or not - if they're building to a revelation with that, I hope they start to make it clearer soon.

Anyway, they obviously would much rather spend time on the main characters right now and that's fine by me bc I'm def still watching for characters' voices. I think it'd be fun if they had at least one ep devoted to the team trying to scrounge up a case from another department (though the whole "actually we have to go hunting for cases!" thing does make Mr Newbie's addition to the team even more inexplicable than usual with this trope) bc then they wouldn't even have to bother showing the crime stuff that they obviously don't care that much about.

Or they could hurry along to the terrorist ringleader with the interesting hair, I'd be fine with that too.

lols @ Episode 2

"My code name is Boss, because I get to boss these hobos around. Our sniper's code name is Sniper. That guy's Analyzer, 'cos he's the smartest dude we have on the squad. That vampire chick with the sword's Samurai. The little chick with her's code named Ninja, who knows why the fuck. That one's Kenjiro Tsuda, so his code name's Charisma. You, I've only seen you for like, a day, so your code name's going to be Rookie for now. Maybe we can change your code name when you graduate from being a rookie. We could call you something cool like, No Longer a Rookie, or something."

Oy, the obligatory Meet the Team episode. Because the pilot was obviously reserved for showcasing how cool everyone on the team is. Until we get to the middle of the series, where they're up against a villain everyone but the new guy's seemingly so helpless against.

Speaking of the new guy, he's got to be something other than a normie human, right? I mean, it's obvious and plain as day right there. Maybe the show grows a brain and drops the bomb on us next week already. I don't see the sense in hiding something so painfully obvious by this point. Unless the Grand Reveal comes in during that midway episode, where the new guy's the only guy who can actually hold his own against that episode's designated villain.

There are only so few directions this story can go and it's so easy to map out every single one of them. Who wants to bet that guy in the MC's flashback is actually someone important who either shows up again as a bad guy or provokes a moment of incredible character development for Kenjiro Tsuda?

2XVf6.jpg

At least the show still knows what its biggest selling point is.

There are only so few directions this story can go and it's so easy to map out every single one of them. Who wants to bet that guy in the MC's flashback is actually someone important who either shows up again as a bad guy or provokes a moment of incredible character development for Kenjiro Tsuda?

That'd be a sucker's bet - flashback guy is absolutely someone important, though I'm specifically thinking "dead partner whose death provoked Mr Jaded Cop's jadedness" as far as moment of incredible character development goes. Possibly there's multiple connections just to make sure everybody technically gets to win this bet with their choice of crime drama trope.

That'd be a sucker's bet - flashback guy is absolutely someone important, though I'm specifically thinking "dead partner whose death provoked Mr Jaded Cop's jadedness" as far as moment of incredible character development goes. Possibly there's multiple connections just to make sure everybody technically gets to win this bet with their choice of crime drama trope.

What if he's the only person in the world who can call Kenjiro Tsuda by his first name? Now wouldn't that be a cliche of the highest levels.

What if he's the only person in the world who can call Kenjiro Tsuda by his first name? Now wouldn't that be a cliche of the highest levels.

The only one who can use his first name... and it's all bc he apologized to him over the phone for what he was about to do just before walking straight into the fire to sacrifice himself for kid-Newbie.

The only one who can use his first name... and it's all bc he apologized to him over the phone for what he was about to do just before walking straight into the fire to sacrifice himself for kid-Newbie.

And the moment Kenjiro Tsuda gets wind of what his partner actually wants to do, he goes, "when will you learn to stop doing stupid shit for rookies?"

Cue flashback of both men on an early assignment, where Kenjiro Tsuda used to get called Rookie by his former partner. Who might have also been called Charisma, because why the hell not.

Ep 3

Okay, I will absolutely give them all the points for the "just shoot at the magic circle until it stops" approach to handling magic. It doesn't make sense, nothing about that very handwavy explanation of magic really made sense, but it made me laugh, so it's all good. And this case was more team-focused, which seems to be their strong suit, so I hope the show does more of that. (But let's not spend any more time with the camera zoomed in on samurai vampire lady's tits when it panned up to everybody else's face, okay? More subtlety!)

Also that was ridiculously sexy saxophone music there when Mr Jaded Cop hurried over all worried about Mr Newbie. Show, you gotta build up more character development before you start trying to get me to ship anybody, even the most basic of basic "newbie/jaded pro" pairings, c'mon.

Episode 3:

I'm sorry, I couldn't focus on anything this week, because check out Analyzer's digs.

2XZpc.jpg

Like, I know the room is so bare - excuse me, minimalist - but what the fuck is going on with those lamps?

2XZpd.jpg

And that clock? Totally want one.

That said, I should totally do the "glasses in the pen holder mug" thing, so I don't keep knocking my pair around first thing in the mornings.

2XZpe.jpg

I can see the beginnings of a technology versus magic debate now. Remember not to use too much magic, kiddos. Do too much of it and you just might go blind.

Episode look boring but I’ll give it a chance btw why like why is there a 9 year old in this tbh it’s already full of adults ‍

Back