Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit

Kinda wavering on this one. The characters in this show need to be a little more eccentric before it can be any competition for Double Decker. And it doesn't seem quite good enough to stand on its own as a "serious" show.

I'll admit tho, I chuckled when they were talking about magic and "You could use it to take down a plane" was quickly followed up with "You could use a missile to do that too." Nice save there.

I'm just wondering how long are they gonna hide the totally obvious abilities of the rookie? I mean he has to have some healing type thing going on.
But I'm actually enjoying this a lot so far

Ep 5

I was more into this ep than I had been - the show seems like it's more interested in its terrorist plotline than in the one-offs, so I hope we're gonna keep diving into that for a few more weeks. (And since I associate Hiroaki Hirata's voice entirely with father figures of dubious competency, it's a bit weird to hear him as the terror group leader.)

The plot was still nothing at all special, but the team interactions were fun and I liked distraction by pet cat talk, would watch again.

Episode 5.
Those guys had their guns trained on him, and clearly saw him slide those pistols out of his sleeves...and somehow they still all get shot first? The fuck.

Episode 5:

Listen, in all fairness,

that bad guy twist threw me for a real loop. That explains why they made the bad guy lackey ugly on purpose, so that we don't recognize him as the handsome dead guy who's somehow connected to every major character in this show? Is it bad that was the first thing I thought of when they revealed that ending twist?

I still don't know why I'm still watching this, to be honest.

Episode 3.
That episode was the bomb. HEYO!
Elf Guy's brother is totally gonna turn out to be alive and a bad guy. I can see it already.
Called it.
----------
Episode 6.
The really lackluster animation kind of sapped all the fun out of these action scenes.
They're fighting a freaking dragon in a shopping mall, and I was bored out of my mind. Same with the attack against the terrorists. They specify it needs to happen quick, but the animation is borderline quicksand like in speed.
Weak.

Ep. 7-
What can I say- I'm still enjoying this, and the mystery surround Nine and the attack nine years ago is finally starting to become clear. This episode was both a nice break from the action, and yet continued to develop the plot- in fact, a lot of the questions that have been danced around in previous episodes got directly addressed here- I was actually surprised by this. Yeah, it was a little too convenient how everyone wound up wanting Vietnamese food, but it was funny, so I'll forgive them. I'm very curious what Nijo has discovered, and about what's going to happen with his brother.

Episode 7.
Oh, fun. An episode where everyone is just dicking around. Cause that's what I'm watching this show for...

Also, that Dwarf guy should be ashamed of himself. Romancing an elf. Disgraceful.

it's not entirely original, but it does have some original aspect to it. I liked how it opened up and I liked how it's playing out. the team of misfits (from the appearance) has been paired up rather nicely as they try to solve crimes and protect from terrorists. appears each one has brought something of use to the team and I'm curious as to the mystery behind the main guy. otherwise, it's impressive how well this one is turning out, and the most recent episode of rest was interesting as well.

Listen, more action scenes should be shot with jazzy soundtracks like this one, really adds this special layer of coolness and charm that wasn't there at the start. But hell, it was hard to concentrate on anything, because physics - how was Rookie even able to jump that high? Maybe Boss should have told everyone on the team about the dragon's weakness instead of just those two guys? Are those two ladies lady friends or ladyfriends if you catch my meaning?

2YUB7.jpg

2YUB8.jpg

These are the eyes of a bonafide psychopath and no one can convince me otherwise.

And shit, after that last episode, there goes my ladyfriend hypothesis.

And ha, look at these losers, wearing their work clothes on their day off.

Episode 8.
They finally give Belle a focus episode...
and she spends it locked in a shipping container. What a waste.

Alright, I'mma add my half a cent to this mix. I finally got around to watching this after putting it on my list, and...I'm dropping at episode 4.

Let me explain my reasoning as someone who loves mystery; it's really quite a basic reason:
As a "mystery" and crime series, this falls hard.

The case-by-case episodes are so easy to figure out that it's an insult, and move way too quickly to get a decent grasp of the lore and other information which just sort of whizzes by.

By episode two, I think it's pretty freaking obvious that the protagonist has some relation to the dragons and-or at least isn't completely human due to what we've seen him do. Mostly, getting shot in the gut, cut on the leg, half blown up, tossed from a moving truck...he barely even reacts to injury. Not to mention being completely uninjured when we first meet him in episode 1 despite the carnage around him.

It seems rather silly that nothing about him has been revealed considering that by the end of episode 1 it was pretty obvious that he's not completely human.

Another obvious thing (to me) is that the guy who saved our protagonist in the first episode (and was 2's old partner...I can't remember the guy's name, or really any of the names except for Belle, but they have numbers in their names so I'm using that) is totally the guy with the scar on his face helping Nine.
I only have speculation on the "why" and "how", but it's way too obvious that's him.

Speaking of obvious, the anime's plot, and every event, is completely predictable. There's barely any tension (the most tension was when they had to disarm the bombs, and when that kid's life was on the line). In episode four, I knew who the criminal was and how they did it while said culprit was being interviewed by 7 and 2.

Now, I could be completely wrong about the protagonist and the guy with the scar...and if I am, then good on the creator of the anime for their red herring.

Back