O Maidens in Your Savage Season

Just finished watching the 18 minute long ep 1 preview and I'm pretty impressed by it. The dialog is nicely delivered by the voice actors and, if the subtitles are to be trusted, written to a higher standard than most anime.

If the show maintains this quality, I'll stick with it.

tenor.gif

Oh, I am ALL THE F*** IN on this show.

What an engaging first episode. It's not perfect, by any means, but it's dynamic and funny--and pretty darn unique.

Because, yes, we've seen a million anime schoolgirls (and their dutiful male love interests) fluster like hell at the idea of sex, clinging so wholeheartedly to their virginities as to create a bubble absent even the idea of sexuality around them...but, really, how many of them have been honest enough to admit that, however unready or afraid or embarrassed they are, they really actually do have sexual urges? It's a conflict I am excited to see this show delve into, the internal struggle exacerbated by the external pressures and roiling within their own (totally believable) self-contradictions.

Assuming they go that route, of course. Which, from this, seems to be the case.

And I just love how immediately I can grasp the main case of characters. Each of them is distinct and rounded from the opening moments, even before the traditional expository list-all-the-girls-and-their-assigned-quirk moment (which was certainly among the better implementations of the cliche), which is something I haven't seen done this well since...well, since the first episode of Miru Tights.

The flaw, at the moment, is the manner in which they swing from jokey to serious. Because the humor is portrayed like that of a more overtly comic show, where the jokes are gags performed for the sake of the audience, not humor that arises from within the universe. To jump from the serious concerns of our main protagonist's more-than-friends affection for her friend coming directly into conflict with her complex fear of/frustration at her level of sexual readiness to a series of double-entendres as she sprints manically away from her first encounter with the existence of his sexuality, for example, seems so lacking in subtlety that one would be forgiven for thinking two different writers were penning the script.

The emotions and dynamics, here, are heavy and complex, and I'd hate to see that...not spoiled, exactly, but under-served by a less deftly-handled counterbalance of humor.

BUT...the big takeaways are very much a positive. Let's hope the momentum keeps up.

Episode 1:

Surprisingly engaging first episode that felt like a more mature take on the subject matter. The immaturity and cringe behavior of the characters definitely feel like some adult working out their teenage traumas. It's a little bit funny, it's a little bit dramatic and all of it is hella awkward.

Also that bit with the train going into the tunnel at the end made the melodramatic scene even funnier. Sex isn't that big of a deal, but you don't know that when you're an inexperienced idiot teenager.

Whenever I see something too embarrassing in an anime, I often take a time out. I don't know if I'll survive this one lads.

It seems like it's only going to be more cringe from here. Especially if it is going to keep going with the melodrama. I'm probably not going to do well with it either if it's not going to balance it with the humor. I'll just have to lick up my sweet pork soup and talk about other things.

Episode 1:
This is very interesting and dynamic so far. I already like the characters' personalities and how they bounce off of each other. I also really do like the seiyuu involved :3

I was expecting the anime to be cringey, but so far it is taking it in a mature way.
However, I can't say I can really relate to the big themes here. Sex isn't really something I was ever interested in. I am far more interested in boring shit that nobody cares about haha :3. I do appreciate the perspectives involved though, but hopefully it isn't drowned out by the melodrama.

Episode 1:
This is very interesting and dynamic so far. I already like the characters' personalities and how they bounce off of each other. I also really do like the seiyuu involved :3

I was expecting the anime to be cringey, but so far it is taking it in a mature way.
However, I can't say I can really relate to the big themes here. Sex isn't really something I was ever interested in. I am far more interested in boring shit that nobody cares about haha :3. I do appreciate the perspectives involved though, but hopefully it isn't drowned out by the melodrama.

I agree completely and am now hooked on this anime. Very funny

Episode 1:
Gone are the days of innocence :D
I cringed, hard. But it was funny, so I'll stay for next episode.
never walk in to people's rooms without letting them know...But on second thoughts, I wonder why the door to the house was left open? Also, why play loud music?

I wonder why the door to the house was left open
Yeah. Though I've seen this on more than one anime series, I can't tell if it's oft-used narrative convenience or if it's totally normal to leave your front door unlocked if you are up and about at home. (Which hurts my paranoid sensibilities, but...)

Also, why play loud music?
Um...everyone has his preferences?

Yeah, I dunno. The only practical purpose that would seem to serve in the story is that it's likely what prevents him from hearing her enter the house and walk up the stairs. Though using headphones or just having the video's volume up louder would do the same thing. He's not using it to obfuscate the moaning from the video to any neighbors or passersby, because it's clearly audible from outside his room. (Which I assumed was supposed to elicit fears that he was having sex with that girl who said she was gonna take his virginity.)

Maybe he was listening to music, doing other internet stuff, and then decided to jerk off? Like, he wasn't going to take time away from his onanistic pursuits to shut off the stereo when he could just ignore it. Or maybe he really does just like to have the background noise.

I was more concerned with how calmly he reacted to her intrusion. Specifically with whether I was supposed to note that as a display of his personality or merely a throwaway gag.

He's not using it to obfuscate the moaning from the video to any neighbors or passersby, because it's clearly audible from outside his room.
Possibly. Or maybe he meant the music to obfuscate the moaning, but he wasn’t aware that it wasn’t working.

I was more concerned with how calmly he reacted to her intrusion. Specifically with whether I was supposed to note that as a display of his personality or merely a throwaway gag.

I think he was so mortified that he was in a state of resignation. What’s been seen...has been seen. I can’t think of a better solution than to make sure that no one else knows of the incident.

I have zero idea how the two will face each other next time they meet...all because he left the door open lol.

Last edited:
Back