Say "I love you."

Alt title: Suki-tte Ii na yo.

Add review
athenawolf101's avatar
Jul 22, 2014

Say "I Love You" or Suki-tte li na yo is totally recommended if you are a romance anime junkie. However it's not as cliche as it seems to be. I have been wanting to watch this anime for awhile, and while I had a friend over, I decided why the heck not. My friend fell in love with this anime and the charcters. The story doesn't twist too much to the point where you want to rip you're hair out. (one of those animes is Kimi ni Todoke, another review for that anime later.) The anime wraps up the story nicely and although short episode wise, it's pretty long story wise. Say "I Love You" had a certain touch to it that made it slightly realistic, and not too boring, or dragging you along. However, I will say, Tachibana Mei is a Mary-Sue. Some may not agree but I think everything was going a little too perfect for her throughout the story. Every girl is entitled to their own fairytale. However, if I see this with my own 2 eyes, with real people, I shall change my opinion

The animation was great, not too scribbly, but it was cutsie! Love the style!

When I say sound, I mean voice actors. I don't agree with some of the voice actors, like Takahiro Sakurai as Yamato. Never watched the dub and never will. I loved the sub, and sometimes dub ruins it slightly.

The charcters had their great points, but I felt like they all fell through with mei eventually, and it wa sa bit quick. Like Aiko Mutō, it took one, 2 episdoes? and then it was all good with Mei. I thought that went alittle too fast, maybe they could have put that as alittle side thing instead of for example the cookie baking. But that's my opinion. I'm no animator.

Overall I give this anime a 9.2, I'd hate to give it a perfect score because it is such a realistic anime, no fairy wands or wishes that make it perfect.

If you read this whole thing, kudos to you! If you think I was wrong? Want to discuss a point? Leave me a comment!

9.2/10 overall
Nequillie's avatar
Dec 27, 2014

I wanted to see an anime that had a lot of kisses because oh lord most anime's doesn't even have one (I'M LOOKING AT YOU CLANNAD & NORAGAMI YOU DISAPPOINTED ME). There will be spoilers in this review, but the overall score is without any spoilers :3

Story: 4/10

Alright, so it's about an unsocial girl who meets this attractive and popular boy, they fall in love and yeah...I guess you know what it's about. The story itself is cute, but some of the drama is just...Weird. You know, I stopped when all of that jealousy thing came because it made me want to rip my hair off. Not in a good way, it annoyed me so much. In most anime's they have moments when nothing is happening, litterally nothing. The same with this. I don't know how many episode the jealousy part was, but it was so freaking boring I just stopped, I knew it would end in the most cheesy way with Yamato kissing Mei sorry or something. It's just too cheesy with all the random kisses and such.

yup i'm talking about that scene.

Animation: 5/10

Their bodies looked so weird, it annoyed the hell out of me! I can't eally say anything else than that, sorry

Sound: 8/10

I don't know, the sound was ok I guess. I didn't really affect me.

Characters: 4/10

Allllllllllrightyyyyyyyyyyy...

Let's satrt with Mei.

I liked her character, really. She is an unsocial, cat loving, insecure and good looking girl. The typical main character if you ask me.

But Yamato tho,

He's such a douch like omg why would you want that piece of gabbage. It all was really cute UNTIL the freaking thing with him sleeping with girls to make them happy omfg

I can't even

You can't mean that

All in all I'll give it 6/10. It's a cute story even tho it turns out to be really cliche love story

written by an eight year old. The kisses can be toooooooooooooo much, the characters are ok. If you like weird looking bodies, well then this is something for you.

anime99's avatar
Nov 1, 2014

This anime was amazing. It is perfect for you if you love romatic animes.

The excellent storyline and everything about it is just amazing. Whoever is reading this all i have to say is that

You really really really need to watch it aha; its absolutely jawgripping :)

lemi513's avatar
Jul 8, 2015

I really enjoyed watching this show. It is a romance but it is not overwhelmingly soppy or over the top. It had a good pace and an emotional ride while watching it.

It deals with mental health issues as well such as anxiety, body image, depression. It shows that these issues arejust part of life rather then concentrating on theses they are more sideline background sort of things. They add to the story and allow people who suffer from similiar issues to relate and normalise what is happening to them.

I would recommend watching this anime, however, you may want to bring some tissues. I'm giving it a 9/10 as I dont feel that it managed to end, while there was no cliff hanger there was no closure.

thatnerdygirl's avatar
Dec 25, 2014

Okay, so I have read/watched anime and manga across the board from horror to romance and if you are looking for a really heartwarming love story that takes you by surprise watch Suki-tte li na yo. Trust me the way the characters react is paralell to real life and is by far the best romance-type anime you can watch I highly reccomend :D

Flint879's avatar
Aug 10, 2015

THE STORY IS: Mei Tachibana is an unsocialable girl who has no friends & plans to keep it that way...until she round house kicks Yamato by mistake down a flight of stairs. Yamato is the most popular & attractive guy in the school. After that encounter, Mei has attracted the attention of Yamato. He starts to pursue Mei & little by little he seems to start breaking Mei out of her shell.

Of course the story is going to be cliche. Most popular high school boy pursues the most unpopular girl school & develop a romance around it. Regardless, it wasn't bad. There was nothing special about it & it won't do anything to "wow" you. On the other hand, it was an enjoyable romance to watch develop. It was a romance that I was rooting for the entire way through. In terms of being an enjoyable watch or not, if you're into romances, then Say I love you was a decent watch & worth my time I spent on it. There were a few things that I didn't really care for about it though that kind of kept me from fully enjoying it.

THE BAD:

-Firstly, I understand that Mei is supposed to be bad/awkward at social interactions & such, but it kind of got annoying after a while when she constantly doubts herself about everything. Mostly, I thought it was just an overplayed move that I got tired of for a single character.

-The anime developed nicely & smoothly for the most part, it focused soley on Yamato & Mei. While this is not a bad thing, I kind of would've liked to have seen some more development in other characters instead of introducing them & leaving them off on the sidelines.

-The ending. I'm not crazy about romance animes, but I will watch them if they seem interesting. The one thing I have learned about a good romance is to leave off on a good note/ending. Say I love you didn't do that. It just sort of...ended. It had no real conclusive feel to it. While it left off on a positive note, it didn't have a satisfying feeling to everything that has happened up to that point. That's just me. Other people have found it to be great, but I like to walk away from a romance story satisfied & this one didn't live up to it.

OVERALL: I am kind of on the fence about Say I love you. I enjoyed watching polar opposites develop a romance, but the drama fell flat & it was a very unenjoyable ending to a romance that I spent 13 episodes watching the baby steps being taken to an adequate place. Honestly though, it's definitely one of the better romance animes out there.

6.5/10 sound
6.5/10 characters
Eiraza's avatar
Aug 2, 2018

Say "I love you" is an anime about people who have trust issues...except Yamato. He's perfect...almost...I could rate him up there with Usui-kun from Maid-sama but Yamato does have flaws. Its hard to compete with Usui since he's an alien haha. SO yea Yamato is the love interest of our main character Mei and he is just too darn perfect. Like seriously. Girls guys like this do not exist! You can get close but not as close as you want XD.

Mei has trust issues and Yamato gets her to open up because he fell in love with her and her roundhouse kick and laid out those kisses in the first two episodes. That's right I said the first two episodes. Really its a shame we don't have more animes that launch into a relationship right away and show us their growth and hardships they face and learn to overcome together.

This anime also has a fairly realistic approach to high schoolers, more so then most. You don't get that innocent feeling from the characters (except Mei) and its pretty refreshing honestly. Like I know when I was in high school people were definitely getting laid so it was nice to see that concept grasped among this setting.

Now that being said this anime has its flaws, there are some cliche moments but luckily they aren't overwhemling and are usually handled in a satisfying way. I will say that it made me mad when Kai yelled at Yamato for not being able to 'tellwhen Mei was upset. Like excuse me, Yamato is not the only one to blame. If Mei just told him what was on her mind right away we wouldn't be in this mess. Don't just yell at Yamato. Its dumb. BOY AND GIRLS I will tell you this. YOUR PARTNER IS NOT PSYCHIC. THEY CAN NOT READ YOUR MIND! If something is bothering you C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-E! As soon as Yamato and Mei talks things out problems are solved. It takes both parties to be open with each other to make a relationship work when something is bothering you. I know these things I've been in a relationship for almost 6 years now. It takes a long time before your partner can pick up on those itty bitty details and even then they aren't perfect. Just speak child, speak.

Anywhoo.....now that thats off my chest...

The art style was good, I saw people comparing it to Kimi no Todoke or whatever that anime is called and I think its probably a cross between that and Ouran High Host Club. There are a lot of times Mei reminds me of Haruhi. And just the way they hit those outlines, especially on Nagi. You'll understand when you watch it.

Overall a good anime that definitely leaves you wanting more so on to the manga I go :3

leialilith04's avatar
May 19, 2019

Honestly, i had to drop this anime, i just didnt want to finish it, i only got a few episodes in and it just seemed to be very unrealistic. I found that her character changed within the fist half of the first episode, and i was disapointed because i wanted to see more of how she was at the beginning because it got my hopes up for an intersting anime, but instead they made be love struck. In the begining it was said that she never spoke and no one had ever heard her, but then as soon as she meets yamato her persona changes completely. I dont know, just not very interesting and strong storyline to be honest.

DarkTear's avatar
Apr 24, 2016

𝕀 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕡𝕣𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕪 𝕘𝕠𝕠𝕕. 𝕀 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕒 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕖, 𝕞𝕒𝕚𝕟𝕝𝕪 𝕓𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕦𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕒 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕕𝕖𝕥𝕒𝕚𝕝𝕤. 𝕀𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕒, 𝕂𝕦𝕣𝕠𝕤𝕒𝕨𝕒 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕒𝕟 𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕞𝕒 𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕖... ℍ𝕖 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕔𝕠𝕠𝕝 𝕢𝕦𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒𝕚𝕣 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙 𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕨𝕖𝕝𝕝 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕟𝕚𝕔𝕖, 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕒 𝕤𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥, 𝕒𝕝𝕞𝕠𝕤𝕥 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕠𝕗𝕗𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕒𝕦𝕣𝕒 𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖𝕤... 𝕀 𝕨𝕒𝕤𝕟’𝕥 𝕔𝕖𝕣𝕥𝕒𝕚𝕟 𝕂𝕦𝕣𝕠𝕤𝕒𝕨𝕒’𝕤 𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕨𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕡𝕦𝕣𝕖 𝕒𝕥 𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕤𝕥, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕤𝕖𝕖 𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕖𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕧𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕤𝕖𝕖 𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕖𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕄𝕖𝕚 𝕒𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕒 𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕠𝕟... 𝕄𝕖𝕚 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕒 𝕔𝕝𝕒𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕔 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕚𝕔 𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕠𝕚𝕟𝕖, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕤𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕚𝕕 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕟𝕖𝕔𝕥 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕒𝕨𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕗𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕠𝕟.... 𝕀 𝕗𝕖𝕖𝕝 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕚𝕥 𝕨𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕓𝕖 𝕓𝕖𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕗 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕒... 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕎𝔸𝕊𝕋𝔼 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖... 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕨𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕀 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜.. 𝕀 𝕣𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝟜.𝟝/𝟙𝟘 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕔𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕒 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕒 𝟜.𝟝/𝟙𝟘; 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕟𝕠 𝕡𝕝𝕠𝕥. 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 (𝕤𝕡𝕠𝕚𝕝𝕖𝕣 𝕒𝕝𝕖𝕣𝕥) 𝕋𝕒𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕓𝕒𝕟𝕒 𝕜𝕖𝕖𝕡𝕤 𝕠𝕟 𝕓𝕖𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕦𝕡𝕤𝕖𝕥 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕐𝕒𝕞𝕒𝕥𝕠 𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕔𝕦𝕖 𝕖𝕒𝕔𝕙 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕡 𝕙𝕖𝕣. 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕚𝕟 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕨𝕙𝕪, 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕓𝕒𝕓𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕖𝕡𝕚𝕤𝕠𝕕𝕖 𝟟, 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕤 𝕘𝕖𝕥 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕓𝕠𝕣𝕚𝕟𝕘. 𝕀 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕𝕟'𝕥 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕥𝕠 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕒𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕖𝕡𝕚𝕤𝕠𝕕𝕖 𝟠.

4.5/10 story
7.8/10 overall
Rbastid's avatar
Nov 12, 2015

Say I love you, well love is a strong word, how about I say I can tolerate you.

Story - 7/10

The series puts the typical high school anime on it's head. Generally is the male loner/nerd/loser who lusts for the beautiful queen of the school, but in S.I.L.Y. it's the school's big man on campus who falls for the introverted female student.

The story plays out much like real life, not too many wacky plots or curveballs, just two young people trying to navigate a blossoming relationship.

A few points of contention with the series are their attempts to create drama, such as Megumi and Yamato's business relationship, just makes you dislike Mei instead of making you feel bad for her. The series also was abruptly cut short, with the last two episodes serving little to no purpose and story lines dying in their infancy.

It would seem the writers had good intentions for the series, but just fell apart when they needed to expand on the stories.

Animation - 9/10

It seems in Anime there is always a very noticeable visual difference in series versus movies. Even within the same franchise you can see the details and color pallets ramped up when it comes time for motion picture version. In Say I Love You the line between the two formats is finally blurred.

As I started to watch I questioned whether this was a series or a feature film. It was so beautifully animated and the colors were those rich deep tones you just never seem to get in tv. There was also great use of light, it felt as if there was a cinematographer in the drawing room setting key and fill lights, as well as making sure each light had a source and wasn't just there for no reason.

In the first episode or two they took a shot at having wacky animation during those hair brained moments, but thankfully they abandoned that very quickly (say for one scene in the final episode,) or else the beauty of the series could have been ruined by a cheap trick.

Sound - 8/10

Surprisingly, for an anime of this genre, I actually liked both the opening and closing songs of the series. The opening theme was a little cutesy, but it matches the overall feeling of the show. On the other hand the ending theme, musically, sounds like one of the giants of the anime music world, The Pillows. Even though the song was released in 2012 it really has that mid nineties indie sound, like Pavement, or later bands like Dr. Dog and Bloc Party.

The voice over work on the English version was also very well done. While there were the few overly annoying voices anime has become known for, the majority of the series is pretty true to life.

As for the rest of it. The music throughout the series stays very low key, enhancing the scenes but never over powering them. It's your typical piano melodies that are common in anime, so nothing that would blow you out of the water.

Characters - 7/10

It's funny how the creators almost seem to try and make the characters you're supposed to be sympathetic to, highly unlikeable.

Mei's backstory is pretty simplistic, a girl who was betrayed by her friends at a young age, so now she shuts herself off from the rest of the world, so that she's never hurt again. It's a story I'm sure many people can relate to, but most of those people learn to grow up and move on. If this happened recently it would be understandable why Mei became antisocial, but the events that changed her happened years earlier, yet she still allows it to dictate her life. Throughout the series it never seems to get easier to root for Mei. Over and over people try to befriend her and make her happy, but she lets her insecurities and jealousy get in the way, to the point where she unfairly judges everyone else and treats them terribly. Although Mei knows the hurt of being bullied, she in her own way bullies those who try and help her, by pushing them away or making them feel awkward for not putting her first.

The male lead, Yamato, is basically playing the role we normally see filled by the nerdy friend. Like Mei, an experience in middle school has shaped the person he is, but in his case it's made him a better person. Despite being the handsome one at school, he's actually the nice guy looking out for his friends, always thinking of them first, so when he see's the lonely outcast, Mei, he's attracted to her uniqueness and personality. He doesn't really divert off his initial course as the series goes on, trying to keep everyone happy, while not thinking about the optics.

The other characters in the series follow the typical outline for school anime. The goofy friend and his equally goofy girlfriend, the reformed b*tch, the mysterious tough guy with a soft heart and the evil school queen who won't give up till she gets everything she wants. While these characters are all far from original, they do their part by moving the story along and not getting in the way (though that did trail off at the end by trying to give stand alone episodes.)

Overall - 8/10

For a short series they managed to hit on just the right points. Sure the ending was completely random, and the characters were generic and unpleasant, but the realness of the series will grab anyone who watches the first episode. I don't know where they could have gone if the series went any further, as in reality not much went on in the series, so I'm kind of glad it ended before we got thrown into the beach episode, and the hot springs episode, the winter vacation episode and the new school year episode, that every single anime of this sort throws at us.

CatKun's avatar
Jul 8, 2016

Say "I love you" or Sukitte Ii Na Yo is a truly heart warming anime. It has all the right elements you need to enjoy a good romance without having to scream at the screen in fustration XD  Anyone looking for that perfect romance with tons of cute kissing scenes, I recommend this one for sure! With that I will begin my full scale review.

Story...

What I enjoyed about the story was not just the romance, but the real life problems we all struggle through. It shows you the challenges of going through loneliness, body image, bullying, blending in with the crowd, gossiping and so much more. I loved how the main characters start dating from the start! It is definitely something new to me in these types of anime's but I enjoyed it and it is really nice to see the couples complications and how they overcome it.

The main story of a shy girl dating the popular guy is cliche BUT this anime executes it very well and takes a very unique twist to it, making the viewers look at relationships in a whole new light.

Animation...

Simply beautiful. The characters don't have this huge eye popping look to them but I like that, I enjoy the "down to earth" look these characters have, makes it feel more real. In some scenes the characters get to have their "moments" as I like to call it when the whole screen panels onto them and they just shine. The girls and the guys have their own personal look to them and it's just overall beautiful.

Sound...

Nothing in particular stood out for me but the soundtrack was very subtle and cute. It was really good at setting a perfect romantic scene. It was a very good balance!

Characters...

You get a nice introduction with each character and a glimpse into the problems they face, whether it be dealing with love or their friendship. Even though the characters were a bit cliche (Ex. Shy girl, popular guy, perverted guy friend, girl friend with big tits...) each character has its own unique quality which is something I really enjoyed, I really hate when certain anime mash up the secondary characters together. It gives you insight of each friend without leaving you forgetting about the main characters. But, because it does that so quickly I hate how the secondary characters are then kind of kept to the side after the get their issue resolved, I wanted to see more growth!

OVERALL... 9/10 I loved every moment and this is one of the first romance anime I have seen that had alot of kissing scenes! Yay! You felt their love and you felt the pain/struggles they went through, it was a really touching anime! PLEASE WATCH!!

-Thanks for reading! <3

Monroe's avatar
Feb 6, 2018

I’m aware that I have to write this without the manga in mind, which is difficult. If you like this anime, I recommend reading the manga because it’s extremely different, not that both aren’t interesting on their own.

The story is short and to the point. Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy almost loses girl, and so on. It’s a pretty typical romance anime, but that’s what I liked about it. It has all your usual romance anime clichés.

As far as romance anime is concerned, the animation in this show is above average. I thought it was beautiful. It helped with the slower paced/realistic atmosphere it was going for.

The music is lovely and goes well with the story. I personally enjoyed the ending credit songs more so than the opening, but that’s opinion, really.

The characters were somewhat different than in the manga, which I know I shouldn’t compare it to. Mei and Yamato are much more reserved in the show, which made their characters bland. This was disappointing because Mei’s character in the show can be somewhat annoying. The show was also short, so there was little time to really delve into the characters.

Overall, if you like romance, then you’ll like this, plain and simple.

Jak25's avatar
Jun 29, 2018

*SPOILER FREE REVIEW*

Hello everyone, name’s Jak and I’ll be your reviewer for today. This will also be my first review, so any feedback you have is mostly appreciated. So, after this short intro, let’s jump right into it.

Firstly, if you’re wondering if shoujo anime/manga is just for girls, let me tell you you’re wrong. As a boy, I confess that I felt a little “afraid” that this type of anime would be full of girly stuff but it turns out that the shoujo reference mostly dictates the art style (of course you’ll still have some drama and some romance, but that much is a given). Characters have usually big eyes and some glossy feel. Other than that, it’s pretty normal so don’t feel like this is an excuse not to watch this anime. With this cleared, let’s move on.

Say “I Love You” starts with the typical story of boy meets girl. In this case, the girl is Tachibana Mei, a social outcast, and the boy is Kurosawa Yamato, the most popular guy in school (this is probably when the eyes start rolling). Furthermore, he fell in love right after being kicked down the stairs (he’s an M right?). Still, I can vouch the rest of the story isn’t as cliché.

I know that some people give more value to the story, but for people like me, animation plays an important role (that’s part of the reason why I struggled the first time I watched Bakemonogatari, but that’s for a different review). This one though, the animation is pretty on point, so no worries there.

Sound is a difficult one for me to evaluate. It’s not like it’s bad (it’s not) but it’s not memorable either. I’ve only watched this a few days ago and I don’t even remember what the intro was like! During the episodes, though, the soundtrack was appropriate for the mood, so there’s at least that ^^’

This is a big one. For starters, I can’t stress out how much I dislike the male protagonist! There’s this aura about him that doesn’t really feel honest. Not only that but every time he did something that made me feel “Ok, this guy isn’t so bad after all…” he blew it right after and the feeling “Nope, now I hate you even more!!!” always came rushing.

On the other hand, I could feel quite some empathy from the female protagonist. Although this made me feel a bit like a girl (>.<), the construction for Mei was really solid, giving you a bit of an insight on her past and why she acts like she does. The only thing I can’t figure out, and this may be a bit biased by the previous point, is why does she fall in love with Yamato. I really can’t find a single good point about him…

There are other characters that I could mention in this, but hardly without giving some minor spoilers, so I’ll choose not to. I will say this however: being a romance anime, it’s all about these two main characters, Mei and Yamato. The rest are your classic supportive characters that still get some focus and background info, just not as much screen time.

TL;DR

Overall, this is a pretty solid story, that starts being cliché but manages to evolve into something more interesting. The pace was slow sometimes, but it’s somewhat understandable from a slice of life type. My hatred for the male character kind of spoiled this for me, but it is a pretty decent anime for those that can get over that.

ClarkSan's avatar
Oct 6, 2019

I love the anime. It the type that makes you happy but at the same time makes you sad.

Danielle3elleinad's avatar
Aug 3, 2015

I absolutely LOVED this anime!

It had the perfect amount of comedy to make me laugh at points but not too much to make me roll my eyes and give up on the serious part of the story!

It's the perfect romance! The heart warming, heart breaking, desiring, gut wrenching! The hate I felt, the commitment I felt! I HATED coming to the end of this show! It was jsut too perfect! It made my cry tears of pain and happiness!

This has to be my favorite romance! I RECCOMEND THIS!:

Romance lovers.

Heart break lovers.

Emotional lovers!!!

It was perfect! Everything said, everything done! I felt like I was there watching it. My heart broke, it healed, it bled, it warmed... PERFECT!

PERFECTION HERE!

DO! NOT! SKIP! THIS! ANIME!

You'll regret it! It was amazing! <3 :')

I tried entering 1,000 for the scorings... ;-;

Didn't allow me... ;-;

biscitu's avatar
Mar 30, 2018

SPOILER ALERT (POSSIBLY??!)

The animes alright but some scenes with characters are just too obvious and called for;  such as scenes with jealous girls and Kurosawa...T^T

And the way Mei reacts over these girls obssessing over Kurosawa gets tiring at times...the character development for her is pretty slow..

Some scenes could definitely been written much more interestingly than how it actually worked out~

BUT as many have said down below this isn't a 'soppy cliche' romance anime which is quite nice at times but fustrating at other times cause you just want something to happen between the two but- !!!!

The animation is quite low quality, but I shouldn't really be picky about it, it came out in 2012 o.o

Overall I give a 7/10, only because the GOOD scenes in this anime are incredibly great, but the not so good scenes are...well yeah. Voice acting was awesome especially for Mei (the shaking and stuttering was flawwwlessss) Many scenes had me tearing up either from laughter, sadness or joy T-T

I definitely reccommend this anime but I advise a lot of patience with the storylines and characters development.

Also+ The theme song is so cute and relaxing ahhh #-# (ok done :p)

7.5/10 story
nuharali's avatar
Mar 20, 2015

I  personally am not a big fan of romance anime's as i find them boring and always cliche with their story lines, how ever Say i love you for me was very enjoyable i highly recommend it! i do think this would be the perfect anime for teenagers as it has elements that every teenage girl feels at some point during high school. As a perfect anime to the beginners as its not very serious with the plot but isn't cute and child like. All in all id say 10/10 brilliant and must watcg

snivets's avatar
Dec 31, 2012

Suki-tte Ii na Yo is a very simple shoujo anime with a mellow and realistic setting. A lot of people compare it to Kimi ni Todoke because of the very similar premise for both shows, but by the end, I felt that KnT took an entirely different direction, focusing on the chase, rather than the post-formation relationship dynamics. Also the side characters are completely different and make the atmosphere completely different, but I digress.

Story:  A basic story about a shy, plain girl with no friends, Mei, and a popular boy, Yamato, who fall in love with each other, Suki-tte Ii na Yo has a very character-driven, slow moving plot. Like all stories with a romance at their center, the plot consists mainly of various challenges that appear and cause the characters to change. Most of the challenges to Mei and Yamato's relationship come from within (their personalities, their needs, their past traumas) rather than from without, although there are the token rivals who bump into them and direct the plot for a few episodes.

This story excels is its simplicity. It doesn't focus on "the chase" part of budding relationships as is more common in shoujo anime. Instead, it depicts two high schoolers who are very much in love with each other and shows them learning to negotiate the newness of their relationship, as well as learning to communicate their feelings and expectations for each other. It also contains a fairly small cast of side characters, who similarly develop through their interactions with each other.

It also excels is its realism. Touching oh-so-lightly on societal issues like teenage romance and sex, the dieting and weight issues that go along with self-image and self-conciousness of young women, and a little more heavily on issues of bullying, celebrities dealing with the internet hate machine, and stalking, I thought that the show really gave a good depiction of how tough life as a normal (or not-so-normal) teenager can actually be. Because of this, it set itself apart from the sparkly, everything-is-ok atmospheres that are more typical of shoujo anime.

Characters: What really detracted from the potentially great thematic depth in the plot was the weakness of the characters. Too many of them were too one-dimensional; Megumi was too easy to dislike for her selfishness and Yamato too perfect to really believe: I kept waiting for a flaw of his to be revealed. Obviously the averageness of the other characters served the realism of the show, but at the same time I never really felt that I related strongly to any of them.

Overall, I think this show is quietly good, but it still has a few too many flaws in its characters for me to be able to unreservedly give it above a 7. Still a good watch for shoujo fans, and potentially a good pick for anyone who feels "meh" about shoujo because it's usually so unrealistic.

moonchild15's avatar
Jan 23, 2020

(spoiler free review) average anime. dont c why its popular. basic story and characters. there r better romance shows than dis.

Debsjen's avatar
Jan 12, 2015

Children are mean, that's what I learned when I was young, even in Highschool they don't change much. This anime is what what it is. Slice of life, beautiful and ugly at the same time, more beauty then ugly though.

I didn't expect too much when I started watching this, but I was so drawn to the characters. It beautifully potrays my ideas in life, that you can't judge a book by it's cover. You can never tell what kind of story someone has gone through by just looking at them. Eventhough this is a fairly short anime, I think the character development is pretty good, Some of the characters seem a little under developed though, I would have loved to have seen more of Asami Oikawa, also in the beginning she seems to have bigger breasts then towards the ending.

I usually don't really go for cute or love stories. But this story sort of reminded me of Kimi ni todoke and I loved that story so much. Although I think this story is more realistic in a way. The self doubt Mei goes through while in a relationship, I've been there, I've put myself down and like Aiko Mutou said, I've self destructed relationships more often then not. Most parts of this anime I could relate to, which is probably why I gave it such a high rating. I liked the opening a lot, but after a while the song get's a bit boring because it's sang in child a childlike manner, which is not really my style.

I think even if you usually don't like love stories or slice of life, then this is still a really good watch, but then again, my taste does tend to change over time. You should definitely give this anime a chance, it might surprise you.

CrossedOver's avatar
Nov 22, 2014

From the (albeit small) selection of shoujo centered anime I've taken part in watching, I find 'Suki-tte Ii na yo' to be one of the better ones I have come across. Let me first say that this anime's animation is GORGEOUS, and is probably one of the more realistic styles I've seen. I love how each character can be so expressive with this style; note that I said 'can'.

My only real hangup wih 'Suki-tte Ii na yo' is our cast of characters, specifically our 'breeding pair'. I find that the 'misunderstanding' at the beginning, well, really the way Yamato reacts to it a little fishy. However, I could go past it since it got the pairing together. But, what really bothered me is just how cardboard flat this cast is; they're just static tropes. Mei is our extremely introverted heroine, Yamato our perfect male lead with a dark past, and I don't buy any of the change, especially with Mei. This girl had been TRAUMATISED, thinking that any person she met would eventually betray her. I don't really believe that her entire social outlook could change due to the influence of an individual that's, in my opinion, a little too perfect. Maybe I'm just a cynical guy, I don't know.

On the topic of sound, it is nothing really that notable, but it serves its purpose and never goes at odds with the tone or feeling of the scene.

Plotwise, it's pretty generic, dark pasts literally left and right with this one. Hope you like crying scences and "BETRAYAL!" Additionally, in my opinion, I find the last episode to be pretty lackluster, but I'm more of a 'romantic fluff' person.

Overall, very nice animation hampered with some typical shoujo stew comes together to form a decent romp through 'Dark Past city'. While in retrospect I didn't love it as much as I thought I really did (I went in rating it a 9), those tender moments between Mei and Yamato get me every single time.

8.5/10 sound
Otaku108's avatar
Dec 13, 2014

Moral of the story; no one is without their scars, I think? Well, it's a very endearing love story too.

A wonderfully paced romance with speckling of comedy but a bit too much drama for my tastes. Which probably means if you're into romance dramas with a little comedy relief you're probably going to love this one. My only real problem with it was the final episode, just felt very forced and almost seemed more of a stumble at the end of a wonderful run. Personal opinion aside, it wasn't anything bad just how they did it which irked me.

Animation:

Definitely a well drawn and "true to life" style that I'm mostly a fan of. The characters had a definite uniqueness despite the myriad of browns and black hair with bishi faces. Bonus points for not using primary colors for hair.

Sound:

It had a decent musical score, both the OP and ED were themed well with the tone of the show. None of the voices were screechy or over the top 'cutesy' if you follow my meaning. Did a fine job of keeping the flow of the show going.

For a single season complete story show the amount of characters and the depth into which they go for most of them was impressive. I enjoyed every one of the characters, even the ones you were supposed to dislike. You really felt for most of them and understood their motivations, most of the time (final episode kinda lost me a bit :P). Character progression varried, even with the two main protagonists. This show definitely did something well here.

Overall:

Though I may make it sound to be a big deal, the final episode isn't really bad, I just had a personal taste difference of opinion with how they tied up the show... down to the last possible second. All in all, a show like this doesn't come along very often, well worth the watch, I'd even go so far as to say it's a must see for any romance enthusiast.

Minjiuto's avatar
May 17, 2020

Remarkable. Exceptional. Realistic. Overall, beautiful.

Finally, a story about the actual relationship and just not getting to the relationship. I enjoyed every second of it all. In order to draw in viewers, you have to have a good introduction/pilot episode, right? Well, the intro got me watching more and more until the end. "Say 'I love you'" has gotten me chills and bundles of emotion. While watching, you are able to cry your heart out while laughing at the significant momemts. This anime has a lot to offer, and if you love romance, this is a must watch.

miyane's avatar
Apr 25, 2020

A girl who tries to learn to trust people after being hurt too many times. Ah, I cried so many times watching this anime.

Before I say anything else, I really recommend watching this anime if you've ever been hurt by other people in your life. It's sad, yet healing.

As someone who had their trust broken so badly, I was exactly like Mei in my school years. I relate to her in everything she does, the way she thinks and the way she lives. Which is why every time she gets hurt or cries, I cry too. Tears that had not been cried when I was the most hurt. Even though it's been years, I felt like I was back at school again. I thought I had already recovered, but feelings are such a curious thing. This anime made me feel miserable, made me remember things and feelings I'd rather forget. But I'm grateful for that.

It was so good, so sweet. At first I though Yamato was an asshole, someone who souldn't be trusted. But he grew on me, and at the same time their relationship also grew to be so beautiful. I absolutely loved watching this even though it brought such strong, suppressed feelings to the surface. I really liked this anime.

VamperBelldarkgurl's avatar
Nov 20, 2015

Sukitte ii na yo was one of the best romatic anime i have watched, the storyline is awesome its perfect for otaku's who love to watch romance genre. Its really beautiful to watch how love has grown between tachibana and kurosawa beside all the differences they have... i watched all the episodes in one day this anime is a must to watch.

anka004's avatar
Jul 21, 2017

This Anime was a bit different from the others, but not in a bad way. The others are a little more like a "fairytale" or what I would call it. You feel more in this one, like it could been you, not like "I wish that could happend to me to, but that only happends in fairytales". It's definitely not like that. I realy don't know how to explain this but in Sweden we would say that you could "leva sig in i karaktärerna" in English translated right over (I used Google translate, but sometimes it's totally useless) it would be "live into the characters". Anyway, I'm only 13 and have never got a boyfriend, but I understand more in the lovelife than people think, every little detail about this Anime makes me smile, and every emotinal moment do I feel with Mei or Yamato. This Anime will have a place in my "best anime EVER" list.

PrezJoon's avatar
Jun 12, 2019

What I would like to say is, I read the manga first and it has an amazing storyline that keeps you interested. My only problem with the anime is that it seems to take away the impact of the story.

bbeautiphill's avatar
Jul 13, 2015

I honestly fell in love with this anime.

It has a beautiful animation style and plotline, which really effected my mood each episode. Some episodes make you want to cry, others make you smile. IT's a really sweet story and I recomend it.

I really can relate to the femaie main character, Mei Tachibana. For a really long time, I thought that I too didn't need friends, and then I met a few and I'm really happy with them now. It's been a year or so with my friends and they're all so special to me, and haven't betrayed me yet, which makes me very happy.

Overall, this is the perfect anime and I'm probably going to rewatch it 10000000000000000000 times!

SIDE NOTE: WATCH ALL EPISODES UNTIL THE END

I didnt really start doing that from the beginning but now i will. there is sometimes more after the credit/ending song.

ffcfran's avatar
Oct 14, 2014

This anime was something you dont see in anime alot. Realistic. I couls easily picture everything that happened in it happening in real life. It was sweet and mellow, very down to earth. I loved the characters and their growth as individuals and as a couple. (In case you havent figured it out by the title, picture or descritpion this is a romance based anime). It was a relaxing watch. I didnt jump up and down shouting excitedly or want to cry my eyes out at any point but I felt happpy when things went well for them and sad when it didnt. It evoked all the right kinds of feelings you are supposed to get when you watch something like this. Worth the watch if you want a low energy romantic anime that goes along at a steady pace.

cutechibisheep's avatar
May 24, 2015

This is the most romantic anime I have ever watch, it is amazing. Mei and yamato are the cutest couple ever, I love it when they get worried about each other when they should never doubt each other.

Yookino's avatar
Jun 21, 2017

Say "I love you" is a good anime, but in my opinion i don't think its anime to get obbsses over. Sorry, just my opinion. When i first watched it i was like, "This is actually good." Once i got into it, i didn't really like it as much for some reasn. The charactes are all good and all, but i think its the way they handle their situtaitons. I just not a big fan of the anime, but its good to watch randomly.

heysaturdaysun's avatar
Jan 7, 2018

I can't tell you how much I cried watching this. Growing up with insecurities and self-doubt has made it difficult in my own life to have lasting relationships, especially with the opposite sex. I really appreciate the message of honesty, open communication, and risk-taking to have that fullfilling lasting relationship. Definitely worth the watch. And all the kissing doesn't hurt ;)

Angel88's avatar
Mar 25, 2018

i really like this anime the story is awesome I would recommend it I liked it so much I have have watched this anime 6 times lol 🙃

DATABASEERROR's avatar
Jul 15, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Romanec, School, Shoujo

Additional Info: Looking for those animes with a cool and composed male MC? Then this one is for you.

Ending Rating: 90%

Short Revieww:

Say "I love you" is a very good anime with an outstanding level of sweet romanctic moments. This anime will surely keep you entertain till the end. The romance progress is bizarre so make sure you have saved a space already in your list for this one.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
9.3/10 overall
SlimyRat's avatar
May 1, 2018

Just as a warning. I'm not very experienced at writing reviews. Simply here to be biased and give my opinion to anyone who may be interested. ALSO; I want to make this AS SPOILER FREE as possible, so I'm going to be very loose as I can be and elaborate JUST what I think about said subject versus explaining the story word for word to you.

ONCE AGAIN, **SPOILER FREE**

FIRST OFF

Oh man... Boy does this anime remind me of my earlier teenage years. The days when crushes were actually somewhat of a big deal. Or at least everyone thought so... This anime takes me back to those days. It reminds me of all the embarassing moments where everyone was too nervous to talk to boys, other people or even their friends sometimes. Yup, definitely draws me back some raw emotions here and there, but hey! It's kind of nice to think about those times. This anime is basically the embodiment of everyone's past struggles with socializing and finding relationships around us. All the normal, small, "romancy" type of stuff we all experienced at one point or another.

I'm sure if you take the time to watch this, you'll either find yourself finding a character trait, or attribute similar to something you felt back late middle school, or partially through High School. If you're around the early(ish) High School age, I'm sure you can relate to a lot of this content right now. Either or, this anime is an anime that looks to me like it can always provide a point of relatability, and for those of us who are older maybe something to reminisce on.

STORY

Now, the story wasn't anything extraordinary, nothing to "Ooooo" and "Awww"  over though. The story is lighthearted and sweet. It shows young love and it's inexperienced struggles at its finest. It portrays a great image of how difficult it can be to manage the basics of every day life; the socializing, our appearance, our jobs, punctuality, crushes, etc. I've seen a lot of anime's that lack that character development to portray such emotions through characters. This anime, seems to do a half-decent job of portraying that through some of it's main characters on multiple occassions through each individual episode.

ANIMATION

I don't have much knowledge on different types of animation, I just know what I think is good and the types of animation I don't like-- so I  hope that this is a relatively similar opinion to what people normally think.

I could see the animation in "Say "I love you."" not being everyone's favorite, so I won't go out of my way to brag about how lovely the animation was or anything. For me, personally this type of animation is hard for me to adapt to, I don't really take a specific interest in it-- but in the end, everytime I watch an anime like this I always end up absolutely adoring the animation in the end. ESPECIALLY regarding this form of art style.

However, I do have mixed feelings about this animation style. I feel like it's really soft at times, and then really harsh and aggressive at others. But I think it's done in the right way as well. This is really something for you to judge personally when you start to watch.

SOUND

Once again, I don't think the sound is anything to get too excited over. The Opening and Closing in this anime were just the typical types that I tend to skip over because they don't excite me. I feel like they're kind of lacking, but maybe they portray the emotions of the character as well. I'm not sure, like I said... I don't like them, so I skipped over them. The voice acting seemed alright, and background noises weren't bad either. I love an anime that can pay good attention to detail when it comes to scenes and the right sounds. This wasn't one of them that had great attention to detail in that sense, but I'm also appreciative that there was even a little of that detail.

CHARACTERS

This, this! Now this is something I think the writers executed pretty damn well. The characters were relatable when they needed to be. Each character seemed to have a depth to them and the want to be understood which is something nearly all of us can say we've experienced. They captured what I think to be a very accurate image of the school girl and guy worries. I'll just go over a couple of the characters who I think are worth talking about a little bit;

Mei -

Mei struggles with the constant nagging, empty feeling of loneliness. She feels the whole world is against her. She's hiding and avoiding her problems in fear of betrayal by others, and bullying. As she grows and starts to trust people bit-by-bit you get to see her evolve into a better her who isn't as afraid to trust, and who doesn't want to always shy away. But something that I really admire about this character in specific, and how she's written; is that, she never does trust anyone completely like you often see in other hs romance dramas. In the end she just is doing her best to overcome her fears and learn to trust, which is a good note to end her development on. Well done imo (in my opinon).

Megu-

Megu is that one girl who's struggling to be herself, and can't help but to project her negative aura on to others, using them for greed and connections. That one person who always wants to be the center of everyone's attention and gets upset when the spotlight is drawn to someone else even for a second. Over time Megu builds a community of "friends", and eventually gets backlash for her actions. She's left in this slump of sorts and has to figure out how to overcome it by listening to the thoughts of others. I think overall this character development was good, except for the fact I don't believe that many students in High school actually depict this is as an accurate development. Most people who have these character traits, don't normally pull out of their stubborn ways until later in life. But, that's just me being nit picky. In the end I think the way she dealt with everything was a really good moral statement.

Kai -

Kai was also one of the developments I took note of. We've all had this trouble, where we've gotten hurt or bullied and we want to make the people who have made us that victim hurt as well. We wanted revenge or to make those people sad at one point. Kai also has these same issues, and wants to get that "sweet revenge" and make the ones who once made him suffer, suffer as well. When he does eventually decide that he wants his revenge, this people who once bullied him have moved on to different places and different things and hardly care about what had happened. Kai goes through confusion to eventually realize that he doesn't need to make people take account for their past actions, and it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

OVERALL

I did enjoy this anime for what it was, and while it wasn't God's gift to anime or anything, it was sweet. It was relatable. It held a sort of beauty for what it was. It was short and sweet, which is all it really should be. It was fun and enjoyable, I would recommend giving it a try for what it is if you're interested in all that romance junk.

I hope you enjoyed the word vomit.

7.5/10 animation
Tellthebizz's avatar
Mar 19, 2015

Wonderful balance of love anger tons of twists and turns I really love this anime because it sets off all the emotion and not just an everyday highschool anime

sweetdesu's avatar
Jan 20, 2019

I cannot stress how much I love this anime. I've watched this anime half a dozen times or so, both dubbed and subbed. First let me say, the only reason I gave the story a nine instead of a perfect ten is because there was some conflict in it that just stressed me out, and I can't handle angst very well. I love this anime because of the emotional complexity it has. Mei doesn't want to connect with other people because of how she's always treated by others. However, I feel she actually craves the love others have, which she realizes after finding herself meeting the ever-so-charming Yamato. One of the things I love the most about this anime is that Yamato isn't your typical popular guy. He isn't a total ass who harasses other people or just makes you want to just knock him in the face for his foolery. He's a genuinely kind and compassionate person.

So, along the way, Yamato seriously helps Mei, emotionally and socially, which she works on herself, as well. She learns to trust others, to love others, and how to love herself. Honestly, I cry every time I watch this just to watch the development and struggles she goes through to make herself the best her she can. Yamato also grows as a person because of Mei and his own efforts. Honestly, this anime makes you want to be a better person by the end.

I recommend this anime to everyone!!

Jessiohhh's avatar
Aug 19, 2018

If you like the high school romances, then you should give this a try. It follows a year of school for our main girl and the popular boy that unexpectedly likes her. It would have received a 10 out of 10 if the ending were more resolved.

Eldiria's avatar
May 30, 2015

Sick of love traingles?! Want to see the couple get together in the first few episodes?

This anime is about how a group of people just learn about love and well growing up. It concerntrates mainly on Mei and Yamato and how they deal with highschool and romance. If you like anime such as Toradora, Kimi ni todoke, maid-sama or special a, I would totally recommend ^_^.

Okaii. Seriously this anime is worth watching. Instead of the cliche love stories, boy meets girl and the suddenly a rival appears and you watch who ends up with who ( Not that I am saying that is bad in anyway I love those kind of romance animes too :) ). But there is something different about this anime that makes it all the more enjoyable. Instead of sliding over topics such as sex and feeling conscious about your body this anime hits them right on which to me makes it special.

The intro is so beauitful and just sums up the feel of the anime whilst the animation is  so clean and sharp. Basically if you want a romance anime with comedy fitted in this is for you. It is sweet , funny and just really hits you. Sure there are some moments where you think why?! but what anime doesn't make you feel like that.

-sorry for rambling-

XxRebelAngelxX's avatar
Jul 19, 2017

I'm going to be honest. I didn't start this anime series with high expectations. I had just got done watching a sports anime series, so I wanted to keep going with modern storylines before I went back to watching an anime series that takes place during the Edo period. I digress. Overall, this anime was amazing. I cried twice during it, and I finished the whole every episode back to back. This is a series I simply could not put down and take a break from. I will admit that some of the characters can be quite frustrating, so much so that the you start to feel the awkwardness of a situation the way the characters are feeling the awkwardness, but still. A job well done to the creators. I'm not a huge fan of romance anime series, but this is a must-see!

GothicOtaku's avatar
Sep 1, 2019

I love this series a lot. I absolutely adored the manga. I feel like they should have done more of the story.

lulum2's avatar
Sep 30, 2016

First off, skrillex.

zephyrre's avatar
Oct 21, 2015

Huh. I didn't know there were loner fantasy animes animes with female protagonists too. Also that wasn't a roundhouse kick.

V0MPIRICZ0MBIE's avatar
Feb 3, 2016

This anime is amazing ❤︎ this is my 3rd time watching it, the story line is amazing everything about it is amazing ❤︎ there was a couple times I had to punch a pillow cause I really didnt like the fashion model, cause it was like she was trying to pull everyone away from mei, excpecially mei's bf it really pissed me off, the ending was amazing ❤︎ I kinda wish they wouldve created a second season... oh well, I really recommend this anime to people you like sweet romantic animes ❤︎

jiexi20's avatar
May 25, 2020

If you're looking for a good romance anime, look no further, here it is. At first glance it has cliche written all over it. Let me just say this, it's not. Don't judge a book by its cover, the male lead is popular but he's different from the other popular kids cause he's actually unbearably kind and gets taken advantage of because of it. The lonely girl he meets was hurt too many times and finally found someone to trust. They have their ups and downs and you'll probably cry watching this.

9.8/10 overall
KonaSenpai's avatar
Jan 23, 2018

I loved the storyline and everything the main charactors were awesome.

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Aug 29, 2017

Positive

*My first positive point is the main topic of this anime being coming of age. If you’re familiar with my reviews than you will have definitely noticed my love for coming of age anime’s. I just love seeing characters going through a difficult period in their lives because it delivers so much characterization and usually is the foundation for some drama. And SIny. is a pure coming of age anime. This whole anime is about Mei learning to accepts these feelings she has for Yamato and that there are people out there who can really be your friends. And in this case, I felt a real bond because I could relate to Mei. Not that I’ve been through anything as bad as Mei but I know how it feels to be backstabbed by people who you think are your friends. So overall an anime that uses coming of age will always have that extra bit extra positive in my review.

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*The second positive thing about this anime were several of the characters and the impact that they had on the storyline and the main relationship.

Let’s start with our main male character Yamato. In terms of personality, he was the most interesting character. On one side Yamato is a guy who’s too good for this world and therefor also a complete idiot at certain times. Yamato’s big problem is that he wants to do good for everyone but doesn’t realize how that affects the people closest to him. There are several times in this anime where he’s blind when it comes to seeing the real reason why these characters ask him for help. He wants to help them but fails to see how, by that, he’s hurting Mei and that was of course not very beneficial to the fragile spirit of Mei. It takes other characters like Aiko to straight up tell him in his face what he’s doing wrong.

On top that I also found Yamato to be a hypocrite. When he was “flirting” with other girls he saw that as normal, also because of him being an idiot. But then when another guy starts to show interest in Mei, he acts like he owns her. So I was glad that that shot back into his face because it put him on the other side of the gun and helped him to understand how Mei felt in this type of situations which he found to be perfectly normal.

Which brings me to the second character being Aiko. Apparently she was the only one who could see the real goal behind especially Megumin’s avances towards Yamato and if it wasn’t for her the relationship between Mei and Yamato would have certainly crashed and burned.

And the last character I want to mention here is Kai. I found Kai to be a great character because he’s not the selfish bastard male rival character that is typical for romance anime’s. More than that he’s the catalyst that drove Mei and Yamato’s relationship into the next level because he pushed Yamato with his nose on the facts and again helped him to understand what he’s doing wrong. Because of that he reminded me a lot of Kento from Kimi ni Todoke.

In another way Kai reminded me of Hiroto Suwa from Orange. Despite his feelings for Mei, he does not want to destroy the relationship but help it thrive. Now Suwa did this on a whole other level which made him one of my all time favorite male characters and winner of last year’s JV Anime Award for Best Male Character. But Kai showed lots of resemblance with Suwa and I can only respect characters who put others before themselves.

Negative

*Now there was another character that I liked a lot less being Megumin. Megumin was a despicable character, she’s the worst of the worst. I really hate that type of people who act all friendly in your face but who’s only goal is to bring you down. It has only been 3 weeks since, in my review of Tsuki ga Kirei, I made a whole rant part about people trying to destroy relationships and steal one the lovers away. So despite the sad backstory of Megumin, which honestly was to be expected, I still despised her.

*Besides my personal dislike for Megumin, also overall I had a “problem” with her character being that in contrary to Kai, Megumin was a typical female rival character. The way she acted and and especially how her story is concluded in the second to last episode was something that I’ve seen a lot of times before. Romance anime’s can’t seem to leave a bitch character being a bitch character.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, SIny. was good romance-coming of age anime that had some surprising elements in terms of the characters but it remains one of those romance anime’s that doesn’t really jump out of the crowd. So overall I’m going to rate Sukitte Ii na yo. at 3,5 stars. This is a nice addition to my romance anime collection but it’s not one that shines amongst the rest of them.

6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
7.5/10 characters
7.1/10 overall
skyspread's avatar
Jan 23, 2016

In all honesty it's been ages since I watched this so I can't remember any details.
Though I think that is mostly because I desperately wanted to forget them.

Other than animation, music and voice acting, I was generally unimpressed the entire time I watched this. The one feeling that grew stronger with each episode though, was my dislike for the main guy. I really really really can not stand him. There is no reason to be in love with him- none at all.

Demelza's avatar
Dec 31, 2012

As far as love stories go, it's often very hard to come across one which feels real and that a viewer can actually relate to, I find this even harder in anime. That said, Say I Love You does a surprisingly good job at being a down to earth, relatable, love story, and that's really what made it the best in a season full of romantic series.

We're introduced to Mei, a shy high school student who keeps to herself and doesn't really have any friends, let alone having a boyfriend. Then we have our lead, Yamato. Yamato is the most popular guy in the whole school and could have any girl he wanted as a girlfriend, however, our star falls for shy Mei after a certain incident has the two bump into two each other. The feelings go both ways and within a couple of episodes Mei realises that she two has fallen for the charms of Yamato and really likes him. This is one of the better aspects of the series, because only the first couple of episodes are spent on Yamato and Mei realising how the feel, while the rest are far more focused on the trails and troubles a young couple run into, of which there are many. It's quite hard for Mei to get used to Yamato's attention and often wonders why he'd fall for a girl like her when there are far prettier girls in the school, the show also has Mei make friends with a couple of other girls and does a good job of showcasing the fears one has when being around people they'd consider friends for the first time. Mei has to learn that her friends are there for her and that she can trust and lean on them when needs be, all of which is taught in a respectable way and I feel like the show couldn't really have done better at it. This isn't to say Yamato doesn't have troubles of his own, because he does, and while you can start out seeing him as somewhat of a jerk, once you learn about his past you quickly realise you may have judged too quickly and too harshly on Yamato for all that he's been through.

However the show doesn't drag out the inner feelings and fears Mei and Yamato have for nothing, about halfway through it introduces new characters just to bring out these feelings and for us to watch how Mei and Yamato are going to deal with it. One of these characters is Megumi, a really popular model who transfers to Mei and Yamato's high school and quickly makes it clear that she has feelings for Yamato. This arc of the anime does a very good job of showcasing how a young teenage girl like Mei could deal with being jealous, but to a point it also begins to focus on bulling as the story goes on and begins to focus on Megumi, which is a nice change and also hits home how real the anime feels with its plot. Maybe that's what so refreshing about Say I Love You, the fact that it doesn't sugarcoat anything or throw in needless comedy to soften the blow, it takes itself seriously and shows you everything hoping that you will accept it that way, which is really the best thing it could have done. Mei feels very much like a real teenage girl facing the fears and feelings that a lot of us will face nowadays and it's refreshing to see such a character that can easily be relatable to by modern day girls. Yamato feels a little less real to begin with, purely because he acts like a jerk (much more so than in the manga of which the anime is based off of), but by the end of the series you can happily accept him too.

In terms of animation the series gets it just right, nothing is too flashy, and everything feels down to earth and fitting for such a series. It isn't to say the animation is bad, because it isn't, it's more so that it doesn't go out of its way to be needlessly flashy and impress, settling to be quietly impressive in what it actually does. Character designs aren't all that flashy either, Mei has a simple but cute design, while Yamato and Megumi are both made to look like they would be the popular kids, but there designs aren't made over the top either and again everything seems to slot together nicely.

Where music comes into it the opening theme is very slow and pretty, quite fitting for the series, the ending theme is a bit more up-beat and slightly less fitting for a slow love story, but in the end that doesn't feels too much out of place where it'll spoil anything. The overall soundtrack for the series doesn't stand out too much, with nice piano pieces here and there just to add to the moment, but never being the centre of attention. The music here isn't there to stand out, more to blend into the background and help the scenes as much as it can, which is does mostly flawlessly. You likely won't be remembering it for years to come, but that isn't to say it hasn't worked well for the series.

Say I Love You ends pretty fittingly for its characters and plot. The manga is still on-going and thus more could be added to the anime if they wished to do so, but the series was ended in such a way where you can want more, but also be perfectly happy with what has already been done with the series. The series is a pretty perfect down to earth love story, the likes of which haven't been seen in anime for a couple of years now, and it's always refreshing to see something that didn't need comedy or flashy moments to be a really special show for the viewer.

8.5/10 animation
LitteRabbit's avatar
Jan 10, 2016

This was a very cutesy anime that I absolutely adored. As the title may tip you off, this is for sure a romance anime. I thought that the plot line did a good job of evoking all those crazy emotions that come with this genre. I really liked how this show focused on how big of an impact kindness can have on others, even those who seem quite malicious at first. Everything is tied off pretty well in the end, and felt very satisfying for me. Most of the conflict in this show tends to be geared around misunderstandings and trust and is resolved within one episode so you don't feel too much anguish! All in all, it did a great job of addressing real world topics while keeping everything relatively light hearted. Also, there are cats!!! Cats always make everything 10x better. If you enjoy cute romance, please give this show a shot!