The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace

It looks like it might be ok, but I'm probably going to ski-

The story is by the author of Interspecies Reviewers

giphy.gif

Colour me interested

Episode 1+2:
I'm up-to-date with the manga and remember it had bit of an awkward start.

I wondered how they would handle the rape scene. Didn't expect waltz music.

The rest of the hyperstylized violence is entertaining though.

Holy shit... this is FANTASTIC. Mappa flexing its ball muscles again.

Queue 20+ pages of people having hysterical teary outbursts over THAT scene and Twitter canceling it to oblivion faster than you can read this sentence.

Last edited:
This anime has a lot going for it. It has funny character interactions and some of the discussions between the character is interesting... but being honest.. I could do without the goddamn rape scene, I know it is war and conflict and they wanted to show the atrocities humans lump on each other. But they went and tried to make the shit whimsical.

Fuck them and all they stand for doing shit like that.

This anime has a lot going for it. It has funny character interactions and some of the discussions between the character is interesting... but being honest.. I could do without the goddamn rape scene, I know it is war and conflict and they wanted to show the atrocities humans lump on each other. But they went and tried to make the shit whimsical.

The manga was more explicit and salacious in how they portrayed it, so I honestly kinda prefer it so over-the-top evil like that. It's so over the top that it's ridiculous.
More like a Tarantino movie than a serious attempt at commentary about the human condition and atrocities of war.

well, i liked these two episodes. strong first episode and a bit of an exposition dump in the second
now, that rape scene was obviously not a very good part, but im glad mappa went ahead and somewhat hid it in a way. apparently as said before, and after i checked it out, the manga straight up had an explicit rape scene, so good on mappa for thinking of a good way to hide it
overall, pretty good episodes. this seems to be really good so far. the opening and ending are also pretty amazing

I thought it was kind of all right. Suddenly going all Clockwork Orange 20 minutes into episode was probably not the most tasteful idea, but considering the original manga was a colloborative work between the authors of Interspecies Reviewers and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, "good taste" was never truly on the table to begin with.

Predictable.

A challenge: What was the narrative significance of the scene and what did it imply?

Last edited:
But they went and tried to make the shit whimsical.

I don't see their portrayal of it as whimsical. Waltz music itself seems whimsical, but the music seemed to depict the emotions of the rapists, who were relishing in the rape without a second thought, and so depicting them as truly evil.

This is piled on by the fact that the victim is a nun for whom it's taboo to have sex in general, and it took place in a church making it blasphemous. It seemed to me they tried to drive home the idea that their actions were evil.

The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace (Episode 1, 2)

The backstory is quite interesting. The survival thoughts from earth creatures will summon the Idaten, but the Idaten will only interfere with the extermination of one species by another species, such as the extermination of human beings by the demons. However, the war between human beings doesn't need to be interfered with for the Idaten, so the so-called peaceful generation in the show would be the period of the World War. In this "peaceful" generation for the Idaten, the survival thoughts from the civilians ravaged and slaughtered in the war will still summon the Idaten, but the Idaten don't have to save humans in the war, while the demons lurk in human society, instructing humans to commit the atrocities of the demons in the past. At least in episode 1 and 2 they concealed themselves from the Idaten.

The director was good, who weakened the rape presentation, but even so it was still quite disgusting to watch that part.

Last edited:
Episode 3:
What the show seem to be really good at is violence and comedic timing with the violence. I laughed out loud when Hayato was pissed off and Rin just snaps his neck with that "meep" sounding squeal.

Back