Plastic Memories

I think it's already crashed pretty damn hard. I think a lot of the problems have already been foreshadowed in the first episode. I didn't like the first episode, but I did have faint hopes for it after that episode. Since then the series has almost always made the worst decisions it could. It is indeed a show that is trying to run in five different directions, but the unfocused first episode tipped me off to that.

The writing is just godawful and emotionally manipulative. It's not bad enough that he's trying to appeal to her emotions and the Security guys get painted as bad guys, but little Timmy has to show up at the last second as well because the security guys suck at their job as well.

The direction of this show is making me dizzy. What are we going to have next week, a musical?

Yes please :megusta:
Everybody has already said what needed to be said. What bothered me the most, aside from obvious design failure of the Giftias,
was that they tried to pull the "Oh, but they're as good as human, so putting a transmitter in them would be unethical" card. Bitches please. I think it has been painfully obvious that Giftias are quite different from humans and if putting a transmitter in them can help in preventing fucking tragedies then, by all means, please put a transmitter in them. Or you know, make it that the transmitter activates when they need to be retrieved or something. Shouldn't be that hard if your technology can also make highly functioning androids.
Tsundere-chan gets no sympathy points from me either. At least she acknowledged that it was largely her fault.

And was Souta there the whole time? I found it weird that he suddenly turned up, but then realised he might have tagged along? Either way, it's stupid. Why would they take a small child with them on a potentially dangerous mission?

And last of all, why the fuck did Tsukasa not just shoot her the first time he had the chance? The entire time I was just sitting there, wondering why he just wouldn't pull the trigger. Ffs, MC, it's really not supposed to be a hard choice. The Giftia is already far gone and you've got a child to protect, so just pull that damn trigger. Fuuuu----...

And last of all, why the fuck did Tsukasa not just shoot her the first time he had the chance? The entire time I was just sitting there, wondering why he just wouldn't pull the trigger. Ffs, MC, it's really not supposed to be a hard choice. The Giftia is already far gone and you've got a child to protect, so just pull that damn trigger. Fuuuu----...

Hahahaha! My thought exactly! Are you stupid or what??? Standing there like an ass between the famous haystacks. But... but... she is really a good and a nice robot... Whine, whine... But she is ten times stronger than a human and she is strangeling a boy you moron!!! By all means, don't hurt her feelings! :frustrat:
And what about that cliffhanger?! I could almost bet money on that he shot Isla when he finally pulled the trigger.
Double-:frustrat:

Yeah, that was the implication when they showed the board at the end, but hey the noobie untrained guy should certainly get the special gun while the security guys get just regular bullets.

Episode 6. Wow. Amazing plot twists.

After setting up the cliff hanger that Isla was shot at the end of the last episode ... she just wasn't. Nothing clever, no last minute saves. She just wasn't in the way of the shot.

Whining kid whines about not being able to see Marcia again, forgetting that she tried to throttle the life out of him.

This week's genre was painful rom-com.

Then there was a few minutes of drama as the eminently dense MC found out about Isla's runtime, something that everyone else worked out from ep1.

Then there was some more painful comedy post-credits.

If this show goes any further downhill, it's going to have to open a mine.

Episode 6:

This wasn't the worst episode and offensively stupid like the last one but it sure was pretty dull and extremely predictable. I really have almost nothing to say because it just reverts mostly back to it's usual routine and tone on a bunch of generic bullshit SOL/Rom-com antics I've seen a million times before and some small amount of weak drama thrown in as salad dressing. Man, so exciting to see Isla acting all moe here with our typical nice guy MC. Yeah, if it wasn't anymore obvious, I still really just can't give a shit about this weak romance.

Last edited:
Episode 6.
...Yeah, I'm done here.

2 out of 5.

I'm with you there this time, but I'm pass the episode count threshold were I just can't jump ship despite the flames.

Should have went with my gut feeling and dropped this around ep 2 or 3..........

Episode 7:

Complete and total utter waste of time, what the hell am I doing with my life? The show's slipped into being utterly repetitive now and more or less formulaic with barely anything noteworthy of real substance going on most of the time. I'm really not watching this because I want to see some sappy dating sim play out so whatever, I think I might just refrain from commenting next time since it's a total snooze anyway.

Episode 7:

Complete and total utter waste of time, what the hell am I doing with my life? The show's slipped into being utterly repetitive now and more or less formulaic with barely anything noteworthy of real substance going on most of the time. I'm really not watching this because I want to see some sappy dating sim play out so whatever, I think I might just refrain from commenting next time since it's a total snooze anyway.

You beat me to it. Another episode, another complete shift in tone. This time to dreadful bland slush.

half the episode is him not asking her out because minor inconveniences get in the way. The second half is them going on a very boring date with a sentimental soundtrack which tries to evoke the feelings that the lack of characterisation and writing miss out.

Then he faints, because they couldn't think of another way to end it.

How has it taken him seven episodes to notice that her diary is only half full?

I think Isla is lucky

when her run time is up, at least she won't be able to remember being in this boring anime.

Episode 7:

Not even worth the time it would take to type something. Just read the post above mine and the quoted post to get the gist of what I think about this episode.

Such a waste of a perfectly good setting and premise.

Wasn't really all that taken with the premier of this since I'm not the crowd for tearjerkers and haven't seen it since then. Anyone mind telling me whether or not this is worth catching up to?

Wasn't really all that taken with the premier of this since I'm not the crowd for tearjerkers and haven't seen it since then. Anyone mind telling me whether or not this is worth catching up to?

The last few posts should give you an idea. The first episode was the best by a long, long way, so if you didn't really enjoy that I'd say save your time on the others. I wish I had! :)

Unless you feel the need for a dull generic comedy drama in your life then I'd steer clear. The premise is interesting, but it wasted on dull cardboard characters that can't do anything but follow the same old same anime cliches. At first it seemed nice that the characters in this were adults, but in the end they act exactly the same as the dumb immature teenagers in every bad high school anime.

Well, damn, I was actually really looking forward to this one because it reminded me so much of Eve no Jikan. After reading all the comments, though, I don't think I'll be watching a third episode...

There was a lot of potential in the premise, to explore the nature of memory and whether the experience of relating to them are what make you human. GitS: Arise is doing what Plastic Memories should have been doing and exploring the nature of the mind. I was honestly thinking that the "malfunction" the androids suffer from after 7 years was something akin to self-awareness - a sort of forced evolution in an attempt to better understand the humans they live with, but it sounds like they're doing fuck all with that detail.

I was honestly thinking that the "malfunction" the androids suffer from after 7 years was something akin to self-awareness - a sort of forced evolution in an attempt to better understand the humans they live with, but it sounds like they're doing fuck all with that detail.

I thought something similar, that they were 'retrieved' because they would become self aware after a certain time, and the whole "they go mad" thing was just a ruse to cover that up. I thought the series would be about uncovering that secret, and asking if machines can really be human. But no, these androids that look after the elderly and little kids just go muderously insane when their timer runs out. We wouldn't want any plot getting in the way of the rom-com.

Back