Plastic Memories

I thought that the android almost was TO human. I mean, nervous, sad, clumsy and even about to pee in her pant if they didn't find a toilet? They could almost have been humans if we didn't were told that they were not. Are they programmed to be that way or have they "learned" those "skills"? In Eve no Jikan the androids had a special way to akt that you could see (except the halo) but here...
It would be interesting to see if they will act like robots sometime or if they just like other humans until they are switched off.

Episode 1.
This is basically like Blade Runner, but instead of Harrison Ford, there's boobs. I can roll with that.

This is the most appealing synop I've seen for this show. They should get you to write the box blurb. I didn't even feel for starting this but now I'm not so sure.

Episode 1:

I thought this episode sucked pretty hard.
It might not be a high school setting, but we're presented with the same old cliches which made it hard to gravitate to any of the characters. The comedy was pretty fucking abysmal and ill timed as well, the only time I laughed is when the chick droid face planted off the roof. The actual retrievals sucked this episode too because we don't spend any time with them. Seeing off Edward wasn't really sad because we know jack shit about those people. I guess if you make up your own story about them it is kinda sad, but the story I made up was the old couple was keeping Edward as a sex slave. Which begs the question: Can you fuck them? Probably was the biggest question I was left with after the episode. The retrieval with Nina was the closest we get to an actual story but it is relegated to a few minutes at the end and I found the pee joke after that to be quite off putting.

However this was the first episode and I do see potential. The world is interesting and I do have questions that I would like answered. I imagine if this show can make good episodic episodes then we could get something emotionally effective but the writing is going to have to do much better. The first episode gets a little bit of a pass because it has to set up the premise and the characters, the problem is I don't care about any of the boring characters which just leaves the premise. There's also the chance that the characters could develop, but I am not holding my breathe, my hope for this series is we get some interesting retrievals and the comedy goes to die in a fire.

But seriously..can you fuck them?

That's ZK for ya, asking all the hardhitting questions!
The answer is probably yes and rule 34 states that there's already fanart about it

Episode 2

Far less impact and finally unveiling a part of the plot that probably everyone was already aware off in the climax of the episode after the credits. it wasn't a bad episode but not a great follow up on the prior one.

Gotta agree with Etue here. Episode felt really slow and unfocused and the "reveal" at the end was... well, kinda underwhelming.

Yeah, I am now not very impressed at all and it felt padded as hell to get to that underwhelming reveal. The characters are getting to be a snore and very stock while the interactions were the same way. Worst offenders being generic MC-kun and red-haired Tsundere especially.

Also, I'm going to have to this time iterate what ZK said last episode, the comedy's just dreadful and distracting for the most part. I don't like it very much and personally speaking, I think it wastes valuable screen time on what could be used for more important things as it just hasn't gotten any funnier in my honest opinion. It's really disappointing because I was expecting a little more exploration of the premise itself here and so far it seems like Naotaka's falling back into being wildly inconsistent with his writing again like he usually is.

Hoping for a better next episode.

Ugh, the whole potential with this series is in the setting. If they're not going to explore that more then this is going to turn into a slog.

Episode 2

I pretty much agree with everybody that's saying that this episode was a little disappointing compared to the premiere last week.

I definitely would've liked to see a little more of the mechanic pair at the end of this episode.

I'm pretty sure everybody was expecting Isla's time to be running short, but I definitely didn't expect her to only have 2,000 hours left. I wonder when our MC is going to find out that she only has less than three months to live.

This episode was exactly what I didn't want from this series.

Dull characters doing shitty comedy routines I've seen a million times before. Isla having a very limited time left was really predictable from the start so the work up to the big reveal doesn't work. Once again they waste so much time with inconsequential bullshit that we don't get to spend any time with the retrieval story this week. The only thing we get out of it is some really bad physical comedy because it's funny for a 'droid to be some damn clumsy and awkward or something.

The pool physical test thing is so fucking silly. They've got some shabby ass office with a huge science complex underneath? That makes no sense and takes away from the feel the rest of the office design is going for.

So far the setting and premise of the series are both wasted. Giving Isla cancer would have the same result as this convoluted set up with androids and shit. I like the set up and think there are interesting stories to tell with it, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case instead it's more like window dressing for a story we've seen a million times before.

I cringed quite a bit when I wasn't rolling my eyes. The office characters need an injection of personality. The main character is dull as dishwater and his awkward relationship with Isla is about as compelling as watching a mop and bucket get along. The orange and red haired chicks are both seriously awful, I have no idea why their character types are so popular.

Episode 2

I pretty much agree with everybody that's saying that this episode was a little disappointing compared to the premiere last week.

I definitely would've liked to see a little more of the mechanic pair at the end of this episode.

I'm pretty sure everybody was expecting Isla's time to be running short, but I definitely didn't expect her to only have 2,000 hours left. I wonder when our MC is going to find out that she only has less than three months to live.

Probably after they fall in love.

Of course he'll be the last one to know at the most dramatic moment possible because that's the kind of show this is going to be. The main character is dense as bunt cake and he'll not notice or misinterpret any hints.

The main character is one of the weakest characters so far. There's nothing to him other than his character archetype and he blends together with all the other bland characters of his type. You could plug in any of the characters like him and no difference would be made. He's another blank slate character for the certain parts of the audience to project themselves onto. Then they can think about being abused by the abusive ladies and awkwardly interact with Isla.

The rest of the cast are equally empty but they're not expected to carry the show. I guess the new guy introduced this episode had a bit more personality but even he is a pretty common character type.

As cardboard as the MC is, I'll probably get even more pissed off if the comedy hijinx keeps overshadowing the whole tone of the show like this and if it gets any worse. But at this rate, I guess I should give up hope that'll ever stop persisting since it seems pretty dead set on keeping it around.

Episode 3.
I liked it.
Didn't care for the drama at the end, but the rest was quite funny. Especially Tsukasa's numerous failed attempts to impress Isla. The exercising and crossdressing are tied for bits that made me laugh the most.
Good stuff.

^Opposite reaction

ep 3

I think the show would to better with a more serious tone. I think it wants to be drama heavy at heart, all the comedy leads to attempts of drama what seems to be the main plot point. but the generic goofy element to the show robs it of anything that would have made it felt remotely good as a whole by the end.

and I am starting to despise the male lead.

^ Pretty much, the male lead's basically a massive twat in my opinion here. Also, I've just about given up hope almost completely on the show as it seems to be more interested in devolving into generic rom com/ecchi bullshit territory now than trying to do anything meaningful with itself.

Back