Hanebado!

Episode 13:

Well, at least nobody died.

Yeah, what everyone else said. Nothing that happens here is earned and the Ayano bloodline can go fuck itself. I admit I got invested for a couple of minutes during that last match (the minimalist climax was so good), but good things don't last forever. Sigh. Pouring one out for Nagisa and her 67 triceps. Y'all deserved better than this.

2/5

EDIT: Slept on it and decided to bump my score up an extra 0.5 points. It's terrible, but I wasn't bored the whole time I was watching this, so that's always a plus.

Last edited:
Wow, how to ruin something that could've been incredible. Worst. MC. Ever. I'm baffled at how incredible this show looked, when it's completely undeserving and has by far the trashiest story of any sport series I've watched. The matches themselves were a blast though... but why did they have to ruin it :/.

3/5

I find it amazing no one in the show insulted Hanesaki's mother, not Hanesaki, not Elena, not Hanesaki's grandparents.
If I was her friend I would say to the mother:
"What the hell are you doing here?
Do you know what did to her?
What she's been through?
You are not only a bad parent, you are a horrible person."
Hears stupid excuse about I wanted her to become a better player and respond:
"You need to go to a psychiatrist, now please get away from her."
Also WTF is wrong with Connie?
She does a ridiculous heel-face turn with no reason at all, why the hell would she act like she acted when they first saw each other?
I literally wanted to throw a racket to her face in that episode.
Everything ended too well, Nagisa won, Hanesaki realized the error of her ways, her mother was able to make the relationship slightly better.
I honestly would've liked for Hanesaki to win, tell her mother to f*** off and become a worse person and Nagisa to despair in the loss and blow her knee out.
I really liked the show, the ending was disappointing and 2 of the characters are really badly written, but it gives a perspective on sport that isn't approached in most sports anime I think.
I actually liked Hanesaki's character.

Last edited:
Instead of the broken family drama why couldn't the show been mostly what the last 2 episodes were. Fun to watch sports matches...

Attitude girl is losing, lol.
8, now 7 behind.
I assume Ayano will start having "fun" again in the finale.
It was hard to tell what happened, but Ayano lost.

LOL that attitude at the end. <3

3.0/5 (above average)
Best girl: Ayano

Last edited:
TL;DW
A poor attempt at recreating Hibike! Euphonium with badminton as the theme.
At least some characters and the art were decent. And props for making CG that doesn't make my eyes wanna commit suicide.

I put off watching the finale because I had a bad feeling about it.

Turns out it was unfounded.

-Nagisa won. Thank. Fuck. For that. Her reaction to the win was actually very satisfying.
-Looks like she didn't bust her knee as the price for the win. Surprisingly, another shitty trope has been avoided.
-The badminton action was fine again, although I could have done without the overdramatization, text over black screens and whatnot.
-Mandatory Fuck Ayano.
-Mandatory Fuck Her Mom.

3/5 Just because of best girl, and a major failing grade without her. It's kind of a tragedy how low this show was brought down by its plethora of shitty characters, nonsensical storylines and heavy-handed direction, because the potential for something all-around memorable was there. It's the first sports anime I bothered with for a while and it's just a shame it didn't live up to my expectations - which weren't even that big, mind you.

I find it amazing no one in the show insulted Hanesaki's mother, not Hanesaki, not Elena, not Hanesaki's grandparents.
I actually liked Hanesaki's character.

I greatly concur this feeling. All throughout the show I actually liked Hanesaki.

Don't get me wrong her personality shifts are still a little too sudden I can agree with that much, but honestly the problem has never been Hanesaki as much as it is the terribly written characters surrounding her her whole life. To be honest, I was never watching this show for badminton or sports because sports anime are really just... boring on their own. Its the characters I care about.

Now if you were "raised" by a psycho-mom, encountered a psych-rival, got replaced by a blonde bimbo, and then literally everyone who represents all of these traumas comes back to haunt you LIVE not on Television, but on stage in your backyard, forcefully, I highly doubt you will be mentally stable either. Pink haired thot, blonde thot, no brain "mom" all are beyond TERRIBLE characters. Her mom especially is not a character but a plot device because nothing she does makes sense.

However Hanesaki being a total ass to everyone after being absorbed into the sport and all of her old wounds being dug up... I'm not a Badminton loli so I can't relate on such a level, but personality shifts and mental breaks because of old wounds being dug up by the people who caused said trauma are real enough to me that I can empathize with Hanesaki.

Though someone did mention that they don't even write her in a way that you can empathize with her, which I can agree with. In fact there was just no real redemption for her character being dragged down by the poor writing by the end with how her internal conflicts are resolved, as well as the fact she forgave her mother. If this show was written properly I would have definitely cried instead of sighing when she thanked Elena for being with her all that time.

Maybe if blonde bimbo was an overseas transfer student that her mother seemingly doted on too much while she was sick and her mother dies in an accident during said doting, everything would've panned out much better as a backdrop for lingering trauma regarding badminton and her relations to blonde bimbo and pink goth.

I feel like there's a world where even the ending might've been OK if there was proper build up and characterization of Hanesaki where she gradually resolves her internal conflicts and moves past her past and lives life because there's more to life than badminton, and there's more to badminton than winning. She doesn't forgive all of the bad characters forced onto her life, but she faces them with a clear heart and clear grip on her own life and where she wants to take it not being driven by anyone else's motives.

But I suppose if the writers could write this, they wouldn't need to hinge on plot devices for "characters", and resolve conflicts the same episode they appear, or leave said conflict festering with no proper development given in the mean time.

Still I believe Hanesaki as a character did nothing wrong and I only hate the garbage writers for making everyone around her insufferable thots or plain useless to the plot. Nagisa's alright yeah I guess. She's generic sport MC done pretty decently, but that's all she is to me.

All throughout the show I actually liked Hanesaki.
IZ0p79H.gif

Back