General Advice Thread

Ctrl + Shift + T

giphy.gif

Sprinkle water on fabric if there's too much static
Funny thing about this trick is that sometimes it works, sometimes it just plain doesn't freaking work. I wear long skirts 99% of the time and static's a problem because obviously I am a witch and the fabric just glues itself to the back of my legs. Flattering for my butt but generally a massive nuisance.

In the end, anti-static spray has quickly become my best friend.

One I learned from an ex Navy guy not too long ago:
"If you ever suspect something is hot or has an electrical current running through it - and you have to check it - use the back of your hand, not your fingertips. You may still be burnt/shocked, but you won't be useless if you are"
"Trust me, I know these circuts like the back of my hand. Too well...

far too well..."

"love yourself before you can be loved" is some of the worst advice you can ever receive or give to someone. If you don't love yourself, maybe you struggle with mental health problems, then all it does is create a cycle of shame and guilt, and can make you feel even worse about yourself.

The only requirements for being loved, is to find someone who loves you.

"love yourself before you can be loved" is some of the worst advice you can ever receive or give to someone. If you don't love yourself, maybe you struggle with mental health problems, then all it does is create a cycle of shame and guilt, and can make you feel even worse about yourself.

Loving yourself is hard enough even if you don't struggle with other problems. Making it a prerequisite for other people to love you is a nonsense. True love is about loving someone regardless of how they feel about themselves, and sometimes it's the fact that someone else loves us that helps us to love (or at least accept) ourselves.

Generally, I think life advice that can fit on a fridge magnet or a bumper sticker is best avoided.

Loving yourself is hard enough even if you don't struggle with other problems. Making it a prerequisite for other people to love you is a nonsense. True love is about loving someone regardless of how they feel about themselves, and sometimes it's the fact that someone else loves us that helps us to love (or at least accept) ourselves.
Agreed, I know for a fact that not loving yourself would not affect my own affection for anything, it's certain. In fact I'm less of a fan of people with big egos in general but that doesn't matter as much, I just don't know many people who will avoid or ignore people with bad self esteem on that merit alone.

True love is about loving someone regardless of how they feel about themselves, and sometimes it's the fact that someone else loves us that helps us to love (or at least accept) ourselves.
I'm loathe to say what true love is or should be, I think you can love someone and want them to change, or have small parts of them that you'd like them to improve on, and sometimes that can be that you want them to have more positive thoughts about themselves. There's a difference between that and thinking someone should just love them self whole heartedly. And a bigger difference between that and expecting people to achieve that impossible pedestal before being able to receive another person's love.

Tricky one for me, this. I struggled with really bad self-esteem issues before, so I was mad at myself, and that anger manifested in the way I treated other people. It was only when I learned to become comfortable with myself and accept these things as they are that I learned to treat other people better. It didn't take someone else's love to change my behavior - it was more because people started getting tired of my shit. So I'm still working to change my outlook by improving the way I see myself, so that I can be confident enough to improve the way I interact with others.

I agree that the pressure shouldn't be on you to find love, but it does a world of good to not hate yourself first before expecting other people to like you.

Back