Food Wars! Shokugeki no Souma

Re: Shokugeki no Soma (manga)

Chapter 139:

I don't think it will surprise anyone that knows me when I say I reaalllly hate this current arc. Azami is exactly the kind of shounen antagonist that I despise the most. He doesn't fit the tone of the series at all and he's completely unnecessary in this type of story.

The amount of power the Student Council has is fucking stupid as was their decision to oust Senzaemon for this new asshat. Their power also really limits the amount of threat Azami poses, because they can get rid of him at the drop of a hat if he pisses them off enough. However, right now it appears most of them are eating out of his hand for no reason. The council was a diverse group and I doubt they'd all agree to such sweeping changes. What's he done to ingratiate himself to all these different members? Or am I supposed to believe the council is made up of a bunch of reckless jerks that wants to shake up the system just for the sake of it?

I'm also not buy that the council approved of everyone just learning their cooking style. It seems excessively vein and doesn't match with the impression of the council that was made in their earlier appearances.

Brad and BB have already covered most of this stuff, but I just had to chime in with my agreement because of how strongly I dislike the turn the story has taken recently.

Pretty much what ZK said.
Plenty things annoyed me in this chapter, but what actually really rustled my jimmies was
Eizan at the end. It's a bullshit, cheap attempt at trying to make Eizan relevant again.
It's obvious they were going to do something with Eizan a while ago, but then had a change of mind on it as the autumn election arc went on. It never went further than him being implied to be the man behind Mimasaka during that arc.

This is just a lazy way to make him seem like a threat.

Chapter 140
Oh my goooooods, this is so fucking LAME!
VfjCSkl.gif

140:

Z0BoYqZ.jpg

This arc has been bad, but this was a shark jump moment.
Invalidating the Shokugeki invalidates the entire concept of the manga.

Who wants to bet that Soma challenges him next chapter anyway?

Hopefully the manga can recover after the inevitable Deus ex Doujima comes to fix everything, but these are going to be some goddamn painful months to suffer through...

At this point, I just hope that this doesn't get resolved by Souma's food being "just too good" to be declared the loser.

At this point, I just hope that this doesn't get resolved by Souma's food being "just too good" to be declared the loser.

This is one of the only two options available right now. Either someone in authority is going to show up and force a fair match or Souma's chicken will smell so good that they can't help, but taste it.

Both options are pretty lame, but that's the manga's written itself into a corner. I was thinking that Souma might get expelled for a while, but now that Polar Star is being immediately evicted there's no time for that. Something has to give.

If I had to guess, then I'd say that it'll go the Souma's food is too tantalizing not to taste route, because only Eizan will get crushed. Unfortunately, after all this set up Azami is going to be around for a while so he isn't going to get any direct challenges to his authority any time soon.

I guess I'll just have to weather this storm and hope the manga will be able to get itself back on track eventually.

I'm just gonna skip out on this manga for a while. Notify me when the arc seems to be over.

In the end I think all this arc will amount to is the inclusion of Erina as a regular.
And I bet Doujima becomes the new Director eventually.

Maybe, just maybe, Souma will just straight up stab Eizan and this will become a different manga entirely.

Otherwise, the only way I could get behind a "Souma's food is just too good" plot device would be if he went cannibalistic and filleted some of Eizan's skin, or took some body part for him and cooked it up as his dish.

Maybe, just maybe, Souma will just straight up stab Eizan and this will become a different manga entirely.

Otherwise, the only way I could get behind a "Souma's food is just too good" plot device would be if he went cannibalistic and filleted some of Eizan's skin, or took some body part for him and cooked it up as his dish.

Sadly that would still be more food oriented than the manga has been for a couple of months.

I really want this to happen right now. Like, really. Damn you for creating these unrealistic expectations!

That face though:
bi46dl.jpg

Otherwise, looks like it's developing towards a "fair" Shokugeki with Souma probably winning and taking over as the new 9th Seat. Blah, blah, blah... I want some gyoza now though. I should learn how to make them...

Man.
Eizan better pull out some mad awesome cooking skills after all this bullshit.

I want this manga to make me hungry again.

144:

Good to see Eizen has always been a douche. No lame attempt at a pathetic backstory here.

Next chapter is going to go one of two ways either this is going to end up being a rehash of the Shinomiya Shokugeki or Soma is going give the judges a smellgasm so they just have to eat his food. The first route isn't good, but the second one is even worse. There's pretty much nothing that would ever believably make these judges turn against Eizen.

I don't really want to see a rehash of Shinomiya either because Eizen isn't even half the character that Shinomiya was. Also, it was always clear Shinomiya loved cooking, he wasn'ta profits driven dick like Eizen so the same kind of turnaround from Eizen wouldn't be believable.

This part made me laugh though:
2435m4m.jpg

They already showed one of the judges reacting to Souma's cooking, so it seems pretty safe to assume that the Shokugeki is going to be one where they end up tasting Souma's food, despite kicking and screaming saying they won't.

At this point, Souma will either win, tie with Eizen, or some higher up, probably Azami, will step in and nullify the Shokugeki, deeming Souma as interesting and then he'll try to bring him over to the dark side of cooking.

I think it would go against Azami's characterization for him to step in. Soma is anathema to everything Azami stands for. He's not saving Soma because he finds him interesting. To him Soma is just the kind of trash the school needs to be rid of. The only way I think Azami might step in is if he comes to crush Eizen for not being good enough and not living up to Azami's ideals. Although I think that would still be a pretty crap way to go about things.

145:

The explanation for Eizen's dish and the ensuing foodgasms were both pretty truncated and felt halfassed. Just look at Rindou's understated reaction to the dish, she barely even seems fazed by it. Given what we've seen in the past this was a pretty pathetic response. This was supposed to be the moment that showed what a great cook Eizen is, but it felt much more like a whimper than a bang.

Even worse is that Eizen falls for such an obvious manipulation from Soma. It's the equivalent of little kids calling each other chicken. I have trouble believing a guy this easily provoked would have been able to rise to the top due to his business acumen.

Now all that's left is for Soma to change Eizen's mind with his dish.

This manga has fallen pretty far. The lackluster food descriptions and underwhelming foodgasms both just made me feel kinda sad.

I wonder if Eizen has to attend a special school in order to learn to contort his face like he does...

15e8f3r.png

It does seem like explanations have simply changed from allusions and examples to mere text. That being said, it's not like I really care about Eizen. They made a big deal out of how he's supposed to be a first-class businessman, so if his cooking doesn't have much depth then i'm not all that surprised. They went out of their way to tell us how he basically did what was necessary to achieve success, and didn't necessarily develop a unique flavor. To me, it seems like his skill is textbook at best.

Eizen is kind of a bitch, and has been shown to be easily provocable. That's probably his personality. He uses underhanded tactics and acts like he's superior, and when things don't go his way or he isn't in control he starts to whine and kick. Seems legit.

But, it's not like Souma has pulled out anything really special either. To be honest, the thought of a whole chicken wing stuffed into a gyoza seems a little weird. Almost unappealing. I'm not sure what he could do to transform it to a point where it'd beat out a gourmet dish either... this win seems like it's going to be a stretch.

I'm fine with Eizen being a petty, underhanded and smug, but to have the level of success he's supposed to have had in business he should have a little bit of composure and not fall apart the minute Soma calls him a chicken. Someone in Eizen's position would have had tons of verbal abuse and provocations thrown at him, he shouldn't be so easy to shake. Part success in business is being able to keep a level head, but Eizen can't even handle elementary school level taunting.

As for his cooking the last couple of chapters have went out of their way to prove that Eizen's cooking is legit and he's not just there due to his skills in business. He may not be particularly interested in the cooking side of things, but they made it clear that to be in the elite ten he still had to have some major skills in the the kitchen.

Back